Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

200px-Small_Red_Rose.JPG

222px-Rosa_sp.181.jpg
rw01.jpg
250px-Bridal_pink_-_morwell_rose_garden.jpg
One of the great problems with the various theories of Diversification being promulgated in the middle of the 19th century was the lack of a mechanism for inheritance of features. However, this was quickly rectified through the work of famed flower horticulturalist Thomas Owsley of the Virginia Owsleys. Owsley published his observations on the statistics of blending inheritance in a series of papers throughout the 1850s. Crossing flowers such as roses or snapdragons could develop true breeding strains of red or white, for example, but not pink. Owsely discovered, however, that if he bred truebreeding red and white strains together, all the offspring would be pink. However, the more important observation was that when those pink hybrids of red and white were cross-bred, they would produce all three colors in a ratio of 1 Red: 2 Pink: 1 White, thus suggesting that inherited traits for red and white existed and their pairing with like traits or unlike traits would determine the color of the bloom.
snapdragon.gif

Last edited:
Some people who contributed names got there name as presidents and all i got was some flower dude :mad:.

(Im Kidding, Im glad one of my contributed names got to be used in any way, shape or form)

Dude, your name was Gregor Mendel! That's more important than almost anyone else in the TL in the grand scheme of things :mad:

Glen

Some people who contributed names got there name as presidents and all i got was some flower dude :mad:.

(Im Kidding, Im glad one of my contributed names got to be used in any way, shape or form)

Dude, your name was Gregor Mendel! That's more important than almost anyone else in the TL in the grand scheme of things :mad:

A Virginian discovers genetics! Hooray for the Old Dominion!

Yes, you get a flower dude (actually, the presidents have, by and large, not come from other member's names - care to guess where some of them came from?). And yes, the flower dude's contribution is huge in terms of impact. And yes, let's hear it for the Old Dominion (which, BTW, the Virginia of TTL does not really use).

And yes, let's hear it for the Old Dominion (which, BTW, the Virginia of TTL does not really use).

Any reason why? Virginia of OTL still slaps the name on everywhere despite being a major economic and manpower source of the Revolution.

Glen

The first Prime Minister of the Dominion of Southern America was Southern Civil War General and Founding Father of the Dominion, James Randolph. Prime Minister Randolph was a noted leader of the Loyalists in the conflict, and it was the Loyalists, particularly those from Carleton and North Carolina, who dominated the Dominion level politics of British Southern America. Randolph led the Dominion through those first vital years of rebuilding and federation, and thus can rightly be said to be a father of the nation. He held the post of Prime Minister from 1845 to 1852, after which he resigned from the post, citing health reasons.

The post of Prime Minister was next assumed by North Carolinian John Howe Jr., famed publicist of the Loyalist cause. His tenure as Prime Minister coincided roughly with the occupancy of the American Presidency by federalist Benjamin Hull Kays. The Federalists of America were traditionally pro-British, and indeed the Kays administration had amiable relations with the Dominion, even while competing to complete a transcontinental railway. Prime Minister Howe retained office for another 7 years, until his retirement from politics in 1859.

The third Prime Minister of the Dominion was once more a Loyalist stalwart, founding father of the Dominion, and a prominant Loyalist General in the Southern Civil War, Carletonian Horatio Grymes. Grymes continued the legacy of rebuilding and stability set by his predecessors, but was an old man even at the time of his assumption of the office. Prime Minister Grimes became the first Prime Minister of the DSA to die in office in 1862.

Residence of the Prime Minister
of the Dominion of Southern America
hay-house.jpg

in the 19th century was often one of conflict. The British crown assumed control of the former Dutch colony at the beginning of the century, much to the chagrin of the white Dutch settlers, often called Trekboers. Attempts to bring in British settlers (in many ways to act as buffers between African tribes and Trekboer settlers) had decidedly mixed results. Trekboer attempts to move north and east beyond British control seemed to succeed for a brief span, but the British would subsequently reassert their control.

The greatest stress on South Africa was the ending of slavery throughout the British Empire in the 1830s. When British Southern America erupted in rebellion and civil war, the Trekboers took advantage to once again move beyond nominal British control. However, the Zulus also took advantage of British distraction in British Southern America (as well as the region around Sierra Leon) to initiate a war to drive the Trekboers out of what the Zulus considered their territory. A bloody war of strike and counterstrike developed through the rest of the late 1830s and into the 1840s. By the time the Southern Civil War subsided, the Zulus had gained the upper hand, driving Trekboers back into British South Africa.

And then the Zulu made the mistake of following into British South Africa....

The thing I see that's strange from this is that the Zulus wouldn't cross such great distances to attack the Boers, I don't think. They were interested about defending their claimed territory in Natal but there are many tribes between them and the British. If the ascendancy of Shaka went per OTL then the Zulu should be in a bit of a mess right now.

And the Boers that went on the Great Trek were known as Voortrekkers. If I'm not wrong Trekboers were nomadic herders in the Great Karoo.

Glen

The thing I see that's strange from this is that the Zulus wouldn't cross such great distances to attack the Boers, I don't think. They were interested about defending their claimed territory in Natal but there are many tribes between them and the British. If the ascendancy of Shaka went per OTL then the Zulu should be in a bit of a mess right now.

The Zulu were asccendent in the area as per OTL, but not as 'in a mess' by the time the Boers arrived, thus their ability to stand up to them - by the time that the Boers were beaten, however, the Zulus were about in OTL's state of mess.

And the Boers that went on the Great Trek were known as Voortrekkers. If I'm not wrong Trekboers were nomadic herders in the Great Karoo.

The Trekboer term seemed to have been more generic before the Great Trek. Here with the essential failure of the Great Trek, the term Voortrekker never comes into use.

The Zulu were asccendent in the area as per OTL, but not as 'in a mess' by the time the Boers arrived, thus their ability to stand up to them - by the time that the Boers were beaten, however, the Zulus were about in OTL's state of mess.

Ah, alright then.

Glen

Is there a list of presidents, somewhere. Kinda curious.
First 10 Presidents of the United States of America
  1. George Washington - No Party Affiliation - 1789-1797
  2. John Adams - Federalist - 1797-1805
  3. Thomas Jefferson - Democratic-Republican - 1805-1813
  4. James Madison - Federalist - 1813-1821
  5. John Quincey Adams - Federalist - 1821-1829
  6. John Andrew Schulze - Democratic-Republican - 1829-1837
  7. Peter Buell Porter - Federalist - 1837-1841
  8. Pierre Nicolas de Condorcet - Democrat* - 1841-1849
  9. Benjamin Hull Kays - Federalist - 1849-1857
  10. Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt - Federalist - 1857-1865
* The Democratic-Republican Party's name was shortened to the Democratic Party in the 1840s.

Last edited: