Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

President Kays was a stern but caring president, sometimes referred to a a second father of the nation. His two terms, from 1853 to 1861, were ones of peace, prosperity, and stable growth for the nation, marred only by continued strife with Plains Indians in the territories. Many attributed his successes as paving the way for the continuation of Federalist occupancy of the presidency, when Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt, son of steamboat inventor and magnate, Nicholas Roosevelt, won the presidency in 1860.

2421_109443213356.gif

Glen

While President Nicholas Roosevelt was able to hold onto the presidency for the Federalists in the 1864 election, by the open election of 1868, the nation was experiencing Federalist fatigue, and a Democrat again ascended to the presidency. Anthony Wayne Tullis (named after General 'Mad' Anthony Wayne, one of the founders of the Legion of the United States) was a gentleman farmer and dark horse candidate from Ohio, but whose family had roots going back to colonial Virginia.

President Anthony Wayne Tullis

Tullis touchup.PNG

1. Pennsylvania
  2. Delaware
  3. New Jersey
  4. Connecticut
  5. Massachusetts
  6. Maryland
  7. Virginia
  8. Quebec
  9. New Hampshire
  10. New York
  11. Nova Scotia
  12. Rhode Island
  13. Newfoundland
  14. Vermont
  15. Kentucky
  16. Ohio
  17. Ontario
  18. Wabash
  19. Maine
  20. Illinois
  21. Huron
  22. Michigan
  23. Missouri
  24. Mississippi
  25. Oregon
  26. California
  27. Minnesota

Glen

this is moving along VERY fast!

It was my birthday yesterday; I had time. And the presidential posts are more to get them out there while I had time to pull some ideas together. We've still a bit more to do to fill out the 1850s, and we've only started to touch ono the 1860s.

Glen

This map of North America in the 1850s shows the 27 states and 8 territories of the United States of America of the time. It should be noted that during the Kays Administration, the naming conventions of US states and territories began to shift towards the names of the earliest Presidents of the United States. The Adams Territory was the remainder of the old Missouri Territory, comprised of land taken during the War of 1804, acquired during President Adam's tenure as president. The Jefferson Territory was the remainder of the Oregon Country, the final rights to which had been negotiatied in the Transcontinental Treaty by the Jefferson administration. Not coincidentally, the naming of these two territories meant one each was from the Federalist and Democratic (previously called Democratic-Republican) parties. For the remaining territories in the Southwest along the border, the Colorado Territory had already been named under the older nomenclature system, but some argued for renaming the territory using the presidential system. Schulze was the president under which the territory had been acquired, but it was felt that he was too 'recent' a president to name a territory after, and so some suggested that the territory be renamed Washington, for the founding president of America, as it seemed wrong to have territories named after other founding-father presidents but not the founding president. In the end, Colorado Territory retained its name, but a new territory was created out of the old Missouri Territory lands below the 40th parallel, which was named Washington Territory.

1850s DSA and USA.png

Last edited:

Glen

Seeing North America in all its glory, eh? :D Great work. The newer states and their names are very natural-seeming.

Thanks! Trying to get a bigger and better map for North America has been a process, to say the least. I have tried to have the territorial evolution of the map driven by the terrain and history involved. Given that many of the names harken from the time before the POD of this timeline, they still are familiar to us.

Glen

My current best guess as to years of admission of states to the United States of America.

1. Pennsylvania - 1787
  2. Delaware - 1787
  3. New Jersey - 1787
  4. Connecticut - 1788
  5. Massachusetts - 1788
  6. Maryland - 1788
  7. Virginia - 1788
  8. Quebec - 1788
  9. New Hampshire - 1788
  10. New York - 1788
  11. Nova Scotia - 1789
  12. Rhode Island - 1789
  13. Newfoundland - 1791
  14. Vermont - 1791
  15. Kentucky - 1792
  16. Ohio - 1803
  17. Ontario - 1809
  18. Wabash - 1814
  19. Maine - 1815
  20. Illinois - 1816
  21. Huron - 1820
  22. Michigan - 1830
  23. Missouri - 1836
  24. Mississippi - 1842
  25. Oregon - 1849
  26. California - 1849
  27. Minnesota - 1853

Thanks! Trying to get a bigger and better map for North America has been a process, to say the least. I have tried to have the territorial evolution of the map driven by the terrain and history involved. Given that many of the names harken from the time before the POD of this timeline, they still are familiar to us.
Where'd you get that blank map?

EDIT: And very realistic states and borders on your map.

Glen

?I am wondering about state map jigsaw Puzzles ITTL?.

?Maybe a NA Map instead of just the US?.

Oh, I think that the USA is big enough to warrant its own jigsaw puzzle. It's the DSA ones that are more likely to run to North American ones.

Another interesting update. How is the settlement of the US west going, faster the OTL in the absence of the OTL South-West or slower without Southern settlers?