Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Thus was the territory of British California replaced by the Dominion Province of Albion.
I am wondering about Nascar, and about the Baja 500 [winning speed 46.5 mph- 9hr 46 min]

?Also with different France did whe still get the Metric system?

An interesting OTL map 'liberated' from the LTTW discussion thread.

attachment.php

It would appear to be a French copy of one of Cook's first maps

Glen

Cool an Early Catholic President.
I assume the Catholic Church will have a much greater role in the united states because they lose the non catholic south (Lousiana is an exception), and they gain the Catholic Quebec

You are basically correct - President Condorcet is only nominally Catholic, however.

I don't recall who all has been president here in this timeline, but is Condorcet the first to have spoken a language other than English at home during his upbringing? In our timeline, that distinction belonged to Martin Van Buren.

Unless Schulze spoke something else, then yes, he would have been the firt, as his first language was French, though he does speak fluent English as well.

Glen

Oooh, a nice original bit. I always wondered how a USA would deal with an early Francophone President (even if he pulls a Van Buren and makes English his primary language).

Thanks - in this USA a Francophone President is not that big a deal, and in any case this one is indeed fully bilingual (call it a half-Van Buren).

I presume there's still no real conflict between Francophones and Anglophones by this point in the timeline, which would be nice to hear. :)

Good work once more!

Oh, no more than what there was between OTL Canadians, maybe a little less in fact.

Glen

I am wondering about Nascar, and about the Baja 500 [winning speed 46.5 mph- 9hr 46 min]

Hmmm....well....NASCAR developed out of bootlegging which developed out of dry counties and prohibition which developed out of (in the South) Baptist morals.

ITTL, Baptists aren't that big in the South, therefore prohibition or eve dry counties are unlikely, so bootlegging is not likely to be a big business, so stock car racing (NASCAR) is in serious doubt....

?Also with different France did whe still get the Metric system?

Revolutionary France ITTL did develop a metric system. Whether it will continue to grow over time remains to be seen.

Glen

DEISMUS
After the Liberal War and the formation of the Empire of Germany, there was a surge in liberalization throughout Germany. While the Kingdom of Hanover still had as its official religion Lutheranism, with King George as its head, the Empire of Germany of which George was Kaiser had no official religion, and in fact could not have without tearing the multidenominational state apart. While this was mostly to avoid conflicts between Lutherans and Catholics in Germany, the real impact of the new tolerance was to give room for expression of previously dormant or repressed faiths. Judaism was able to come out of the ghetto, for example. Deism, which had had a strong showing amongst the German intelligentsia in the 18th century, showed a resurgence, looking to France and even America as role models.

Last edited:

Glen

After the Liberal War and the formation of the Empire of Germany, there was a surge in liberalization throughout Germany. While the Kingdom of Hanover still had as its official religion Lutheranism, with King George as its head, the Empire of Germany of which George was Kaiser had no official religion, and in fact could not have without tearing the multidenominational state apart. While this was mostly to avoid conflicts between Lutherans and Catholics in Germany, the real impact of the new tolerance was to give room for expression of previously dormant or repressed faiths. Judaism was able to come out of the ghetto, for example. Deism, which had had a strong showing amongst the German intelligentsia in the 18th century, showed a resurgence, looking to France and even America as role models.

This one I probably should expand a bit, see if I can come up with a link or two, at least a picture. However, the links will be getting rarer and rarer now that we are getting so far away from OTL.

Glen

This one I probably should expand a bit, see if I can come up with a link or two, at least a picture. However, the links will be getting rarer and rarer now that we are getting so far away from OTL.

Well, all I came up with was a big header in German for Deism. Oh well, too tired - more tomorrow hopefully.

Glen

The last of the states straddling the Mississippi River to join the Union was the state of Minnesota, named after the river that comprised much of its southern border with the neighboring state of Mississippi. The naming of the state itself, while traditional in the region (naming after major lakes or rivers) was by no means certain, and many went back and forth before deciding on acquiescing on Minnesota. One of the major objections was the near proximity of so many states starting with the letter 'M' - Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, and now Minnesota. However, other possible names like Red River or St Croix (even one movement to rename Mississippi as South Mississippi and then make Minnesota North Mississippi) failed to gain traction.

The state's southern border is the north border of Mississippi, comprised of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers. Where the St Croix River meets the Mississippi, a line heading due north to the westernmost tip of Lake Superior, and then following the lake to where the riverine system, including Rainy Lake and Rainy River, leading to the Lake of the Woods comprises the eastern boundary of the state. From where the 49th parallel meets the Lake of the Woods, heading due west until the 49th strikes the Red River of the North, runs the northern border of the state, and then southward upstream along the Red River of the North and then the Bois de Sioux River the border courses until the Red River comes nearest Lake Minnesota, and the shortest line to contect the two rivers completes the border.

It should also be noted that there was some talk early on of annexing the Lake Winnepeg region to the state, but the distance between the Minnesotan population which hugged the Mississippi and Minnesota River border in the south and the hardy Metis trappers and their families who claimed the Lake Winnepeg region made this an unlikely pairing.

DSA Minn.png

Last edited:
That seems a sensible way of dividing the Old North-West into states though I agree with those moaning about having too many states beginning with M.

Glen

That seems a sensible way of dividing the Old North-West into states though I agree with those moaning about having too many states beginning with M.

Thank you - and yeah, I think it is going to be a while before we see another state starting with 'M'.

Glen

With the admission of Minnesota as the 27th state of the United States of America, the flag of the United States looked thus.

USA in DSA 1855.gif

Glen

Could you provide a list of the states so far in order of admission?

Not at the moment - they are in order (roughly) as presented in the Finished Timelines and Scenarios version of the Dominion of Southern America. Now, if some eager beaver wants to pull a rough draft list together off of that, I can probably polish it to a timeline compliant format.;)

Glen

While the glib President Condorcet had been able to easily win reelection in 1848, the open election of 1852 saw the Democrats lose the presidency once more to the Federalists when Benjamin Hull Kays was elected to the office. The road to the presidency may have started as far back as two generations earlier, with President Kays' grandfather, John Kays. A Scotsman who had come as a child to America, John Kays joined the American Revolution and was notable for being an aide and bodyguard to then General Washington. John Kays eventually retired from the Continental Army and became a prominant farmer in Northern New Jersey. This may have been the end of the association of the Kays and George Washington if it weren't for the selection of the site of Kingston, New York for the new capital district for the United States. George Washington invited several of his old army veterans to visit the new District of Columbia, among them John Kays and his family. The Kays children would be frequent visitors to the capital city, and his son David became a prominant supporter of the Federalists, which he passed on to his son, Benjamin, culminating in his elevation to the highest office in the land.

Grave marker of President Kays' grandfather and bodyguard to General Washington, John Kays.
20256599_118350790436.jpg

Last edited: