A Gilded Cross

My thoughts are that is that the crusaders are going to be quite involved with the ERE for quite a while. So is their going to be any future consessions to make the crusaders stay and fight?

My thoughts are that is that the crusaders are going to be quite involved with the ERE for quite a while. So is their going to be any future consessions to make the crusaders stay and fight?

Yes and No. Well in the immediate future there will be concessions to keep the crusaders fighting. But as time progresses and the leadership of the empire changes hands, the policy towards the crusaders will change. i.e for Romanos IV he needs the crusaders to keep his regime propped up. For many in the empire the Crusaders are seen as a pest, something that future emperors like Nikephoros III and Andronikos I Komenos, and David II Lasakrid are going to play up to keep their regime and their dynasty in powers. In this case of David II and Andronikos I this may mean more that not giving concessions to the Crusaders. But right now the ERE needs the Crusaders to survive, Romanos IV knows this, the Crusader leaders (Stephen II, Robert Guiscard) know this, thus Romanos IV knows that he is going to make to make some concessions (often in the form of Trade Rights or Land) to maintain his empire from the Turks. Unfortunately his successor don't see the same way.

A Gilded Cross

Battle of Malatya pt.2

oE79A.png

The Last Stand of Romanos IV

The Cavalry charge smashed right into the left flank of the Saracen forces. Disorder swept across the left flank as the Kultamish struggled to regain control. Kultamish using the last of his reserves marched forth to support the left flank. A bloody melee began. Nestor of Philadelphia described the events “Romanos and his men fought bravely that day. Tooth and nail they fought, both attack as if god was behind them. The blood of both sides mingled as the bodies began to pile in an ungracious heap. There seemed to be no stop. “ As the battle began to turn into a bloody melee Romanos attempted to get Nikephoros Bryennios to attack. If Nikephoros attacked it would add the needed wait to break the left flank and claim a decisive victory, yet something happened. No knows to this day the reason for his actions, but when Nikephoros received the orders to attack he sent the messenger away and took his army and marched away from the field of battle, he as well took a large amount of the archers and siege engines. His timing couldn’t have been more unfortunate or fortunate depending on how was asked. When Kultamish received word of Nikephoros treachery he decided to use his trump card, taking a small amount of troop he lead the to a small cliff and light a signal fire. Within moments Dansihmend’s rearguard that had not yet been seen at the battle arrived smashing into what was left of Romanos reserves taking many of the siege engines left on the cliff. A small regiment of knight but up a valiant fight but it was for not as the overwhelming numbers of the Turks massed over the Crusader lines and massacred them to the last man, but it still bought the crusaders enough time to gather as many of the injured, Eustache included and non-combatants as possible and escape.

Romanos still refused to give up despite Alexios urgings for a need to call a retreat. Romanos refused to be remembered as the man who lost the empire twice. He is famously remembered as saying this “ My dear, Alexios I refuse to be remembered as the man who doomed the empire.” With the rearguard bearing down on him and the massive Turkish army refusing to budge he decided to take what was left of his cavalry force and charge Kultamish own personal guard on the hill. The resulting duel is famous. Suleimin ibn Qattash recalls the event “Romanos lead the charge, against the great Kultamish. Yet for all of the fury, the foolish man refused to accept that defeat and that any attempt to kill our Sultan would be meet with death. Yet still he attacked, and thus he would pay the price in his blood. He was able to make it past the wall of spears and cut his way to Kultamish. But by that time his god had turned against him. A spear pierced his horse and he thrown from it. Kultamish got off his horse Romanos getting up charged at him with and axe. Kultamish like the master of the blade he was side step him and pierced him in the side with his sword. Romanos fell to his knees. All around him his feeble warriors were falling to the righteous steel of our swords. As Kultamish approached him Romanos swung upwards-removing Kultamish hand from his hand. Kultamish fell backwards as loyal soldiers descended upon him. He fought bravely but futilely, his eye had been stabbed out by a blade a sword wounds covered his body. On his knees he looked up at the one handed general who stood above him with a sword his sole hand and in one swift motion clean severed the head of the foolish emperor who thought he could withstand the might of the great Kultamish. His head having been removed was but on a stake and Kultamish personal banner carrier carry it ran to front lines shout the words “your king is dead. And soon you shall be to for Allah wills it.” Alexios who had survived the charge gathered what was left of the Crusaders and fought a fighting retreat, the battle was lost the Empire was doomed.

With the defeat of the Romans at Malatya the last of the Doukid had died. Romanos death spell the end of the dynasty, his son having had died when he lost the throne. Now civil war spilled all over the empire. Nikephoros Bryennios raced to towards Constantinople to grab the throne yet he was not alone for the race; Alexios Komenos was too weak to actively fight against him. Thus leaving the hotheaded Phileratos Brachimios as the only other contender to throne. The next stage to the Great Greek Civil War, which started shortly after Manzikert, had begun. Yet Byzantine Empire was not only nation facing a period of unrest and civil war. Back on Isfahan, news of the victory at Malatya spread throughout the empire and massive celebrations overtook the empire. In Isfahan celebration lasted for week until news that deemed celebration had been announced. Malik Shah’s wife was pregnant; it would be his 2nd child the 1st being a daughter. Yet this news was not well received by Kultamish. Kultamish had believed that his father Alp Arslan had over looked him in succession and that he should have been sultan. With the potential of a heir being produced meant that Kultamish chances of being Sultan were gone if the child was a male so Kultamish decided to use his popularity to his advantage. Kultamish split his army giving a portion of it to Danishmend to use to secure Anatolia, a job that he would do so well but not in the way that Kultamish expected nor desired. Danishmend would use the opportunity to carve his own kingdom out of Byzantine Empire. Kultamish travelled across the empire gathering support under the pretext of getting reinforcements for invasion of Greece. In reality he was speaking to governors and generals about a coup d’etat against Malik. Things were going well for Kultamish as he was quickly gathering support, until his arrival in city of Baghdad while speaking with the governor of city an aide overheard their conversation and rode to the capital where he personally told the Sultan of the news. After consulting his generals and his advisors about the situation he proclaimed his brother an outlaw and a civil war descended over the empire. Back in Asia Minor the Crusaders were meeting in the city of Kalonoros to decide what to do next. Yet this meeting would receive an unexpected guest.

Death

Banned
A great job describing a gory battle scene.:)

And a plot twist at the end of the update that makes me want fast forward time and read the next update.

I think this TL is a pretty dam good.

Thanks guys for your supports. The guest or should I say guests are going to play a huge role in whether or not the crusades are a success or not. Also 1 of these guest is going to be the reason between the tensions and anger between the Crusaders and the Greek people.

A Gilded Cross

Norman Invasions

Sack_of_Rome_1527.jpeg

Sack of Cornith

Roger I had easily defeated the last of the Moors on the island of Sicily. As part of his promise to the Pope he agreed to travel with the army and head to the Middle East to join the Crusaders. Yet Roger had over goals in mind. He gathered his army and began to sail. It was at Corfu were his real intentions were revealed. Corfu was the first stop on Rogers trip to the Holy Land. He entered the port city and in the harbours to stock up on supplies. The governor of the island went to meet him. Roger I killed the governor in brutal fashion and sacked the island. Leaving a small garrison on the island he soon left. He took the various Island Keflonia and Ithaca in similar fashion. By the time he arrived in the city of Patras in had become routine. Yet a something went wrong at Patras news got out about the Norman atrocities, alreting the attention of the Strategos of the region Leontios Pokarious. Leontios gathered an army to take back the city, the resulting battle of Patras lead to a crushing defeat on the hands of the Greeks. Most of Peloponnese had fallen to the Normans and their forces. Now many wonder how these conquest could have happened, the death of the Romanos IV had lead to massive chaos as many general fought against each other for the throne thus making the conquest a cake walk. Much of the countryside was burned by the retreating Greeks yet this had little effect on the Normans who were being supplied by sea. The Normans were able to besieged Corinth and trap the Greeks inside it. Being able to blockade the city they were able force into submission as disease and hunger ran rampant through out the city. Leontios surrender to the Normans but the Norman blood just over took them and sacked the city. Leontios describes in his diaries “the Blood filled the cobble streets of the city, I heard screams. Children ripped apart from their mothers, women being attacked. Houses burning. The screams still echoes in my head. What have I done? What have I done? Leontios would commit suicide in shame a few weeks later by strangling himself with some rope in his cell. But this was not the end, now in control of the citadel of Cornith; the Normans would strengthen it making it one of the most impenetrable fortress in Europe. Its walls that equaled those in Constantinople would stand until the Rise of Karamids in 1473. To this day there is not one statue or street name named after Roger I in all of Greece, despite the fact that he is considered a national hero in Italy.

Rogers I reign of terror would continue well after Corinth, he was able to conquer and dominate the Islands of Crete, Mykonos, Rhodes, and Cyprus in similar fashion before he meet with the Crusaders at Kalonoros. Yet other things were happening in the region of Aremina Cilica. During the reign of Philaretos as governor of the region he offered Armenians the opportunity to immigrate to the region. Though the reason of this was to diminish the population of Armenia, it was great success. One of the princes who came was Ruben, who had close ties with the last Armenian king, Gagik II. Ruben was alongside the Armenian ruler Gagik when he went to Constantinople upon the Byzantine emperor's request. Instead of negotiating peace, however, the king was forced to cede his Armenian lands and live in exile. In 1073, shortly after the death of Romanos IV and sacking of Corfu, Ruben organized an band of Armenian troops and revolted against the Byzantine Empire. Many other Armenian nobles joined him. Thus, in 1073, the foundations of the independent Armenian kingdom of Cilicia, and the future kingdom, were laid under Ruben's leadership. Ruben was able to gather enough support to march on the capital of the region Tarsus. By sheer force of numbers and the cowardly nature of the governor there Ruben was able to take the city with much trouble. Ruben quickly expanded through out the region. The population of the Armenia received a boast when Armenians in the Seljuk Empire came under threat by civil war. Many Syrians and Armenia fled across the boarder into the new kingdom. Ruben using this newfound strength gathered an army and went to Kalonoros to rid himself of the biggest threat to his rule the Crusaders. Thus this how Roger I of Sicily and Ruben I of Armenia Cilica found themselves at Kalonoros, and how on of the epic standoffs in the crusades history began.

Good update. It was too obvious that King Roger would attack the ERE at Corfu & Cia. However, I really doubt, I really really doubt that they will be able to hold the Pelopponese against a revitalized ERE. Corinth might have had a great citadel but the supply lines would be cut off by the Roman Navy. It would eventually starve out and surrender to Alexios I/Isaac II. What I can see about the future of Norman Greece are some coastal fortresses e.g. Monemvasias and Nafplio, but really nothing special or strong. Rhodes, Crete and Cyprus are ticky too. The Normans would never hold on Cyprus and it would either go to Egypt, Armenia or Rhomania. They would have problems in controlling Crete too. They would probably have some revolts in Corfu and other islands of the coast of Epirus but they would manage to hold them for a good time. Well, at least until Sicily is faced with a war in Italy or Sicily itself.

Good update. It was too obvious that King Roger would attack the ERE at Corfu & Cia. However, I really doubt, I really really doubt that they will be able to hold the Pelopponese against a revitalized ERE. Corinth might have had a great citadel but the supply lines would be cut off by the Roman Navy. It would eventually starve out and surrender to Alexios I/Isaac II. What I can see about the future of Norman Greece are some coastal fortresses e.g. Monemvasias and Nafplio, but really nothing special or strong. Rhodes, Crete and Cyprus are ticky too. The Normans would never hold on Cyprus and it would either go to Egypt, Armenia or Rhomania. They would have problems in controlling Crete too. They would probably have some revolts in Corfu and other islands of the coast of Epirus but they would manage to hold them for a good time. Well, at least until Sicily is faced with a war in Italy or Sicily itself.

I guess I was foreshadowing that one for a while now. The Normans will not be able to maintaining control of Peloponnese, and Cyprus. Cyprus will shift hands between the Armenians, Seljuks, and the Crusaders. The Normans will be able to keep some minot ports on the Pelopponese. But it should be remembered that the Normans are going to be a powerhouse in the Mediterranean for years to come.

A Gilded Cross​

Special delivery from Kalonoros to Levant

9PQrl.jpg

The Fall of Antioch by Giovanni Fazzari

When Roger I arrived at Kalonoros he was meet with an unexpected surprise. Ruben I’s army had amassed outside of the city was about to besiege it. The Crusaders were in a desperate shape having been more or less cut off from supplies and stuck in the city for a month. The arrival of Roger I was a peculiar event as he had arrived shortly before negotiations had began. Tensions overfilled both camps as the talks began on the plains outside the city. The talks was long, as both sides held their trump cards, for the Crusaders ,who were being lead by Stephen II of Blois who had become the leader of the crusaders due to diplomatic voice and skills on the field of battle, and Robert Guiscard, their trump card was the new reinforcements. For the Armenians they held superiority in numbers and held the strategic high ground around the city. But Stephen was able to get Ruben to stand down; there was no need to fight. But Ruben refused to go unless the Crusaders recognized his newborn country. Stephen agreed to do so only as long as Armenia would serve as a new launch point for the crusades and join them in their fight. Both sides agreed and a crisis was averted. The Army travelled from Kalonoros to Tarsus where they were able to regroup and think of a plan to take the Holy Land.

As usual the Crusaders were divided on how to do it. Some believed that they should take advantage of their fleet and sail down towards the port city of Acre and then use it as a base to take Jerusalem. Other believed that they needed to first liberate the city of Antioch then head south to Jerusalem. For days the Crusaders argued everything from tactics to supply lines. Finally on October 15, 1074 the Crusaders had made up their mind they were going to split the army into two. One army would be lead by Robert Guiscard, Roger I, Eustache, and Lampert of Hungary. The other division would be lead Stephen II, Richard of Capua, Radovan, and Domenica Selvo they would also be assisted by Ruben I. On November 2, 1074 the second army arrived at Antioch and besieged the city. The siege lasted for several months. Through out the winter the Crusaders using whatever siege engines they could, attempted to storm the city but with little effect. The defenders quickly repulsed everything they threw at the city. It would take a daring mission personally lead by Richard of Capua to take the city. During the pitch of night a small group of Crusaders scaled the walls of the city and slowly snuck into the city and approached the gates of the city. After massacring the guard Richard opened the gate and light a signal fire. Within minutes Crusaders were in the city sacking it for it’s riches. Antioch was back in the hand of the crusaders. In a mass at the St. Peter Cathedral Stephen II was crowned the Prince of Antioch in a grand ceremony. The 1st crusader state was born. Stephen II took the vast majority of the army down south towards Jerusalem, leaving a garrison under the command of Adhemar de Lodeve. Stephen then head south were he besieged the city of Tripoli. At Acre another battle was raging. The fleet had arrived in the city around the same time as Stephen had arrived in Antioch. Using the fleet they were able to blockade the city and send the vast majority of the army around to surround the city. The siege was a brutal one as disease took it toll on both sides. Using the use of siege engines built in the area the Crusaders attempted to break into the city. Finally on April 26, 1074 the Crusaders were able to break a hole in the walls and battle began over the breach. Lambert I of Hungary lead the charge through the barricade. After hours of fighting the crusaders were able to breach the city and Lambert entered the city and took the citadel. For his actions and his position as 3rd of the throne for Hungary Roger I gave Lambert the title of Duke of Acre. The Crusaders had succeeded to gain the key in capturing two crucial cities on the road to Jerusalem. Yet despite their experience nothing could prepare them for what was going come next. Hassan i Sabbah had arrived in the Holy Land.

sorry it's taking so long to get through the 1st crusade. But I promise that their will only be about 3 more updates till it's done. Looking forward though is their any specific region you guys would like me to take look at first (I have already planed out updates relating to the Iberian Peninsula, and the Kievian Rus)

Good update! I wonder if they will be able to take Jerusalem.

sorry it's taking so long to get through the 1st crusade. But I promise that their will only be about 3 more updates till it's done. Looking forward though is their any specific region you guys would like me to take look at first (I have already planed out updates relating to the Iberian Peninsula, and the Kievian Rus)
Of course I'd love to see something about the Romans :D

Good update! I wonder if they will be able to take Jerusalem.

Of course I'd love to see something about the Romans :D

Of Course the Romans will show, what kind of person do you think I am :p
But alas they will come last as much of the 2nd crusade has to do with repercussion in the empire.

So far I am think off touching upon Spain and Kiev in detail then give a broad overview in the rest of world then get into events in the Greece and the Seljuk Empire

A Gilded Cross

The Campaigns of Hassan I Sabbah.

Asabah2.jpg

Hassan i Sabbah on Campaign in the Levant

The success at Antioch and Acre were quite short lived. The two armies advanced rapidly after their initial victories. The Cities of Tyre, Tripoli, Nazareth, and Jaffa fell to the Crusaders. Mostly after quick sieges many of the garrison surrendered on sight to the Crusader well aware of what they were capable of. In June of 1074 it seemed likely that even Jerusalem would fall to the crusaders. That was until the Battle of Bethlehem just outside of Jerusalem. Using tactics yet unseen by the Crusaders the Egyptian army infiltrated the Crusader camp and began to kill the knights one by one, slowly making their way towards the center of the camp. Inside the main tent the generals were making plans for their siege against the holy city. It was then the Assassins struck in the first recorded action by their order. The Assassins attacking the generals, injuring Duke Lambert I, and killing several other important Norman nobles. Their attack caused a distraction as the Crusaders desperately tried to figure out what was going on. But as the tensions in the camp returned too normal, Hassan struck. Hassan used the distraction made by the Assassins to get his army in place for an ambush. The attack came suddenly and without warning. Arrows appeared as if out of the sky and decimated the Crusader army. Robert Guiscard personally lost his eye during the attack incapacitating him for the rest of the fight. Hassan’s army descended on the camp with such fury that even the mighty Norman knights began to flee. The attack caught the army completely off guard, and a massive rout began. The Saracen army chased the Crusader army out of the city.

After the defeat at Bethlehem, the crusader army fell into disarray and panic. Without the reinforcements their would be no one they would be able to survive in the Levant none the lest keep their gains and take Jerusalem. A messenger was sent to the army currently besieging the city of Beirut with news of the defeat. Stephen acted immediately and marched south in hopes of saving his brethren. Hassan was able to defeat the Crusaders in a quick battle outside of Ramla. Finally outside the city of Ashdod did Hassan meet the main crusader force, which had just recently merged with the Crusader army from the north. The battle began in a traditional fashion with horse archers harassing the flanks. Yet the Crusaders held to the position on the cliff near the city so Hassan sent the main branch of his army forwards to meet the crusaders. The Crusaders decided to hold pelting the Sacaren army with arrows and anything else they could throw at the Sacaren army. Hassan charged the Crusader force smash directly into frontlines. The line held and it looks like the Crusader might even win. Then things began to unravel, the knights on the left flank lead by Domenica Selvo got fed up of being pelted by arrows and charged the Muslim cavalry. Stephen II and Robert Guiscard tried desperate to stop him before it was too late but to no avail. Selvo charged the Archers who fled providing and opening for the Hassan to exploit. Using his reserves he charged the now open left flank. The Crusader lines slowly began to buckle, and the left flank collapsed. The Muslim cavalry decimated Selvo force; Selvo himself was killed during the fighting. The Cavalry then charged the left flank sending the deathblow for the Crusader army. A rout broke out, as much as Stephen tried to stop the tide of battle there was no hope the Crusaders had lost. After the battle what was left of the Crusader army fled to Jaffa to make it’s last stand. In Antioch agents of the Seljuk Turks lead a revolt against the Crusader garrison there, and it’s commander Adhemar de Lodeve was executed and the city returned to the rule of the Seljuk empire openly proclaiming it’s support to Kultamish. With what seemed to be a rapid collapse of the crusade it is quite shocking that finishing blow did not happen right after the battle of Ashdod. The Reason for this was the arrival of the Caliph Al-Afdal. Al-Afdal was becoming jealous of Hassan i Sabbah success on the battlefield, and feared what his growing popularity could do to his empire. So he decided that he should have the final glory of beating down the crusaders. Since Hassan was still a subject of Caliph he was forced to wait for two weeks for Al-Afdal to arrive in the camp and take over control. With his arrival they marched to Jaffa for the final battle of the war.

A Gilded Cross

The End of 1st Crusade.

LBUVg.jpg

Richard I rallying the Sicilians at the Battle of Jaffa

The Battle of Jaffa was in many ways a battle that decided the fate of the Middle East as a whole. Hassan marched to the city of Jaffa with his army of 25,000 troops, among them Caliph Al-Afdal. Through out their march to the city the difference between the two men began to show. Hassan was a man of strategy, slowly plotting out his moves as if in a game of chess. While Al-Afdal was devoutly religious and arrogant man who quickly becoming jealous of Hassan i Sabbah and his success on the battlefield. The two men regularly clashed on battle tactics, Sabbah did not want to take any chances, wishing to assure his victory first. Al-Afdal on the other hand believed that victory was already at hand and all they had to do was march. For all it counted it was Al-Afdal opinion that matter the most he decided to march his army straight for Jaffa with all due hast. Drawing the Egyptian army directly into a trap. Robert Guiscard the great Sicilian general and former Duke of Antioch Stephen II of Blois realized that the crusaders could not survive another direct attack from Hassan, and hoped to use the division between Hassan and Al-Afdal to their advantage. Using the hills and the cliff surrounding the main road towards the city to their advantage. Stephen decided to hide a large margin of his troops there. Roger I, and Robert Guiscard agreed to take the Sicilian army and hold the line on the main road a present battle to the Egyptians and lure them into the trap. When the Egyptian army marched towards the city they witnessed the Sicilian army before them. Hassan preached caution, knowing full well that the army he fought at Ramla was much larger than the one before him now. Yet Al-Afdal hungry for glory ignored his brilliant General and attacked the Crusaders. Al-Afdal or rather Hassan sent his Numidian and Bedouin archers, followed shortly by mounted archers to harass the flanks of the Sicilian army hoping to provoke them into undisciplined charge. Yet despite all of the harassing by Hassan forces the Sicilians refused to attack, keeping their tight formation. Al-Afdal began to lose his patience, with each attempt to force the Sicilian to break ranks and fight Al-Afdal got more and more frustrated till the point were he ordered that the main part of his army charge the Crusaders. Hassan attempted to stop him, but was forced back after Al-Afdal threatened to have executed for treason and heresy. Hassan attempted to persuade him of the coming trap yet Afdal would have none of it scream at him “This is my battle! My victory! My Glory! I am Caliph! You a man lower than dirt dare to order me. Ha! None shall remember you, for I shall overshadow you in every regard!” Hassan grabbed his horse and accompanied by his loyal guard of elite troops that would become the first members of the Order he said this “Overshadow me you will, my dear Caliph. But for all of the wrong reasons.” With that Hassan i Sabbah left the battlefield, leaving the Caliph to survive on his own devices.

When the Muslims attacked the Sicilian army, the Sicilians refused to falter. Inspired by their Champions Robert Guiscard, King Roger I and Richard of Capua, and inspired by a massive ceremonial cross that overlooked the battlefield they fought it a fanatical fashion refusing to give up. Al-Afdal threw more and more troops at the Sicilians, hoping to break them. When all of the sudden the Crusader army previously hidden behind the hill attacked. Afdal struggled to present a stable line to hold back the Crusader force committing most of his reserves to fighting the Crusaders back. Yet the Sicilians were about to break, in desperate hope to get them rally Guiscard rode in front of his troops attempting to lead them to charge. It was then that an arrow pierced his neck, killing him in a instant, the Sicilians greatest champion was dead. The Sicilians began to panic and run. The something remarkable happened, Richard I of Capua a previously little known character, who was most well known for his bravery in battle, in the crusades stood next to the giant cross and gave a speech. Tancred of Naples recounts: “ Richard stood atop the platform of the cross and toke out his sword, and shouted. ‘Brave men of Sicily. Why do you run? Is it because your beloved Robert is dead? If so, do you even dare to believe this is how he would have wanted to be remembered. No! We are all men of god, each one of use have achieve victories that would make Caesar blush. Yet now you run because your beloved champion runs. Well I say today is the day of our greatest triumph! Many of you do not know who I am? For that I say I am a loyal Christian and even braver Sicilian. Now will you join me in this most glorious fight? Will you fight with me? Will you fight for Robert? Will you fight for God? Brave men of Sicily know that God has your backs and that only glory awaits you. For Sicily, For Robert, For God charge!” With that Speech Richard rallied the Sicilian army to charge the Saracen lines. It is said that Richard himself lead the charge with such fury and strength that he was ‘cutting down Saracens like, the reaper with his sickle.’ Al-Afdal in a desperate attempt to hold the lines leads his personal bodyguard to charge the Sicilians. The charge was a complete and utter failure as it was meet head on by Richard own force. It is said the Richard almost single handled overwhelmed the bodyguard and force Al-Afdal from his horse before his guard was able to force Richard back. Al-Afdal fled with his life. Seeing their Caliph flee the field of battle caused a massive route in the Egyptians lines that just couldn’t be stopped. Richard I and Radovan of Croatia lead the pursuit after them. But was forced to break off the chase as it was getting dark. The Crusaders had won the last great battle of the war but at a great cost. Among the dead was Robert Guiscard along with 7,000 knights reducing the Crusader army from 15 000 men to a measly 8,000 men, not nearly enough to follow up on their victory. The Saracens lost about 10,000 men, and the Caliph brother Nizar began to eye the throne. Roger I and many of the Sicilian knights were needed back home to quell revolt that made sprung up near Palermo so the Crusaders agreed to negotiate peace with Caliphate. Knowing of the impending civil war Stephen II, Lambert of Hungary, and Roger I of Sicily demanded that the Crusaders be given the right to rule over the cities of Jaffa, Acre, Tyre, and Tripoli. Desperate for a peace Al-Afdal or more likely his advisors agreed. Afterwards the Crusaders agreed to divide the land, among four of the most import crusading nobles. Radovan being the heir to the Kingdom of Croatia was disallowed, Roger I was removed from the list for the same reasons. Lambert was already named duke of Acre and because he was second brother of the current king Geza I and was unlikely to inherit the throne so he was allowed to keep his title of Duke of Acre, thus making him the most senior of all of the Christian lords in Levant. The Title of the Count of Tyre fell to Eustache of Boulogne. The title of Count of Tripoli was awarded to Stephen due to lose of Antioch. Finally Richard of Capua was a awarded the title of Lord of Jaffa, due to vital role in the victory at Jaffa. With the title decided the 1st crusade finally came to an end.

Any Comments, on the finally of the 1st Crusade? Now finally were are moving onto more greener pastures so to speak. Also time for Map, note there are some spoilers.

Ftqv2.jpg

Good update! It seems that the First Crusade was not as successful as IOTL. But why did the crusaders asked only for Jaffa, Tripoli and Acre? If the Caliph is that desperate, why not ask for Jerusalem too?

About the map, it is epic! :D I see that you have added Trebizond. I wonder what this means...

Good update! It seems that the First Crusade was not as successful as IOTL. But why did the crusaders asked only for Jaffa, Tripoli and Acre? If the Caliph is that desperate, why not ask for Jerusalem too?

About the map, it is epic! :D I see that you have added Trebizond. I wonder what this means...

They can't take Jerusalem cause their force is way to small. The Caliph can force the crusaders from their strongholds because of the civil strife. Both are too weak to make a move against the other. So essentially all the treaty is confirming is the current status quo. The Caliph only sees this a temporary peace till he can gather his forces and strike again late. While the Crusaders are just happy to make any sort gains after years of war. As for Trebizond and the state of the Byzantine empire, it my little secret. But to say things will get a little messy is an understatement.

TAs for Trebizond and the state of the Byzantine empire, it my little secret. But to say things will get a little messy is an understatement.
I hope they recover the Bryennios-Komnenid civil war. After all, who will protect the little crusader states from the evil Turks? Armenia? :p

Also, just a minor question. You've stated that Alexius I Komnenos' son will be called Isaac II and be OTL John. Will you have Manuel I Komnenos in it or will you let Alexius (John's firstborn) survive? After all, he died in Attalia and I'm sure the Byzantine reconquest of Asia Minor will be different, so this could be easily butterflied away. Also, I think he had two daughters with a Georgian princess. This means no Angelos take-over of the Empire and no 4th Crusade :D

I hope they recover the Bryennios-Komnenid civil war. After all, who will protect the little crusader states from the evil Turks? Armenia? :p

Also, just a minor question. You've stated that Alexius I Komnenos' son will be called Isaac II and be OTL John. Will you have Manuel I Komnenos in it or will you let Alexius (John's firstborn) survive? After all, he died in Attalia and I'm sure the Byzantine reconquest of Asia Minor will be different, so this could be easily butterflied away. Also, I think he had two daughters with a Georgian princess. This means no Angelos take-over of the Empire and no 4th Crusade :D

They will recover from the Civil War, But they will never be as strong as they were before the Civil War. They will of course be helped by the collapse of Seljuks and Danishmend Empire.

Aremnia as savior of the Crusaders. :p They will have to rely on European support for a while, which may be problem cause something big is going to happen in Europe in the near future.

As for the Komenids, they will be good for the Empire and help restore it to it's former glory. Alexius will become emperor after Isaac II not Manuel and the Angelos will only be a minor footnote in the history of the region. As for there being no 4th crusade is not true. The Crusaders and the Romans will fight they are bound to fight because the social and political tensions between the two, will it be a crusade no but war between the Crusaders and Greeks is definitely going to happen. The Greeks future is going to be a very interesting one to say the least.