Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Very interesting update - I wasn't expecting a new Kalmar Union, but I'll be curious to see how it changes European politics.

Hopefully the union of Denmark and Sweden will further put the ideas of filibustering Greenland and Iceland to bed once and for all...

Maybe throw in British Paupa new Guiena and make a Pacific Dominion. Then we got the French in the western part of Austrailia. A loose Dominion? self autonomus states in the dominion?

I completely forgot about French Western Australia. I clearly do need to re-read this thread from start to finish.

I always favoured keeping Australia and New Zealand apart, but that's the part of me that likes small(er), unique nations in contrast to large conglomerate multi-national states - hence my original Western Australia comment. Holy Roman Empire over Germany any day of the week ;)

Glen

FYI, there was a minor glitch in the post below. The father of Swedish Crown Prince Christian is Karl August the II, not the original Charles August. It has been corrected.

Schleswig-Holstein was a source of contention for many in the region. German nationalists wanted it for the new German state being forged in the fires of the Liberal War. Danish nationalists, while less concerned about Holstein, were adamant upon keeping Schleswig for Denmark, especially after losing Norway to Sweden's King Carl August after the Treaty of Kiel. The British and French were focused on the Great Powers of the East; Prussia, Russia, and Austria, and thus provided little support to the German irregulars operating in Schleswig-Holstein. The Danes were able to push out the Germans with little difficulty, but not before the Crown Prince of Denmark died in an attack while visiting the front. The grief-stricken King Christian VIII of Denmark pressed for recognition of a semi-Salic solution to the loss of his heir, by naming his eldest daughter's son by King Carl August II, Christian, Crown Prince of Sweden, his heir. However, this goal was complicated by two issues; the first being that Sweden had joined the West in fighting against Prussia and Russia, in hopes of regaining territories previously lost, and that the elder branch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg family argued that this semi-Salic solution negated any claim of Denmark to Schleswig-Holstein and that it would be solely under the Dukes of Austenborg (or Schleswig-Holstein as they would call themselves).

In the end, Christian of Sweden was named heir to both Sweden and Denmark in a deal brokered by the British (some said with a silent threat of unleashing the Royal Navy on the Danish Navy). Holstein would be allowed to enter the new Germany, but Schleswig would stay in Denmark. The Dukes of Austenborg would have duel standing in Denmark and Germany. The Danes would come over to the Liberals side in the Liberal War, putting further pressure on the Eastern Powers.

Dominion Idea 1

Dominion of the Cape

Capital:Cape Town

Languages: English, Dutch, Affrikans

Religion:protestant, Catholic Minority

DSAD1.png

Glen

Ferdinando_II_delle_Due_Sicilie.jpg

Ferdinand II​

The Napoleonic Wars had split the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies into the Kingdom of Naples and Kingdom of Sicily. Sicily's king at the start of the Liberal War, Ferdinand II, had shown progressive leanings as a younger man, but had grown more conservative and paranoid as time progressed. In 1850, revolution broke out in the island, and when he refused to accept a liberal constitution, Ferdinand II was forced to abdicate in favor of his son who became King Francis II of Sicily.

Glen

With the (albeit tense) resolution of the situation in Rome, the forces of Naples, the new Roman Republic, the Italian states of the North led by Piedmont-Sardinia and Tuscany, and the French could focus on the Austrians and Russians in Lombardy and Venice. The concentration of forces was too much even for a general as able as Radetzky, and the third time proved the charm for Charles Albert as Entente forces expelled the Easterners from Northern Italy.

A constitutional convention in Florence called for the creation of a new Kingdom of Italy, comprised of all the Italian states and liberated Austrian lands north of the Roman Republic (which declined to join, a decision supported by the Kingdom of Naples). An active debate ensued as to who would be named king, but by precedence the only real choice was Charles Albert of the House of Savoy.

Thus the map of the Italian Peninsula would be transformed, with a new Kingdom of Italy in the North, a Roman Republic in the center (the former Papal States), and the Kingdom of Naples and the Kingdom of Sicily remaining in the South.

Italian Peninsula.gif

Glen

With the (albeit tense) resolution of the situation in Rome, the forces of Naples, the new Roman Republic, the Italian states of the North led by Piedmont-Sardinia and Tuscany, and the French could focus on the Austrians and Russians in Lombardy and Venice. The concentration of forces was too much even for a general as able as Radetzky, and the third time proved the charm for Charles Albert as Entente forces expelled the Easterners from Northern Italy.

A constitutional convention in Florence called for the creation of a new Kingdom of Italy, comprised of all the Italian states and liberated Austrian lands north of the Roman Republic (which declined to join, a decision supported by the Kingdom of Naples). An active debate ensued as to who would be named king, but by precedence the only real choice was Charles Albert of the House of Savoy.

Thus the map of the Italian Peninsula would be transformed, with a new Kingdom of Italy in the North, a Roman Republic in the center (the former Papal States), and the Kingdom of Naples and the Kingdom of Sicily remaining in the South.
attachment.php

Double posting, Glen? Tut tut ;)

Also, yes! Finally a non-united Italy. My love of smaller countries is most pleased by this news!

Well, not as pleased as if the Kingdom of Italy had never come to be, but this is a start, and with nationalism floating around, is about as good as I could expect to get.

Last edited:
Dominon of Oceania

Capital:Sydney

Language:English, Aboriginal

Religions:protestant, Animist

The languages do not sit right - for one there are many distinct Aboriginal languages, for another, Maori is still widely spoken IOTL and is a unified language with only minor dialect differences. I would think it would still be spoken ITTL, unless there are big divergences

The languages do not sit right - for one there are many distinct Aboriginal languages, for another, Maori is still widely spoken IOTL and is a unified language with only minor dialect differences. I would think it would still be spoken ITTL, unless there are big divergences

I think Melbourne is the more likely capital in this era anyway. It's bigger, was taking over in terms of industry I believe, and there was genuine unrest in Sydney at the preception that Melbourne was becoming the "greater" city of the two.

Glen

Unless the country Units themselves are disbanded. (No being king of denmark, sweden and norway, Just scandanvia) this thing will fall apart in a few generations

That is certainly one possibility. If only there were some external threat to unite them...