Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

A liberal Germany with a Royal of British Blood and an aliance between Britain and France? Europe is shapping up just as well as the America's in to something alien and beautiful at the same time!

Glen

Well, Turtledove nominations are now closed, and the Dominion of Southern America was the only entrant for the New 18th Century Category. While I haven't made up the awards yet, I am proud to announce that this is now a Turtledove Award Winning thread! Thank you one and all who have supported this timeline, and especially the reader who nominated us in the first place (General_Finley, I believe).

Well, Turtledove nominations are now closed, and the Dominion of Southern America was the only entrant for the New 18th Century Category. While I haven't made up the awards yet, I am proud to announce that this is now a Turtledove Award Winning thread! Thank you one and all who have supported this timeline, and especially the reader who nominated us in the first place (General_Finley, I believe).

Congratulations. I would have nominated this, but for some reason I had thought it had won one the previous year

Glen

This is now the fifth largest timeline thread in Before 1900! Thank you for all your replies, dear reader.

Well done on the award, this is a really great TL. As for being the 5th largest thread, its not suprising, its really well written and a lot of people seem to be commenting. Its going to be interesting to see this war, to say the least. For France and Britain's sake lets hope the reactionary alliance doesnt last, it could be a monster when industrialisation really kicks in in Russia

Glen

The Flag of the Confederation of Southern America and the Turtledove Award - Coincidence?:rolleyes:
attachment.php

]
attachment.php

Congrats Glen! You certainly deserve it!

Glen

Thin_Red_Line.png

It was the entry of the British into the Liberal War that truly demonstrated the differences that technology were making in warfare. The British had learned numerous lessons from the Slaver Uprising in then British North America. One reform had been in officer training and promotion by merit rather than purchase. Another had been the adoption of breech loading rifles as the main armament of the infantry. The majority of British infantry entered the war with the Pattern 1847, but cavalry, reconnaisance, and raiders were equipped with the Thorpe Repeating Rifle utilizing a lever action. Not only had the British committed to breech loaders, but had gained the expertise in more unconventional tactics in the wilderness of North America to make them devastating against opponents who were slow to change their own tactics.

Nepalese_Snider.jpg

NavyHenry1860.jpg

Glen

Just caught up after ~3 weeks off and things coming to a hell of a head. Congratulations by the way for the Tuttledove.:)

I think you're latest post probably hints at the way ahead. With Britain, pretty much at the height of its industrial power and it's military updated as a result of the slaver war, France under a liberal monarchy and widespread support in Germany the western forces have huge advantages. Prussia will probably be a tough nut militarily but will have lost it's richest western lands and has been fighting a costly war for some time. Austria is likely to face serious problems in terms of organisation, equipment and continued internal unrest, inspired further by events in Germany. Russia may see new unrest in Poland and, presuming developments similar to OTL, is at a technological relative low point and will suffer serious problems projecting its' power westwards. Furthermore Britain and to a lesser degree France and Belgium have the industrial might that both enables advanced technological and massed production but also the funds to maintain large forces for an extended war. [This time around virtually all the financial power is on the same side].

We know Prussia and Austria are on the conservative side and Hanover supporting reform but what's going to be the views of the other monarchies, i.e. Bavaria, Baden, Brunswick, Saxony etc. Once they aren't cowered by Prussia and Austria posing a direct military threat you might see a few jumping clearly into the liberal camp. Saxony especially might fancy trying to regain it's losses after the final fall of Napoleon.

This could be important in the development of a new west German kingdom. It's political centre will be Hanover and economic one along the Rhine. However if the other kingdoms are tied to the conservative cause and fall with it then that might mean a fairly central and radical state. If several kingdoms/states manage to come out on the liberal side then you might see a more devolved state. Something like OTL post-1871 Germany but with the Hanoverian presence being less dominant and overwhelming than Prussia's in OTL.

Steve

Glen

Congratulations. I would have nominated this, but for some reason I had thought it had won one the previous year

Congrats Glen! You deserve it, this thread has been brilliant, and wonderfully conceived in every part.

Well done on the award, this is a really great TL. As for being the 5th largest thread, its not suprising, its really well written and a lot of people seem to be commenting.

Congrats Glen! You certainly deserve it!

Thank you one and all for your congratulations. And give yourselves a hearty here-here! Your patronage has helped make this timeline what it is.:cool:

Glen

Its going to be interesting to see this war, to say the least. For France and Britain's sake lets hope the reactionary alliance doesnt last, it could be a monster when industrialisation really kicks in in Russia

Well, the war is in fact on. I am not going to go into huge details of battles, as this is not the focus of this timeline - but there should be enough detail to give you an idea of the general thrust of the war and why it results the way it does.

It was the entry of the British into the Liberal War that truly demonstrated the differences that technology were making in warfare. The British had learned numerous lessons from the Slaver Uprising in then British North America. One reform had been in officer training and promotion by merit rather than purchase. Another had been the adoption of breech loading rifles as the main armament of the infantry. The majority of British infantry entered the war with the Pattern 1847, but cavalry, reconnaisance, and raiders were equipped with the Thorpe Repeating Rifle utilizing a lever action. Not only had the British committed to breech loaders, but had gained the expertise in more unconventional tactics in the wilderness of North America to make them devastating against opponents who were slow to change their own tactics.

By British do you include dominion? I want a DSA expeditionary force!

Anyway Great update

Also when can we see some new names from that one thread you posted?