Your Name in the Dominion of Southern America

Anyone else?

William Hauxwell, born March 16, 1824 in Danby, Yorkshire, England.

Georg Hahn, born December 26, 1823 in Alsfeld, Hesse-Darmstadt.

Okay, my last name, Hurst. Of course, this name and its home is very new to north America, 1958. However, the Hursts immigrated from either Scotland or England to New Zealand in the mid to late 19th century. If you care about New Zealand at all that is.

A childhood friend of mine was name Hurst.

jack o'sullivan my great great uncle (and im guessing Irish) went down with the titanic (well he was on it) with a lots of money (so the story goes anyway :D)

Last edited:
If you are looking for Hessian immigrants, how about my last name Nicolai. I have no idea from where we originally were, but the two generations before my fathers birth lived in Hesse. Maybe a former Hessian mercenary, who ITL fought for the British, settled in the DSA or inspired friends of his to move there.

On my dad's side, (Which is more or less Anglo-Welsh) all males have been named John Bryan for as long as we can remember. On my mom's side I've an ancestor named Robert "No Nosed Bob" Daley, if you're looking for a more Scotch-Irish sort of name. (For the record, his nose got bitten off by a horse). My great uncle, who was born in Slovenia bore the moniker Albin Ronshak, anglicized from Romčak.

George Turner

My GG Grandfather [1850's] George Turner [Scot-Irish] set up one of the first Town Water Systems in Western NCarolina. The Pipe started in a Lake, flowed over several Hills and ended in the Town.
Most of the Towns People laughed at Him. Everyone knew that water can't flow up Hill. Except the town as 500 feet lower than the Lake, and the Water siphoned just fine.

In the 19 oughts My Grandfather George Turner Bought a couple Swampy Blocks at the edge of St Petersburg, and planted a Garden.
The garden grew with Exotic plants, Neighbors started coming to look & asking for Garden Help, eventually He started Charging, then put up a fence.
By the 1960's [pre Bush Gardens] The Sunken Gardens was the 2nd Biggest Tourist attraction in Florida.

I'm related to the Pinckney's. Early American Politicians. One of them ran for Vice-President with John Adams but lost. (But by the 1850's the Federalist Party, the only that they belonged to, was long dead)

Glen

I'm related to the Pinckney's. Early American Politicians. One of them ran for Vice-President with John Adams but lost. (But by the 1850's the Federalist Party, the only that they belonged to, was long dead)

Already did Pinckneys in the timeline, did you see it?

One ancestor of mine, whose surname was Bertossi, came to Chile from Italy in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He and his siblings became orphans in the old country and were brought to South America by a Catholic priest, who kind of distributed the kids around the continent: Chile, Argentina, Brazil.

When the kid grew up, he owned a little vineyard and sold it to another Italian named Traverso. Now Traverso is the biggest vinegar producer in Chile, and my ancestor -and his descendants, of course- saw nothing of that new money.

Don't know how can this be useful to you, though, but I wanted to share the story :)

Well, my full name if you must know, comes from a variety of sources.
Evan, well, Welsh for John. David, for a friend of the family. George, for my fathers father. Park, for my mothers last name. Thomas, for my fathers last name.
So, in the end, Evan David George Park-Thomas, is my name.
Not sure if it helps, but, well, there you go.

my name is Robert Scott Cole Appleton my dads side were farmers from Northumbria Scottish border my mothers were intermarried and decently noble by blood and marriage they were the Coles and fallers who were decedents of the wealthy Irish and princes of wales, blood to john white Ivans of Russia and french Huguenots 90%of my family were here by 1750 and were fighting on both sides of the acw. we were spread across they us my mom and dad met via the military so i myself very unlikely not helped by two middle names and a rare last name but i could see a Robert Scott Cole maybe dean of history at trinity college?:Dor a general in ether army?;)

a few for you:
Thorpe- Yorkshire millworkers. Hard grafters, keen sportsmen, though unfortunately short lived.
Teale- Yorkshire merchants, one of whom won the DSO at Gallipolli, another married a Catholic girl and was ostrascised from the family. One of the resulting sons ended up in Canada.
Sutcliffe- Yorkshire family, shopkeepers and millworkers.
Barnes (pre adoptive name). Undertakers, merchants, etc. North Yorks.

You could try Louis von Mackensen, August von Mackensen's father. Yeah, that August von Mackensen, who was one of Germany's best commanders during WWI. He's my great-great-grandfather.

Stanley Black (my great-grandfather). Black is a Scottish name, Stanley indicates a somewhat lower class status held by someone whose ancestors moved to England. A possible name for an eyewitness account of a passage across the Atlantic, perhaps?

Parrish:

The Parrish clan came to South Carolina from Ireland on "The America" during the early potato famine/Irish civil war period. Eventually settled in Illinois and contributed to the railroads. Apparently, someone married a Davis and a great great aunt once referred to an "Uncle Jeff" who got in a great deal of trouble and left the country.

A good family story is John Delmus Parrish taking in a black man on the run from a lynch mob. John scared off the mob with his shotgun and awoke later to find his two young boys roasting hotdogs on the burning cross left in his front yard. Classic.

We're traditionally a very Irish family of by all accounts notoriously bad people. Gambling, thieving, skirt chasing, violent, alcoholic, mentally unstable revolutionaries who by all accounts were all also very kind, intelligent, religious, and political.

Please use a good Parrish in politics if you could.

Great TL by the way!

My surname is a common Polish one, it would be spelled in original Polish as Januszewicz (AFAIK). I don't know any male-line relatives of mine with a plausible Polish-looking name, though - the names are all Russian after 1939 and Jewish before.
As for my ancestors (and relatives) in general, Samuel Strupinsky, my great-great-great-uncle, graduated from the Sorbonna in the 1900s (I think) and IIRC wrote some scientific articles in mathematics later on. (So did his brother (my great-great-grandfather), who graduated from Liege around the same time, but I don't remember his name, unfortunately.) You can use him in your timeline if you find a place in it for a Polish mathematician ;)

scholar

Banned
Dennis Michael Murphy II, born from the descendants of Irish and Italian immigrants. Notable names inside my family tree are D'Amico (Mother), Iannuzzi (Grandmother), Nardizzi, Murphy (Father) O'Brien (Grandmother). Interesting fun facts, my Italian side had a history with the Mafia, while my Irish side has served in the military in every generation. WW2, WW1, and Vietnam. I'm named after not a father or grandfather, but after an uncle. Dennis Michael Murphy, who was a Vietnam veteran who died.

Feel free to use whatever you want.