Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Ahh the British and thier tea :rolleyes:
I assume Great Britian will become the main importer,
Also how does this affect tea plantations elsewhere?

A lot of it will go to local consumption, but then the UK, yes. And it will evolve over the decades...

Not much at first, in terms of other tea plantations outside of the DSA. However, it may have some impact on tea production in the USA!

Glen

The Rhineland Uprising touched off a hundred conflagrations throughout the Germanies. The liberal aspirations of a generation of Germanic peoples had been crushed underfoot for too long, and thus did the twin flames of liberation and nationalism light the German night.

The Prussian and Austrian Crowns were appalled by this turn of events, and the Austrians would soon find their other subject nationalities catching the fever for freedom, compounding their consternation. While the Austrians tried to deal with their possibly fracturing empire, the Prussians were left to deal with their own breakaway territories in the west, as well as what they saw as their God-given responsibility to crush the radical elements in the Germanies. But first and foremost, to hold on to what the Hohenzollerns considered their own.

Barricades_-_1848_Germany.jpg

The fighting in the streets was surpisingly less one sided than might first be thought of with street tyros against trained troops. But Prussia had not fought a war since Napoleon, and not a war like this. The partisans of the Rhineland used the new rifles in ways that the regular troops, and perhaps more to the point, their commanders, had yet to imagine; firing from cover, in prone position. And of course, they enjoyed the benefit of being able to melt into the populace who succored and supported them. Alas, by 1850, the Rhinelanders and many other revolutionaries had been pressed to the borders, and sometimes over it.

But in 1850, the Prussian Army made a miscalculation in pressing too far in pursuit of rebels, inciting the wrath of their covert benefactors, the French.

Nappy dont count hes a Corsican! ;) or are you refering to his nephew?

Also I may just have forgot this but, what exactly is the government of the DSA?

this is the first thread i have subscribed to:D. my home state is north Carolina and there was a lot animosity between west and eastern parts of the state. much of this stated from before the pov that's why the capitol is in the center (Raleigh) possible alternates can be Hillsborough or Raleigh or the insignificant at the time Durham compromise maybe? Siler city though might be more centered with the states new shape. but it was a big problem with the wealthy on the cost and the majority in the center there was a quasi war into the early 1820's causing most of the counties we currently have for better representation but then again the capitol was the city the Governor was in usually New Bern or Hillsborough.
Also my high school was Durham School of the Arts (DSA):p
on a sad note cowboy can't exists with out the hostile Indians in otl OK.:( but we still can have the boon like and outlaws and wild Indians but less influences of the cattle :).
with a smaller Spanish influences in the us i wanted to know what we called tornadoes, lassos, chill, tomatoes,and the such? the maps shows the us having internal Alaska if this is so what about a Louisiana purchase happening with us wanting a coastal access point and receiving an offer too good to resist?:rolleyes:
also in otl the south's "good land"was mostly taken. hence the push to spread slavery i am unsure about how much land is left but the region will not like too much the idea of new comers for land but might be more will for laborers maybe leaing to the dynamic of Atlanta Georgia or little rock Arkansas.
sorry if its long but i read this in about a week so it is hard to till what is dead.:eek: also sorry for the spelling that's a never ending battle
last minute idea if the us felt threatened it just might build rrs to help with logistics but that might be getting ahead of my self.

Glen

Nappy dont count hes a Corsican! ;) or are you refering to his nephew?

I was referring to the Corsican - that's a fair point, but he led a French army (more or less).

Also I may just have forgot this but, what exactly is the government of the DSA?

A federated dominion under the British Crown. What specific details are you looking for?

Glen

this is the first thread i have subscribed to:D.

Thank you for your patronage!

my home state is north Carolina and there was a lot animosity between west and eastern parts of the state. much of this stated from before the pov

And indeed, we see some of that in the Southern Civil War. The Coast favored the slavers but the west favored the crown.

that's why the capitol is in the center (Raleigh) possible alternates can be Hillsborough or Raleigh or the insignificant at the time Durham compromise maybe? Siler city though might be more centered with the states new shape.

The British prefer to keep the Provincial Capitols, where possible, accessible by sea. They're also a bit traditional, so they have kept the old seaport capitals.

but it was a big problem with the wealthy on the cost and the majority in the center there was a quasi war into the early 1820's ca using most of the counties we currently have for better representation but then again the capitol was the city the Governor was in usually New Bern or Hillsborough.

Overall same issues apply, and in fact were issues in the Southern Civil War.

Also my high school was Durham School of the Arts (DSA):p

How delightful!

on a sad note cowboy can't exists with out the hostile Indians in otl OK.:(

Oh, there are still plenty of hostile Indians out there!

arbut we still can have the boon like and outlaws and wild Indians but less influences of the cattle :).

Somewhat, but not as much as you think!

with a smaller Spanish influences in the us i wanted to know what we called tornadoes, lassos, chill, tomatoes,and the such?

DSA - USA
tornado = twister
lasso = loop or loose (contraction of long noose)
chili? = chili (comes up from Mexico)
tomato = tomato (comes up from Mexico)

So some words, especially for clear imports, still make their way to US English. Others manage to stay more English based.

the maps shows the us having internal Alaska

Not certain what you mean by internal Alaska. We have coastal Alaska south of the 60th parallel.

if this is so what about a Louisiana purchase happening with us wanting a coastal access point and receiving an offer too good to resist?:rolleyes:

Time will tell.

also in otl the south's "good land"was mostly taken. hence the push to spread slavery i am unsure about how much land is left but the region will not like too much the idea of new comers for land

Some land was freed up after the Slaver Uprising, and some by the opening up of west Arkansas, Texas, and British California (also Cuba a bit).

but might be more will for laborers maybe leaing to the dynamic of Atlanta Georgia or little rock Arkansas.

Interesting thought - what did you have in mind?

sorry if its long but i read this in about a week so it is hard to till what is dead.:eek:

That's some reading!

also sorry for the spelling that's a never ending battle

Use the spellcheck, Luke. Use the spellcheck!

last minute idea if the us felt threatened it just might build rrs to help with logistics but that might be getting ahead of my self.

Not really.:)

Glen

500px-Flag_of_Hanover_1837-1866.svg.png
The Kingdom of Hanover, in personal union with the United Kingdom under King George V, shared a strategic border with the Rhineland, and many of the populace were sympathetic to the cause of liberty spreading throughout the Germanies. While many of the Catholic revolutionaries looked to France as a patron, the Protestants of the Germanies looked to Hanover and England. While the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland sought to remain neutral as war broke out between Prussia and France, Hanover sought to give succor to the revolutionaries, under its liberal viceroy, George, Duke of Clarence. George had essentially inherited the role of Viceroy in Hanover from his father, William, Duke of Clarence.
William_IV_of_the_United_Kingdom.jpg
William was the third son of King George III. He had previously lived for many years with a mistress by which he had many illegitimate children, something he thought little of so far from the line of succession. However, he eventually found himself third in line for the throne after his nephew, who it appeared would be an only child. When his long-time mistress left him, he saw the opportunity to improve his fortunes by a fortuitous marriage.
Mw18026.jpg
He was unsuccessful at first until he made the acquaintance of a daughter of Duke George of Saxe-Meiningen, whose small dukedom was the most liberal state in the Germanies at the time. Despite having fathered many illegitimate children, his marriage was less fruitful, with only their first child, George, named after both his grandfathers and born in Hanover, surviving to adulthood.
Georgv.jpg
By 1850, Duke George was seen as a popular and enlightened leader in Hanover, and with King George V so far only having produced daughters, some thought he might be the next King of Hanover. While Britannia tried to avoid yet another war, the viceroy entreatied his uncle to give greater support to the cause of German freedom.

Would we see the DSA develop it's own hybrid English laced with Spanish, Gullah, and Cajin?

<gasp>

The USA may speak better English than the British colony!

On a side note, I can't wait to watch the German powderkeg explode <munches on popcorn>.

Glen

Would we see the DSA develop it's own hybrid English laced with Spanish, Gullah, and Cajin?

More like the DSA will have a number of different accents and even creoles. An analogue of OTL 'upper class' Southern accent will be the DSA's dominant accent/dialect, however.

<gasp>

The USA may speak better English than the British colony!

Do you really want me to comment on that one?:p

On a side note, I can't wait to watch the German powderkeg explode <munches on popcorn>.

I am gratified you are entertained. I will give you all one spoiler:

It will not stay confined to the German powderkeg...

Austria-Hungary or Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, also known as the Dual Monarchy or the k.u.k. Monarchy, was a monarchic union between the crowns of the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary in Central Europe. The union was a result of the Ausgleich or Compromise of 1867
?Wondering if this powder-keg may lead to a Independent Hungary??