Superpower Australia- stronger Australian Military

abc123

Banned
So, let's discuss about stronger military of Commonwealth of Australia. Maybe a good POD could be a Australian involment in 1963. Indonesian attempt to annex West Papua?
Also, same with East Timor in 1975.
:confused:

This means Aussie Tomcats! (Such as the one attached to this post...)

F-14_22.jpg

Riain

Banned
That's what happened IOTL, its why we bought the DDGs, F111, bloodhound SAM, M113 APC, reversed the decision to make Melbourne a helo carrier among other things.

I'd have the PoD being the way we got jerked around in WW2, and the means to the end being the joint project with Britain. I put this idea out there every now and then, I looked back and it's like a nervous tick with me.

abc123

Banned
That's what happened IOTL, its why we bought the DDGs, F111, bloodhound SAM, M113 APC, reversed the decision to make Melbourne a helo carrier among other things.

I'd have the PoD being the way we got jerked around in WW2, and the means to the end being the joint project with Britain. I put this idea out there every now and then, I looked back and it's like a nervous tick with me.

Well, joint project with Britain IS the reason that I have open this thread. IMO we reached consensus about UK Armed forces. OK, smo minor differences still exist, but nothing too important.
;)

abc123

Banned
Here is my proposal of Royal Australian Air Force today:

120 F-16/Hawker 1121-like light fighters
36 Vickers 589
33 Transall C-160
15 Shorts Belfast
9 Airbus A.134 MRTT
8 Airbus A.134 AEWAC
21 Bristol Argus MPA
2 Airbus A.134 VIP

This is a TL where Australia has not naval aviation or aircraft carriers.
Not even something like OTL Canberra class.
;)
But she has 6 LPD like Rotterdam/Galicia class. And a Marine Corps. :D

I'm confused about the topic here.

Making a stronger Australian military is certainly plausible and seems to be what this thread is about.

Make Australia a 'Superpower' - well, that strikes me as ASB (barring an all-out US-USSR nuclear exchange that wipes out the northern hemisphere) as Australia has a very low population.

Hmmm. Maybe a climate change event that brings more rain to the Outback, allowing for a (much) greater population? I think that to be a 'superpower' in the era of 1945 - 1991 would require a minimum population of 100m. 150m is more like it...more rain ain't gonna do that alone...

Mike Turcotte

Look, Tomcats are fine airplanes, but really no need for them, and they can be pretty good replaced with F-15 C.
Something like this isn't good enough for Australia?
800px-F-15%2C_71st_Fighter_Squadron%2C_in_flight.JPG
For the Air Force? That's true enough... and I have just the image you're looking for!

F-1501.jpg

Riain

Banned
Just to put things into perspective, IOTL Australia has the worlds 12-14th (depending on who's measuring) largest economy, the closest countries with larger economies are India and China. Australia has the worlds 12-14th (depending on who's measuring) largest defence budget, again you have to look at India and China to find a bigger spender.

Making Australia more powerful isn't too difficult and making it a military giant in South East Asia is also easy since we're pretty much there anyway.

archaeogeek

Banned
Just to put things into perspective, IOTL Australia has the worlds 12-14th (depending on who's measuring) largest economy, the closest countries with larger economies are India and China. Australia has the worlds 12-14th (depending on who's measuring) largest defence budget, again you have to look at India and China to find a bigger spender.

Making Australia more powerful isn't too difficult and making it a military giant in South East Asia is also easy since we're pretty much there anyway.

You need the people to serve though, which Australia doesn't have and the country would have trouble handling a much higher population.