Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Touche then about those cities, and I'll concede you it - and you could be right about the LeFleur Bluff, it's just my personal opinion is that it's not so easy on the tongue. Just personal preference though.

As for attaboy, I did actually know what the word meant; I put the question mark there as a kind of "you're looking for a comment, and you told me to just say "attaboy" to everything...can I just say "attaboy" now?" Meant entirely in jest, but it seems to have backfired :(

This is a really great timeline, I'm really enjoying reading it. I think maybe a few updates focusing on culture and ties between the US and the DSA would great- it would be interesting to see how day to day things like business transactions and cross-border relations between normal people etc would be affected by this division of the US-I imagine Britain, the DSA and the US would probably be the biggest investors in each other, so anything about companies etc that span across all 3 would be very interesting.

Last edited:

Glen

Touche then about those cities, and I'll concede you it - and you could be right about the LeFleur Bluff, it's just my personal opinion is that it's not so easy on the tongue. Just personal preference though.

As for attaboy, I did actually know what the word meant; I put the question mark there as a kind of "you're looking for a comment, and you told me to just say "attaboy" to everything...can I just say "attaboy" now?" Meant entirely in jest, but it seems to have backfired :(

That's all fine. And the attaboy, with and without levity, is much appreciated!:D

Eurofed

Banned
This is a really great timeline, I'm really enjoying reading it. I think maybe a few updates focusing on culture and ties between the US and the DSA would great- it would be interesting to see how day to day things like business transactions and cross-border relations between normal people etc would be affected by this division of the US-I imagine Britain, the DSA and the US would probably be the biggest investors in each other, so anything about companies etc that span across all 3 would be very interesting.

I concur. This is would be very interesting. You could wrap this up with the coverage of the US and DSA party system, to make a summary of North American political, social, economic, and cultural state of the continent after the formation of the DSA.

Glen

They're good, I'll update the map on sunday. I agree on the possible overuse of "New" - towns in OTL canada and Australia had no qualms on copying the names outright.

I look forward to the map. I'll tell you what, I will also write an update about the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race that will help with the mapmaking as well.:D

Glen

This is a really great timeline, I'm really enjoying reading it.

That is great to hear! Thank you for your support and patronage!

I think maybe a few updates focusing on culture and ties between the US and the DSA would great- it would be interesting to see how day to day things like business transactions and cross-border relations between normal people etc would be affected by this division of the US-I imagine Britain, the DSA and the US would probably be the biggest investors in each other, so anything about companies etc that span across all 3 would be very interesting.

Yes, that is quite a good idea. I certainly plan such items in general, though I didn't have them on the immediate list, but I can try and move those up a bit more.

Eurofed

Banned
I look forward to the map. I'll tell you what, I will also write an update about the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race that will help with the mapmaking as well.:D

Well, the the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race certainly looks like quite interesting to read about, too.

I expect the USA shall follow the OTL "central" route, although sooner rather than later they shall also have to build TTL equivalent of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The DSA is going to follow the "southern" route, across Texas, New Mexico, across the Sonora desert and to Los Angeles.

That is great to hear! Thank you for your support and patronage!

Yes, that is quite a good idea. I certainly plan such items in general, though I didn't have them on the immediate list, but I can try and move those up a bit more.

Well, its your TL, do them in whatever order, but I enjoy TLs that are more than just "and then this country fought that country and this guy was elected and then they made a new kind of weapon", so this ones a real treat

Glen

Well, the the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race certainly looks like quite interesting to read about, too.

Good!

I expect the USA shall follow the OTL "central" route, although sooner rather than later they shall also have to build TTL equivalent of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Quite possibly - time will tell....

The DSA is going to follow the "southern" route, across Texas, New Mexico, across the Sonora desert and to Los Angeles.

So I've heard....

Glen

This is an OTL pic - I'm just putting it here for a reference. Note that the DSA timeline is about a decade ahead of OTL on transportation infrastructure.
railnet1850.gif

Glen

This is an OTL pic - I'm just putting it here for a reference. Note that the DSA timeline is about a decade ahead of OTL on transportation infrastructure.
railnet1850.gif

Glen

The foundation of the Dominion was the trigger for the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race.

As part of the compromises that led to the formation of the Dominion, British support for a railroad from Texas to the Pacific was promised. The final agreed to route was as much if not more due to political compromise as to the geography of the continent.

It was planned that the terminus of the route would be San Diego, but a direct route there was not possible due to concerns about the disposition of the British end of the Central Valley of the Californias. It was felt by British and Southerner alike that if a guaranteed route for settlement into the valley was not established, the region would become American by default from immigration from the North, and thus the rail route was planned to head north along the coast to have a spur going into the valley. The route then planned to follow the already established Texan Road to Texas. However, there was also the problem of what route the railroad would take from Texas to the 'Old South' of the Dominion. The obvious route would be one that connected with the already established transportation routes and population centers that hugged the coast. However, these had also been heavily involved in the Slaver Uprising, whereas the highest concentrations of Loyalists were to be found among the border provinces. In the end, a compromise was struck here - the development of a northern route starting in North Carolina, crossing the Appalachian Mountains into Tennessee, then jumping the Mississippi to Arkansas. In addition, improvements and additions would be made to existing railroads from Georgia along the Gulf Provinces to cross the Mississippi in Louisiana. After entering Texas, the two routes would begin to converge towards the crossing of the Trinity River at a site surveyors would name New Dover inspired by the nearby white chalk cliffs of the area. From there the route would be one, converging with the Texas Road, though a spur would be constructed from the Southern route to the Texas coast.

However, the official government route would not be the only proposed transcontinental railroad either on the continent or in the DSA.

9elms1b.jpg

Glen

Well, its your TL, do them in whatever order, but I enjoy TLs that are more than just "and then this country fought that country and this guy was elected and then they made a new kind of weapon", so this ones a real treat

Glad you appreciate our cultural interludes...

Glen

United_States_Fall_Line.jpg

A fall line is the site between an upland region of continental bedrock and an alluvial coastal plain. A fall line is particularly important where a river crosses it, as this is often the point where a river can't be navigated due to the presence of rapids or falls. In the early industrial age, this point on a river was also important as it often provided the ideal location for water-wheel driven mills and factories. The two factors combined made for the almost guaranteed growth of towns and even cities where rivers crossed a fall line along the east coast of North America.

Cities and Towns along the Piedmont – Coastal Plain fall line in the United States of America and British Southern America include, from north to south:

United States of America:
British Southern America:

Thought I'd bump this other list of cities in the USA/BSA for our map makers.

Glen

The foundation of the Dominion was the trigger for the Great North American Transcontinental Railroad Race.

As part of the compromises that led to the formation of the Dominion, British support for a railroad from Texas to the Pacific was promised. The final agreed to route was as much if not more due to political compromise as to the geography of the continent.

It was planned that the terminus of the route would be San Diego, but a direct route there was not possible due to concerns about the disposition of the British end of the Central Valley of the Californias. It was felt by British and Southerner alike that if a guaranteed route for settlement into the valley was not established, the region would become American by default from immigration from the North, and thus the rail route was planned to head north along the coast to have a spur going into the valley. The route then planned to follow the already established Texan Road to Texas. However, there was also the problem of what route the railroad would take from Texas to the 'Old South' of the Dominion. The obvious route would be one that connected with the already established transportation routes and population centers that hugged the coast. However, these had also been heavily involved in the Slaver Uprising, whereas the highest concentrations of Loyalists were to be found among the border provinces. In the end, a compromise was struck here - the development of a northern route starting in North Carolina, crossing the Appalachian Mountains into Tennessee, then jumping the Mississippi to Arkansas. In addition, improvements and additions would be made to existing railroads from Georgia along the Gulf Provinces to cross the Mississippi in Louisiana. After entering Texas, the two routes would begin to converge towards the crossing of the Trinity River at a site surveyors would name New Dover inspired by the nearby white chalk cliffs of the area. From there the route would be one, converging with the Texas Road, though a spur would be constructed from the Southern route to the Texas coast.

However, the official government route would not be the only proposed transcontinental railroad either on the continent or in the DSA.

9elms1b.jpg

Hmmm, no comments on part 1 of the Great Race? All my readers must work for a living or something....;)

I dunno if the British or DSA would be concerned enough about the top of the San Joaquin valley to mandate an expensive railroad extension - here its a semidesert that will require extensive irrigation.

It took the Gold Rush in the OTL to make it an viable option, and would be barely inhabitated at this point. Is there history of American immigrants causing trouble, or the American government making such a fuss over a small region which has had its ownership decisively settled. The Americans which went onto the Canadian plains became Canadian, why wouldn't they become Dominionites here?

I think it should go to San Diego [Administration Centre] With a separate railroad heading north to link with the US RR headed south from San Francisco.

I still like my Chicago- Portland route for the US TCRR. this US is more Northern oriented, with more development around the GLakes, and Chicago -Portland is a straight shot coast to coast.
ITTL St Louis will not be as developed due to the DBA controlling the southern Mississippi.