Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

While many loyalist families rose up against the Confederation supporting slavers, one family in particular distinguished themselves leading the Loyalist militias in British Southern America. The Randolph and Grymes families were allied Loyalist Viriginian families who moved to the British South after being expelled from Viriginia during the American Revolutionary War. Horatio Grymes and James Randolph were the main loyalist militia leaders and would rise to the rank of General before war's end.

alamo19.jpg

Glen

The Slaver Uprising had many theaters, and each had a rather distinct character.

In the Caribbean, Cuba was the center for the fight for separation. The Confederationists were led by Joseph Saco, who interestingly enough, while in favor of eventual abolition, placed his desire for independence from the British Crown first. While the rebels had been able to take most of the forts guarding the Cuban ports, they eventually fell to the superiority of the Royal Navy. However, strong rebel bases in the rugged hills and mountains of the southeast.

Cuba_satellite.PNG

The Bahamas were even easier for the British to control in terms of major ports, but rebel smuggling operations through the myriad islands of the Bahamas remained prevalent throughout the war. The slavers of the Bahamas had never really thought they could hold the islands, but rather pinned their hopes on a continental victory leading to their liberation from the British.

Glen

Early in the Slaver Uprising, the British were stunned by the ease with which the rebels overtook the garrisons in continental British Southern America. Many British regulars had to evacuate by sea or retreat into the hinterland where they joined Loyalist and Indian forces.

This combined with the election of a Federalist (and thus perceived pro-British) president in the United States led the British to adopt a blockade strategy to cripple the British provinces in Southern America (referred to as the Anaconda Blockade, first coined by the British Governor of Guyana after a native constrictor snake).

However, the plan was quickly shown to have several flaws, the most serious being American unwillingness to close trade at their long border with British Southern America. Parliament considered an embargo against America if the border remained open to trade, but fears that this would push the neutral USA into siding outright with the Confederationists defeated the measure. The America textile industry benefited from the disruption in cotton export to Britain, and in fact the British textile industry was forced in many cases to buy Southern Cotton at inflated prices from New England merchants. The French textile industry also had some difficulty, but continued on with a combination of blockade runner and American merchant supplied cotton. By 1837, a new strategy would be needed.

12065732161650417049johnny_automatic_steamboat_loaded_with_cotton.svg.hi.png

Glen

A map of the world in 1836, including the territorial claims by the Confederation of Southern America (in Gray).

DSA 1836.PNG

A map of the world in 1836, including the territorial claims by the Confederation of Southern America (in Gray).

Interesting. I thought the rebels would claim more tbh, even though of course Haiti would be a nightmare for them to conquer. Also, it's interesting how you've marked California. Not so long ago when Texas was first introduced to us, you mentioned that the area claimed outside of the natural confines of Texas was partially controlled but really was substantially enough Mexican that for Texas to exert control, the Mexicans would get dragged in for the sake of honour if nothing else. Now, you've got all the way to Baja California marked Texan and only a bit south of the border shaded as claimed, yet no mention of annexations or the Mexicans moving. Is California still touch-and-go or has Mexico simply rolled over and accepted it without a whimper?

Edit: For that matter, thinking of Haiti: surely given their past they will be seething at the rebellion. Any chance we will see some kind of Haitian mob-militia swarming into Cuba and perhaps further to fight for the British for the freedom of their Creole brethren?

Interesting. I thought the rebels would claim more tbh, even though of course Haiti would be a nightmare for them to conquer. Also, it's interesting how you've marked California. Not so long ago when Texas was first introduced to us, you mentioned that the area claimed outside of the natural confines of Texas was partially controlled but really was substantially enough Mexican that for Texas to exert control, the Mexicans would get dragged in for the sake of honour if nothing else. Now, you've got all the way to Baja California marked Texan and only a bit south of the border shaded as claimed, yet no mention of annexations or the Mexicans moving. Is California still touch-and-go or has Mexico simply rolled over and accepted it without a whimper?

Good point. Could see Mexico seeking to at least get Texas to renounce its claims in the west, if not put actually pressure on it. Especially since the leader of Texas has taken a sizeable chunk of its forces to invade British territory.

Edit: For that matter, thinking of Haiti: surely given their past they will be seething at the rebellion. Any chance we will see some kind of Haitian mob-militia swarming into Cuba and perhaps further to fight for the British for the freedom of their Creole brethren?

Given history and the current political situation I could easily see Britain at least making news about raising more black units to help suppress the rebellion. That could persuade a few to back down, or if they don't they will face serious social changes.

Steve

Glen

Interesting. I thought the rebels would claim more tbh, even though of course Haiti would be a nightmare for them to conquer.

Quite frankly, what they're claiming now is already a stretch, and they'll probably have to win at the bargaining table rather than the battlefield.

Also, it's interesting how you've marked California. Not so long ago when Texas was first introduced to us, you mentioned that the area claimed outside of the natural confines of Texas was partially controlled but really was substantially enough Mexican that for Texas to exert control, the Mexicans would get dragged in for the sake of honour if nothing else. Now, you've got all the way to Baja California marked Texan and only a bit south of the border shaded as claimed, yet no mention of annexations or the Mexicans moving. Is California still touch-and-go or has Mexico simply rolled over and accepted it without a whimper?

Actually, it's more that the areas claimed by Texas solidly are so empty it's easy to claim, and the more southerly part is what is claimed but not really controlled (didn't come out so well on the map). Remember that the Texans are further west than OTL, and have taken Santa Barbara in a rather bold move, though if anything have less control southward than OTL. The Mexicans are in the final throes of the Mexican Civil War and thus a bit distracted....we will get back to them.

Ah, did you miss the post about the Sable Legion?

Ah, did you miss the post about the Sable Legion?

Ermm...yes :( Or more accurately, I misread it. Though I know what Hispaniola was I seem to recall switching my brain off and glazing over that update. I had it in my mind that you were referring to Cuba (stupidly) and that consequently figured the Sable Legion was just a handful of freed Hispano-Creoles who were going round mainly to avenge themselves on their former Spanish masters, with scant regard for the actual parties in the war. As I say, I just switched off for no apparent reason :\

I now stand corrected.

Glen

Good point. Could see Mexico seeking to at least get Texas to renounce its claims in the west, if not put actually pressure on it. Especially since the leader of Texas has taken a sizeable chunk of its forces to invade British territory.

Indeed true, but which Mexico?:rolleyes:

Given history and the current political situation I could easily see Britain at least making news about raising more black units to help suppress the rebellion. That could persuade a few to back down, or if they don't they will face serious social changes.

Steve

Yes, that is all quite true. The British can and are raising black units, some may back down for fear of it, but more will take up arms for that self-same fear.

The Sakhalin Island was claimed by both China and Japan at roughly that time,the Russians did not really take hold of it until 1858..
Glen had a post where the Russian that OTL did most to advance Russian Alaska, and the Fur trade, ITTL Went with the Sakhalin Fur Trade instead, so that Russia Claimed Sakhalin in the 18oughts.
[OTL the Sakhalin Fur trade is what Japan and Russia sniped each other over in the early 1800's]

OTL Japanese expansion in the - late 1700's/early 1800's - lead to Japan annexing Sakhalin in 1820.
I wondering if earlier Russian Control of Sakhalin to the North, may lead to Japan looking south, and a re-interest in Japans old historic claims to Formosa.

Glen

I wonder if the USA will take the chance to invade the contested territory and block and whoever wins the war from getting a Pacific Coast port.

That's an interesting question. I think that might require a degree of realpolitik that is not in vogue ITTL's 1830s USA. Then again, they did enter into a shady land deal....

Glen

Ermm...yes :( Or more accurately, I misread it. Though I know what Hispaniola was I seem to recall switching my brain off and glazing over that update. I had it in my mind that you were referring to Cuba (stupidly) and that consequently figured the Sable Legion was just a handful of freed Hispano-Creoles who were going round mainly to avenge themselves on their former Spanish masters, with scant regard for the actual parties in the war. As I say, I just switched off for no apparent reason :\

I now stand corrected.

Wow, that's an interesting interpretation of that post! I really need to get around someday soon to creating a DSA glossary of DSA timeline terms like that!

Wow, that's an interesting interpretation of that post! I really need to get around someday soon to creating a DSA glossary of DSA timeline terms like that!

I really do know what Hispaniola is :\ I just had a blonde moment.

Another thought has crossed my mind. After the ARW many of the loyalists took up the offer to add the postnomial 'UE' (United Empire) to their name as a permanent show of their loyalty - what's more, this postnomial was transferral to future generations. I gather that a small few still claim the title today but by and large the use of the term died out after two generations. With such a war occurring again here, not between former rebels and loyalists but setting loyalist against loyalist, is there a chance that the term could take on a far greater significance? Presumably it would have to be an initiative of the true loyalists (i.e. the one who are loyalists in this war too) as an initiative from London would probably just be heckled and derided by the defeated rebels (I'm going on an if here as the UK losing this war doesn't seem to work for this TL though on the off-chance it happens then I'm sure this idea could work in a slightly altered way). But perhaps, could the title be revived again after this war, with the loyalist leaders removing the rebels from the UEL institution and the term no longer being a sign of pride that meant little as the defeated party had their own country now, and becoming a true badge of honour in a "my ancestors saved our country" way? A bit like people these days often take pride in the stories of their grandfathers who fought in the war, only in this case only a few tens of thousands would be able to take such pride, rather than literally millions.

A very minor point that probably wouldn't affect the TL in any way (except it would be cool to see the odd provincial leader turning up further down the TL proudly calling themselves United Empire Loyalist generations after the war) but I love little ideas like this.

Glen

During the early years of the Republic of Texas, one of President Jackson's major objectives was making real the tenuous claims to California Texas had made. The overseas route was lengthy, having to circumnavigate the entirety of South America. The main overland route, the Old Spanish Trail, was circuitous and felt to be vulnerable to snow in the winter. Jackson's government sought a way directly through the desert to the Pacific. President Jackson sent one of his staunchest loyalists and famous explorer, William Henry Ashley, to find a route as straight as possible from Albuquerque to the Pacific. Ashley was successful, blazing a route almost due west, with water sources no more than 20 miles apart! After crossing the Colorado at the Needles, he was able to link up with the Mojave Road, a native route that had spurs to both the Central Valley of California and down to Presidio de Santa Barbara on the Pacific Ocean. On reaching Santa Barbara, Ashley's party was held by the Mexican faction holding the region, but was able to convince them that they were American traders who had crossed the continent by the Old Spanish Trail. Ashley and his party were treated as heroes on their return to Texas. Ironically, it was the discovery of a more direct route to California that later made possible the sale of northern New Mexico and California to the Americans under the Brown Presidency, as before this the sale would have severed the only known routes from Texas to the Pacific.

Texan Wagon Road.GIF