Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Consul Jackson chose to head up the Army of Texas on its fateful march to the Mississippi. He arrived just in time to relieve the Siege of New Orleans, and managed to envelope the surrounding British regulars in turn. New Orleans and many other prominant coastal cities of British Southern America had had fortresses built to ward off any attempted American attacks earlier in the century, and now ironically were turned against the ships of the British.

Lake_Borgne_de_la_Tour_map_1720.jpg

In the East, Consul Cheves turned to prominent planter and former British officer Banestre Tarleton Pinckney. While some Pinckneys had joined the rebels in 1775, his branch of the family had stayed loyal and held on to their lands in South Carolina. Named after British war hero Banastre Tarleton (still reviled in American Virginia), General Pinckney would live up to his namesake's reputation in reverse, this time fighting the Loyalist militias.

Last edited:

Glen

Manpower in the Slaver Uprising was always a problem for both sides. While there were many among the planter class who had served in the British military, they needed men to command. Out of the need for self protection and protection of other Loyalists, the Black Companies were born. Commanded by whites (oftentimes their recent masters), freed blacks were dedicated to protecting their new found freedom, and were some of the fiercest fighters in the war.

t1_056.jpg

Even more fabled would become the black force known as the Sable Legion. Originally raised in Hispaniola, this force would see service on the continent, often absorbing smaller black units into their ranks.

Glen

Factions of British Southern America (not including Texas)
  • American Slavocrats - families who migrated to the BSA after passage of abolition in the USA (pro-slave, pro-independence, mixed on indians)
  • Southern Slaveocrats - families indigenous to Britain or the South owning slaves, mostly plantations (pro-slave, republicans by reason, mixed on indians)
  • Southern Anti-Indian - families looking to expel the civilized tribes in order to gain gold, land, and other resources (mixed on slaves, republicans by reason, anti-indian)
  • Pro-Independents - families looking to establish an independent, democratic nation in Southern America (mixed on slaves, pro-independence, mixed on indians)
  • Annexationists - families looking to have one or more province of the BSA annexed to America (anti-slavery, pro-annextionist, mixed on indians)
  • Pro-Indian - Indians and their predominant Scotch-Irish allies (mixed on slavery, Imperialists by reason, pro-indian)
  • Abolition Loyalists - families in favor of abolition, mostly poor whites, small urban population, mixed race (anti-slavery, Imperialist by reason, mixed on indians)
  • New Loyalists - families not notably loyalist in ARW, loyal to Britain (mixed on slavery, pro-Empire, mixed on indians)
  • United Empire Loyalist - families who remained loyal in the ARW, loyal to Britain now (mixed on slavery, pro-Empire, mixed on indians)

Not yet an exhaustive list, and some people belong in more than one camp.

Glen

Factions of British Southern America (not including Texas)
  • American Slavocrats - families who migrated to the BSA after passage of abolition in the USA (pro-slave, pro-independence, mixed on indians)
  • Southern Slaveocrats - families indigenous to Britain or the South owning slaves, mostly plantations (pro-slave, republicans by reason, mixed on indians)
  • Southern Anti-Indian - families looking to expel the civilized tribes in order to gain gold, land, and other resources (mixed on slaves, republicans by reason, anti-indian)
  • Pro-Independents - families looking to establish an independent, democratic nation in Southern America (mixed on slaves, pro-independence, mixed on indians)
  • Annexationists - families looking to have one or more province of the BSA annexed to America (anti-slavery, pro-annextionist, mixed on indians)
  • Pro-Indian - Indians and their predominant Scotch-Irish allies (mixed on slavery, Imperialists by reason, pro-indian)
  • Abolition Loyalists - families in favor of abolition, mostly poor whites, small urban population, mixed race (anti-slavery, Imperialist by reason, mixed on indians)
  • New Loyalists - families not notably loyalist in ARW, loyal to Britain (mixed on slavery, pro-Empire, mixed on indians)
  • United Empire Loyalist - families who remained loyal in the ARW, loyal to Britain now (mixed on slavery, pro-Empire, mixed on indians)

Not yet an exhaustive list, and some people belong in more than one camp.

Factions of the Republic of Texas (at the time of union with the British Southern Provinces)
  • Texan Slaveocrats - families mostly from the British South in favor of slavery and confederation (pro-slave, pro-Confederation, mixed on indians)
  • Texan Expansionists - families in favor of Southern Confederation (mixed on slavery, pro-Confederation, mixed on indians)
  • Texan Isolationists - families in favor of Texas remaining separate (mixed on slavery, pro-independence)
  • Texan Annexationists - families in favor of annexation of Texas to the USA (anti-slavery, pro-annexation)
  • Texan Anglophiles - families in favor of joining the British Empire (mixed on slavery, pro-Empire)
  • Texan Liberal Anglophiles - families in favor of abolition and Reformist Britain (anti-slavery, pro-Empire)

Again, not an exhaustive list. First nations peoples are not as big a part of Texan politics as in the British South.

I'm not aware of any duels between Bainbridge & Decatur, both naval heroes of the OTL war with the Barbary Pirates and of 1812; IOTL Decatur was killed in a duel with Commodore James Barron in 1820 which took place in Bladensburg, MD, over some critical comments Decatur made about Barron's conduct in the Chesapeake-Leopard incident when Barron controversially returned to duty after being suspended from active duty without pay for 5 years as a result (Barron was in command of the Chesapeake at the time, and Decatur was a member of the court-martial that found Barron guilty of neglecting his duty and suspended him.) Bainbridge was Decatur's second, although that might not have been the best choice as Bainbridge secretly disliked Decatur. I'd suspect that at least this incident would be butterflied TTL.

Yes, this was the incident I remembered; I had gotten Bainbridge's role confused. Thanks for clarifying.
If no dual, then possibly Decatur is still around to play a political role of some sort.

Looks interesting. It wouldbe neat to hear something about the regional concentrations of the factions, particularly the ones in the BSA.
Looking forward to more.

Glen

Yes, this was the incident I remembered; I had gotten Bainbridge's role confused. Thanks for clarifying.
If no dual, then possibly Decatur is still around to play a political role of some sort.

Certainly possible. Does anyone know what his politics were IOTL?

Glen

Looks interesting. It wouldbe neat to hear something about the regional concentrations of the factions, particularly the ones in the BSA.
Looking forward to more.

Yes, that is a good question. I will try to interject some of that in future posts.

Glen

Factions in the USA

• Abolitionist Americans - families seeking the end of slavery worldwide
  • Anglophile Americans - families supporting closer ties with Britain
  • Anti-Southern Americans - families who want the South held down
  • Annexationist Americans - families seeking to annex the South to America
  • Small South Americans - families who want favor independence for the Southern Provinces but not Confederation
  • Pro-Southern Trade Americans - families seeking an independent South to trade with

Once again, not an exhaustive list.

Eurofed

Banned
Factions in the USA

• Abolitionist Americans - families seeking the end of slavery worldwide
  • Anglophile Americans - families supporting closer ties with Britain
  • Anti-Southern Americans - families who want the South held down
  • Annexationist Americans - families seeking to annex the South to America
  • Small South Americans - families who want favor independence for the Southern Provinces but not Confederation
  • Pro-Southern Trade Americans - families seeking an independent South to trade with
Once again, not an exhaustive list.

I don't get what the SSA Americans stand for. Do they support the independence of CSA but not its union with Texas ? :confused:

Hey all, I'm back. Good to see the war is just starting to see its first major campaign as I return :D. I may be resurrecting some old points, but I'd just like to make a few comments about things I've only just got the chance to respond to, if I may...

That lines doesn't necessarily mean the good guys lose. Swap Northern for British and it still gets used today, including on this board I think.

A fair point. Not being American and not reading that many comparatively late (chronologically) US TLs I'd never really come across the phrase, and wasn't aware of its use, although obviously I am aware that some southerns OTL do still view the US as the occupying power, or perhaps more correctly "the winner who should never have won". However, I'd still point out that - though I can't suggest a better phrase - "War of British Aggression" still suggests more "them versus us" philosophy than "War of Northern Aggression", which is part of what inspired my point. It still suggests that to many BSAers in future, they are going to view the British as someone they aren't and they don't want to be - a bit like "War of Northern Aggression" actually being "War of United States Aggression" and those who use it pointedly refusing to accept Washington as their capital or northerners as their countrymen. Still, I guess in any scenario including this type of sticky situation, you have to expect some perpetual simmering emotion as the cultural legacy of such acts. Perhaps I should merely stop trying to view this TL through British pink-tinted specs where there exists ways to make it so that in the end, 100% of the population are flag-waving, Queen-loving British patriots.

Differences in breakfast in the United States of America versus British Southern America:

USA - Pancakes with maple syrup and a cup of coffee
BSA - Pancakes with powdered sugar and a cup of tea

Just a tidbit before things really get serious.:D

And not a crumpet or scone in sight :(

To lead this new confederation, they chose two Consuls - Andrew Jackson of Texas and Langdon Cheves of South Carolina.

Hmmm...I have a dislike of Jackson, mainly just because I view him to be a threat instead of one of those nice bad guys who is humorously ineffectual, but I guess in the long term this is a good thing (from my POV). I was slightly worried - entirely without provocation but I'm all about creating enemies out of shadows ;) - that Jackson was going to turn into a Jack-in-the-Box figure - a man who would recede into obscurity only to reappear when everyone had just forgotten about him. As one of the heads of the new rebel state, he should find himself on the receiving end of a punishment big enough to at least ensure he won't keep reappearing. Incidentally, what happened to the defeated ACW leaders and generals? Were they executed? Pensioned off and kept under surveillance? Did they retire peacefully as if nothing happened?

I guess Cheves certainly won't be going down in TTL as the father of natural selection theories, anyway.

The first flag of the Confederation of Southern America was reminescent of the Union Jack with the Saint George's Cross excised (symbolizing both the Southern British heritage and their break with England). The stars on the flag represented the eight rebel provinces and Texas.

So, entirely accidentally, rather than being based on the Flag of Saint George you instead have the flag of Saint Patrick superimposed on the flag of Saint David ;) I find this ironic considering your later comments about the Scots-Irish being the loyal ones :D

Well, hopefully the Confederation of Southern America won't be quite as unpleasant as the other people to use that flag (or that we'll have to read about a RN officer serving on a ship on blockade duty off this CSA who has to use copious quantities of zinc oxide because of excessively pale skin....:))

I'm sure I should get this reference, but I just can't put my finger on it. At risk of looking stupid, can you please enlighten me?

So Texas has chosen to throw its lot with the CSA on its own ? Well, this certainly simplifies things a lot in the Southwest.

London: "If the Texans want to join a colony of Her Majesty in open rebellion, so be it. We cannot but oblige the implicit offer of allegiance. Chiefs of Staff, please expand our plans for reconquest".

Washington: "Fools".

Mexico City: "Uh-oh. We better stay out of this one, lost territories or not".

I have to agree with Eurofed here. While it may not be an implausible move for Texas, especially considering its Anglo population, it's certainly a rash move because it involves them in a war they both could never have need fight (and thus, lose) and also because with the proper diplomatic shuffling, they could have easily waited out the war and then used whatever happened to their advantage without risking any punishment, and potentially without angering either party. That said, the presence of Andrew Jackson always was going to tip the balance (can you tell I don't like him?) The Texans have, in effect, declared independence from a power they were entirely independent from, and now must fight for their freedom. However, from a storytelling point of view this could be interesting. Could we now see a three-way war, albeit one entirely confined to Texas? You've got the Texan military, whatever it consists of, fighting for the rebels, the British who are now obliged to lay a smack-down on Texas and conquer it in order to finish the war with their actual opponents, and surely a third party of US annexationists allied to plain Texan independence supporters who don't want to be subjugated to London, and yet aren't willing to throw in their lot with a slave-owning, US-hating, war-starting load of...well, rebels. A posse of militias who turn on any military, British or DSA (non-Texan), who enter their territory, perhaps, in genuine vigilante hero style?

Consul Jackson chose to head up the Army of Texas on its fateful march to the Mississippi. He arrived just in time to relieve the Siege of New Orleans, and managed to envelope the surrounding British regulars in turn. New Orleans and many other prominant coastal cities of British Southern America had had fortresses built to ward off any attempted American attacks earlier in the century, and now ironically were turned against the ships of the British.

I find myself slightly restless that the British/loyalists do not as yet have a single named leader or 'hero' figure the likes of Pinky or Jackson. However, I guess on the other hand, the British have not yet played their hand, so I'll wait a bit longer.

Glen

Hey all, I'm back. Good to see the war is just starting to see its first major campaign as I return :D. I may be resurrecting some old points, but I'd just like to make a few comments about things I've only just got the chance to respond to, if I may...

Welcome back! And yes, please do!!

A fair point. Not being American and not reading that many comparatively late (chronologically) US TLs I'd never really come across the phrase, and wasn't aware of its use, although obviously I am aware that some southerns OTL do still view the US as the occupying power, or perhaps more correctly "the winner who should never have won".

That's the nice thing about Alternate History....it teaches real history:D.

However, I'd still point out that - though I can't suggest a better phrase - "War of British Aggression" still suggests more "them versus us" philosophy than "War of Northern Aggression", which is part of what inspired my point. It still suggests that to many BSAers in future, they are going to view the British as someone they aren't and they don't want to be - a bit like "War of Northern Aggression" actually being "War of United States Aggression" and those who use it pointedly refusing to accept Washington as their capital or northerners as their countrymen.

So if we were looking for something more parallel, would it be the "War of Trans-Atlantic Aggression" or maybe the "War of Parliamentary Aggression". British also refers to the island of Great Britain, so in that way is a bit more geographic. No Southerner IOTL would have used the "War of American Aggression" because they both shared the American continent, but here the British part wouldn't be that big of a leap (especially once they drop the 'British' in their name).

Still, I guess in any scenario including this type of sticky situation, you have to expect some perpetual simmering emotion as the cultural legacy of such acts. Perhaps I should merely stop trying to view this TL through British pink-tinted specs where there exists ways to make it so that in the end, 100% of the population are flag-waving, Queen-loving British patriots.

I will point out to you that some of the South has nostalgia (or more than that) for the days of the Confederacy, the South is also one of the most patriotic about the USA as well. Sometimes human sentiment doesn't have to make logical sense.

And not a crumpet or scone in sight :(

Not for breakfast, dude!;)

Hmmm...I have a dislike of Jackson, mainly just because I view him to be a threat instead of one of those nice bad guys who is humorously ineffectual, but I guess in the long term this is a good thing (from my POV). I was slightly worried - entirely without provocation but I'm all about creating enemies out of shadows ;) - that Jackson was going to turn into a Jack-in-the-Box figure - a man who would recede into obscurity only to reappear when everyone had just forgotten about him. As one of the heads of the new rebel state, he should find himself on the receiving end of a punishment big enough to at least ensure he won't keep reappearing.

Love him, hate him, or both, you have to acknowledge that Jackson was an important figure, and likely to be so in almost any timeline as long as he isn't killed or sidelined by a lengthy period of peace. Time will tell about your Jack in the Box concept, but he's not getting any younger....

Incidentally, what happened to the defeated ACW leaders and generals? Were they executed? Pensioned off and kept under surveillance? Did they retire peacefully as if nothing happened?

Most put down their arms, and were stripped of their rights to stand for office. They by and large sought other pursuits, but some of them did end up getting rehabilitated and entering into public life again. Forrest was a founder of the Ku Klux Klan.

I guess Cheves certainly won't be going down in TTL as the father of natural selection theories, anyway.

Why do you think that?:rolleyes:

So, entirely accidentally, rather than being based on the Flag of Saint George you instead have the flag of Saint Patrick superimposed on the flag of Saint David ;) I find this ironic considering your later comments about the Scots-Irish being the loyal ones :D

There are Rebel Scots-Irish, too, but historically there was a lot of mixing between the civilized tribes and the celts who migrated to that region, so here that continues and I'm really just highlighting it.

I'm sure I should get this reference, but I just can't put my finger on it. At risk of looking stupid, can you please enlighten me?

Turtledove's rather lengthy series of AH books in a world where the South won the ACW, and the North became rather bitter about it. North and South fight another three times, up to a parallel World War II. During WWII in the Turtledove timeline (referred to for reasons I've never quite understood as TL-191) there's a party in the CSA analogous to the Nazis in Germany IOTL who use a very similar flag as their symbol, and make it the flag of the CSA when they come to power IIRC.

I have to agree with Eurofed here. While it may not be an implausible move for Texas, especially considering its Anglo population, it's certainly a rash move because it involves them in a war they both could never have need fight (and thus, lose) and also because with the proper diplomatic shuffling, they could have easily waited out the war and then used whatever happened to their advantage without risking any punishment, and potentially without angering either party. That said, the presence of Andrew Jackson always was going to tip the balance (can you tell I don't like him?)

Jackson IOTL and ITTL hates the British. He is the catalyst to pull together a disparate coalition of Texan factions to unite with the break-away British Southern Provinces. Jackson will take any chance to remove the British from the North American continent. He sees this as a way to bind the British rebel provinces together and to Texas, so they won't falter or be picked off by the British. It appeals to those who feel close to the South (but not the British), those who support slavery, those who want to see national expansion, etc.

The Texans have, in effect, declared independence from a power they were entirely independent from, and now must fight for their freedom.

That is indeed one way to look at it. Another way is that Texas is essentially annexing the rebelling southern provinces, taking them by force from the British. Crazy? Maybe. Jackson Crazy?? Oh yeah, baby!:D

However, from a storytelling point of view this could be interesting. Could we now see a three-way war, albeit one entirely confined to Texas? You've got the Texan military, whatever it consists of, fighting for the rebels, the British who are now obliged to lay a smack-down on Texas and conquer it in order to finish the war with their actual opponents, and surely a third party of US annexationists allied to plain Texan independence supporters who don't want to be subjugated to London, and yet aren't willing to throw in their lot with a slave-owning, US-hating, war-starting load of...well, rebels. A posse of militias who turn on any military, British or DSA (non-Texan), who enter their territory, perhaps, in genuine vigilante hero style?

That is a real possibility, depending how the war goes and the relative strengths of the various factions, and whether enough can hold together in alliance.

I find myself slightly restless that the British/loyalists do not as yet have a single named leader or 'hero' figure the likes of Pinky or Jackson. However, I guess on the other hand, the British have not yet played their hand, so I'll wait a bit longer.

Yep. Give it time, they will make an appearance.:)

Does anyone have any good resources for 1830s British uniforms?

Hardly a comprehensive source, but there's this:

Redcoats.png

It seems really it's just the same as Napoleonic dress, except they now wear two cross-belts, the shako is a bit wider, the epaulettes are now part of the enlisted uniform as well as for officers and some peripheral stuff like how the trousers are worn.

Not for breakfast, dude!;)

Crumpet is actually idea for breakfast. Oh, you mean the edible kind.:p

Turtledove's rather lengthy series of AH books in a world where the South won the ACW, and the North became rather bitter about it. North and South fight another three times, up to a parallel World War II. During WWII in the Turtledove timeline (referred to for reasons I've never quite understood as TL-191) there's a party in the CSA analogous to the Nazis in Germany IOTL who use a very similar flag as their symbol, and make it the flag of the CSA when they come to power IIRC.

It's it something to do with the initial POD being that Lee's orders in 1862 which OTL were captured by change by the north isn't in this case. And that this was army order 191?

Jackson IOTL and ITTL hates the British. He is the catalyst to pull together a disparate coalition of Texan factions to unite with the break-away British Southern Provinces. Jackson will take any chance to remove the British from the North American continent. He sees this as a way to bind the British rebel provinces together and to Texas, so they won't falter or be picked off by the British. It appeals to those who feel close to the South (but not the British), those who support slavery, those who want to see national expansion, etc.

On the swing side of this, with a lot of British settlers in Texas, especially possibly with a bias against the plantation holders, this could be less than popular in Texas. Not to mention plenty of others probably concerned about why Texas is being dragged into a war against one of the world's great powers. If things start going badly for Texas and the rebels, [or even without that] Jackson could find a lot of unrest in Texas and possibly even a rebellion against his leadership and its effects.

That is indeed one way to look at it. Another way is that Texas is essentially annexing the rebelling southern provinces, taking them by force from the British. Crazy? Maybe. Jackson Crazy?? Oh yeah, baby!:D

Crazy definitely. Jackson crazy, possibly.;)

Steve

- that Jackson was going to turn into a Jack-in-the-Box figure - a man who would recede into obscurity only to reappear when everyone had just forgotten about him.
?So do whe get Jackson, playing the part of Santa Anna?
Forrest was a founder of the Ku Klux Klan.
? Are You Sure? IIRC there is some controversy about this.

Glen

Crumpet is actually idea for breakfast. Oh, you mean the edible kind.:p

Oh, you can eat crumpet, alright....oh my, we've gone someplace off-topic, I think....:eek:

It's it something to do with the initial POD being that Lee's orders in 1862 which OTL were captured by change by the north isn't in this case. And that this was army order 191?

Thought it was something like that; thanks!

On the swing side of this, with a lot of British settlers in Texas, especially possibly with a bias against the plantation holders, this could be less than popular in Texas. Not to mention plenty of others probably concerned about why Texas is being dragged into a war against one of the world's great powers. If things start going badly for Texas and the rebels, [or even without that] Jackson could find a lot of unrest in Texas and possibly even a rebellion against his leadership and its effects.

I think the points you make are quite salient. I think Jackson is riding the tiger, but whether to glory or disaster remains to be seen....

Crazy definitely. Jackson crazy, possibly.;)

Steve

Thanks for the vote for plausibility!:D

Glen

?So do whe get Jackson, playing the part of Santa Anna?

What an interesting image! But Santa Anna played many parts during his rather long and checkered career. Which of Santa Anna's many roles do you see Jackson taking the part of?

? Are You Sure? IIRC there is some controversy about this.

I'm sure as any can be that he played some role. It may not have been as much or as malignant as some thought.