Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Well, yes, they could, and in fact some will be swayed by the offers of both sides for increased rights. However, some too will just see it as which master you choose to serve....

Well I'm presuming that the traditional hands-off British methods are continuing. I.e. outside defence and empire wide matters like slavery the locals are largely left to look after themselves. In which case the question of who rules is more a matter of the planters or the others.

Not quite the same when it is not 'whites' getting their assets seized. Don't forget the racism factor.

I was actually thinking of the seizure of British assets, especially the warships. I can guess how the RN think about that.;)

Steve

Glen

Well I'm presuming that the traditional hands-off British methods are continuing. I.e. outside defence and empire wide matters like slavery the locals are largely left to look after themselves. In which case the question of who rules is more a matter of the planters or the others.

I was actually thinking of the seizure of British assets, especially the warships. I can guess how the RN think about that.;)

Steve

I think I follow your thinking on the first comment. On the second, certainly the Admirals will be quite miffed!:D However, comandeering supplies in time of war is hardly a new thing. I don't think there's any precedent there.

Not familiar with that one off the top of my head (though they names suggest Georgia). Have you a link or two for me to investigate?

I'm not aware of any duels between Bainbridge & Decatur, both naval heroes of the OTL war with the Barbary Pirates and of 1812; IOTL Decatur was killed in a duel with Commodore James Barron in 1820 which took place in Bladensburg, MD, over some critical comments Decatur made about Barron's conduct in the Chesapeake-Leopard incident when Barron controversially returned to duty after being suspended from active duty without pay for 5 years as a result (Barron was in command of the Chesapeake at the time, and Decatur was a member of the court-martial that found Barron guilty of neglecting his duty and suspended him.) Bainbridge was Decatur's second, although that might not have been the best choice as Bainbridge secretly disliked Decatur. I'd suspect that at least this incident would be butterflied TTL.

Glen

I'm not aware of any duels between Bainbridge & Decatur, both naval heroes of the OTL war with the Barbary Pirates and of 1812; IOTL Decatur was killed in a duel with Commodore James Barron in 1820 which took place in Bladensburg, MD, over some critical comments Decatur made about Barron's conduct in the Chesapeake-Leopard incident when Barron controversially returned to duty after being suspended from active duty without pay for 5 years as a result (Barron was in command of the Chesapeake at the time, and Decatur was a member of the court-martial that found Barron guilty of neglecting his duty and suspended him.) Bainbridge was Decatur's second, although that might not have been the best choice as Bainbridge secretly disliked Decatur. I'd suspect that at least this incident would be butterflied TTL.

Definitely, as the Chesapeake-Leopard incident never happened.

I suppose the real question is just how much did Barron have it out for Decatur, and why....

Glen

Differences in breakfast in the United States of America versus British Southern America:

USA - Pancakes with maple syrup and a cup of coffee
BSA - Pancakes with powdered sugar and a cup of tea

Just a tidbit before things really get serious.:D

Glen

In the early part of 1836, the assemblies of the eight rebellious provinces of British Southern America sent their representatives to Augusta in the Province of Georgia to form a new nation. The reasons to band together were twofold; to unite their strengths to fend off the Mother Country, and to forestall any attempts at annexation by the abolitionist United States. The representatives were resolute but dour in mood, the Indians were mounting a spirited resistance, civil war had broken out with the Loyalists, and reinforcements were arriving from Britain. However, their spirits were lifted when the Texans arrived to pledge not only their support, but willingness to join together with the provinces in a new Confederation of Southern America. To lead this new confederation, they chose two Consuls - Andrew Jackson of Texas and Langdon Cheves of South Carolina.

Consul Jackson
AndrewJackson.jpg

Consul Cheves
LangdonCheves.jpg

Glen

The first flag of the Confederation of Southern America was reminescent of the Union Jack with the Saint George's Cross excised (symbolizing both the Southern British heritage and their break with England). The stars on the flag represented the eight rebel provinces and Texas.

A flag of the Confederation of Southern America:

Confederation Flag.png

The first flag of the Confederation of Southern America was reminescent of the Union Jack with the Saint George's Cross excised (symbolizing both the Southern British heritage and their break with England). The stars on the flag represented the eight rebel provinces and Texas.

A flag of the Confederation of Southern America:

This flag seems so familiar...I just can't remember where I have seen it before;)

This flag seems so familiar...I just can't remember where I have seen it before;)

Well, hopefully the Confederation of Southern America won't be quite as unpleasant as the other people to use that flag (or that we'll have to read about a RN officer serving on a ship on blockade duty off this CSA who has to use copious quantities of zinc oxide because of excessively pale skin....:))

Glen

Well, hopefully the Confederation of Southern America won't be quite as unpleasant as the other people to use that flag (or that we'll have to read about a RN officer serving on a ship on blockade duty off this CSA who has to use copious quantities of zinc oxide because of excessively pale skin....:))

Hey, convergent evolution happens! And this flag has less stars!

Don't worry, this will not be a TL-191 pastiche, just a coincidence.

Eurofed

Banned
So Texas has chosen to throw its lot with the CSA on its own ? Well, this certainly simplifies things a lot in the Southwest.

London: "If the Texans want to join a colony of Her Majesty in open rebellion, so be it. We cannot but oblige the implicit offer of allegiance. Chiefs of Staff, please expand our plans for reconquest".

Washington: "Fools".

Mexico City: "Uh-oh. We better stay out of this one, lost territories or not".

Last edited:

Glen

So Texas has chosen to throw its lot with the CSA on its own ? Well, this certainly simplifies things a lot in the Southwest.

In some ways, yes, in some ways, no....

London: "If the Texans want to join a colony of Her Majesty in open rebellion, so be it. We cannot but oblige the implicit offer of allegiance. Chiefs of Staff, please expand our plans for reconquest".

Indeed they might try....or else you have both a Dominion of Southern America and a Confederation of Southern America if it comes to an inconclusive ending.:eek:;)

Washington: "Fools".

Which ones?:D

Mexico City: "Uh-oh. We better stay out of this one, lost territories or not".

Well, depends which Mexico we're talking about....:rolleyes:

Not exactly....inverted colors and less stars (but bigger, they grow stars bigger in Texas....).

There's also how the Stars and Bars had stripes (bars) instead of a Cross. What you have there is a color swapped version of the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee with some stars missing.

Still, it screams CSA.

Oh. Just noticed the Initials were the same.

Hey, convergent evolution happens! And this flag has less stars!

Don't worry, this will not be a TL-191 pastiche, just a coincidence.

Good to know, although my last comment sort of wrote itself upon seeing that flag. Still, a cameo or reference or two done right could be interesting, especially if you can use it as a bit of humor.

Glen

There's also how the Stars and Bars had stripes (bars) instead of a Cross. What you have there is a color swapped version of the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee with some stars missing.

Still, it screams CSA.

Oh. Just noticed the Initials were the same.

You are, of course, quite right, the stars and bars was a very different flag. Army of Tennessee, Confederate naval jack, yeah. However, in this case that really is the national flag, and not a battle flag. And yep, the initials are the same, and the name is very similar as well, but its a case of parallelism (though not really convergence).

Glen

Good to know, although my last comment sort of wrote itself upon seeing that flag. Still, a cameo or reference or two done right could be interesting, especially if you can use it as a bit of humor.

True on both counts....have to think about that....