Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

An early flag of the Republic of Brazil:

500px-Flag_Princes_of_Brazil.PNG

n a counter-invasion, the forces of the USSA swung around out of the west and were able to sever Santa Catarina and thus Rio Grande do Sul from Brazil proper.

I'm inclined to believe this is the USSA's loss and Brazil's gain rather than the opposite. On top of the problem of settling in Portuguese into an entirely Spanish state, that area of Brazil is shortly going to turn into a hotbed of revolutionary sentiment, and I fear where the republicans lose their goal of government change, they will have a more than ample new target for their ire in the linguistic politics and bias they will now have to overcome. Piratini and Juliana Republics, ahoy!

Incidentally, I'm kind of expecting the USSA to fall apart itself anyway. There were a ton of factions over there that hated each others guts - I was flabbergasted that you got the Chileans and Argentinians to cooperate in a single state for example ;) - and to be a honest I'd be a little surprised if the partisanism didn't wrench that state apart. Perhaps the revolutionary activity in the newly conquered Portuguese territories will be the domino which starts the chain reaction, eh?

Glen

I'm inclined to believe this is the UPSA's loss and Brazil's gain rather than the opposite. On top of the problem of settling in Portuguese into an entirely Spanish state, that area of Brazil is shortly going to turn into a hotbed of revolutionary sentiment, and I fear where the republicans lose their goal of government change, they will have a more than ample new target for their ire in the linguistic politics and bias they will now have to overcome. Piratini and Juliana Republics, ahoy!

Entirely possible.:)

Incidentally, I'm kind of expecting the UPSA to fall apart itself anyway. There were a ton of factions over there that hated each others guts - I was flabbergasted that you got the Chileans and Argentinians to cooperate in a single state for example ;) - and to be a honest I'd be a little surprised if the partisanism didn't wrench that state apart. Perhaps the revolutionary activity in the newly conquered Portuguese territories will be the domino which starts the chain reaction, eh?

Or the perceived challenge that unites them....could go either way, and this really doesn't take us any further than the UPSA's initial founding. We've still a long way to go to see how it develops.

Glen

Historians dispute which was the first independent Lusophone nation in South America.

After the UPSA counterstrike against the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil, the question arose of what to do with the occupied Brazilian provinces. While some favored their annexation to the UPSA, it was eventually decided to grant them their independence (as a protectorate). The new state was named the Republic of Rio Grande do Sul, and came into being at the beginning of the 1820s. Shortly thereafter the Brazilians themselves sought to sever ties with Portugal, rebelling to declare the Republic of Brazil. There was talk of the Brazilian Republic annexing the Republic of Rio Grande do Sul, but the UPSA blocked any move towards such. The Brazilians did not go to war over the issue, having other matters to deal with, namely the Loyalist hold-outs in the north. Attempts to quell the pro-Portuguese forces in the north, far from the main power in the South, went poorly, especially when the King of Portugal sent a relief force to help hold the north at least loyal to the Portuguese crown. Eventually, the British brokered a peace between the Portuguese and Brazilians, with the north remaining a Portuguese colony, the Colony of Maranhao, while Portugal recognized the Republic of Brazil in the south.

However, peace internally in Brazil did not last long, as the issue of slavery boiled over in the early 1830s. The state of Pernambuco was the first state in Brazil to abolish slavery, and it and its neighbors was a hotbed of abolitionist sentiment in an otherwise slaveocracy ruled Brazil. Pernambuco legislators made several attempts to get the Republic to ban the practice, but to no avail. Finally, in 1834 Pernambuco and the other northern states seceeded from the Republic, declaring the abolitionist Confederation of the Equator (sometimes referred to as the Equatorial Confederacy).

Only a year later, in 1835, inspired by the abolition of slavery in Britain and the formation of the abolitionist Confederation of the Equator to the north, the slaves of Bahia rose up and took control of the state, forming the black controlled Bahia Republic.

The UPSA was fast to recognize all the new break-away states, much to the consternation of the Republic of Brazil.

The Break-Up of Brazil:

Brazil_states1835.PNG

Last edited:

Glen

The Legion of the United States was the first professional army formed by the Americans after the American Revolutionary War. Raised, trained, and led by intrepid Revolutionary War officer 'Mad' Anthony Wayne, the unit was raised in response to poor showing for troops sent to the Northwest Territory to suppress the Indians there. Not only was General Wayne successful in that endeavor, but his work on expanding the American Legions, is believed by many experts to be directly attributable to the incredible successes the army enjoyed in breaking the back of Indian resistance throughout the Northwest Territory in the War of 1804, when the tribes there sided with the French, much to their regret. Sadly, General Wayne did not live long after his penultimate triumph, dying while travelling back east after his victory.

General_Anthony_Wayne_Statue.JPG

Yeah, me too....:D....anyone care to take a stab at a world map? If not, I'll get around to it eventually, just not real soon....

I tried, but had to give up after well over an hour's work. I've got no experience at all at map work, was just tinkering in MSPaint, and I found I just couldn't resolve where the borders were supposed to be :(

Glen

I tried, but had to give up after well over an hour's work. I've got no experience at all at map work, was just tinkering in MSPaint, and I found I just couldn't resolve where the borders were supposed to be :(

Don't feel too bad, and remember that you're working off of someone else's notes. I'm flattered you even gave it a try!

And don't give up on mapmaking overall, please! It is a true joy.:D

Great timeline, really enjoying it so far :D

Here's a map. Only thing I was really unsure about besides the Mexican hijinks was whether the Belgian and Greek Revolutions succeeded ITTL. I decided not to touch the old map when it came to that. Some of the Brazilian borders may be slightly off, but I tried my best. I wonder if it was appropriate to give the Confederacy color to the Confederation of the Equator? Also, I wasn't sure about how far the Russians and Americans were now in the Pacific Northwest so I left that area green.
DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

Last edited:

Glen

View attachment 99052
Great timeline, really enjoying it so far :D

Thanks!!!:D

Here's a map. Only thing I was really unsure about besides the Mexican hijinks was whether the Belgian and Greek Revolutions succeeded ITTL. I decided not to touch the old map when it came to that. Some of the Brazilian borders may be slightly off, but I tried my best. I wonder if it was appropriate to give the Confederacy color to the Confederation of the Equator? Also, I wasn't sure about how far the Russians and Americans were now in the Pacific Northwest so I left that area green.

It's pretty darned good!:D:D:D

Mexico's not quite right, and yes, Greece gets its independence, though I'm still trying to figure out the Belgian question. I think your fractured Brazil is brilliant, though I would not use the CSA color there despite the homage.

A riff off your map, still not correct itself, but moving us forward a little bit.

DSA 1835.PNG

Glen

View attachment 99052

Thanks!!!:D

It's pretty darned good!:D:D:D

Mexico's not quite right, and yes, Greece gets its independence, though I'm still trying to figure out the Belgian question. I think your fractured Brazil is brilliant, though I would not use the CSA color there despite the homage.

A riff off your map, still not correct itself, but moving us forward a little bit.

Okay, don't have time at the moment for a full entry on these two, but....

I have decided that Belgium will indeed separate (as the same people were calling the shots at the Congress of Vienna, the same sort of stuffed shirt gets put in charge of the Netherlands, and the same unrest erupts, though here inspired by the Reform Revolution in the UK, not the French which are actually enjoying some quiet times for once. The guy who takes the Belgian throne demands a sweetener, and is given Ceylon as a Belgian colony.

Greece gets independence a bit earlier, and biggest difference short term is the Crete revolt is successfully supported by the British so Crete is part of the new Kingdom of Greece.

Yes, I am not telling who is in charge where in these two nations yet. Gotta work a bit on that....

DSA 1835.PNG

Glen

Okay, don't have time at the moment for a full entry on these two, but....

I have decided that Belgium will indeed separate (as the same people were calling the shots at the Congress of Vienna, the same sort of stuffed shirt gets put in charge of the Netherlands, and the same unrest erupts, though here inspired by the Reform Revolution in the UK, not the French which are actually enjoying some quiet times for once. The guy who takes the Belgian throne demands a sweetener, and is given Ceylon as a Belgian colony.

Greece gets independence a bit earlier, and biggest difference short term is the Crete revolt is successfully supported by the British so Crete is part of the new Kingdom of Greece.

Yes, I am not telling who is in charge where in these two nations yet. Gotta work a bit on that....

Okay, it's a bit off, but here is the updated world map for 1835ish. As mentioned before, the situation in Mexico is complicated. In this map, the states more or less under federalist control are white with red outlining, those in centralist control are in red. Note that that is really rough, and it doesn't account for which of the federal states are in conservative federalist hands versus liberal federalists.

DSA 1835.PNG

Glen

The Reform movement in Britain inspired the southerners of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands, predominantly Liberal, Francophone, and Catholic, to seek their independence from the Conservative, Dutch-speaking Protestants of the north. Supported by France, the Netherlands could not hope to keep the region. However, British intervention was able to keep the region from being annexed outright by the Empire of France. Thus was the new Kingdom of Belgique born.

46312-004-628F483A.jpg

Louis-Phillippe

A king for the new kingdom was found from a cadet branch of the Bourbons, who became Louis-Phillippe I, King of Belgique. While a liberal, Louis-Phillippe was also no fool. Before accepting the throne he demanded that some lucrative colony of the Netherlands be ceded to Belgique. The British and French persuaded the Dutch to accede and thus was Ceylon transferred to the Belgique.

Flag of Belgique:

Flag of Belgique.PNG

Glen

500px-Flag_of_Greece_%281828-1978%29.svg.png

The Kingdom of Hellas won its independence from the Ottoman Empire in the 1820s with the assistance of many nations of Christian Europe once the powers were assured that the Hellenes would not establish a republic but rather a kingdom. The Peloponnese and Crete were able to successfully throw of the Turkish yoke, and establish the Kingdom of Hellas. A German prince became the first king, Ferdinand I of Hellas.

King Ferdinand of Hellas
Ferdinand-Saxe-Coburg-Kohary.jpg

The Reform movement in Britain inspired the southerners of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands, predominantly Liberal, Francophone, and Catholic, to seek their independence from the Conservative, Dutch-speaking Protestants of the north. Supported by France, the Netherlands could not hope to keep the region. However, British intervention was able to keep the region from being annexed outright by the Empire of France. Thus was the new Kingdom of Belgique born.

46312-004-628F483A.jpg

Louis-Phillippe

A king for the new kingdom was found from a cadet branch of the Bourbons, who became Louis-Phillippe I, King of Belgique. While a liberal, Louis-Phillippe was also no fool. Before accepting the throne he demanded that some lucrative colony of the Netherlands be ceded to Belgique. The British and French persuaded the Dutch to accede and thus was Ceylon transferred to the Belgique.

Flag of Belgique:

Er, why on earth is the Belgique flag in French colours?

Surely it'd be the Belgian tricolour (the current French style rather than the Netherlands style), possibly with a Bourbon-Orleans badge.

EDIT: like this one

Bourbon Belgium.png

Last edited:

Glen

Er, why on earth is the Belgique flag in French colours?

Surely it'd be the Belgian tricolour (the current French style rather than the Netherlands style), possibly with a Bourbon-Orleans badge.

The Belgians during their Revolution OTL actually did fly the French tricolor IOTL. Their king is more closely associated with both the French republic and the restored Bourbon French Empire (which also uses a blue-white-red tricolor, just with a Fluer-de-Lis in the middle). In fact, he remained in a cadet branch (the Dauphin lived, was adopted by Napoleon, and is now the French Emperor Louis-Napoleon I).

The Kingdom of Hellas won its independence from the Ottoman Empire in the 1820s with the assistance of many nations of Christian Europe once the powers were assured that the Hellenes would not establish a republic but rather a kingdom. The Peloponnese and Crete were able to successfully throw of the Turkish yoke, and establish the Kingdom of Hellas. A German prince became the first king, Ferdinand I of Hellas.

King Ferdinand of Hellas

Glen

Does this mean that Athens is still in Ottoman hands? I know there was some talk of this OTL but a strong reaction in pro-Hellenistic elements in Europe meant that the region became part of the new Greek state.

Steve