The world of Richard Garfinkle's "Celestial Matters", in which Ptolemaic astronomy, Aristotelian physics, and Chinese Taoist alchemy all are quite real...

Bruce

When it was first written, Middle-Earth was pretty original. Now it just reads like some sort of trite, cliched WoW ripoff.

Yea, until you read the books and realize WoW is crap compared the alternate history of the Earth that Middle-Earth is. Most likely the most original thing ever conceived.

Yea, until you read the books and realize WoW is crap compared the alternate history of the Earth that Middle-Earth is. Most likely the most original thing ever conceived.

If it wasn't so goddamn boring. Tolkien could create one helluva world. Now if only he could write worth a damn. ;)

Nikephoros

Banned
If it wasn't so goddamn boring. Tolkien could create one helluva world. Now if only he could write worth a damn. ;)

I don't know what they do with pessimistic Heretics where you live, but where I live we burn or otherwise smite them.;)

In all seriousness, you might want to stay away from any and all legends.

In all seriousness, you might want to stay away from any and all legends.

Why's that? I can deal with dry, horribly written prose if its rather short (I can read a collection of Asimov's short stories since I can read a story, put it down for a bit and pick it back up), but not when it's an epic like LotR.

Flatland is pretty trippy.

Pffft, it's merely R^2. ;)

I'll put out a word for War of the Flowers, because we don't have enough industrial fantasy. And also because the approach to science is awesome. ("Why don't you make like a human and fly to the Moon in a magic ship while you're at it?")

Nikephoros

Banned
Why's that? I can deal with dry, horribly written prose if its rather short (I can read a collection of Asimov's short stories since I can read a story, put it down for a bit and pick it back up), but not when it's an epic like LotR.

Most legend reads like that. Even Beowulf.

I think you are knocking Tolkien too much, but to each their own. I'm sure there's literature you enjoy that I can't stand, right?