Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Presumably all this means that Liberia will only ever be a pipe-dream and nothing more?

Perhaps a gradual settlement of Sierra Leone incorporating the Liberia territory TTL,

Perhaps, perhaps....

as the colonies slowly see slavery abolished? With virtually all the American slaves still in British land, could the value (in terms of perceived importance, not economic worth) of Sierra Leone become far more than Sierra Leone and Liberia together IRL? Perhaps a much more concerted effort to create a large colony there since the British have to shoulder the entire burden? Or in contrast, perhaps instead the lack of a rivalry thereabouts will mean that Sierra Leone is left far less populated and instead the freed slaves are better integrated into their territories?

One could make an argument for any and all of the above.

Can you remind me, by the way, please Glen? Has the USA banned slavery entirely, or was it just for certain colonies?

Whole US.

If the latter, perhaps the far smaller numbers of Virginian slave-owners will mean that the issue is sufficiently small in the USA that it fails to be a deciding issue in American politics, and actually the Virginian plantations are left untouched for far longer?

Well, in a way the Virginian plantation system still continues after slavery, just transforming into a more seigneurial/sharecropping type system.

Though of course, you could just as logically argue that there would comparatively quickly just be a motion made by some congressman or other to end slavery that would pass without a whimper, in order to "tie up loose ends".

Loose ends tied!

I have to admit that my head is swimming trying to calculate how the (eventual) DSA will work out in the end vis a vis freeing slaves.

Indeed.

Presumably the institution of slavery cannot, and should not, last forever, but will the abundance of slaves create horrendous ethnic tensions which make the KKK seem like saints?

Could be....

Or by contrast, will a far more abundant free slave population,

Free Slave?:confused:

after the inevitable initial teething period of unrest, actually mean that the two communities spill over into each other far more frequently, leading to a much more integrated, tolerant society?

This, too, is possible.

I guess I'll leave the tough decisions to you ;)

Thanks, thanks a lot....

The British sent forces to seize French Guiana, Martinique and Guadeloupe from France.
OTL the French Revolutionary government Freed the Slaves on the Island and sent Revolutionary Governors to enforce this.
When the British occupied the Islands in the 1790's they keep the Revolutionary Governors in place. along with the degree freeing the Slaves.
When Britain returned the Islands to France in the 1803 Treaty of Ameins, Napoleon receded the Degree [See how well that worked OTL Haiti] and sent imperial Governors to the Islands.
Britain then reoccupied the Islands in 1804 and Reinstalled the Revolutionary Governors, And reissued the Freedom Degree.

If Britain is seen ITTL as upholding the Revolutionary Degree, then a lot of the Haitian Free-Slaves will flock to the British Banner.

However this may then cause troubles in Cuba & PR, where half the blacks [25% of total population] are still slaves.
{The great growth in number of Cuban Slaves took place between 1814 [Congress of Vienna reiterated Spanish control] ~ 1830's [British Navy began enforcing ban on Slave Trade]}
The British refocused on the Caribbean when Napoleon overthrew the Spanish Monarchy and installed his brother, Joseph Boneparte, as a new King of Spain. The Royal Navy under the leadership of Nelson was the strongest asset the British possessed, and thus were able to cut off and occupy such vital Spanish islands as Cuba and Puerto Rico. By 1810 the Spanish Caribbean islands were British territory.
Problem here is that post 1807 and the installation of Joseph, Charles IV, King of Spain, fled to London where He became a British Ally. Leading to the British stopping all attacks on Spain outside Iberia.

Glen

OTL the French Revolutionary government Freed the Slaves on the Island and sent Revolutionary Governors to enforce this.
When the British occupied the Islands in the 1790's they keep the Revolutionary Governors in place. along with the degree freeing the Slaves.
When Britain returned the Islands to France in the 1803 Treaty of Ameins, Napoleon receded the Degree [See how well that worked OTL Haiti] and sent imperial Governors to the Islands.
Britain then reoccupied the Islands in 1804 and Reinstalled the Revolutionary Governors, And reissued the Freedom Degree.

Good points. My impression here is that ITTL the revolutionary governors are removed from office. The British will not remain rather mute on the question of slavery in these islands unless pressed on the subject, in which case we'll see individual commanders using their own initiative (some will reimpose slavery, others will respect the abolition).

If Britain is seen ITTL as upholding the Revolutionary Degree, then a lot of the Haitian Free-Slaves will flock to the British Banner.

:confused:According to the above they did IOTL, and yet Haitians didn't flock to the British Banner IOTL....

However this may then cause troubles in Cuba & PR, where half the blacks [25% of total population] are still slaves.
{The great growth in number of Cuban Slaves took place between 1814 [Congress of Vienna reiterated Spanish control] ~ 1830's [British Navy began enforcing ban on Slave Trade]}

British won't seek to abolish slavery on these islands.

Problem here is that post 1807 and the installation of Joseph, Charles IV, King of Spain, fled to London where He became a British Ally. Leading to the British stopping all attacks on Spain outside Iberia.

Ah, yes, that appears a problem at first glance. I suspect here that the British seize them to deny the Bonepartes any foothold in the New World while at the same time securing the Caribbean, which they have an even stronger interest in ITTL, for Britain. Charles IV acquiesces to the annexation as part of the price of continued British support.

Glen

In addition to fighting the French in the Napoleonic Wars, Britain early on had made a bid to sever Spain from its New World possessions, first in occupying Trinidad successfully, but also made several less successful attempts such as an invasion of Spanish Rio de la Plata in South America and failed expansion from areas like British Honduras and the Mosquito Coast.

Joseph_Bonaparte_%28by_Wicar%29.jpg

Joseph Boneparte, King of Spain

The British refocused on the Caribbean when Napoleon overthrew the Spanish Monarchy and installed his brother, Joseph Boneparte, as a new King of Spain. The Royal Navy under the leadership of Nelson was the strongest asset the British possessed, and thus were able to cut off and occupy such vital Spanish islands as Cuba and Puerto Rico. By 1810 the Spanish Caribbean islands were British territory.

The 1810s saw the outbreak of revolutions throughout Spanish America. Inspired by both the American and French Revolution, yet rising up in opposition to the deposing of the Spanish King, the revolutionaries of Spanish America found themselves supported by the foe of both, the British Empire. With the British blockading the Atlantic against Spanish and French forces, the rebellions in New Spain, New Granada, and Rio de la Plata found fertile purchase. By 1815, independence was achieved in Mexico under Generalissimo Ignacio Allende and New Granada under President Antonio Nariño. The United Provinces of South America grew to encompass Chile and Peru after the successful military actions of José de San Martín, who by 1820 was proclaimed Supreme Director of the UPSA.

José de San Martín began as the UPSA's most successful general, under whose command Chile was freed from Spain when the reluctant general was persuaded to accept the Governorship of Chile. He served ably in this post until he was called back to the field of battle to free Peru, whose grateful people voted him Protector of Peru. The leadership of the UPSA, having seen his ability to lead without despotism in Chile, and his popularity in that new state as well as Peru, convinced him to accept the Supreme Directorship of the whole of the UPSA. Under his leadership, he set the standard for future leadership of the nation and democratic rule, especially when he retired from office rather than making it a permanent position, which many historians felt he could. For this reason he is often called in the English speaking world "The Washington of South America".

Ignacio_Allende_by_Jose_Ines_Tovilla.jpg

Generalissimo Ignacio Allende of Mexico

Antonio_Narino.jpg

President Antonio Nariño of New Granada

retrato.jpg

Supreme Director José de San Martín of the United Provinces of South America

Last edited:

Glen

Flag of Mexico:

mx_1815a.gif

Flag of New Granada:

co_cun3.gif

Flag of the United Provinces of South America:

ar_1814.gif

Wow. I go away for a day or so, and come back to see how much meat you have given us to devour. Glen, I am a big fan.

I really like how you intertwined the Second Great Awakening and the Deist Movement in your history. The evolution of Deist thought into a full blown evangelistic christian movement is brilliant. Please don't end it there though, keep the updates coming. IIRC, in our TL the 2ndGA was just as important in New England as it was in the South and West, with Boston really being the center of American Evangelical Protestantism. Missionary and Bible Societies sprung up all over New England and New York, with their primary mission being to evangelize the world. So I hope to see your Deist Movement take up the evangelism fervor that existed in OTL New England around the turn of the 19th century.

I also want to see how the effects of a large and growing plantation aristocracy in the Southern colonies, than seems to be bouyed by the addition of plantation aristocracies throughout the Caribbean, will influence London in economic and political terms. With Sugar plantations throughout the Caribbean becoming a economic lifeblood for Britain and the soon to be King Cotton, adding to the wealth Britain will realize from its American possessions, I can really see a future where abolition efforts back in England are silenced in the name of profits. Hmm. This could be really interesting.

To contrast the rise of the Christian movements in the Second Great Awakening, who had views which could be described as "heretical", what about groups such as the Methodists? Or is your TL suggesting that kind of "new age thinking" Christianity is going to eventually dominate the USA, in a kind of proto-Arian reverse?

Hrrm...looking at your map, it looks like the Dutch lost Surinam somewhere along the way. Did they seize it from the Batavian Republic, or something? And if so, do they own all the other dutch islands now? Clearly, they're on their way to totally dominating the Caribbean, but if nothing else they still need to buy the Danish West Indies.

Also, in 1803, French Louisiana north of New Orleans consisted of nothing but Saint Louis (which had around 300 people, IIRC), and a bunch of fur trappers, so seizing it would have been beyond simple for the Americans, even with the logistical issues.

Ah, yes, that appears a problem at first glance. I suspect here that the British seize them to deny the Bonepartes any foothold in the New World while at the same time securing the Caribbean, which they have an even stronger interest in ITTL, for Britain. Charles IV acquiesces to the annexation as part of the price of continued British support.

Glen, DuQuense

Would it be more the case that Britain took control of the colonies. To secure the resources for the allied [i.e. British] war effort and deny French privateers any bases to operate from. OTL Britain returned most of its gains at the 1814-1815 peace treaties. This time it might be more awkward in the Caribbean as the islands will look very attractive to the DSA interests, to strength the position of slavery as well as make money. Also the earlier collapse of the Spanish mainland empire means there might be an interest in keeping the islands to deny Spain any bases from which to possibly try and retake its empire.

However even if only occupied for the duration, which I think is more than Britain did OTL, plus the greater support for the mainland revolutions is going to have some impact on Spain. Might be less support for Wellington's army if there's a campaign in Iberia. On the bright side for Spain it can probably avoid being distracted by fighting to regain the colonies after the war.

Britain is going to have some identity problems. Supporting independence movements in Latin America and freeing some slaves in Haiti while the abolition movement will be building up steam. However at the same time having the much greater planter bloc in parliament as the southern colonies combine with the interests in the islands, especially with more islands under British control.

Steve

Glen

Wow. I go away for a day or so, and come back to see how much meat you have given us to devour. Glen, I am a big fan.

Thanks, Sam. Eat up!

I really like how you intertwined the Second Great Awakening and the Deist Movement in your history. The evolution of Deist thought into a full blown evangelistic christian movement is brilliant. Please don't end it there though, keep the updates coming.

Thanks. I've often thought the Deists just needed some fire, and the Second Great Awakening was such a chaotic event that one can imagine all sorts of different permutations coming out of it. I also like the reinforcing effect of that leavening of French revolutionaries who played with such ideas as the Religion of Reason and Deism reinforcing American ideas on it. Never fear, we shall return to the religious development of America, among other cultural facets, at some point further down the timeline.

IIRC, in our TL the 2ndGA was just as important in New England as it was in the South and West, with Boston really being the center of American Evangelical Protestantism. Missionary and Bible Societies sprung up all over New England and New York, with their primary mission being to evangelize the world. So I hope to see your Deist Movement take up the evangelism fervor that existed in OTL New England around the turn of the 19th century.

Yep, pretty much the same here.

I also want to see how the effects of a large and growing plantation aristocracy in the Southern colonies, than seems to be bouyed by the addition of plantation aristocracies throughout the Caribbean, will influence London in economic and political terms. With Sugar plantations throughout the Caribbean becoming a economic lifeblood for Britain and the soon to be King Cotton, adding to the wealth Britain will realize from its American possessions, I can really see a future where abolition efforts back in England are silenced in the name of profits. Hmm. This could be really interesting.

Yes, Britain is going to be getting even more cash from slave plantations, it's true. Time will tell how that weighs on things.

Glen

To contrast the rise of the Christian movements in the Second Great Awakening, who had views which could be described as "heretical", what about groups such as the Methodists?

Um, a lot of people would have called Methodism heretical back in the day.;)

If you think about it, a lot of the movements that came out of the Second Great Awakening would have been called heretical by previous standards. The ones that succeed get to define what is heretical, and other denominations will either have to learn to live with that (as happened somewhat IOTL) or actively oppose it.

Note that Methodism and the Baptists are more popular among free blacks in the US and slaves in the South as well as poor backcountry whites in both.

Or is your TL suggesting that kind of "new age thinking" Christianity is going to eventually dominate the USA, in a kind of proto-Arian reverse?

This is old age thinking!:D In any event, dominate is such a harsh word. Let us say, rather, they shall not disappear from mainstream religious discourse.

Glen

Hrrm...looking at your map, it looks like the Dutch lost Surinam somewhere along the way. Did they seize it from the Batavian Republic, or something? And if so, do they own all the other dutch islands now? Clearly, they're on their way to totally dominating the Caribbean, but if nothing else they still need to buy the Danish West Indies.

They are seized as per OTL, as are most of the Caribbean possessions of those who may provide an excuse to base or resupply a French squadron.

Time will tell how much they keep. We haven't finished the Napoleonic Wars yet.

Also, in 1803, French Louisiana north of New Orleans consisted of nothing but Saint Louis (which had around 300 people, IIRC), and a bunch of fur trappers, so seizing it would have been beyond simple for the Americans, even with the logistical issues.

Exactly. This is a short victorious war for the Americans, barely worth the name. What is more important is that the British bought them off so they're flank to boot the French out of the Caribbean, which in turn frees the Royal Navy up to be other places, and so on.....

Glen

Glen, DuQuense

Would it be more the case that Britain took control of the colonies. To secure the resources for the allied [i.e. British] war effort and deny French privateers any bases to operate from. OTL Britain returned most of its gains at the 1814-1815 peace treaties. This time it might be more awkward in the Caribbean as the islands will look very attractive to the DSA interests, to strength the position of slavery as well as make money.

Yes, spot on.

Also the earlier collapse of the Spanish mainland empire means there might be an interest in keeping the islands to deny Spain any bases from which to possibly try and retake its empire.

Right again, and not just the Spanish....

However even if only occupied for the duration, which I think is more than Britain did OTL, plus the greater support for the mainland revolutions is going to have some impact on Spain. Might be less support for Wellington's army if there's a campaign in Iberia.

Well, you are right that there is probably less support for the British, but the ones who want to throw out Joe Boneparte have precious little choice if they want some support during the Peninsular War. After is a different matter....

On the bright side for Spain it can probably avoid being distracted by fighting to regain the colonies after the war.

True! They can pay much more attention to killing each other in Iberia!:eek:

Britain is going to have some identity problems. Supporting independence movements in Latin America and freeing some slaves in Haiti while the abolition movement will be building up steam.

Which actually describes OTL Britain in the first half of the 19th century pretty well.:) Let's say we've not created a new trend but rather made it more compressed and poiniant.

However at the same time having the much greater planter bloc in parliament as the southern colonies combine with the interests in the islands, especially with more islands under British control.

Steve

Well, not exactly, as the Southern Colonies and Caribbean Islands have no direct representation. What they do have are influence and business partners who are!

Great timeline! I just have a few little questions: on the map you posted, it looks like British Louisiana is a separate colony to the Carolinas, Georgia and the Floridas? Just asking as there were a couple of posts speculating about the westward expansion of those colonies. Also, where does the Mexican flag come from?

Um, a lot of people would have called Methodism heretical back in the day.;)

mmm...perhaps. Mostly they were accused of being fanatics and attempting to create a controversy by whipping up a hype amongst the lower orders of the public. They never tried to redefine theology, they only sought to promote a lifestyle of extensive Bible study, except on smaller points such as the role of women in preaching. I say this as a Methodist myself ;) Indeed, the Wesleys never attempted to leave the Church of England, they merely (IIRC) had the split forced upon them when they started making unlicensed ordinations of ministers in the USA when the Church of England cut the colonies off directly after the ARW.

However, that really wasn't my point, debating semantics. My point was that I identified in your update a definite highlighting of the sects which sought to essentially redefine scripture - including arguing against or attempting to somewhat tenuously re-evaluate the meanings of a lot of scripture to fit their religious views. The comment made about God creating the world and then withdrawing all involvement in it to let destiny run its course seems to directly contradict most of the Old Testament, for example, while the idea that one's wealth directly correlates to their Godliness appears to oppose every Jesus taught about giving away all worldly wealth and living humbly. To the best of my knowledge, Methodism doesn't advocate any viewpoints nearly as controversial as these. Again, I wasn't trying to argue for or against this, I was merely wondering if you highlighted these just as some of the more extreme and interesting viewpoints to flavour your update, or if you were genuinely trying to suggest that in TTL, the Second Great Awakening, rather than a common Revival, was in fact the advent of the takeover of the Deist movement and other...radical redefinitions of Christianity, shall we say...in their path to becoming dominant in the USA.

Well, not exactly, as the Southern Colonies and Caribbean Islands have no direct representation. What they do have are influence and business partners who are!

Given the OTL state of Parliament, unreformed with a lot of rotten boroughs and plenty of ways to peddle influence, that can be a lot of power. Also, as the cotton industry develops there will be business interests who will want to avoid rocking the boat and disrupting business. Probably also concern, having lost half the colonies because of trying to influence them, there might be reluctance to upset them, at least while the planters are politically dominant in the dominion.

I would expect that pressure for abolition will development but will be hindered by the interests of the dominion and islands.

On the plus side the interests of the south and the manufacturers in Britain will be aligned and encourage co-operation. The US might go protectionist even earlier than OTL, although it may suffer as a result if it cuts itself off from European [especially British] products.

Steve