The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sandman

Banned
i like it i want to see how the cold war goes

Hot.

I expect that one trick the Germans are likely to pull is simply expelling all of the Jews into Allied territories. And any other minority that was marked for death in the OTL Holocaust, as here they have the luxury of doing so.

Well, they'll try at least. I would assume that the US and Britain will be just as unwilling to accept refugees ITTL as they were OTL, which means that the end results ITTL are the same. Except with even more moral culpability on the part of the West.

Sweden is likely to find itself in a very uncomfortable position shortly, given that the Germans will be able to pressure them without the Allies being able to interfere. Spain and Portugal are also likely to be receiving German pressure, although perhaps not as intense as that on Sweden simply because their geographic position isn't as hopeless. Switzerland will happily continue its OTL policy of getting rich by laundering Nazi plunder.

The Poles and Russians in German-held territory are likely to be mostly exterminated by the time the Germans lose to the US and Britain. Assuming that they actually lose, of course. Eastern Europe and European Russia are probably going to look like just after the Mongol Horde came through it, only worse because at least the Mongols usually stopped butchering you once you surrendered and started paying tribute.

And the Germans will of course be playing whatever games they can with fascist movements in the rest of the world. And probably shipping equipment to Japan via the Trans-Siberian; not because they actually care if Japan loses, but because it's a great way to test new gear and maybe get some combat experience with it that doesn't actually require much effort on the part of the Germans. I expect they'll also try to get as much Japanese naval talent as possible when Japan eventually loses, for similar practical reasons. Mainly on the design end, as the Germans lack that knowledge.

Speer will presumably have a grand old time with the rebuilding of Berlin. Anyone with actual taste in architecture, or the thousands of slaves who will inevitably be worked to death to build his imperial monstrosity, not so much.

@The Sandman;

Germania will most likely end up in Nurnberg. Berlin is the worst place to be building sth like that. It is bound to get into Speers head after Hitler retires (which will probably happen before the 1950.`s).

I just dobnt see why the British would waste forces trying to retake the channel islands, they never botherd in OTL for very good reasons.

Oh, Calbear, Jersey is TINY. A Para division would cover the place...!!!

With Stalingrad hapenning, surely the logical strategy would be to clear up Africa first (maybe moving up Torch), and if they want to move into Europe, Norway would actually be a much better option. The terrain is poor, but the allies have air and sea control, so they can land in the north and slowly work south, using air control to isolate the German forces. Slow, though. That way they force Germany to sent troops across an attackable sea lane rather than by land.

The remarkable amount and quality of the Lend-Lease materials

IOTL, lend lease as received by the soviets was practically useless, very low quality and unadapted to sovietic conditions. That according to a military expert those grandfather was in Stalin´s general staff.
Britain received lend-lease too, 230% higher to be exact, why didn´t they reach Berlin first?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
IOTL, lend lease as received by the soviets was practically useless, very low quality and unadapted to sovietic conditions. That according to a military expert those grandfather was in Stalin´s general staff.
Britain received lend-lease too, 230% higher to be exact, why didn´t they reach Berlin first?

The Soviet Army achieved most of its motorization via Studebaker trucks (by the end of the war two of three trucks used by the Red Army were U.S. or UK sourced).

There was between also just between October 1941 and June of 1942: explosives (29,500 tons) plus nearly half of the raw tolene needed for explosive production, primers, uniforms, boots, belts, rubber (both completed products and raw) copper (600,000 KILOMETERS of telephone cable alone), Field telephones (60,000) aluminium, steel, railroad rails, canned rations, machine tools, etc. Much more was sent in the second half of 1942 and first part of 1943.

That is quite the bounty. I will not get into the debate over the total impact of Lend-Lease on the Soviet war effort, but in the case of a country that was almost completely reliant on horse drawn transport for logistical support (as Nazi Germany was) 25-30 thousand trucks alone would be quite a haul.

Thanks for the feedback and the chance to address your position.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
ALL of the assault or raids by the Allies in their effort to divert the Germans from the Eastern Front were a waste of forces. The Allies knew they were a waste of forces, but they had to try something, anything, to help the Soviets.

I didn't even have them try one of the actual plans they had under consideration, a multi-division landing in Britteny to draw German forces into France with no available reserve or plan to maintain supplies (it was so stupid, I figured that I would get flamed for posting it).

Torch wasn't going to distract the Germans much since they had virtually no forces in French Africa ITTL, less than a brigade of Heer troops. (just enough to keep an eye on their Vichy "allies".)

Thanks for the feedback.

I just dobnt see why the British would waste forces trying to retake the channel islands, they never botherd in OTL for very good reasons.

Oh, Calbear, Jersey is TINY. A Para division would cover the place...!!!

With Stalingrad hapenning, surely the logical strategy would be to clear up Africa first (maybe moving up Torch), and if they want to move into Europe, Norway would actually be a much better option. The terrain is poor, but the allies have air and sea control, so they can land in the north and slowly work south, using air control to isolate the German forces. Slow, though. That way they force Germany to sent troops across an attackable sea lane rather than by land.

The Soviet Army achieved most of its motorization via Studebaker trucks (by the end of the war two of three trucks used by the Red Army were U.S. or UK sourced).

There was between also just between October 1941 and June of 1942: explosives (29,500 tons) plus nearly half of the raw tolene needed for explosive production, primers, uniforms, boots, belts, rubber (both completed products and raw) copper (600,000 KILOMETERS of telephone cable alone), Field telephones (60,000) aluminium, steel, railroad rails, canned rations, machine tools, etc. Much more was sent in the second half of 1942 and first part of 1943.

That is quite the bounty. I will not get into the debate over the total impact of Lend-Lease on the Soviet war effort, but in the case of a country that was almost completely reliant on horse drawn transport for logistical support (as Nazi Germany was) 25-30 thousand trucks alone would be quite a haul.

Thanks for the feedback and the chance to address your position.

Maybe a foolish question, but why would the Russians admit to having this stuff just so they can hand it over to the Germans...????
Russia is a big country, easy to hide stuff in it..

With this Russian collapse, the logical Allied strategy is the one you lay out (preventing further German expansion), though I think an attack on Norway might make sense.

You may not even need to butterfly away the nuclear program if the now-discouraged allies can be brought to agree to a peace in time. Perhaps something like a Norway success, following by an overconfident attack somewhere else in the continential periphery that gets bloodily smashed would be the impetus for a grudging peace, or at least a cessation of hostilities (maybe mediated by the Soviets!)

ALL of the assault or raids by the Allies in their effort to divert the Germans from the Eastern Front were a waste of forces. The Allies knew they were a waste of forces, but they had to try something, anything, to help the Soviets.
The Norwegian raids made Hitler redeploy a huge number of troops to Norway.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The Norwegian raids made Hitler redeploy a huge number of troops to Norway.

The Allies made raids where ever the could. Most were into France for logistical reasons. If you look at the actual Allied contingency plans in case of a Soviet near collapse, you will find that the overall strategy I describe is in line with them.

I am trying to stay as close to historic plans at this point as I can while still making this work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Calbear,

In this scenario, do you think an invasion of Norway would be on the table?

Churchill was heavily in favor of a Scandinavian campaign, and even a partially successful campaign would allow Sweden to more readily resist German demands and/or allow the Allies to interdict iron ore from Sweden (although, assuming German retained the Donets basin and developed it, would Swedish ore be necessary?).

Once the U-boat threat was defeated (as well as the IJN), it seems as if the USN/RN could redeploy massive carrier support into the North Sea (under the cover of fighter support from the UK), and utilize Marines to seize ports and airborne forces to seize airfields, and pump in forces. IIRC, the Germans had no more than 400,000 men in Norway circa 1944, most of which were not of high quality (especially including the equipment). I'm not saying this campaign would be easy, but I bet it would be both possible and measureably beneficial.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Calbear,

In this scenario, do you think an invasion of Norway would be on the table?

Churchill was heavily in favor of a Scandinavian campaign, and even a partially successful campaign would allow Sweden to more readily resist German demands and/or allow the Allies to interdict iron ore from Sweden (although, assuming German retained the Donets basin and developed it, would Swedish ore be necessary?).

Once the U-boat threat was defeated (as well as the IJN), it seems as if the USN/RN could redeploy massive carrier support into the North Sea (under the cover of fighter support from the UK), and utilize Marines to seize ports and airborne forces to seize airfields, and pump in forces. IIRC, the Germans had no more than 400,000 men in Norway circa 1944, most of which were not of high quality (especially including the equipment). I'm not saying this campaign would be easy, but I bet it would be both possible and measureably beneficial.

That is into the future. When/if I get to the actual "war" there a few different ways I may go. There a lot of possibilities, including Norway.

Thanks for the input.

Hope you are enjoying the T/L.

this is an interesting scenario. Even leaving out those German forces tied down in the occupation of Russia, the allies are facing a hell of a lot more enemy forces than they did in OTL. One wonders if the Germans wouldn't make more of an effort in the middle east/N. Africa... with Russia out of the way, they can transfer a lot more air forces to the Med theater, maybe make life a lot harder for the allies. Of course, they still have a big lack of naval capacity there...

Given the size of the German army, there are only 2 places worth going for. Sicily and Norway.
These allow the allied airpower to isolate them from German reinforcements (well, of any serious size), thus allowing a reasonable chance of success. Sicily might even make the Italians leave the war - maybe. A landing in Italy would be dangerous, to put it mildly, although its as difficult for Germany to attack down it as it was for the allies to attack up it...!! But Sicily woul aloow heavy air attacks on Italy, maybe enough to make them negotiate a peace.

The only other places worth an attack are Crete (again, can be isolated), however I assume Russian is being forced to spully Germany with oil (I'd assume that would be part of any peace agreement), so Ploesti isnt as vital.

WHile Greece would be interesting, Germany can reinforce faster.

I don't see why, given available Allied resources, BOTH Norway and Sicily couldn't be undertaken, along with an Aegean campaign (Crete/Aegean islands, not mainland Greece). Possibly also/instead Corsica and Sardinia? Losing Sardinia and Sicily might very well topple Il Duce.

I don't see why, given available Allied resources, BOTH Norway and Sicily couldn't be undertaken, along with an Aegean campaign (Crete/Aegean islands, not mainland Greece). Possibly also/instead Corsica and Sardinia? Losing Sardinia and Sicily might very well topple Il Duce.

Yes, but the Nazis have a lot more available resources too. Something like this makes sense for the Allied next moves when they feel they can go on the offensive, but Calbear apparently has something up his sleeve to postpone any serious warmaking until the 1950s.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Here is the next update.

As an aside, every one of the German policies mentioned are based in fact.

Comments very welcome

The Third Reich & the creation of Greater Germany

The goal of Nazi Germany in beginning the European Phase of the Second World War was to achieve, it claimed, living space and to unite all the German peoples into a single nation again. Both of these claims were, even at the time, viewed with more than some skepticism outside of the Reich’s borders. While there were legitimate issues involving the treatment of minorities in various European states (including German speakers in a number of nations), the extreme measures taken by Nazi Party officials, as early as 1933, indicate that the desire was far darker than that stated publicly. Reading of Hitler’s own published works make clear that a primary driver of the author, and later of his associates was an overt racism of both remarkable virulence and wide scope. While the Nazi Party had established even before gaining power via the Ballot Box that it was anti-Semitic this was far from unusual in 1930’s Europe where such prejudices were wide spread and surprisingly accepted across much of society. What were very different were the additional hatreds that were part of the Nazi manifesto, with groups ranging from Slavs to Asians to Roma (Gypsies) along with homosexuals, Communists, intellectuals, the handicapped, and followers of several religions all being marked as “different” and hence dangerous to the “Volk” (German for people, it was commonly used in place of citizen or residents in the Reich). These beliefs were to produce remarkable results during the acquisition phase of the Reich’s attacks across the European continent and in the following years.

An additional element nearly unique to the Reich was that Party ideology, rather than economic or even military considerations, controlled policy making on what quickly became a continental scale. Many studies have been made of the economic damage Nazi racial policies caused to Greater Germany, and they are well beyond the scope of this work, however, it would be remiss to not provide an overview of the Nazi policies and activities since they had such a dramatic impact on the eventual outcome of the conflict between the West and Germany.

Well before the invasion of the Soviet Union, the Reich had begun to clear Germany, followed by Austria and Czechoslovakia, of Jews and other undesirables. Initially there appears to have been some question of exactly where the displaced Jews were to be sent with numerous schemes considered (including a rather bizarre study conducted following the defeat and occupation of France involving movement all the Jews in Europe, along with certain other undesirables, to the island of Madagascar), but with the occupation of much of Poland, with its substantial native Jewish population, it seems that all half measures were considered to be insufficient. This resulted in the infamous “Final Solution” to the Jewish Problem.

A plan to do nothing less than murder every Jew in Europe (presumably as a first step in ridding the entire Planet of them), the Final Solution was a plan of unprecedented scope, involving the extermination of some eleven million people. That even this number was to eventually become just the tip of the exterminations conducted by the Nazis speaks to the power of both Hitler himself and the dedication of his subordinates. Headed by Heinrich Himmler, the head of the Nazi Party Internal Security forces, the exterminations of such a massive number of persons became a ghastly testament to the power of the industrialized state. After several false starts involving firing squads, trucks designed to vent exhaust gases into a passenger compartment filled with victims, and simply forcing victims off of cliffs or from bridges of acceptable height, all of which proved to be inadequate given the number of deaths required, Himmler’s SS department (a force of troops with unique uniforms who made a special, personal, pledge to Hitler who were outside of the Wehrmacht’s command structure) came up with the concept of extermination camps. These camps designed to kill and “process” as many 115,000 people per month were established mainly in the conquered eastern regions of Europe, in the region known to the Reich as the General Government (formerly central Poland). The camps were operated as a combination of simple murder sites and slave labor camps where products, many but not all, meant for use by the military were produced. Inmates of the camps were also used to much of work within the camps, build roads and rail lines, and even construct more camps. These tasks were all done under starvation conditions until an inmate was too weak to work at which point the were murdered (a common method of determining if an inmate could still perform labor tasks was to punch them in the face, those who did not fall over, or were able to regain their feet, were deemed capable of continued labor). Had the Nazi government simply committed these acts, it would have been as evil a regime as has ever existed. Of course, the Reich went far beyond even this level of effort.

With the defeat of the USSR, Germany found itself with million of new subjects, many of which the Party preached as being less than fully human. While there was a need for many of these new subjects as workers, there were far too many to keep around simply laboring for the glory of Greater Germany. Other actions would be needed. Himmler found the most popular answers in the practices of “re-Germanization” and the self descriptive “extermination through labor”.

Re-Germanization was a practice built on the demented racial views of the Nazi Party elite of “The Aryan Ideal”. In its most simple form, this meant a native born German without physical defect, however, as the war continued this view was gradually expanded, first to German speakers born outside the Reich to “good German stock” and then to individuals and families with Blond hair and/or blue eyes. Individuals were offered the opportunity to become “honorary Germans” who would eventually become fully accepted members of the Reich Volk or if very young, were simply stripped away from the families and sent to German to be raised by Party families (this was especially common with very young infants whose parents had the misfortune to not look German enough to be offered a place in Greater Germany). Individuals who turned down this offer were frequently selected for extermination through labor, where they joined a long list of undesirables including Polish and Soviet PoWs, Roma, Slavs, and especially Communists and other political prisoners. The extermination through labor policy was so effective that SS forces effectively emptied most of the non-critical urban population of the conquered eastern regions through the practice (rural populations were, after a few false starts, mainly left alive to produce food for the Reich). These forced laborers were the engine that built up the famed Atlantic Wall to its eventual fortification depth of 10 kilometers along the French Channel Coast and to narrower, but still impressive size along the rest of the occupied territories. The human toll of completing these defenses is still a subject of considerable debate, mainly centered on the exact definition of direct casualty of the construction, but is generally agreed to exceed thirteen million in France alone.

Remarkably, the Reich was so confident of its re-Germanization policy that the probationary members of the Volk were soon given jobs in even the most sensitive portions of the Reich’s production facilities where they often encountered other foreign workers who have nearly as little reason to love Germany as the dispossessed Germans to be. The Party was foolishly overconfident that its secret police, especially the dreaded Gestapo, would be able to maintain order and security in every case.

Of course this level of construction would have been impossible had it not been for the tribute (or reparations as the Reich described it) that Germany extracted on a daily basis from the Molotov Government. This tribute, initially filled by stripping the Soviet Union of machine tools, raw materials supplied by the Allies under Lend Lease, and eventually entire factories (Goring is on record as having said “well, if they could move them behind the Urals, the can surely move them back” when an aide questions the ability of the Molotov government to supply sufficient machine tools to fill its quotas) and later supplied from the immense mineral wealth of the Siberian Steppe and the labor of millions of Russians. When combined with the “contributions” from Axis allies like Vichy France, Denmark, Norway, Croatia, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Italy, and materials purchased from the few unconquered European states sufficient material was accumulated to construct the Atlantic Wall, and still be able to maintain the German military machine. The steady stream of materials coming out of Siberia, along with the availability of almost no-cost labor also encouraged German planners to build many of the Reich’s new factories in what had once been the Ukraine despite the ongoing low level partisan war that was an ever present fact in the territories that had once been part of the USSR.

With the addition of Belgian, French, Danish, Dutch, and Ukrainian shipyards the Reich was also able to begin a serious naval building program with the goal of being able to meet and defeat any Western invasion fleet. While many of Hitler’s advisors suggested that it was impossible to catch up to the Royal Navy, much less the USN, Hitler was set in his vision of a Kreigsmarine equal to anything the West could produce.

The re-organization of the Greater German military and its allies

Last edited:
Interesting!

The relevant passages here seem to be the ones regarding a German naval buildup.

Which creates an interesting question. What type of navy is being created?

If it's a battleship navy, it will be defeated in very short order. Same if it's an expanding U-boat fleet, but I seriously doubt that's where you're going. If it's a carrier-based fleet, can the Third Reich create a)enough hulls, b)a viable carrier air group, c)viable carrier doctrine, and d)a viable intercontinental fleet logistic system, that would be necessary to defeat the USN?

I know you know your USN, I'm just very interested to see how you can maneuver the Kriegsmarine to a position in which they can be competitive in the Atlantic.

Based on your Pacific War TL, consider me hooked! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.