Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get around to finishing this in time for the MoF 03. Its still not complete, there would be some more info or flags in the empty spot. Rather the focus on one area of the world, say Europe or North America, I chose to focus on the three wanked nations specifed by the challenge.

It could be better. I haven't put any texturing on, and as I said above, there is the empty space.

Thoughts?

A shame that you couldn't finish the map in time. It looks already good and it will be look very good once if you complete it - I'm quite sure about this :).

I made some changes on the map: black strokes on the red text, adding dates of colonization/conquest to provinces, some islands etc.
Click on map for larger view.

The series continues with 1944.

Soviet Wank 1944.PNG

Thande

Donor
I didn't get around to finishing this in time for the MoF 03. Its still not complete, there would be some more info or flags in the empty spot. Rather the focus on one area of the world, say Europe or North America, I chose to focus on the three wanked nations specifed by the challenge.

It could be better. I haven't put any texturing on, and as I said above, there is the empty space.

Thoughts?

The style is good, but what really impresses me is the fairly original concepts. Some of the American nations seem on the edge of plausibility for a Napoleonic POD to my mind, but they do not fall off the edge. Nice work.

Susano

Banned
I agree, the map is really good Scarecrow! Napoleonic Bavaria remaining (and even expanding!) is something one doesnt often see, even though it would make for an interesting scenario.

Oh, but you eh, misspelled Berg on the map as Burg (castle) ;)

I made some changes on the map: black strokes on the red text, adding dates of colonization/conquest to provinces, some islands etc.

It's awesome, but also kinda confusing how all the text is angled differently.

Still awesome though :cool:

NNobody has ever produced an example of his doing this. Sure, the whole point of his planned timeline is more succesful Ottomans, but the PoD is a plausible and fascinating one. Where he has ever just proclaimed that Turkey can go anywhere and do anything, rather than correcting the enormous misconceptions which are drille dinto us in the west. Are you suggesting that greek Constantinople is "the more likley outcome"?

Jog on.

Erm, no I don't think I said that. Nowhere did I say that it was to be the most likley outcome. What I said is that he allowed his national pride to exagerate the figures, ergo a wank.

Jog, jog and just keep on jogging.

Russell

Erm, no I don't think I said that. Nowhere did I say that it was to be the most likley outcome. What I said is that he allowed his national pride to exagerate the figures, ergo a wank.

Russell

Hey, calm it. You were accusing AHP of being "inclined to Turcowank". I pointed out that this is wrong on two counts, but it's all rather silly. Maybe he got twelve and twenty mixed up? There very similar numbers. Why must we ascribe it to exaggerated national pride, since it doesn't make any difference whether we're talking about 15 or 20 millions? So: Occam's razor; I see no Turcowank anywhere; cool it.

Everyone gets a bit precious about something here. That's allowed, isn't it? Good design, their own nationality, someone else's nationality, history, religion, their pet ideology, in-jokes, whatever. Everyone does it.

Pasha's problem is, in all occassions, is people tend to pound Ottoman Empire and Turkey unproperly, that is they usually don't care that they use the right time frame for that, uncaring that it would be actually possible technically to do that.

If say, one is to use the PoD around Napoleonic era, 1820s, or during 1877-78, when there were actually possible chances to eradicate the Empire if hard-pressed during those times, then you will see he's fine with it. But people tend to behave like Ottoman Empire existed just to be pwnd, and that's a problem !!

Last edited:

Russell

AHP is not a Turcowanker. If anything he is a traumatized paranoid-ish.

If say, one is to use the PoD around Napoleonic era, 1820s, or during 1877-78, when there were actually possible chances to eradicate the Empire if hard-pressed during those times, then you will see he's fine with it. But people tend to behave like Ottoman Empire existed just to be pwnd, and that's a problem !!

This is a real problem. When I wa syounger I was already more familiar with history than most of my peers, and I had got it completely stuck in my heafd that the Ottomans would get owned to bits if ever faced with a "European" army... misconceptions have become so widespread that reputable authors in differant fields parrot them off-handly without thinking, and it often comes as a sharp shock when one actually reads a proper books about the period.

Hey, calm it. You were accusing AHP of being "inclined to Turcowank". I pointed out that this is wrong on two counts, but it's all rather silly. Maybe he got twelve and twenty mixed up? There very similar numbers. Why must we ascribe it to exaggerated national pride, since it doesn't make any difference whether we're talking about 15 or 20 millions? So: Occam's razor; I see no Turcowank anywhere; cool it.

Appologies mate

1. No it is not - the population of Istanbul according to 2008 census is 12,697,164 and the total population of all of European turkey (Edirne, Kirkalareli, Tekirdag and Istanbul provinces) comes to 14,114,333. Nearly twenty million? Jog on son, you need to go back to school and learn to add.

2. Erm, no it is not. Including all branches of the Turkish military (not just the "army") - Army, Airfoce and Navy, reserves and paramilitaries - the combined total comes to 1,043,550 and Greeces population 11,259,285... erm yea. Granted Turkey has a very large army but bigger than that of the entire greek population? You really didn't excell in maths at school.

While I can understand your patriotic urges to stand up for your own country, the fact that you Turkowank even the bare reality of our own TL as it stands today destroys much of the credence to your argument.

And yes, I do agree with Hapsburg that you Mr Abdul Hadi Pasha are strongly inclined towards the Turkowank side of things, reguardless of the most likley outcome.

Russell

What the hell is your problem?

1. Istanbul is full of recent immigrants from the countryside and the count is not considered reliable. Even disregarding that, it's an urban area with population outside the city limits. I also contains enormous numbers of transient residents not included in the census. Finally, half the population of the city is in Asia. You obviously didn't excel in geography in school.

2. I said "fully mobilized". You obviously didn't excess at reading comprehension at school. Turkey has universal conscription.

If you'd care to point to any Turco-wanking, please do. If you think a country of 11 million is going to defeat a country of 75 million in a war, you're entitled to your opinion, idiotic as it might be, but that still doesn't make betting on the country that's seven times larger "wanking". I suppose you think Belgium could conquer Paris, too. You obviously didn't excel at logic in school.

Everyone gets a bit precious about something here. That's allowed, isn't it? Good design, their own nationality, someone else's nationality, history, religion, their pet ideology, in-jokes, whatever. Everyone does it.

People dismember the Ottoman Empire and Turkey in 99% of TLs. My issue is only when it's gratuitous or totally illogical. If I objected to every case, I wouldn't have time for anything else.

That map is so full of win it is a wonder that adjacent maps do not spontaneously develop better graphics and effects. Conratulations!

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.