TL-191: After the End

what are the political systems of the ottoman empire and the brazilian empire are they traditional monarchies or constitutional monarchies and what about the other members of they IM also given that you have the TPU and the talks of the portuguese president is it possibly that in this TL former colonies in africa won't collapse into poverty and dictatorship :eek:

Last edited:
"Banzai for the Emperor! BANZAI!!!!"

--Japanese Kamikazenaut, shortly before smashing American-German Space Station in planned collision.

Oy Vey......

Even I have doubts they would do that.
I imagine Japan would have a scorched space Policy.
They send up a decent sized satlite/station, If things over the Space race go bad for them, they detonate it.

In all seriousness, they'd have to be at war with the US for that to happen I think. Clearly the US would outweigh them in power projection in space so yeah... if anyone happens to be up there when the bubble goes up, that very well could cross the fellow's mind.

Is there any chance of the US taking scientists from the Japanese space program and putting them to work in the USAIA or will the Japanese space program be destroyed completely during the Pacific War with nobody surviving?

Is there any chance of the US taking scientists from the Japanese space program and putting them to work in the USAIA or will the Japanese space program be destroyed completely during the Pacific War with nobody surviving?

You'll see. I will say that Japan will be sending men into space in the decades after the war ends...

So absorbing Canada and two Mexican provinces has kept it the same. I guess it makes sense the loss of life in the two World Wars was much higher then America experienced in OTL

True...not to mention the 6-10 million lives lost in the former Confederacy's Black Holocaust...

True...not to mention the 6-10 million lives lost in the former Confederacy's Black Holocaust...

And the fact that the post-war baby boom is to some extent reduced, if not eliminated, due to the fact that there is widespread need to rebuild (causing lack of prosperity), many men who would have sired offspring dead, and, in the South, a lot of them aren't in a very celebratory mood.

TTL's American population numbers have also been affected by the large numbers of immigrants that have been accepted into the country since the 1950s (from Eastern, Central, and Southern Europe, from China, from Mexico, ect.)

So how was the book of mormon changed? in OTL the book of Mormon is anti-violance?

No. Well, uh, it depends on who you talk to. One of the hero groups of the Book of Mormon is a group of converts who take an oath never to shed blood any more and who get slaughtered in droves. Another hero group is their kids, who didn't take the oath and go fight like crazy. So like a lot of religious books, you can find evidence for different viewpoints in it. Its not a list of simple rules.

what are the political systems of the ottoman empire and the brazilian empire are they traditional monarchies or constitutional monarchies and what about the other members of they IM also given that you have the TPU and the talks of the portuguese president is it possibly that in this TL former colonies in africa won't collapse into poverty and dictatorship :eek:

Hm...I don't know much about the Brazilian Empire, but I'm pretty sure the Ottoman Empire had taken steps in OTL (and by how the OE behaves in this TL succeeded in TTL) to become more constitutional and parliamentary (i.e. Tanzimat). Come to think of it I recall that the Brazilians had a liberal constitution at its inception and I have no doubt it would have reformed to a sort of constitutional monarchy by the 60's.

It seems Africa will have somewhat better luck in TTL by 2000 , especially if Germany does what it's doing in Tanganika to all it's other colonies...

Tom Kalbfus

Banned
In all seriousness, they'd have to be at war with the US for that to happen I think. Clearly the US would outweigh them in power projection in space so yeah... if anyone happens to be up there when the bubble goes up, that very well could cross the fellow's mind.
Japan is more vulnerable in the event of a nuclear war. With a few thermonuclear weapons, it is possible to wipe out all of Japans major population centers. Japan is an island after all, they can do serious damage to the United States, but the United States is spread out over a much larger area. Most of Japan's land area is its Empire surrounding it, take out the Japanese home islands and its peripheral Empire will break apart, as they don't want to be in that Empire. If the United States were to lose a few cities, it would probably go on as a country or two. I think the former Confederates would not be happy with the Japanese nuking their cities either, and they'll want revenge, so in a limited nuclear exchange in the early 1960s, the United States wins by default although it takes much damage from this, the Japanese would be very unwise to get in a nuclear war with the United States, the US for its part would be unwise to start one as well, because even though it would win, it would receive so much damage as to be not worth the cost of its victory over Japan.

So I think the relations between the Japanese Empire would be "correct" that is they may be icy or strained, but both sides would be well aware that a full scale nuclear war would not be in their interests, that said the Japanese have no ideological reasons to have bad relations with the United States - they can't sell Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishis, and other Japanese products to the United States if they have bad relations with them and the US embargos their trade. The Japanese Car companies would be very unhappy with this situation as they want to sell cars. Purely in the interests of exporting their cars and products, the Japanese will want improved relations with the United States.

Japan is at a crossroads in the 1960s, they have to weigh what their Empire is costing them in lost export revenues to the United States versus what they can gain by continuing to plunder the subject people's under their control. The US President can say this, "You want to sell Japanese cars in the United States? Fine, but first you have to stop chopping heads and raping women in China, we'd like to see human rights more respected in the areas you control." Modernization, and economic growth of an export driven economy contradict having an Empire based on forced labor and economic exploitation, the areas they control are basically Third World, with not much wealth to be extracted excepting natural resources, or they can export cars and electronics with improved relations with the United States - their choice.

David bar Elias i'd just like to say I greatly admire your work, and have been following your threads since the beginning. keep up the good work. :)

I see no good reason for the space race to be running seven years later than on OTL. Given that at very least Confed rocket technology was similar to that in our WW2, there is no technological reason for Germany and USA not to build ICBMs by the late 50s. In fact with the loose cannon of Imperial Japan still out there and with no close air bases for bombers an ICBM programme makes absolute sense, and if you have an ICBM you are close to putting to putting a satellite into space.

On the numbers in the space race, no one claims that it was three way on OTL in spite of there being a British programme. Therefore in TL191 I would expect Germany in the form of a slightly accelerated US programme, the USA in the form of a Soviet plus and Japan in a Soviet minus. Anybody else is going to be so far behind that they don't count.