Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

It's not like Goerge II is personally leading the government army. The rebellion probably ends like OTL and now the ministers and Frederick have to sort it out.

VVD0D95

Banned
It's not like Goerge II is personally leading the government army. The rebellion probably ends like OTL and now the ministers and Frederick have to sort it out.
Depends on whether or not Charles lands with guns and men as he almost did otl. If he does thennnore clans are going to turn out for him. Add in the tensions between the government and Fred and you’ve got a whole knew jettle of fish

If a prince were to be sent to Italy in 1548 to be educated, would he learn more of absolutism or parliamentarianism?

If a prince were to be sent to Italy in 1548 to be educated, would he learn more of absolutism or parliamentarianism?
Absolutism I'd say, this is the era of Italian princes like the Medicis perfecting the art of machiavellianism and turning the 'republic' of Florence into a full-fledged monarchy. Many historians argue that Italy in this era is a microcosm of what would happen in western europe politically over the next hundred or so years. It depends on exactly where in Italy this prince travels though.

If North America, at least a large part of it, had remained French, don't you think North America ITTL would look like South America IOTL? A set of small republics, French-speaking this time, but sometimes composed of small dictatorships which would dispute some territories? Like South America IOTL....

If North America, at least a large part of it, had remained French, don't you think North America ITTL would look like South America IOTL? A set of small republics, French-speaking this time, but sometimes composed of small dictatorships which would dispute some territories? Like South America IOTL....
Depends, I doubt they would be as many republics due to French America's lower population. The other thing is that how does North America remain French? that could easily change how time unfurls and republics may not be as common a government type as in OTL.

Absolutism I'd say, this is the era of Italian princes like the Medicis perfecting the art of machiavellianism and turning the 'republic' of Florence into a full-fledged monarchy. Many historians argue that Italy in this era is a microcosm of what would happen in western europe politically over the next hundred or so years. It depends on exactly where in Italy this prince travels though.
Specifically it's Bari, I'm making a TL where Bona Sforza has another son and he initially is to inherit the Duchy.

More of an unusual one now: ‘Mercantile Russia’.

Avoiding Communism would make a good start, though I’d say we need a POD that takes effect centuries earlier to “bake” a spirit of trade and commerce into the Russian psyche and culture in its formative years.

Maybe in the South where the plantation economy combined with the legacy of French absolutism would naturally foster dictatorships, but outside of that the French had too much literacy and the economic model is one that favors smaller producers instead of big plantation or mine owners so they'd look more like Quebec.

VVD0D95

Banned
Two questions.

How could one prevent the seven years war breaking out?

2. What if Khusrau Khan remained Sultan of Delhi?

Bytor

Monthly Donor
More of an unusual one now: ‘Mercantile Russia’.

Avoiding Communism would make a good start, though I’d say we need a POD that takes effect centuries earlier to “bake” a spirit of trade and commerce into the Russian psyche and culture in its formative years.
A re you intending that this some how replace the xenophobia that got "baked" into the Russian psyche from Mongol invasion? (And reinforced by Napoleon.)

A re you intending that this some how replace the xenophobia that got "baked" into the Russian psyche from Mongol invasion? (And reinforced by Napoleon.)

Didn’t really think of it that way, but if you think it’s possible, then go right ahead.

Had some discussions about it on another site, and the best POD I’ve come across does indeed start with no Mongols, with the subsequent setup casting Galicia-Volhynia as the successor to Kievan Rus (sacked 80 years before the Mongols came along, even IOTL). Despite that, the lack of Mongol invasions allows Rus as whole to survive, with Galicia-Volhynia linking up trade networks with its neighbors. In time, it’s overtaken by Kiev, now the fledgling leader of ”Rus”, which styles itself as a vaguely “HRE meets the Hanseatic League!”-style confederation of trade cities controlling the main rivers and canals between them.

(Muscovite rule and Boyar authoritarianism is butterflied, too, so there’s that.)

Decent-sounding POD, I think, though as far as my additions go: It’d be a the mother of all ironies if ATL equivalents of Classical Liberalism and free-market economics emerged in Rus instead of Great Britain. Bonus points if Rus somehow became an “Eastern America”, both in the sense of wild frontier-land on the periphery where the locals have a spirit of mercantile ventures and rugged individualism and in the sense of an emerging superpower that sweeps aside its Old World rivals. Probably a stretch to have Rus survive that long, but still a fun thought all the same.