WIP Map Thread

Big Polish commonwealth
I do feel like a world in which a successful Commonwealth is both massive and in a personal union with Saxony, it would be a world in which the Saxon part of the state would probably quickly seek separation, just by being outshined by its non-German parts of the union... So the one example I have in there already, which is the one on the top right, will have to be the sole one.

Saxons migrate elsewhere / former Saxon colony or Saxony in exile

Neo-Doggerland?
(which could be maybe more like Netherland

What about a pagan Saxony under a more successful Widukind? Assuming that's not one of the scenarios you already have.
These three, all while being cool concepts, are too focused on the historic early medieval Saxons, and not the area that became known as Saxony as a result of title migration... In fact, to reveal a theme, I wanted to have six of the nine variants of Saxony to be ones that emerged after the transfer of the title of "Duke of Saxony" to the Askanier dynasty, which marked the migration of the title south to the location of the current Free State of Saxony away from the modern state of Lower Saxony.
Barely any actual Saxons from modern Saxony, I'm afraid, though of course they're very fascinating in their own right!
Saxony-Bohemia?
Basically already present in the top middle, at least kinda?

Another two maps
1. A different WWI
2023_05_10_0f8_Kleki.png

2. An alien invasion of the world of Borkingham
2023_05_10_0fe_Kleki.png

View attachment 830216

Working on a map thing for the first time this year!

But let me tell you, (Upper) Saxony has not been easy on me... Still lacking a cool ninth option!

I don't know if any of the ones you included might be like that but an option could be Thuringia (Ernestine branch of the Wettins) keeps the electoral title (winning the Schmalkaldic War?) and the Albertine branch remains a duchy/splinters like Thuringia did OTL?

Also, iirc, Prussia had originally wanted to annex all of Saxony after the Napoleonic Wars (Wettins were to be given Rhineland in exchange?) Prussian province of Saxony could be an option distinct from the Kingdom/Free State/Land that was the historical Saxony.

WIP map of a mid-19th century where Mughal India survived and is now in the position that China was in IOTL, with China in the role of Russia and Burma in the role of Japan.

wCBT6lW.png
If China is TTL Russia, how does Russia position change?
And Japan stay isolationist or is sphere of influence of some European power?

2v1ynno.png

Among my many other WIPs, I decided to restart the Serbia map that got corrupted.
The text is weird because I'm not putting it in the Miroslav font until the end (since I worry my copy of the font may have problems that caused the corruption of the file).

Crusader Egypt.png

Does anyone have advice on how to make the borders of *Canada and *USA less convergent without making major changes to the North American map?

Does anyone have advice on how to make the borders of *Canada and *USA less convergent without making major changes to the North American map?
watersheds are always a good resource, the Columbia river is a pretty good border too. or giving the US a bit more land north of washington, about to the island of Vancouver is good

Update on the map which my earlier Inca post is part of.

nNQGV0p.png

POD: 1200ish

Important changes from OTL:
+ King John loses less territory in France than IOTL. Aquitaine remains under Plantagenet control for two more centuries, resulting in a more Gallicized England. In the 1490s, Aquitaine is finally lost to the French.​
+ In the Andes, the kingdom of Qosqo begins expanding. By 1400, they control almost the entire Andes and are expanding west into the Argentine steppe.​
+ The Luxembourg dynasty remains the top dog in the HRE.​

Not yet shown:
+ In the 1270s, the city-state of Xochimilco starts unifying the valley of Mexico under their banner. Their religion is a variant of Mesoamerican polytheism which places Xipe Totec as the highest god.​
+ There is no Genghis Khan. The dynasty that succeeds the Song manages to defeat the Jin and retake the north. However, their main focus is maritime trade and dominating the lucrative spice islands to the south.​
+ Without the Mongol conquest of Rus, Lithuania doesn't blob out and Polish expansion eastward is halted by a still-strong Orthodox kingdom of Volhynia.​
+ The Delhi Sultanate does not form. Instead, a native Hindu empire arises in northern India. Without Muslim dominance in Bengal, the area becomes solidly Buddhist.​
Can't see the map

dVQluQZ.png

It continues. Subdivisions done, time for cities, then insets. Correcting spelling errors when I put it all in Miroslav font will be a pain in the ass

It seems I can't see any image hosted on imgur, either here or in the imgur website. A shame but oh well imgur sucks anyway.

Oh cool, I am not the only one having the same issue.

I can see them with a VPN on, so probably a regional thing (VPNs are not against the rules afaik. Just that committing a non-ban worthy offense with a VPN on results in a Ban)

watersheds are always a good resource, the Columbia river is a pretty good border too. or giving the US a bit more land north of washington, about to the island of Vancouver is good
As a Canadian I’m kinda biased, but as it is, Vancouver (the city) is pretty much the only piece of useful mainland coast on the west. I could see pushing the border up to the Fraser, but any further and shipping/travel will have to take some very inconvenient detours.

Serbia continues. The city icons are taken from another map of mine that uses the same base, so some of them need to be adjusted as ITTL different cities have different levels of importance, that has yet to be done.

image.png

Mongol Egypt.png

This would be one of the ones where I'm struggling to finish the writeup.

Crusader Egypt.png

Some progress on this at least
Crusader Egypt.png
Salamis.png

Honestly, I think I'm going to give up on trying to make this into a single map, it's just becoming too unwieldy. I'm not abandoning it though, I'm just going to break it into a series of smaller writeups and maps.

Last edited:
A very, very WIP map of Kitchen Sink TL. Basically a kitchen sink of all the somewhat obscure early-mid 19th century PODs I like experimenting with, mashed into one TL. Africa will certainly look very different by the end, and there will be a Big Mexico (TM) in the west.

dfx3zn5-57171690-4f2e-4f22-b351-3fb44648f38c.png

btw, if you have an interesting POD you like experimenting with, please mention it. I might want to add it in, and I'll credit you for the idea.
What PODs have you used so far?

1805: Golovkin Embassy succeeds.
1814: Denmark-Norway stays together.
1815: Netherlands get Luxembourg in addition to Belgium at the Congress of Vienna.

1822: Iturbide's Mexican Empire survives and stabilizes.
1820s: the Peruvian royalist forces defeat the revolutionaries on land, and Peru remains a Spanish colony.
1820s: Gran Colombia is more stable and is able to suppress the Venezuelan and Ecuadorian secessionists.
1828: the Portuguese Civil War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Miguelists are supported by France and Russia.
1830: no Polish rebellion (yet), so the French and Belgian revolutions are put down with Russian aid, like in 1848 Hungary IOTL.
1833: the First Carlist War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Carlists are supported by France and Russia.
1848: Polish rebellion happens now, so Russia can't help the Austrians defeat Hungary.

There are some more I forgot to mention, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.
That already sounds pretty interesting! This is a bit later in the 19th century, but one possible POD that I think could be interesting is that while touring the world in 1881, King Kalakaua of Hawaii proposed a royal marriage and alliance with Japan under Meiji. From Wikipedia:
Concern over a possible United States seizure of the Hawaiian Islands motivated Kalākaua to hold a secret meeting with the Emperor to bring Hawaii under the protective aegis of the Japanese empire. He proposed to unite the two nations with an arranged marriage between his 5-year-old niece Princess Kaʻiulani and 13-year-old Prince Yamashina Sadamaro. Historian Ralph Kuykendall said the proposal was rejected both by Sadamaro, upon advice of his father, and by the government of Japan. The Hawaiian king also recommended that Emperor Meiji create a "Union and Federation of the Asiatic nations and sovereigns" with Japan as its head, although the Emperor politely declined this idea at a later date.
What sort of regime is France under at this point? You mentioned the 1830 revolution being put down, but is France still under the Bourbon Restoration or have the Orleanists, Bonapartes, or Republicans been able to overthrow them?

You mentioned that Gran Colombia defeated the Ecuadorian secessionists, but it looks like Ecuador is still part of royalist Peru. Was this a later development or simply a mistake?

1805: Golovkin Embassy succeeds.
1814: Denmark-Norway stays together.
1815: Netherlands get Luxembourg in addition to Belgium at the Congress of Vienna.

1822: Iturbide's Mexican Empire survives and stabilizes.
1820s: the Peruvian royalist forces defeat the revolutionaries on land, and Peru remains a Spanish colony.
1820s: Gran Colombia is more stable and is able to suppress the Venezuelan and Ecuadorian secessionists.
1828: the Portuguese Civil War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Miguelists are supported by France and Russia.
1830: no Polish rebellion (yet), so the French and Belgian revolutions are put down with Russian aid, like in 1848 Hungary IOTL.
1833: the First Carlist War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Carlists are supported by France and Russia.
1848: Polish rebellion happens now, so Russia can't help the Austrians defeat Hungary.

There are some more I forgot to mention, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.
i personally disagree the Russians would've been able to put down the French revolution in 1830 for a simple reason.
It's known as the Trois Glorieuses. Three days of revolution, and that was it.
After that, they put in place a new King. The constitution was a tiny bit more liberal, but France didn't change its outlook on a grand scale at all.
The Russians have no reason to get involved.
Belgium, though, is a different matter.