For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

So I’m inching into S3. I really hate the Gordo Jr plot but I did call it almost immediately after he aged up. Replacement Aelita is quite a bit better. Margo is foolish. Now, I’ve been with a non-AH type fan so I’ve been trying to call out changes as I see them. Let me know if I’m wrong on these:

OTL presidents till 1972
Ted Kennedy 1972-1976
Reagan 1976-1984
Gary Hart(?) 1984-1992
1992 start of S3

Other big things I noticed were earlier computers (“d-mail”), no Chappaquiddick, and Margaret That her assassinated by the IRA.

So I’m inching into S3. I really hate the Gordo Jr plot but I did call it almost immediately after he aged up. Replacement Aelita is quite a bit better. Margo is foolish. Now, I’ve been with a non-AH type fan so I’ve been trying to call out changes as I see them. Let me know if I’m wrong on these:

OTL presidents till 1972
Ted Kennedy 1972-1976
Reagan 1976-1984
Gary Hart(?) 1984-1992
1992 start of S3

Other big things I noticed were earlier computers (“d-mail”), no Chappaquiddick, and Margaret That her assassinated by the IRA.
Honestly the Gordo Junior Subplot, along with the pointless “Three-way race to Mars”, was the biggest reason I stopped watching. Of the seasons, I’d still say Season 1 was the best, though Season 2 also had some good stuff in it.

Honestly the Gordo Junior Subplot, along with the pointless “Three-way race to Mars”, was the biggest reason I stopped watching. Of the seasons, I’d still say Season 1 was the best, though Season 2 also had some good stuff in it.
I actually watch more for the future tech and space colonization development than for the drama

I actually watch more for the future tech and space colonization development than for the drama
Ditto, though I will admit that some of the drama is good, but that's more on the actors selling it than the plot in a vacuum working if that makes any sense.

Still looking forward to season 4 but I'm hoping it stops there. The greatest strength a show like this could have is knowing when to stop.

Ditto, though I will admit that some of the drama is good, but that's more on the actors selling it than the plot in a vacuum working if that makes any sense.

Still looking forward to season 4 but I'm hoping it stops there. The greatest strength a show like this could have is knowing when to stop.
Didn't they already plan the whole seasons already? I remember Moore had planned up to Season 7 in advance.

I don't mind the three way race. That said they haven't really started yet given the episode I'm on (ep 2 of s3). However I think it's a bit of a correction of an earlier mistake in not showing the Soviet program. It's harder to make a race interesting when you don't allow a sympathetic perspective from the other side. The introduction of Helios lets us have characters on opposing sides of a race, while the Soviets still remain enigmas.

I don't mind the three way race. That said they haven't really started yet given the episode I'm on (ep 2 of s3). However I think it's a bit of a correction of an earlier mistake in not showing the Soviet program. It's harder to make a race interesting when you don't allow a sympathetic perspective from the other side. The introduction of Helios lets us have characters on opposing sides of a race, while the Soviets still remain enigmas.
I have to agree there- I do wish we got more from the Soviet perspective. It is something i'm hoping we'll see in the next season. The 3 way race while somewhat silly- history is littered with ridiculous competitions such that this is still rather believable.

I likewise like some of the drama, dislike some of the drama and really like the alt history and future tech. I'm still very much signed up to watch the next season and i'm curious to see where the show goes - tho I do agree season 1 was truly awesome.

On episode 8 of the third season. Pretty gradually falling completely out of love with the show. Too many soap opera elements. Danny being the biggest culprit but certainly not the only one.

On episode 8 of the third season. Pretty gradually falling completely out of love with the show. Too many soap opera elements. Danny being the biggest culprit but certainly not the only one.
Yeah, I have to agree, the first two seasons really captured the spirit of the times and the optimism, but this last one was basically this show's equivalent of Westworld Season 2-3.

I do feel like there would be more changes like, culturally. It’s crazy that like Aliens and Star Wars came out at the same time and has the same cultural effect. Would be kinda interested in exploring the finer details of the TL or something similar.

i was kinda skeptical of everyone working together at first but by the end of the season I actually kinda liked it. Really highlights how extreme the environments they are in. The NK astronaut really helped this for me.

All my complaints aside I’ll definitely be watching S4.

The 'news snippets' that are on the website and occasionality show up in the show do give an idea of all that has changed, but they seem to fall off somewhat in S3.

That bombing really should have some massive ripples though if nothing else - if *anything* pop culture wise is the same in S4 I am going to be disappointed.

That bombing really should have some massive ripples though if nothing else - if *anything* pop culture wise is the same in S4 I am going to be disappointed.
I attribute that to stock footage, but maybe when they get closer to the modern day they can make their own.

I'm still waiting on the trailer

I do feel like there would be more changes like, culturally. It’s crazy that like Aliens and Star Wars came out at the same time and has the same cultural effect. Would be kinda interested in exploring the finer details of the TL or something similar.

i was kinda skeptical of everyone working together at first but by the end of the season I actually kinda liked it. Really highlights how extreme the environments they are in. The NK astronaut really helped this for me.

All my complaints aside I’ll definitely be watching S4.
Yeah, the pop culture staying so similar has bugged me a little too, but I think the show makers are doing that for the more casual viewers who would associate the time period with current movies. This show has always had to balance it being alternate history with, essentially, being a period piece.

We are (in the show) approaching a point where things have diverged so much that they're going to be fully making up future events, politicians, pop culture, etc. It really won't be long before the 'period piece' ends and we're fully into (hard) scifi.

We are (in the show) approaching a point where things have diverged so much that they're going to be fully making up future events, politicians, pop culture, etc. It really won't be long before the 'period piece' ends and we're fully into (hard) scifi.
The butterflies are much stronger now at this point.

Small discussion point: you think we will see more of Kelly's daughter in S4?

I mean, the first human born out of Earth, the first Starborn, is bound to become a celebrity by the time she's 5.

Unless of course the writers make so being born in space and conceived on Mars will end giving her body issues…

Small discussion point: you think we will see more of Kelly's daughter in S4?

I mean, the first human born out of Earth, the first Starborn, is bound to become a celebrity by the time she's 5.

Unless of course the writers make so being born in space and conceived on Mars will end giving her body issues…
It would suck for her but I would actually be quite interested in such a storyline.