The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

After weeks of ceaseless toil, I am pleased to present:

The "Great Overhaul of China*" (Part 1 of 2)
*also Russia, Kazakhstan, Tibet, Mongolia, Korea, etc.
credit for some of this goes to various people who posted useful patches in this thread, particularly Library of Alexandria

Postmodern Era
World Wars
19th Century
Early Modern Era
Late Medieval Era

Since imgur is going to hell, here are the rest of these, up to 1776, the remainder will be posted in the succeeding days.

1682202871838.png

1682202904968.png

1682202918931.png

1682202927497.png

1682202944650.png

1682202953045.png

1682202960217.png

1682202967603.png

1682202975260.png

1682202983228.png

Since imgur is going to hell, here are the rest of these, up to 1776, the remainder will be posted in the succeeding days.

View attachment 826800
I love the work with the tusi (and would very much like to get my hands on the source maps), but what is up with the Chinese coastline?

For comparison, here's the typical version (left) vs yours (middle), and an overlay to show the difference (right).
jRDMMk1.png
iz2sm8l.png
bCG67s3.png

Edit: Also, the internal borders of the ROC map based on that coastline don't align with either the old or new versions of China's internal borders.
Here's version 1, version 2, the ROC map, and overlays between the ROC map and the two versions.
sGEOC12.png
0SMs1e5.png
TVcg5Ix.png

ZM0TI55.png
3EDo6Ah.png

Last edited:
I love the work with the tusi (and would very much like to get my hands on the source maps), but what is up with the Chinese coastline?

For comparison, here's the typical version (left) vs yours (middle), and an overlay to show the difference (right).
jRDMMk1.png
iz2sm8l.png
bCG67s3.png

Edit: Also, the internal borders of the ROC map based on that coastline don't align with either the old or new versions of China's internal borders.
Here's version 1, version 2, the ROC map, and overlays between the ROC map and the two versions.
sGEOC12.png
0SMs1e5.png
TVcg5Ix.png

ZM0TI55.png
3EDo6Ah.png
The version Lin made is based on the Q-BAM

jRDMMk1.png
iz2sm8l.png
bCG67s3.png

sGEOC12.png
0SMs1e5.png
TVcg5Ix.png

ZM0TI55.png
3EDo6Ah.png
The province boundaries I made were based on the QBAM, specifically the work of @Xasper H.. I decided to edit the coastline too to accord with the QBAM. I am pretty sure that this is more correct. Look at Hainan for example. There are other things, like Hong Kong in the old version being two pixels wide for some reason.

781px-Administrative_Division_Hainan_%28PRC_claimed%29.svg.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.50.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.50.26 PM.png

The province boundaries I made were based on the QBAM, specifically the work of @Xasper H.. I decided to edit the coastline too to accord with the QBAM. I am pretty sure that this is more correct. Look at Hainan for example. There are other things, like Hong Kong in the old version being two pixels wide for some reason.

781px-Administrative_Division_Hainan_%28PRC_claimed%29.svg.png

View attachment 827995

View attachment 827996
1. First, I took the big map of Hainan you posted and scaled it down so it would equal the size of worlda Hainan and see which version fit it better.

UBHOJzk.png
GXl7RWC.png

euVJhcX.png
mJkKRcE.png

hadaril worlda (top left), hadaril worlda with hainan overlaid (top right),
your worlda (bottom left), your worlda with hainan overlaid (bottom right).

2. Then, I took the worlda Hainans and scaled them up to the size of big Hainan and checked which one fit it better.
BixGJmg.png
CamnRqD.png
T9xIOHl.png

big Hainan (left), hadaril's worlda overlaid on big Hainan (middle), your worlda overlaid on big Hainan (right)

To my eyes, hadaril's version clearly fits Hainan's shape better. It may need a bit of tweaking, but not to the extent that you've changed it.
In your version, the southeastern coast bulges out too much.

Last edited:
1. First, I took the big map of Hainan you posted and scaled it down so it would equal the size of worlda Hainan and see which version fit it better.

UBHOJzk.png
GXl7RWC.png

euVJhcX.png
mJkKRcE.png

hadaril worlda (top left), hadaril worlda with hainan overlaid (top right),
your worlda (bottom left), your worlda with hainan overlaid (bottom right).

2. Then, I took the worlda Hainans and scaled them up to the size of big Hainan and checked which one fit it better.
BixGJmg.png
CamnRqD.png
T9xIOHl.png

big Hainan (left), hadaril's worlda overlaid on big Hainan (middle), your worlda overlaid on big Hainan (right)

To my eyes, hadaril's version clearly fits Hainan's shape better. It may need a bit of tweaking, but not to the extent that you've changed it.
In particular, the southern coast bulges out too much.
1682740091865.png

1682740220509.png

1682740587795.png

1682740676606.png

Last edited:
1. Can you post the Guangdong map separate from the worlda one? I'd like to test it on its own versus the Hainan map and the QBAM map.
2. If worlda China's coastline changed to fit to the QBAM coastline, I assume all other coasts changed as well?
3. If this map's Hainan supports your version, then why did the Hainan you gave earlier support hadaril's version (edit: and why does your map's supporting evidence trump the supporting evidence for hadaril's map)? I am confused.

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like the real map QBAM uses as a base is slightly more bowed-out than the worlda one. If so, why use it to "correct" the worlda map at all?

lzyAonj.png
lUYXMJx.png
Kk97v7N.png

If nothing else, a satellite image of Hainan seems to match up with the first map you gave + the worlda, so what's the deal?

Last edited:
1. Can you post the Guangdong map separate from the worlda one? I'd like to test it on its own versus the Hainan map and the QBAM map.
main-qimg-68742b6c28c369cc50ebda3150154d4b-lq

2. If worlda China's coastline changed to fit to the QBAM coastline, I assume all other coasts changed as well?
The other worlda coasts are pretty much in line with the QBAM. But you can see here that Hainan and Bohai are not.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.32.43 AM.png

3. If this map's Hainan supports your version, then why did the Hainan you gave earlier support hadaril's version (edit: and why does your map's supporting evidence trump the supporting evidence for hadaril's map)? I am confused.

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like the real map QBAM uses as a base is slightly more bowed-out than the worlda one. If so, why use it to "correct" the worlda map at all?

lzyAonj.png
lUYXMJx.png
Kk97v7N.png

If nothing else, a satellite image of Hainan seems to match up with the first map you gave + the worlda, so what's the deal?
I absolutely can create an overlay using that map which appears to support my Hainan. This is a trivial exercise.

Keep in mind that the worlda uses a pseudocylindrical projection, and we are working with an area that is far from the prime meridian. Therefore, any rectangular area (such as that map of Hainan) will correspond to a parallelogram (well, not actually a parallelogram, the lateral sides are curved, but at this scale it is very close to a true parallelogram). If you look back at my Guangdong overlay, you will notice the parallelogram effect, and if you try the overlay yourself, you will find that there is no other possible way that worlda Guangdong can be reconciled with local projection Guangdong.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.35.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.38.07 AM.png

The problem now is that we have no way to tell which of these is the correct one. However, my map and hadaril's map agree about the coastline of Guangdong province much more than they agree about the coastline of Hainan, so we can use a map that includes both Hainan and Guangdong to determine which is more correct. We can also use the QBAM, which uses pretty much the same projection, and which in contrast to the worlda I am confident is correct, to do so as well. This is what I have done, and I believe both methods point to inaccuracy of hadaril's Hainan.

Last edited:
Hello, what program did you use to overimpose the Q-BAM subdivisions to WorldA like in this image? asking because I have been undergoing on a big hobby project to revamp all of its borders and add second and third-level administrative divisions to the WorldA, I know that it becomes ugly and confusing, but I really do not care, because it is a personal project of mine, rather than something that I am planning to release to the public.

Hello, what program did you use to overimpose the Q-BAM subdivisions to WorldA like in this image? asking because I have been undergoing on a big hobby project to revamp all of its borders and add second and third-level administrative divisions to the WorldA, I know that it becomes ugly and confusing, but I really do not care, because it is a personal project of mine, rather than something that I am planning to release to the public.
GIMP, but all that is required is a program that allows you to stretch and squeeze images while resizing them; this is necessary because the QBAM is proportionally wider than the worlda is.