A Better Name For The War Of 1812

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really poorly named, considering it lasted longer than just 1812.

If I remember correctly, it lasted until the peace treaty was signed in 1814, but Andrew jackson did his thing in Florida in 1815. Right?

Anyway, I was thinking something along the lines of the American-British War. Or maybe the Second American-British War?

your thoughts?

From the American perspective their are a number possibilities.

1. the Second Anglo-American War
2. the Second War of Independence

From the American perspective their are a number possibilities.

1. the Second Anglo-American War
2. the Second War of Independence

I prefer the second one. My current history text book (I'm in Advanced Placement Sophmore US History) refers to the war as such, because really if they had lost there'd be no America.

Another name of it cold be "The War Where We Didn't Feel Like Making New Maps So We Just Gave Everyone Back the Territory They Lost"

You need a POD where there are more 19th century Anglo-American Wars, and then it would get a number. For example- "The peace settlement of the Second Anglo-American War, the first war between the US and the British Empire in the 19th century, led directly to the Third Anglo-American War in 1844 . . ." *Encyclopedia Brittania.

I prefer the second one. My current history text book (I'm in Advanced Placement Sophmore US History) refers to the war as such, because really if they had lost there'd be no America.

Another name of it cold be "The War Where We Didn't Feel Like Making New Maps So We Just Gave Everyone Back the Territory They Lost"

There wasn't any threat of annexation at all. The most Britain ever even thought about was the Old Northwest (to make an Indian Protectorate out of) and maybe New Orleans...

Britain had neither the will nor the desire to occupy the rest of the states. You can't really fight a war of Independence when you are already independent and you invade the other country...

World War II. The War of 1812 was just one phase of the Napoleonic Wars. The 7 years war or "French and Indian War" might be considered WW I as it also involved most of the nations of Europe and involved campaigns across the globe.

Sooo..acording to your logic, WWI was WIII, and WWII was WWIV?

Well, more or less. All were global in territorial scope and involved most of the powers of the day.

We might be skipping a few more global conflicts between the Coalition Wars and WW1, though.

The War of American Agression...:p

The War to Avenge British Perfidy? (referring to British agents, operating from Canada, arming Indian tribes to kill American settlers in the west)?

The War for Freedom of the Seas? (referring to British warships stopping American ships at sea and kidnapping American citizens)?

There was plenty of aggression to go around.

The War for Freedom of the Seas? (referring to British warships stopping American ships at sea and kidnapping American citizens)?

Except that the War of 1812 did bugger all to give the Americans freedom of the seas. Impressment stopped because the British had no more need of it. There was nothing at all in the peace treaty that addressed the issue of impressment.

I think it's funny how pissed off you Brits and Canadians get about that. :p

Think of it as a Berserk Button

The War to Avenge British Perfidy? (referring to British agents, operating from Canada, arming Indian tribes to kill American settlers in the west)?

There was plenty of aggression to go around.

I know the British weren't exacly innocent in the matter, but Britain did try to appease the Americans at the end right before war was declared and the entire thing was only moved forward by Madison and his war hawks...

I was also taking cues from the term "War of Northern Agression"

Status
Not open for further replies.