Queen Victoria marries otl’s Christian IX - effects on the Schleswig/Schleswig-Holstein question?

I’m playing around with a 19th century Scandinavia scenario, which may or may not include the house of Augustenburg gaining the Swedish throne - and possibly the Norwegian and Danish ones down the line as well. This would of course exclude the Glücksburg line from succession.

Now in otl, Christian IX sought Queen Victoria’s hand over a decade before he became the heir to Denmark. The two became on quite good terms with each other, but I don’t know if he ever stood a chance as a potential groom - though I’m sure our resident Victorian-experts do.

In either case, in a scenario where Christian doesn’t end up a King but as consort to the British monarch, this could have some interesting effects on the situation in Schleswig in the mid 19th century. When it came to resolving the situation, and international solution was attempted several times with lackluster results. A big issue was supposedly that people not directly involved generally didn’t have a very good understanding of the situation.

Lord Palmerston famously said about the situation: "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it."

Now if he attributed this rare understanding to the departed Prince Albert, it’s interesting to speculate on what an alive consort who had an even more personal connection to the situation could have done about it. Christian would have been a natural mediator of the situation and may have been able to find a more sustainable situation than the otl London protocole - which left no involved part satisfied and paved the way for the second Schleswig war a little over a decade later.

It leave the question of who replace Christian IX, two major reason for the choice of Christian IX was his mother and wife (both member of the House of Hesse-Kassel) and closely related to the last ruling Oldenburg kings. So if one of Christian IX‘s brother marries his OTL wife that brother would be a prime candidate instead. alternative Christian IX‘s brother in law was a candidate to the Danish throne in OTL, at last the Augustenburg could potential don’t do stupid stuff like rebelling.

There's also the question of who'll replace George I as King of the Hellenes, as not only does he not exist in TTL but the Greeks didn't want any princes from the major royal houses of Europe to become their king.

There's also the question of who'll replace George I as King of the Hellenes, as not only does he not exist in TTL but the Greeks didn't want any princes from the major royal houses of Europe to become their king.
I don't think it was the Greeks who objected but the Great Powers.

Greece absolutely wanted one of the sons of Victoria as king in OTL but that was not possible as Great powers had established to keep themselves out of contention for the various Crowns who were created in that timeframe

It leave the question of who replace Christian IX, two major reason for the choice of Christian IX was his mother and wife (both member of the House of Hesse-Kassel) and closely related to the last ruling Oldenburg kings. So if one of Christian IX‘s brother marries his OTL wife that brother would be a prime candidate instead. alternative Christian IX‘s brother in law was a candidate to the Danish throne in OTL, at last the Augustenburg could potential don’t do stupid stuff like rebelling.
I’m toying with the idea of Louise of Hesse marrying an alt-son of Charles August of Augustenburg, surviving as King of Sweden in ttl, and Frederick VI’s daughter Caroline, to maximize the Danish claim.

@Atterdag I'm sorry but this is ASB. For one, I've never came across any source that suggests Queen Victoria and the future Christian IX ever met before she married Albert, let alone the idea of any kind of marriage. Moreover, without the Danish connection Christian would be much to lowly to marry the Queen Regnant of the United Kingdom; he'd only be a a member of a dstaff, non-sovereign branch of the Danish Royal House. Not a likely marriage partner. Finally, the only affect this would have would be to potentially secure Schleswig-Holstein to Denmark (as the argument for the 2nd Schleswig war was a claim to the Duchies by the Duke of Augustenburg), but considering that the Prussians had a strong eye toward them, I think they'd invent an excuse to grab at least Holstein at some point.

I'm sorry but this is ASB.
Really?

You can’t imagine this without literally involving aliens?

On a forum about history not happening the way it did?

Moreover, without the Danish connection Christian would be much to lowly to marry the Queen Regnant of the United Kingdom; he'd only be a a member of a dstaff, non-sovereign branch of the Danish Royal House. Not a likely marriage partner.
I’m not saying he was a likely candidate, that’s why he wasn’t considered otl. But you know, this an alternate history forum, things could be made to go differently to make him more of a candidate.

Finally, the only affect this would have would be to potentially secure Schleswig-Holstein to Denmark (as the argument for the 2nd Schleswig war was a claim to the Duchies by the Duke of Augustenburg), but considering that the Prussians had a strong eye toward them, I think they'd invent an excuse to grab at least Holstein at some point.
Few people in Denmark were looking to secure both the duchies, Christian being one of the few. Most Danes saw the helstat as untenable and were looking for a way to separate Schleswig and Holstein, so that Schleswig would go to Denmark and Holstein to the german confederation. And as I wrote, poor understanding of the situation was one of the reasons a sustainable solution couldn’t be found through international diplomacy. Christian could not and would not contribute through a massive Danish bias, it’s not like he would’ve held any executive power, but a person close to power who had an understanding of the situation.

Wikipedia, as far as any reference to anything I can name says this in the (English language) article on Christian:

"As a young man, in 1838, Prince Christian, representing Frederick VI, attended the coronation of Queen Victoria at Westminster Abbey.[13] During his stay in London, he unsuccessfully sought the hand of the young British queen in marriage. Even though she chose to follow her family's wishes and preferred to marry her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the young queen had a good impression of her third cousin Prince Christian, who 25 years later would become father-in-law to her eldest son, the Prince of Wales.[14]"

I don't suppose anyone here is familiar with the source given?
(Bramsen, Bo (1992). Huset Glücksborg. Europas svigerfader og hans efterslægt [The House of Glücksburg. The Father-in-law of Europe and his descendants] (in Danish) (2nd ed.). Copenhagen: Forlaget Forum. )

I am not, alas.

Last edited:
I think I might have that book somewhere at home or at my parents’ home, but I’m out on rural retreat this weekend so it’ll have to wait a bit :)

@Atterdag I'm sorry but this is ASB. For one, I've never came across any source that suggests Queen Victoria and the future Christian IX ever met before she married Albert, let alone the idea of any kind of marriage. Moreover, without the Danish connection Christian would be much to lowly to marry the Queen Regnant of the United Kingdom; he'd only be a a member of a dstaff, non-sovereign branch of the Danish Royal House. Not a likely marriage partner. Finally, the only affect this would have would be to potentially secure Schleswig-Holstein to Denmark (as the argument for the 2nd Schleswig war was a claim to the Duchies by the Duke of Augustenburg), but considering that the Prussians had a strong eye toward them, I think they'd invent an excuse to grab at least Holstein at some point.
He went to her coronation, where he was derided as a country bumpkin because of his clothes and speech (he had only his officers pay as income so while he looked dapper, it was just a "little too smart" and bordered on vulgar), and his German had a strong Danish burr- I'm going off what I heard in a TV show where they discussed it.

Maybe @isabella is more knowledgeable?
Danish books and history are far from my field. Still Victoria was Queen and free to choose her husband and so if she had fallen for Christian instead of Albert and decided to marry him I doubt who someone would be able to block the match

He went to her coronation, where he was derided as a country bumpkin because of his clothes and speech (he had only his officers pay as income so while he looked dapper, it was just a "little too smart" and bordered on vulgar), and his German had a strong Danish burr- I'm going off what I heard in a TV show where they discussed it.

I’m surprised if he had a strong Danish accent, his brothers was ridiculed for their strong German accent in Denmark.

I’m surprised if he had a strong Danish accent, his brothers was ridiculed for their strong German accent in Denmark.
Maybe I got it mixed up then? But I'm sure there was something to do with his speech. Although why a strong German accent would've seemed out of place or aroused comment at Victoria's coronation, IDK