A Few Acres of Snow: A Map and Graphic Timeline

Despite the fact that Texas was a magnet for liberal dissidents, this State was a slave state and fought on the side of the Confederacy.
Ah true, though.

I guess that while abolition was certainly popular among the liberals of the time, those especially from central and eastern Europe were often still fighting for things like the right for men to vote, a real, constitution, or national unification or self determination so I guess Texas even with slavery felt very progressive to them.

Map of Canada
AFAoS banner.png
And here's the big one:

dfs30ss-bb43c5ba-13e2-4713-92dd-9fe06c4c8177.png

Gabingston

Kicked
What have been the main sources of immigration to Canada historically? Obviously France is probably the main one, but who else came to Canada in large numbers?

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Less German immigration?
"Eby" is an Old Order Mennonite (Swiss-German) name of the first European colonisers in the area. So if the Eby's arrived from Pennsylvania in the early 1800s and Ebyville happened, that tells me that the migration patterns that opened up OTL Southern Ontario and also brought my Amish Mennonite ancestors to the area in the 1830s are probably still in place in this ATL. Thus one would expect the Time of Troubles in 1840s-1850s Europe would stiull result in a lot of Alsatian, Swiss, and German migration to what is OTL Kitchener & Waterloo.

What have been the main sources of immigration to Canada historically? Obviously France is probably the main one, but who else came to Canada in large numbers?
Germans, Irish, Scandinavians, Italians, Poles, Ashkenazi Jews, more recently Afro-Caribbeans, Maghrebis, Vietnamese, Tamils among others.

How do you get the indigenous names for places in the upper Louisiana Purchase and Ungava and northern Ontario? (as well as other such areas in your other North America maps)
Wikipedia when I was lucky, otherwise lots of googling for dictionaries and vocabulary lists and atlases or maps in those languages.

So, basically the same as the US.
Basically! I think that wouldn't necessarily change much, most of the same push factors in Europe and pull factors in North America would still be in place and Canada here could be more enticing for Catholic immigrants in particular than the OTL US (which got plenty of them to begin with).

I assume Canada emancipated its Jewish population fairly early, like with OTL Lower Canada.
Yeah, it would have been no later than the 1838 republican constitution that would have included freedom of religion and may have also been earlier than that.