Semper Fidelis ad Astra: An alternate History of the Space Race

Chapter 0: It's a long way to the top.
First things first, this story has no relation or any connection to "Rewriting History" in any way and is totally new.
This story is purely fictional, and will not always be 100% technically accurate, but I will try my best to give a reason for everything.

Hey everyone, glad to be back here to write a new alternate history story that I've been working on for quite some time.
With all the education and whatnot, I won't be able to post regularly, however over the past few months, I have been writing out chapters and chapter ideas bit by bit, so I'm not starting from scratch.

Secondly, I'd like to thank a few people for helping me with this, primarily @defconh3ck and @Its_Marc these two helped massively with developing this story. I'd also like to thank @amateur for his help too.

Chapter 0: It's a long way to the top.

April 1970.
It has been quite the journey for NASA and its human spaceflight program, with multiple successes and a ton of recognition from the public. The common American man has become heavily invested in keeping up with the current ongoings of human spaceflight, and every kid dreamed of being an astronaut one day. it was truly an upcoming space age. However, things began taking a turn off the rails so to speak, the program was in trouble.

NASA has been racking up problems, docking port this, oxygen tank that. With the recent Apollo 13 fiasco congress has been pressuring NASA and it's looking more and more catastrophic for the program. Congress has been discussing cutting the budget for the Apollo program, however, another entity has stepped in, offering to keep the program alive.

The United States Air Force...

Last edited:
Chapter I : I Fought The Law
Before I begin, a massive thank you goes out to @Its_Marc for his help with this chapter, and once again thank you to @defconh3ck for their contributions as well.

Chapter I :
I Fought The Law

At the peak of the Cold War, the United States Air Force was becoming increasingly concerned about the Soviet Union's advances in space technology, specifically their capability to haul things into orbit, and over to the Moon, the N-1 was a worthy opponent to the Saturn V. The Air Force believed that the Apollo program had the potential to be a powerful tool in defending the United States against Soviet aggression on the lunar surface. The Air Force argued that by taking control of the Apollo program, they could use the existing infrastructure to develop a Lunar Defense Program that would include advanced surveillance systems, weaponry, and defensive measures to protect American interests on the moon.

The Air Force had also suspected that the NASA-led Apollo program had become too slow and bureaucratic, leading to unnecessary delays and safety issues. They argued that the military's experience with rapid development and deployment of new technology would allow them to quickly and efficiently transform the Apollo program into a more effective tool for defending the United States on the lunar surface.

The Air Force's argument that NASA's incompetency led to the decision to transfer the Apollo program to the military's control was based on a series of perceived failures and mishaps in the program's history.
Firstly, the Apollo 1 tragedy, where three astronauts were killed during a launch rehearsal, was blamed on NASA's lack of attention to safety and quality control. The Air Force believed that NASA had rushed the program, leading to mistakes that ultimately resulted in the loss of life.
Similarly, the incident with Apollo 13, where an explosion in one of the oxygen tanks nearly caused the loss of the mission and crew, was seen as the ultimate proof of NASA's incompetence. The Air Force argued that NASA had failed to properly anticipate and mitigate potential risks, leading to a dangerous situation that could have been avoided with better planning and preparation. Despite initial resistance from NASA and other government agencies, the Air Force's arguments ultimately won the support of the President and Congress. The Apollo program was transferred to the Air Force's control, and they quickly began work on transforming it into the Lunar Defense Program.

----------------
"So they're giving us away? Just because of 13?" Gordo said with food stuffed in his mouth, across the table from him sat Mitchel Wright. Gordo and Mitch were veteran Astronauts of the Gemini and Apollo programs, good friends ever since Gemini 7, these two were almost never seen apart at JSC.
----------------
Mitch came from the navy, is a navy pilot, and has a wide and bright flight record. Gordo came from the Airforce, was an excellent pilot, and was absolutely remarkable with the T-38.
----------------
"It's not that they're giving us away, it's more like the program is going away, we are staying with the NASA guys, just no more Moon," Mitch answered, putting his magazine down
----------------
"So all these Airforce guys will just get to fly to the Moon? Do we have any idea what happens to us? What the hell do we even do? Apart from Skylab, we don't have too much here." Gordo quickly followed up
----------------
"Yeah but the Airforce is forming a new Marine division, something like Lunar Marines I guess? Most of the information isn't public yet, we as astronauts don't know much" Mitch said, almost dismissing Gordo's questions as being too simple to answer.”
----------------
It was a brief exchange of words, Gordo didn’t bother questioning it too much as of yet. He just sat at his table, indulging in his lunch. As far as he was concerned, it was not his problem to worry about the Moon anymore…
----------------
As time went by, the entirety of the NASA staff had become accustomed to this change, despite it being rather sudden and unexpected, it wasn't the very least surprising. And so the law was passed, the program will be transfered over to the United States Airforce. It will not be enough to say that people were dissapointed, many were truly heartbroken, but it is not over yet. Despite its shift to a military purpose, the program will still live in its own way.

Preamble:
An Act to transfer the Apollo program from NASA to the United States Air Force for the purposes of converting it into a lunar defense program against the Soviet Union.

Section 1: Transfer of Apollo Program to United States Air Force
The Apollo program currently managed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) shall be transferred to the United States Air Force, which will be responsible for its further development, management, and execution. This includes all personnel, assets, and resources associated with the Apollo program. However, for the next 10 years, NASA will work alongside the Air Force to provide them with the use of NASA-developed infrastructure and the contractors, such as Boeing Company, North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft Company, and IBM. After the passing of the 10 years allocated to the cooperation of NASA and the United States Airforce, new infrastructure will be built to separate NASA and the USAF.

Section 2: Lunar Defense Program
The Apollo program shall be rebranded as the Lunar Defense Program, which will aim to establish a military presence on the Moon to deter any hostile actions from the Soviet Union. The Lunar Defense Program shall be managed by the United States Air Force and shall include the development and deployment of weapons systems, surveillance equipment, communication systems, and other technology necessary for defense purposes.

Section 3: Funding and Resources
The United States Air Force shall receive the necessary funding and resources to carry out the Lunar Defense Program. This includes funds previously allocated to the Apollo program, as well as additional funds as deemed necessary by the Secretary of Defense. The Secretary of Defense shall be responsible for ensuring that the Lunar Defense Program receives adequate resources to meet its objectives.

Section 4: Collaboration with NASA
The United States Air Force shall work closely with NASA to ensure a smooth transfer of the Apollo program, and to continue to benefit from NASA's expertise in space exploration. NASA shall provide the United States Air Force with all necessary information, data, and resources to enable the successful execution of the Lunar Defense Program. The United States Air Force shall also be responsible for ensuring the safety and well-being of all NASA personnel involved in the Lunar Defense Program. A selection of NASA Apollo astronauts will be transferred over to the United States Airforce Lunar Marine corp, they will undergo additional training as well as training with weapons and Marine training, after which this selection of astronauts will be capable of providing training to new Marine recruits

Section 5: Reporting Requirements
The United States Air Force shall provide regular reports to Congress on the progress of the Lunar Defense Program, including updates on the establishment of a military presence on the Moon. Reports shall be provided on a quarterly basis and shall include details on the allocation of resources, development of technology, and progress toward the achievement of the program's objectives.

Section 6: Sunset Provision
This Act shall remain in effect until such time that the United States Air Force determines that the Lunar Defense Program is no longer necessary. At that point, the program shall be terminated, and any remaining funds shall be returned to the Treasury. The United States Air Force shall provide a report to Congress on the reasons for terminating the program, and any lessons learned from its implementation.

Section 7: Effective Date
This Act shall take effect upon its passage.

Sponsored by:
Barrie Randall

Justification:
Russia has demonstrated a clear interest in space exploration as well as the militarization of space. It is crucial that the United States take steps to establish a military presence on the Moon to deter any potential threats from the fascistic and oppressive regime, such will prove to be the most important steps towards peace. The Apollo program provides a unique opportunity to do so, and transferring it to the United States Air Force for the purposes of creating a lunar defense program is the most effective way to achieve this objective. By leveraging the existing resources and expertise of the Apollo program, the United States can establish a strong military presence on the Moon in a timely and cost-effective manner. The United States Army has proven its capability to protect its people against any dangers from beyond its home borders. The United States Army will protect its citizens be it in space, on Earth, or even on the Moon, Against the oppressive and controlling Soviet Regime

Last edited:
I'm curious to see where this goes, but I think this has a lot of issues as a start. Apollo has accomplished its goal, it beat the Soviets to the moon. As far as I can tell, the Soviets haven't landed, indeed if the timing is the same as historic, haven't even successfully launched an N-1 and at this point were largely not saying they had any intent at landing on the moon publicly because it was better to remain silent than be embarrassed by the depth of their failure.

With that in mind, transferring Apollo (and basically the entire human spaceflight program with it) over to the military as well as starting new branches within the DoD aimed at some kind of permanent military development of the moon and the rest of space seems...both out of character with Richard Nixon and Congress in the early 70s, and totally asymmetric with any Soviet-demonstrated intent or capabilities. You had said, "I will try my best to give a reason for everything." Frankly, I'd like to understand how Nixon is going here from a historic space policy saying (paraphrasing a bit, but covered in "After Apollo" by Logsdon) because we had so totally beat the Soviets and they weren't doing anything, spaceflight could be treated as a matter not of crash national priority, but merely of ordinary domestic policy and budgeting, and he seriously entertained even OTL merely shutting down Apollo as fast as possible (cancelling Apollo 16 and 17 was repeatedly something he expressed interest in) all the way to totally spinning down HSF and refocusing NASA as an earth-bound technology advancement agency, with a new national priority project aimed at mass water desalination in the Southwest. Yes, seriously. I'm just not quite seeing how this goes to "we need lunar marines" unless a Soviet Lunakhod found the 2001 monolith or the Mass Effect Prothean Beacon.

The military getting more involved in spaceflight is something I'm interested in, but lunar marines and the like seems like a big leap that I'd be curious to see how you're justifying.

I'm curious to see where this goes, but I think this has a lot of issues as a start. Apollo has accomplished its goal, it beat the Soviets to the moon. As far as I can tell, the Soviets haven't landed, indeed if the timing is the same as historic, haven't even successfully launched an N-1 and at this point were largely not saying they had any intent at landing on the moon publicly because it was better to remain silent than be embarrassed by the depth of their failure.

With that in mind, transferring Apollo (and basically the entire human spaceflight program with it) over to the military as well as starting new branches within the DoD aimed at some kind of permanent military development of the moon and the rest of space seems...both out of character with Richard Nixon and Congress in the early 70s, and totally asymmetric with any Soviet-demonstrated intent or capabilities. You had said, "I will try my best to give a reason for everything." Frankly, I'd like to understand how Nixon is going here from a historic space policy saying (paraphrasing a bit, but covered in "After Apollo" by Logsdon) because we had so totally beat the Soviets and they weren't doing anything, spaceflight could be treated as a matter not of crash national priority, but merely of ordinary domestic policy and budgeting, and he seriously entertained even OTL merely shutting down Apollo as fast as possible (cancelling Apollo 16 and 17 was repeatedly something he expressed interest in) all the way to totally spinning down HSF and refocusing NASA as an earth-bound technology advancement agency, with a new national priority project aimed at mass water desalination in the Southwest. Yes, seriously. I'm just not quite seeing how this goes to "we need lunar marines" unless a Soviet Lunakhod found the 2001 monolith or the Mass Effect Prothean Beacon.

The military getting more involved in spaceflight is something I'm interested in, but lunar marines and the like seems like a big leap that I'd be curious to see how you're justifying.
To be honest, it is very hard to justify something like this however I have planned elements out, I won't yet share what the USSR is doing, however I will say that they have done more things in space and on the moon than in OTL, which is why I've stated that the USAF was growing concerned with the abilities of the Soviet Union, the biggest giveaway is "The N1 is a good competitor to the Saturn V" part.

I'm still working on putting all the pieces into place, but yeah feedback like this is what I need in order to be able to actually build upon my justifications for the decisions I've made.

Safe to say, that it will all make much more sense with the next 2 chapters.

Appreciate the feedback

Seems the USAF get second chance after LUNEX proposal of establish USAF base on Moon, this time with Apollo Hardware.
one option was instalment of ICBM on moon, it was vaguely study as option for MX ICBM basement concept.
but you need a strong reason like Soviets do something military on Moon or something that let USA wrongly believe its Military.
That Capitol Hill giving money to USAF for Lunar program, because after Apollo 11 NASA budget was cut down, because that War in Vietnam...

Seems the USAF get second chance after LUNEX proposal of establish USAF base on Moon, this time with Apollo Hardware.
one option was instalment of ICBM on moon, it was vaguely study as option for MX ICBM basement concept.
but you need a strong reason like Soviets do something military on Moon or something that let USA wrongly believe its Military.
That Capitol Hill giving money to USAF for Lunar program, because after Apollo 11 NASA budget was cut down, because that War in Vietnam...
Well establishing an ICBM on the moon is rather far fetched, I won't say that the soviets aren't going full-speed on the Moon, however.

What I will say, is that they move themselves onto the moon a lot faster than the Americans do, and not with good intent.

Well establishing an ICBM on the moon is rather far fetched
They study EVER concept for MX deployment, Air launch, from ocean floor, horizontal Silos in cliffs, subs in artificial lakes, Mobil launcher in tunnels etc.
USAF wanted under LUNEX military present on Moon, also with nuclear weapon option.

What I will say, is that they move themselves onto the moon a lot faster than the Americans do, and not with good intent.
Now i'm curious, you mention the N-1 in post, do they use the L-3 Complex or Original planned 19K earth orbit refuel concept ?
its about mass to land on moon, underL-3 Complex Lunnly korabyl weight 5500 kg vs 16400 kg of Lunar Module.
means LK bring nearly no cargo to surface, while modified LM brings 5000 kg to surface.

Original 19K concept was to dock Soyuz on lander and upper stage in Orbit and refuel that with tanker
the lander would bring the Soyuz to lunar surface or over 6500kg cargo
FpUY2roXwAEmy2X

Render by Nick Stevens

They study EVER concept for MX deployment, Air launch, from ocean floor, horizontal Silos in cliffs, subs in artificial lakes, Mobil launcher in tunnels etc.
USAF wanted under LUNEX military present on Moon, also with nuclear weapon option.

Now i'm curious, you mention the N-1 in post, do they use the L-3 Complex or Original planned 19K earth orbit refuel concept ?
its about mass to land on moon, underL-3 Complex Lunnly korabyl weight 5500 kg vs 16400 kg of Lunar Module.
means LK bring nearly no cargo to surface, while modified LM brings 5000 kg to surface.

Original 19K concept was to dock Soyuz on lander and upper stage in Orbit and refuel that with tanker
the lander would bring the Soyuz to lunar surface or over 6500kg cargo
FpUY2roXwAEmy2X

Render by Nick Stevens
Funnily enough this is still down to decision, I haven't yet settled on which kind of LK I want to use.

However it would probably be 19k.

I won't get to talking about the soviets and what they do on the moon untill chapter 3, as the first two chapters mostly focus on this transition of Apollo to the Airforce.

19K is best option here, next L3M what needed Hydrogene upper stage and complex Rendezvous.
in contrast to NASA/USAF hydrogene Hardware, Kerosin/Lox is storable in orbit (for LOX with good isolation up to 115 days)
means Soviets could establish Propellant depo in orbit for up coming Moon missions by launching monthly to it with Proton or N2.

I'm just not quite seeing how this goes to "we need lunar marines" unless a Soviet Lunakhod found the 2001 monolith or the Mass Effect Prothean Beacon.

Came around a corner and wham, hit the Monolith and if fell right over on the Beacon.... Stupid time delay.... :)
(Ignoring both were buried and the latter on Mars for a moment :) )

Specifically Apollo which was a very expensive way to do the Moon for any sustained program... Could be worse I suppose, like a generation Starship having a full stack Saturn V at it's core :)

As you note they actually studied pretty much anything and everything for the MX deployment but in context they did the same with the early Minuteman :)
(My favorite was the four story tall "tractor" that would wander around the American Southwest and plant a missile and pad someplace to launch them... It carried two btw :) )

Funnily enough this is still down to decision, I haven't yet settled on which kind of LK I want to use.

I won't get to talking about the soviets and what they do on the moon until chapter 3, as the first two chapters mostly focus on this transition of Apollo to the Airforce.
19K is best option here, next L3M what needed Hydrogene upper stage and complex Rendezvous.
in contrast to NASA/USAF hydrogene Hardware, Kerosin/Lox is storable in orbit (for LOX with good isolation up to 115 days)
means Soviets could establish Propellant depo in orbit for up coming Moon missions by launching monthly to it with Proton or N2.

A Salyut complex with a TLI/TEI stage and a couple of LK landers attached :)
(And why would you bring the Soyuz to the surface anyway? Getting in and out of that thing would be worse than trying to figure out how to do so with the ELA "Apollo analog" capsule :) )

Edit: I forgot to point out that the Air Force can't/wouldn't form any "Marine" unit, it would be an extension/expansion of a standard Air Force Security/Special Forces. The Navy (and Marines) are jealous that way I'm afraid :) (Doesn't help the Air Force is convinced it's the only "real" military service either :) )

Randy

Last edited:
That actually sounds like a really good idea, I was considering something along those lines.

I'll write it down and look a bit more into it.

WIP: Reusable F1 engines
A work in progress concept for a USAF operated LV, the engine section along with two F1 engines is reused.

Still working on heating and buffing up and structure, however, the F1s can be fired more than once IOTL.

The booster will splash downrange in the ocean under parachutes and be recovered, it will return to earth via a ballistic trajectory.

(Image by me; made in KSP1)
screenshot3-50.png

Last edited:
It's actually a really funny little guy, imagine the Saturn IC from ETS, now the core stage is an LRB tank which is used on the bigger LV, and the engine section is reusable, it detaches after booster sep, and it uses two F1s instead of 1.