WIP Map Thread

Some little fragments of a map I'm slowly working on in which the US loses the Spanish-American War.

1678928730098.png

1678950676160.png

As work on the Q BAM continues, this map is not forgotten. Dont worry about the inset territories not matching those on the main map, there have been some lore changes that will require updates in the insets.

Nothing quite so exotic, I'm afraid: Russia, America and China.

Britain used to be one of the poles, but was basically torn apart by the Americans on one side and the Chinese on the other in the decolonization push of the 1940s-50s, and now all that's left are the Dominions + a few other colonies.
hey, i'll count 2/3 as close enough, and i also respect china being the third post in the tripolar world, definitely makes things a bit more fun than 'european-american world domination (again)'

IT CONTINUES!

I've added the names of districts, some district subdivisions, and the anthem. Still haven't fixed the insets.

I'm thinking about what kinds of insets to add. So far, I will do the territorial evolution of Serbia that I already started, an ethnic map of Serbia and Serb-majority lands outside of Serbia, subdivisions of Nova Metohija/Montenegro, and perhaps a little map of what Europe as a whole looks like.

Anything else you think is worth including?

TMBpZCu.png

This is my first map posting.
Basis;
  • After 1763 the British dealt more fairly with the colonies, thus no AWI
  • After the 1807 Abolition of Slavery, the South rebelled, supported by Napoleonic France and (theoretically) Spain. Eventually they formed the Confederation of Independent American States.
    49S550g.png
I still have to work out the Southern States (Confederation of Independent American States) but they will only be loosely based on the pre-existing colonies and will include British Exclaves. I am considering a French New Orleans. The British need to commit to North America probably means Joseph succeeds in subduing Spain but earlier revolts in the Spanish Empire.

The Royal Navy means French assistance is limited but Spanish and Native forces will be instrumental but ... on which side?

I'm looking for State ideas for the green area bearing in mind I intend to include some Native American states such as Choctaw, Chickasaw and Cherokee.

China was too unstable in the early 90s to keep Manchuria, and the yellow thing is basically belarus 2.
Belarus has an identity separate from Russia that can justify such separation. That yellow thing doesn't.

The same goes for "Manchuria". Yeah, you can point out the Manchu ethnic group, but they're mostly assimilated, and the region is majority Han by a large margin.

Also, forgot to mention, but congrats on making Mongolia majority Chinese lol.

Belarus has an identity separate from Russia that can justify such separation. That yellow thing doesn't.

The same goes for "Manchuria". Yeah, you can point out the Manchu ethnic group, but they're mostly assimilated, and the region is majority Han by a large margin.

Also, forgot to mention, but congrats on making Mongolia majority Chinese lol.
Did I mention the han genocides of the 90's?

Did I mention the han genocides of the 90's?
No, I haven't seen any mention of such genocides in your original post.

Which is even more ridiculous. Such genocides would leave "manchuria" and the yellow part of China with literally no one living there. The perpetrators might as well have killed themselves to spare the trouble....

Not to mention, I find it highly unlikely, impossible even, that the Han living in ANY of the breakaway regions would've agreed to be slaughtered or ethnically cleansed, regardless of the situation in Beijing. Having spent centuries in the privileged position of power with all the guns and power, why be killed when you can (brutally) retain your power and privilege.

The collapse of the Soviet Union didn't stop the Russian government from intervening to "protect" Russians and co. in Transistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, etc...

Besides, "manchuria" is basically China's Rust Belt. Why leave your only source of survival and go for it alone with decrepit, Stalin-era heavy industries that have no competitive value for the sake of restoring, at best, a country that assimilated itself into your own culture via conquest, and at worst, a Japanese colony for slave labor, resources, and experimental test subjects?

China was too unstable in the early 90s to keep Manchuria, and the yellow thing is basically belarus 2.0
For China to be too unstable to "keep" Manchuria, there would need to be a popular independence movement in Manchuria. Such a thing never existed in 1991, because, as has been stated, Manchuria is 98% Han Chinese. If you want an independent Manchuria, you're better off having it split off along ideological lines, not manufacturing some kind of ethnic situation that doesn't exist in real life.

For example, rather than China "collapsing", it suffers another civil war. The majority of mainland China winds up controlled by a republican government a la Taiwan (and is also reunified with Taiwan), while the CCP clings to power in Manchuria. International arbitration creates a DMZ situation between Manchuria and China similar to the one that exists between North and South Korea. Manchuria would still technically be called "The People's Republic of China", but shorthand would likely just be "Manchuria" or "North China" in the same way we refer to the "Republic of China" as Taiwan.

That doesn't allow Mongolia to absorb Inner Mongolia (nor should it, that's a ridiculous situation), and it does't allow for the existence of a Chinese "Belarus" (which is also ridiculous), but it at least gives you an independent Manchuria.

For China to be too unstable to "keep" Manchuria, there would need to be a popular independence movement in Manchuria. Such a thing never existed in 1991, because, as has been stated, Manchuria is 98% Han Chinese. If you want an independent Manchuria, you're better off having it split off along ideological lines, not manufacturing some kind of ethnic situation that doesn't exist in real life.

For example, rather than China "collapsing", it suffers another civil war. The majority of mainland China winds up controlled by a republican government a la Taiwan (and is also reunified with Taiwan), while the CCP clings to power in Manchuria. International arbitration creates a DMZ situation between Manchuria and China similar to the one that exists between North and South Korea. Manchuria would still technically be called "The People's Republic of China", but shorthand would likely just be "Manchuria" or "North China" in the same way we refer to the "Republic of China" as Taiwan.

That doesn't allow Mongolia to absorb Inner Mongolia (nor should it, that's a ridiculous situation), and it does't allow for the existence of a Chinese "Belarus" (which is also ridiculous), but it at least gives you an independent Manchuria.
The only bits of China that Mongolia could eat without issues are Northern Chahar.

A world where both the ussr and china collapse in 1991:
View attachment 819520
Everyone has offered the classic gripes with this map, but lets say we do want a realistic balkanized China, what does that look like?

If we want to take it really far, we could see regionalism in economically powerful regions which want to break off from an economically collapsing country, perhaps. Places like Guangdong COULD potentially then back-justify this by saying that Cantonese speakers are a distinct ethnicity and thus deserve a nation state, but Id need people who know more about China to tell me if thats even remotely viable.

Manchuria and inner Mongolia re staying almost certainly. If you REALLY want ethnic separatism, MAYBE a Zhuang state though I imagine that's economically a bad idea, I doubt they have much to work with in inland Guangxi.

Tibet and Xinjiang though, assuming a rather weak China and willing international support are very much plausible.

Note that a severely weakened China might not need ethnic secession only. There could be ideological splits or political factions if you want a REALLY ugly civil war situation. On the other hand, you could also have regions demanding AUTONMY from an increasingly weak government on an ethnic or economic basis.