Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

I assumed based on what I read that they were, in theory, supposed to elevate them to SSR status (worldstatesmen seems to indicate that the declarations made a change in the formal name to SSR)
Yes, according the New Union Treaty ASSRs should be subjects of the USSR, and they also must remain parts of the their SSRs (Russia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine) at the same time like modern Russian autonomous districts in Tyumen and Arkhangelsk oblasts. But the NUT remained just a project and wasn't actual after Almaty agreement. Vanishing of "Autonomous" from ASSRs names is just changе of name and didn't mean any change of their constitutional status

I couldn’t actually find the text of any of them to see for myself.
there are here some declarations http://soveticus5.narod.ru/85/sborn91.htm

I'm not sure how to correctly designate Tatarstan because just at that time they were trying to join the CIS, but unlike the ChRI, they obeyed the Russian government decisions.

Untitled761_20230305121245.png
MBAM of the Karafuto Prefecture (South Sakhalin) in the interwar period.

Does anybody have resources for the division of North Sakhalin?

Um, I hate to break it to you, but this is the Q-BAM thread, not the M-BAM thread. And second, the partition of Sakhalin was along latitude 50° North, so really the border should be in a straight line.
This might just be my eyes, but it looks like the map is tilted. That would explain the nonstraight line.

This might just be my eyes, but it looks like the map is tilted. That would explain the nonstraight line.
The M-BAM uses the same projection as the Q-BAM, it's definitely not tilted—just warped because of how near the edge of the map Sakhalin is.

Hello, new here, does anyone here have maps for the time period 1914-1945, preferably early interwar years (1918-1924)

Crazy Boris

Banned
Where did you get the subdivisions for the ASSRs? This is the first time I have seen them in any map, I would love to see your sources.

It was simple, but time-consuming, I went to the wiki pages for the administrative divisions of the modern republics, and then checked the page for each district individually to confirm they existed in 1991 on both English and Russian wiki

image.png

December 26, 1991: The USSR officially ceases to exist (feat: updated QBAM base)
@Crazy Boris I know this is NOT for request, but I have been trying on my own and failed. I have been using one of your maps for my story but to modify/balkanize South Africa into the proposed Cape Republic, the Volkstaat, the bantustans of both Namibia and South Africa plus Orange and Transvaal.

h1n̥gʷnis​

This is a proto-indo-european fire god, transliterated into english. Does anyone know how you even pronounce this?
Be aware - as with reconstructed languages, (A) there is no guarantee that this is what the word actually is, and (B) even if it was, we have no idea how exactly how to pronounce it. Or even that there is a consistent way to pronounce it.

So, basically, we don't know.

EDIT: but probably like "han-GWUN-is" or "hun-GWUN-is"

Last edited:

h1n̥gʷnis​

This is a proto-indo-european fire god, transliterated into english. Does anyone know how you even pronounce this?
It's a phonetic transcription, not a transliteration, so it shows discreetly how that word is pronounced. I'll break it down as best I can, but take everything with a grain of salt, as @Analytical Engine said, this is a reconstructed language. There's as much accuracy here as there is with evolutionary trees, so, potentially very accurate, but still not guaranteed.

1. h1 is a laryngeal, so it's very much up for debate, but either an <h> as in English hat, or a /ʔ/ that is in-between the syllables of English uh-oh (there definitely is a sound there, it's just somewhat hard to hear for most people). There is some suggestion as well that the laryngeals had vocalic forms, that is, they could be vowels in some environments too. For h1, its a schwa, the /ə/ when you say the <a> in words like comma or about in rapid speech, without enunciating them fully
  2. n̥ is the same as English <n> but has that little circle below it so it's de-voiced, without being overly specific that just means that it's pronounced without vibrating your vocal cords, which is really hard to do if your first language doesn't do that (most don't)
  3. gʷ is the same as English <g> but is labialised, hence the superscript /w/, so a /g/ with the lips rounded when you pronounce it
  4. the last three are the same as they would be in English, the /i/ is pronounced the was the double-e in geese, or the y in happy is pronounced.
When it comes to which syllable to stress, don't worry about it. Suprasegmentals like stress are actually impossible to reconstruct, comparative linguists would need something in writing (usually poetry) for that, which they can never have because PIE was only a spoken language.

So that puts it at "hnhg(w)-nees", or "ənhɡ(w)-nees"