For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

Congo.jpg

Kind of surprised they didn't change the name of Lepoldstadt considering how the Konogolese were treated by Leopold II.

Country profile - Bunyoro-Kitara
Bunyoro-Kitara is a country in Eastern Africa. it is bordered by the Nile Republic in the north and east, Busoga in the east, Buganda and Tooro-Rwenzururu in the south and Lake Albert in the West.

History

Established by the Bantus after the downfall of the Chwezi Empire in the early 14th Century, Bunyoro-Kitara was among the many kingdoms of the Great Lakes area, having lost much of its powers in the first half of the 19th century. Home to the Banyoro and Bagungu peoples, the small kingdom was placed under British protectorate in 1894, before being integrated into the Uganda protectorate in 1901, before gaining back its own independence first as a British protectorate in 1966, then as a sovereign country in 1976. Shortly after its independence, the kingdom lost a short war (1979-1980) against Buganda, ever living since under the bigger neighbour’s yoke.

Politics

A constitutional monarchy, Bunyoro-Kitara is still effectively an absolute monarchy, its Prime Minister, Andrew Kirungi Byakutaga Ateenyi, having only ceremonial and administrative powers and no parliamentary body to answer to. The Omukama of Bunyoro-Kitara has been Solomon Iguru since 25 January 1971, having succeeded his father Winyi IV and has led the country since independence from Great Britain. A sacred monarch and one of the longest-ruling heads of state nowadays, Iguru has defined himself as a father for his subjects and an enlightened despot, paying respect to his powerful overlord in Buganda while promoting development for his country since his capital in Hoima.

Population

A quite densely populated country, Bunyoro-Kitara is dominated by two ethnic groups, the Banyoros and Bagangus, who use Nyoro as their language and were christianized by the British in the late 19th century, while still living under tribal customs in the countryside ; the capital and largest city, Hoima, is still growing but rather small. More than half of the Banyoro population is illiterate in spite of World Council development aids.

Economy

A stable and mostly rural country, Bunyoro-Kitara relies heavily on agriculture and tourism, while making a name for itself thanks to its proximity next to Lake Albert and its natural resources, concentrated in oil, gas, iron ore and precious stones. Even if most revenues from mining benefit for the royal family and neighboring Buganda, most of the kingdom relies on tourism, with world-renowned safaris and big game hunting, and also agriculture, with bananas, millet, cassava, yams, cotton, tobacco, coffee and rice forming most of the cultures and exports. Nevertheless, more than 90 % of the population is considered as living below the poverty line.

Military

The Banyoro Army is quite unnoticeable, managing its own defense while relying heavily on the strength of Buganda.

Culture

A peaceful country making a name for itself thanks to the beauty of its lands, Bunyoro-Kitara is also heavily Christianized, including for its royal family, even if folk traditions are heavily relying on Bantu customs and beliefs, being heavily studied by foreign anthropologists.

I see that Oswald Mosley has become prime ministers in this timeline, great job.

also are you doing in universe alternative history work’s in this timeline?
I will try, even if the exercise is difficult !
Of course Powell became PM in a universe like this. Oswald Mosley is interesting to see.

I’m glad to see Rab, Gatiskell, Smith, and Clarke as PMs.

British Pete Buttigieg!

I already knew Mick Jagger was PM at some point. Peter Shore I’ve heard about was an interesting leftist Labour politician.
Thank you much !
On that note, I am interested why he’s British ITTL and all that.

I looked it up, and it turns out that Mayor Pete's dad was Maltese. Thus, it's very feasbile that the Buttigiegs could've gone to Britain instead of America ITTL.
It was that : Buttigieg's father taught in England and his family remained there.
Kind of surprised they didn't change the name of Lepoldstadt considering how the Konogolese were treated by Leopold II.
It's the internationally-recognized name, the locals use Kinshasa.
Were there any changes apart from the additions post-Ali
Nothing at all !

Who was the first President of Japan ITTL and how did the Japanese people view the abolition of the monarchy here?
The first President of Japan was Morihiro Hosokawa.
About the abolition of the monarchy, it came as a relief to some as the Emperor was deeply unpopular and too connected to the military dictatorship. As of 2023, a majority of Japanese are supportive of a reinstatement of the Crown Prince, yet the souvenirs of the military regime, the incredible powers invested in the Emperor and the divide it provokes in Japanese society have ruled against any further move, after two consecutive referendums on the issue were voted down.
It seems that Vittorio Emmanuele IV was enforced to abdicate or abdicated voluntarely. Not big surprise if him has similar personality as in OTL.
Vittorio Emannuele IV went against his duty of confidentiality by becoming a member of the Pyrists when Crown Prince, and was forced to abdicate due to sexual scandals, association with the Mafia and funds embezzlement. He's as disgraced as Juan Carlos now, but instead of him, he was never that popular.

The first President of Japan was Morihiro Hosokawa.
About the abolition of the monarchy, it came as a relief to some as the Emperor was deeply unpopular and too connected to the military dictatorship. As of 2023, a majority of Japanese are supportive of a reinstatement of the Crown Prince, yet the souvenirs of the military regime, the incredible powers invested in the Emperor and the divide it provokes in Japanese society have ruled against any further move, after two consecutive referendums on the issue were voted down.
Considering Japan is a Republic ITTL, what became of Tatsuo Inoue as he is amongst the main advocates of republicanism in Japan IOTL?

Interesting. I don’t read much translated Wikipedia a lot.
Thanks! On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if he was someone who was a pivotal figure in pushing for a Japanese Republic ITTL with his OTL republican views and thus is a prominent politician in Japan here, maybe even becoming a President or PM of Japan here.