Crusader Kings III

Gj6fZog.png

I love playing as Poland. So much opportunity... but honestly the large-scale combat in CK3 is so cumbersome. The game would be much-improved by including the army management of EU4 or CK2. I ended up conceding my little bit of Brandenburg to the HRE just because I didn't feel like fighting a big war at the time. I took the rest of Pomerania because my sons (later brothers/uncles/whatever) had claims. I was inspired by the old propaganda posters about "We once reached to the west!" where Poland owns Lubeck. Conquered Lithuania since it was still pagan, stopped when they converted. Conquered Lwów to make Kazimierz proud (and because Kyiv is ruled by Khazars...)

I used the Bookmarks+ mod, which is SUBLIME if any of you haven't used it. It adds so much to the game, and I honestly can't imagine playing without it.

Bookmarks+ mod, my friend - ye shall never return thenceforth
I've subscribed - but I always still prefer official content to modded content, so I still hope Paradox adds it in the future!

Edit: I had a play around with it. I kind of wish it didn't change and add quite so much. For example, ten thousand new coat of arms emblems, including crap from Warhammer 40k. No thanks. I also don't like how it just fused Anglo-Saxon pagan terms into the Norse religion as though they were one in the same.

I hope religions are generally expanded upon in the future, though. I still have a fantasy of an Anglo-Saxon count reverting to paganism and going on a reconquest of England to expel the Catholic Church. "Asatru" just isn't the same thing, and none of the few mods I've found have really done enough (lacking events, decisions, and so on, or with grammatical errors my neurotic brain can't ignore).

Last edited:
It honestly mindblowing to me that base-game CK3 doesn't at least have all of the bookmarks CK2 did.

And sad...

The map is massively larger than base CK2 and some of those bookmarks came with DLC's. More broadly the devs have said the the overwhelming majority of CK2 starts were either 1066 (massive majority), 867 or 769 in that order with the post 1066 start dates a tiny minority. In a world of limited dev time and resources I would much rather have devs working at enhancing the game by bringing back Republics and modelling different systems of government more broadly.

The map is massively larger than base CK2 and some of those bookmarks came with DLC's. More broadly the devs have said the the overwhelming majority of CK2 starts were either 1066 (massive majority), 867 or 769 in that order with the post 1066 start dates a tiny minority. In a world of limited dev time and resources I would much rather have devs working at enhancing the game by bringing back Republics and modelling different systems of government more broadly.
If I remember correctly, Paradox has also said that they regretted the Charlyman start date in hindsight since the mechanics of CK2 didn't really fit the era. Hope the Iron Century and Third Crusade start dates come back eventually though.

I don't think the Iron Century start date was that popular so I'd be surprised if it returns. I would like to see the Third Crusade start date return though.

The map is massively larger than base CK2 and some of those bookmarks came with DLC's.
Weak argument. It's not that much bigger and there weren't even that many starts missing. Your other point about Devs deciding not to do it is a much better reason.
I would much rather have devs working at enhancing the game by bringing back Republics and modelling different systems of government more broadly.
Very true. CK3 is feature-bare. No curia, super-repetitive pilgrimages that are identical for most religions, lack of true Byzantine govt, lack of republics...the list goes on. Paradox loves to leave features out when games are supposed to improve on their predecessors.

The graphics of CK3 have made it impossible for me to go back to ck2 though!

Weak argument. It's not that much bigger and there weren't even that many starts missing. Your other point about Devs deciding not to do it is a much better reason.
It's twice as many, have a look at Africa and Persia especially.
CK3 is feature-bare. No curia, super-repetitive pilgrimages that are identical for most religions, lack of true Byzantine govt, lack of republics...the list goes on.
All of which are more important than start dates imho.
Paradox loves to leave features out when games are supposed to improve on their predecessors.
A more charitable interpretation is they develop games over a number of years. CK2 on launch 9 years before it's last update was a very different game that also didn't have a Curia, Republics,a good representation of the Byzantine government etc.

All of which are more important than start dates imho.
Yeah I was agreeing with you
A more charitable interpretation is they develop games over a number of years. CK2 on launch 9 years before it's last update was a very different game that also didn't have a Curia, Republics,a good representation of the Byzantine government etc.
Right so if Ck2 on launch was so long ago...why are you comparing to Ck2 on launch. If you release the next version of something, we usually expect it to be better than the last iteration.

Right so if Ck2 on launch was so long ago...why are you comparing to Ck2 on launch. If you release the next version of something, we usually expect it to be better than the last iteration.

CK3 was much better than CK2 ver 3.3.5.1 or at least it was after one or two patches. But the cost of going for a clean sheet new game with a new engine and many new mechanics is you don't have the time to replicate every feature that was in the previous, sprawling game.

Because it's really disingenuous to compare a game on release and a game that had almost a decade of constant post-release development. Comparing both on release at least gives a proper look at each in terms of baseline development. And in that respect, CK3 is much better than CK2. For one, Muslims, pagans, and other non-Christians are playable on release this time. I think a lot of people forget that they weren't in CK2 when comparing the features of the two games.

If I remember correctly, Paradox has also said that they regretted the Charlyman start date in hindsight since the mechanics of CK2 didn't really fit the era. Hope the Iron Century and Third Crusade start dates come back eventually though.
Also they have said that the amount of people who actually play anything other than the earliest start date is pretty insignificant. So new start dates end up being a ton of work for pretty much no reward.

Paradox has just announced another expansion for CK3: Tours and Tournament.

Here is the Dev Diary.

Essentially, they are adding travel to the game as an RP and gameplay element. All the existing events (Feasts, Hunts, Pilgrimmage) will be reworked to take that into account as you will now have to plan your route and select an entourage.

Weddings will apparently be a bit more complex as you can plan grand ceremonies with tons of events relating to it. You can even make the Red Wedding if you want...

Rulers will no be able to go on Tours to travel accross their realm and cement their authority.

There will also be tournaments in which you can take part, which apparently comes with new assets in terms of clothing and armor.

And finally... A new Regency system. After all, you need someone in charge while you are away. And the player can use his authority as regent to cement his career.

Of course it's just been announced so we still have to wait before seeing how deep these mechanics go. But personnally, that seems like a good addition.

Apart from the RP elements, holding court (and the various events like tourneys) were second inly to war in their cost and prestige.

Now if the mechanics can be built upon to get a proper itinerant monarchy it would make a historically authentic anti-blobbing mechanic and a way to differentiate early feudal from more centralized or late/medieval realms.

And finally... A new Regency system. After all, you need someone in charge while you are away. And the player can use his authority as regent to cement his career.
This is honestly the most interesting part to me. It certainly makes playing as a vassal more interesting, and hopefully with Wards and Wardens also coming the regency mechanic will apply to child-rulers as well.

To be honest, I was expecting something way more meaty - I'm more excited for that Life by You game, if it can do for The Sims what Cities: Skylines did for Sim City, it's going to be great. Paradox needs some competition of its own in the grand strategy field, they've begun to rest on their laurels IMO - that's why I'm also hyped for Grey Eminence, despite it being kind of... overly ambitious.

Argh paradox...stop making 3d menus that feel disconnected from the game...

I appreciate Regencies finally being worked on, and I like the sound of tours, pilgrimages, and tourneys. Finally we can have something to do instead of hunting and feasting!

The bloody wedding thing feels out of place and I don't really like the sound of it. Like when seduction was added and suddenly everyone is unfaithful.