Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I wonder if the new CRE will ensure that there is a "demolitions plan" for all at-risk ports to ensure all cranes and other critical infrastructure are destroyed upon sighting any invasion force?
and
A lot of this to my reading is still close to OTL.
Hi CB13 and Viper91, Brigadier Ivan Simson is as was historical, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Simson. He implemented a lot of fortification building while serving in the Scottish Command.

The 57th Madras Sappers & Miners Field Company, to join the 41st Indian Bde in Kelantan, and another two battalions of Indian Aux Pioneers, the 24th and 29th. These units are new, and the Aux Pioneers will help ease labour problems as you will read in future chapters.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
The Japanese had good landing craft similar to American Higgens boats, with drop ramps that can bring in supplies over a beach. They were very good at improvising and making do with less than Western forces would normally require.
Hi Belisarius, historically, the Japanese Army was well ahead of the rest of the world in regard to amphibious warfare, and the Americans took inspiration from the Daihatsu craft they used, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu-class_landing_craft.

A better example of how far advanced the Japanese were is the Shinshū Maru, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_amphibious_assault_ship_Shinshū_Maru

Last edited:
Yes, the Japanese will know the broad strokes of the changes, they probably however will miss just how much the the Imperial units have become better organised/trained ( both sides will tend to underestimate the other ). However logistics is the Achilles Heel of any invasion plan, the infrastructure is just not there to supply more units than OTL.
Its why any battle of attrition will quickly favour the Imperial forces, transporting stuff North from Singapore is far easier than trying to get stuff South via a couple of minor ports. Now they can still attack Burma as that does not use the same logistics but strengthening the push on Malaya is a case of changing the balance of the force, not its size.
Unfortunately, the Japanese had very detailed intel on Commonwealth forces, and how they were deployed. The Japanese had intelligence assets inside the Indian, and other Commonwealth forces, including a British army captain working as an air liaison officer. From Wiki

Intelligence operations[edit]​

See also: F Kikan
Planning for this offensive was undertaken by the Japanese Military Affairs Bureau's Unit 82 based in Taiwan. Intelligence on Malaya was gathered through a network of agents which included Japanese embassy staff; disaffected Malayans (particularly members of the Japanese-established Tortoise Society);[citation needed] and Japanese, Korean, and Taiwanese business people and tourists. Japanese spies, which included a British intelligence officer, Captain Patrick Stanley Vaughan Heenan, also provided intelligence and assistance.[17]

Prior to hostilities Japanese intelligence officers like Iwaichi Fujiwara had established covert intelligence offices (or Kikans) that linked up with the Malay and Indian pro-independence organisations such as Kesatuan Melayu Muda in Malaya Indian Independence League. The Japanese gave these movements financial support in return for their members providing intelligence and later assistance in determining Allied troop movements, strengths, and dispositions prior to the invasion.[18]

Through the operation of these networks prior to the invasion the Japanese knew where the Commonwealth forces were based and their unit strengths, had good maps of Malaya, and had local guides available to provide them with directions.[19]

If the Commonwealth forces are reinforced, and redeployed, or if their training program is changed the Japanese will have a good idea what's happening. On their side the Allies had very little knowledge of Japanese plans, and capabilities. Their assessment of Japanese air power was particularly dismissive. Again, from Wiki

As a lower-priority theatre, the Allies had comparatively few modern aircraft to challenge the Japanese. In addition the Allies did not consider Japanese aircraft a significant threat. In 1941 the Allies assumed that Japan would only have a few hundred poor quality outdated aircraft. The respected Janes All the World's Aircraft for 1941 indicated that the Japanese only had a cluster of dated foreign and indigenous aircraft. Japanese pilots were also underrated, considered unlikely to make particularly good pilots.[22]

Prior to the invasion on 8 December there were 75 Allied aircraft stationed in northern Malaya and 83 in Singapore. The only fighter squadron in northern Malaya was No 21 Squadron RAAF that was equipped with 12 Brewster Buffalos.[23] The Japanese had at least 459 aircraft available.
[24]

Something to think about. Nothing happens in a vacuum. With all the changes in Malaya, especially the RN. Adm. Hart CiC Asiatic Fleet He regularly visited the British base at Singapore to meet his opposite number either on the Houston, or via PBY. He is going to report this to Adm King. 2 things about King, is distaste for the British, the other not want to be shown up by the British. In my opinion King will loosen Hart from MacArthur's tether, allowing patrols closer to Formosa by submarines and PBYs. Now giving Hart his wish list , I think the only possibility is the early movement of the 4thMarines and integration with the existing Marine battalions and detachments. Perhaps even getting to keep his own USMC search radar.

Something to think about. Nothing happens in a vacuum. With all the changes in Malaya, especially the RN. Adm. Hart CiC Asiatic Fleet He regularly visited the British base at Singapore to meet his opposite number either on the Houston, or via PBY. He is going to report this to Adm King. 2 things about King, is distaste for the British, the other not want to be shown up by the British. In my opinion King will loosen Hart from MacArthur's tether, allowing patrols closer to Formosa by submarines and PBYs. Now giving Hart his wish list , I think the only possibility is the early movement of the 4thMarines and integration with the existing Marine battalions and detachments. Perhaps even getting to keep his own USMC search radar.

I think this is a great point.....

IIRC Hart served with Mac's brother in the Navy and did not seem to be impressed with Douglas when he was Asiatic fleet commander. That also might help King getting FDR to loosen the strings attached to Hart's command with Mac's command by letting King know the problems Mac was.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I admire your efforts Butchpfd, but you've not convinced me that the changes in the British defence, compared to as was historically, are enough to warrant any change to what happens in the Philippines, and its going to have to be a very good reason to bring about a change in the American stance in the Philippines, because I'd rather not incur any ripples from there, trying hard to keep things simple. Most certainly, changes to what happened historically with the Americans in the Philippines, are going to happen, but the later the better for me, and ideally, not before the shooting starts.

MWI 41080713 The Singapore Chinese March By

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Thursday 07 August;

The building of Camp Fuyong, just outside Seremban, was complete now, the wooden barracks could accommodate 1,200 troops, while there was cleared land for another 1,500 under tents if so required. And it was here that they had chosen to base the forming and recruitment of the Singapore Chinese Regiment. On the other side of the branch railway line was a large maintenance workshop for the RASC, both served by the newly built railway sidings.

Today the camp was hosting Lord Gort, who stood on a small podium and took the salute, as the newly formed 1st battalion Singapore (Chinese) Regt marched by. Led by their CO, Lt Col James Oliphant Mackellar, formerly of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, the troops marched with a crisp steady tread, a credit to all the training on the parade ground. At the head of his platoon, in No 2 company, marched Lieutenant Billy Dixon, recently promoted from second lieutenant, and in the platoon behind him was his new friend 2nd Lieutenant Andy Nethercott, a SSVF transfer by way of the OTCU, who he was mentoring. After the parade they would have four days leave, and Andy had invited him back to his family home in Singapore to show him around, after which it was off to the Australian Infantry School at Malacca, where they would begin real training, in the field, in companies and as a complete battalion.

The battalion had taken some time to form, training in Camp Fuyong had begun back in early November 1940, but they had only started building the camp in the previous month and training had been hampered by the very building of the camp around them as they trained. The Regiment had received a considerable number of Chinese transferred from the transforming SSVF and disbanding FMSVF Regiments, with senior officers seconded and junior officers fresh from the OCTU in Singapore.

The training of the Chinese recruits was by NCO’s and Officers seconded into the training program, the recruits being formed into 40-man platoons, with six weeks basic training being given, followed by a further six weeks as infantrymen. At this stage those identified as NCO material had been given a further 6 weeks. The rest had been formed into companies, and limited company training had begun. The battalion wasn’t quite up to full strength, but a fifth company was already being formed, and it was hoped to have a second battalion raised early in the new year. Equipment was sparse, just side arms, rifles, and just a single Lewis light machine gun per platoon at the moment, but more equipment was on order.

The whole affair had been watched by a large crowd, most of the high society of the Chinese community in Singapore had taken the train up here to attend, a number of their son’s stood erect on the parade ground in the uniform of a second Lieutenant. Indeed, the one thing which really struck Gort was the enthusiasm the Chinese had, many more had wanted to join than they had places for, they were quick to learn, eager to be soldiers, and wore their uniform with pride.

With Lord Gort in overall command, overall strengthening of Malaya being the first priority for his command, I do think that whatever fortifications Major Simson proposes would not be rejected ITTL.

In regards to availlable forces, how close are the British to the planned 40 battalions, as the Chinese battalion has completed its basic training. WRT Marmon-Herrington ACs that have arrived, when are their crews planned to arrive? I believe that IOTL these ended up being used by Volunters, and I do wonder what their impact would be, if intended Unit used them in combat, the Australian cav. Rgt.

Even if far from adequate the efforts that have been made by the British, have certainly outmatched their OTL efforts. I mean, it started with a couple of battalions of local troops, 4 subs, and some reorganization with squadrons being pledged in the future, once they are raised. It has snowballed quite a bit...

Excellent work!

IIRC Hart served with Mac's brother in the Navy and did not seem to be impressed with Douglas when he was Asiatic fleet commander. That also might help King getting FDR to loosen the strings attached to Hart's command with Mac's command by letting King know the problems Mac was.
Hart was MacArthur's brother Arthur, who died I. 1927, best friend. Hart was the only man known, after Arthur's death who could , and did call Mac Arthur Douglas! On December 8th he sent his fleet to war., ordered Manila Bay evacuated, and began moving what he could to Marivales on Bataan. .

Last edited:
Hart was MacArthur's brother Arthur, who died I. 1927, best friend. Hart was the only man known, after Arthur's death who could , and did call Mac Arthur Douglas! On December 8th he sent his fleet to war., ordered Manila Bay evacuated, began moving what he could to Miron Bataan. Bataan.
The only practical thing to do in the Philippines is to stick to the original plan to evacuate to Bataan. The forces being raised to defend all of Luzon weren't going to be ready till the spring, so for the time being Bataan is the best bet. That means two things, first stockpiling supplies needs to proceed, no matter what bureaucratic issues stand in the way, and limit the number of civilians who will be allowed to join the army. If the army hadn't been on short rations from the start the original goal of holding out for 6 months might have been achieved.

Holding Bataan till June would be enormously embarrassing to the Japanese, effecting troop schedules, and probably ending with the relief of General Homma. Weather this effects the Bataan Death March is problematic, but it will if nothing else buy more time to get the resistance movement going.

Driftless

Donor
The only practical thing to do in the Philippines is to stick to the original plan to evacuate to Bataan. The forces being raised to defend all of Luzon weren't going to be ready till the spring, so for the time being Bataan is the best bet. That means two things, first stockpiling supplies needs to proceed, no matter what bureaucratic issues stand in the way, and limit the number of civilians who will be allowed to join the army. If the army hadn't been on short rations from the start the original goal of holding out for 6 months might have been achieved.

Holding Bataan till June would be enormously embarrassing to the Japanese, effecting troop schedules, and probably ending with the relief of General Homma. Weather this effects the Bataan Death March is problematic, but it will if nothing else buy more time to get the resistance movement going.
My understanding is that part of the problem for the troops that endured the Death March is that not enough of the planned rations made it to Bataan, so many were suffering from malnutrition and diseases that accompany lack of nutrition and that situation compounded the losses on the March. Get more food to Bataan earlier, perhaps the forces have better health, even if on tight rations, but which constraint causes eventual surrender: lack of food or lack of ammo. If it's lack of ammo, then the troops start the March in better physical condition. But..... What is the Japanese command response towards the prisoners, after being stymied from their original plan and schedule? That could be just delaying a great evil....

WP Orange also called for a more aggressive scouting plan by USN subs and aviation. However Mac Arthur being made Commander all U.S. Forces Far East put him over Admiral Hart, and Mac did not want to " provoke Japan" so he could build his army ( to be completed mid 1943).Hart's subs and planes were not to approach any nearer then 50 miles of Formosa, not allowed to mine possible landing beaches( upset locals)plus mining in Philippines was under Army Costal Artillery command. Mac Arthur order Hart's Marine Corps operated search radar moved from Cavite 100km South, preventing it from warning Cavite of the Japanese attack, until aircraft were visually sighted. Ironically this radar detachment survived and made it to Bataan where it operated until the end of the siege when it was destroyed. Mac Arthur cluster f'ed from mid summer on.

My understanding is that part of the problem for the troops that endured the Death March is that not enough of the planned rations made it to Bataan, so many were suffering from malnutrition and diseases that accompany lack of nutrition and that situation compounded the losses on the March. Get more food to Bataan earlier, perhaps the forces have better health, even if on tight rations, but which constraint causes eventual surrender: lack of food or lack of ammo. If it's lack of ammo, then the troops start the March in better physical condition. But..... What is the Japanese command response towards the prisoners, after being stymied from their original plan and schedule? That could be just delaying a great evil....
When Mac Arthur decided , against all advice to g to a forward defense he moved supplies forward, and held supplies south of Manila, until too late. The decision to retreat to Bataan was not made until the Japanese landed at Lingayen Gulf outflanking all Mac Arthur's forward forces forcing a retreat. In reality Mac Arthur's only real mobile force were an ad hoc regiment of 2 Battalions of M-3 Light Tanks, 1 Ordinance Gun Company with 75mm guns on M-3 Half Tracks; and the Mounted 26 Cavalry, Philippine Scouts. The decision to move the food was the same time that civilian government decided to evacuate Manila, leading to massive traffic jams.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
In regards to availlable forces, how close are the British to the planned 40 battalions, as the Chinese battalion has completed its basic training. WRT Marmon-Herrington ACs that have arrived, when are their crews planned to arrive? I believe that IOTL these ended up being used by Volunters, and I do wonder what their impact would be, if intended Unit used them in combat, the Australian cav. Rgt.
Hi Triune Kingdom, the planned 40 battalions (infantry) was a figure Lt Gen Lionel Bond put forward in April 1940, plus 3 machine gun battalions and 2 tank regiments, to defend Malaya and Singapore. He said, as an alternative, recognising that was not a practical solution, if the RAF was made absolutely responsible for the defence, then only 25 battalions would be needed. Note the word absolutely, the Army and RAF were on really bad terms at this time in Malaya.

On the 2nd August 1941, Lt Gen Percival gave his view on what forces were needed to defend Malaya, taking into consideration the poor resources the RAF had provided. He wanted 48 battalions, plus supporting units, including the 2 tank Regts, although 3 infantry battalions were earmarked for Borneo.

Currently, I think I have 30 infantry battalions, oh and no tank regiments!

MWI 41080802 Torpedoes Away

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Friday 08 August;

It was their first training night attack as a flotilla, and since they had moved from Hong Kong there had been some changes to personnel so there was a nervous air about it all. The plan was to attack in two divisions of 4 boats but working as pairs. They would lay up awaiting the convoy to sail by, and then one division would attack from seaward the other from inshore, simple really. Lt Cmdr Gandy, the Flotilla’s CO, had the seaward side with MTBs 7 & 8 and 9 & 10, while Lt Collingwood had the inshore division with boats 11 & 12 and the smaller 26 & 27.

Gandy stood there on the little bridge of MTB 10, feet braced as the boat rolled in a light swell, watching and listening to the sights and sounds around him. He could hear his petrol engines idling, waves slapping against the hull, he could make out the outline of MTB 9, his pair. There was a quarter moon, and the little light it gave outlined the coast in front of him. About 1000 yards on his port would be Lt Ashby and MTBs 7 & 8.

They saw the convoy coming from their starboard side before they heard it, initially a small coastal steamer, and then 700 yards behind a Chinese river steamer. They were sailing a lot further out from the coast than he had anticipated, he needed to pull back a bit to let the first one pass, he would target the second steamer. He waved over to Kennedy in 9 and told him to follow, and then ordered his coxswain to turn the boat seawards and at low revs pull away.

Opposite Gandy was Collingwood, lying in a small cove with 11 and 12. It had seemed a good idea getting close in to the shore meant very little swell, but the moon was of no help, the sea in front was ink black. They didn’t see the first steamer sail by, and it was too far out for them to hear it, so they waited in ignorance.

Ashby also saw the first ship of the convoy, and also realised he need to pull back a bit. He signalled with a wave over to Kilbee in 8 and then told his coxswain to turn to port and low revs pull away. Suddenly, bang, the boat violently rolled and there was 8, her bow trying to ride over him, before she slid sideways and away. “Fuck we’ve been holed sir, Johnny quick shove that tarp in the hole” his stoker was calling from the engine compartment to his mate. Ashby looked over to Kilbee, who was laying rear end on to them. He could hear Kilbee calling “I’m terribly sorry old chap, I think we’ve gone and rather done some damage to our boat, I think I might need a tow”. Bloody ell thought Ashby, Gandy will crucify us both. “Ok hold on a mo, let me see what I can do” and he began assessing the damage and organising a tow, with a rising feeling of sickness in his stomach.

Gandy was looking back, and could see the first steamer had passed, and the second was coming up nicely. He motioned to Kennedy, 30 yards away, and told his coxswain to turn. Both boats turned nicely and now turned on the power. Immediately the noise level increased tenfold, as the three big Napier engines worked up to full power and drove the boats forward. Quickly they were in the attack position, just as a star shell exploded to their rear and left.

“Throttle back the engines Swain, extend the torpedo rigs” two sailors unfolded the latticed frames and called ready as Gandy looked to the back of the boat, “ports open” he called, and waited for the affirmative, then, “release torpedoes”. Down in the engine room, the two sailors who had opened the rear ports, pretended to release the torpedo catches and counted to three, imagining the torpedoes sliding down the rails, their engines beginning to cough into life, and clearing the ports, sliding along the lattice rig, into the sea. They cried torpedoes away and closed their ports. Gandy turned forwards “Full revs, hard starboard swain” as sailors at the rear pulled up the lattice rigs.

The 60-foot Scott Paine boat quickly picked up speed, Gandy called above the engine noise to his coxswain, “Ok swain take her around the stern of the steamer” Both MTBs charged pass the stern and headed away into the black night, success!

The roaring engines, the star shell, all kind of startled Collingwood, he’d seen nothing. He signalled over to Lt Colls in 12, follow me and called for full power. He guessed the ship he could see was the lead ship of what he was expecting was a two-ship convoy, so driving straight ahead he should quickly find the second steamer. But he had guessed wrong and only when they heard and saw Gandy come by, did he realise they had completely missed the convoy. Bugger, it had seemed such a simple thing, how could it go so wrong, and what would Gandy say. He could already hear Gandy in his mind berating him, in private as he did, and it wasn’t something he was looking forward to.

Wagstaff with the smaller Thornycroft 55-foot boats, 26 and 27 hadn’t got so close to the shore, there was a small finger of land jutting out and he didn’t know how deep the water was, so he had laid off the finger, and hadn’t hidden behind it. They had laid there some time and he was beginning to think the convoy wasn’t coming, until Parsons in 27 called over, and then he saw her as well. He recognised the silhouette immediately, HMS Siang Wo, his target and their mother ship, playing the role of the enemy. He waved over to Parsons and both boats roared into life and began the charge forwards. A star shell exploded high in the sky, silhouetting the Siang Wo even better.

Now came the tricky part, he liked their firing position, and had the coxswain reduced speed, wait for it, just a bit more, and fire torpedo’s. then the count, three, two, one, torpedoes clear, gun the engines and the two Thornycroft’s, quickly veer out of the way of the torpedoes as their internal engines kicked in.

Now he had them turn to port, Parson behind, racing along, sea spray on his face and joy in his heart. “Ship on port bow” another gun roared and a starshell exploded and he was sure he was as lit up as a Christmas tree. He could see the ship now, HMS Tien Kwang a coastal tanker now in his majesty’s service. The elation in him died, he knew Gandy was going to roast him for this, he’d say he was showing off, it would never be believed he had made an honest mistake. The mode of operation was torpedoes away and then you got away, don’t hang around, and here he was undertaking some kind of sail by!

Commodore Fraser, commanding officer of the Western Squadron stood on the bridge of HMS Siang Wo, alongside its captain, watching. He wasn’t privy to everything that had gone on, but like Gandy in MTB 10, things had seemed pretty good. They’d know more when they met up at dawn in a few hours and had a debrief. What he did know was he was so pleased to be away from that bloody office, and when Layton had suggested on his visit to Penang, he should go on exercise with the 2nd MTB Flotilla, he’d thought it was a great idea. His breakfast, along with many others was going to be spoiled.

1941, Friday 08 August;

It was their first training night attack as a flotilla, and since they had moved from Hong Kong there had been some changes to personnel so there was a nervous air about it all. The plan was to attack in two divisions of 4 boats but working as pairs. They would lay up awaiting the convoy to sail by, and then one division would attack from seaward the other from inshore, simple really. Lt Cmdr Gandy, the Flotilla’s CO, had the seaward side with MTBs 7 & 8 and 9 & 10, while Lt Collingwood had the inshore division with boats 11 & 12 and the smaller 26 & 27.

Gandy stood there on the little bridge of MTB 10, feet braced as the boat rolled in a light swell, watching and listening to the sights and sounds around him. He could hear his petrol engines idling, waves slapping against the hull, he could make out the outline of MTB 9, his pair. There was a quarter moon, and the little light it gave outlined the coast in front of him. About 1000 yards on his port would be Lt Ashby and MTBs 7 & 8.

They saw the convoy coming from their starboard side before they heard it, initially a small coastal steamer, and then 700 yards behind a Chinese river steamer. They were sailing a lot further out from the coast than he had anticipated, he needed to pull back a bit to let the first one pass, he would target the second steamer. He waved over to Kennedy in 9 and told him to follow, and then ordered his coxswain to turn the boat seawards and at low revs pull away.

Opposite Gandy was Collingwood, lying in a small cove with 11 and 12. It had seemed a good idea getting close in to the shore meant very little swell, but the moon was of no help, the sea in front was ink black. They didn’t see the first steamer sail by, and it was too far out for them to hear it, so they waited in ignorance.

Ashby also saw the first ship of the convoy, and also realised he need to pull back a bit. He signalled with a wave over to Kilbee in 8 and then told his coxswain to turn to port and low revs pull away. Suddenly, bang, the boat violently rolled and there was 8, her bow trying to ride over him, before she slid sideways and away. “Fuck we’ve been holed sir, Johnny quick shove that tarp in the hole” his stoker was calling from the engine compartment to his mate. Ashby looked over to Kilbee, who was laying rear end on to them. He could hear Kilbee calling “I’m terribly sorry old chap, I think we’ve gone and rather done some damage to our boat, I think I might need a tow”. Bloody ell thought Ashby, Gandy will crucify us both. “Ok hold on a mo, let me see what I can do” and he began assessing the damage and organising a tow, with a rising feeling of sickness in his stomach.

Gandy was looking back, and could see the first steamer had passed, and the second was coming up nicely. He motioned to Kennedy, 30 yards away, and told his coxswain to turn. Both boats turned nicely and now turned on the power. Immediately the noise level increased tenfold, as the three big Napier engines worked up to full power and drove the boats forward. Quickly they were in the attack position, just as a star shell exploded to their rear and left.

“Throttle back the engines Swain, extend the torpedo rigs” two sailors unfolded the latticed frames and called ready as Gandy looked to the back of the boat, “ports open” he called, and waited for the affirmative, then, “release torpedoes”. Down in the engine room, the two sailors who had opened the rear ports, pretended to release the torpedo catches and counted to three, imagining the torpedoes sliding down the rails, their engines beginning to cough into life, and clearing the ports, sliding along the lattice rig, into the sea. They cried torpedoes away and closed their ports. Gandy turned forwards “Full revs, hard starboard swain” as sailors at the rear pulled up the lattice rigs.

The 60-foot Scott Paine boat quickly picked up speed, Gandy called above the engine noise to his coxswain, “Ok swain take her around the stern of the steamer” Both MTBs charged pass the stern and headed away into the black night, success!

The roaring engines, the star shell, all kind of startled Collingwood, he’d seen nothing. He signalled over to Lt Colls in 12, follow me and called for full power. He guessed the ship he could see was the lead ship of what he was expecting was a two-ship convoy, so driving straight ahead he should quickly find the second steamer. But he had guessed wrong and only when they heard and saw Gandy come by, did he realise they had completely missed the convoy. Bugger, it had seemed such a simple thing, how could it go so wrong, and what would Gandy say. He could already hear Gandy in his mind berating him, in private as he did, and it wasn’t something he was looking forward to.

Wagstaff with the smaller Thornycroft 55-foot boats, 26 and 27 hadn’t got so close to the shore, there was a small finger of land jutting out and he didn’t know how deep the water was, so he had laid off the finger, and hadn’t hidden behind it. They had laid there some time and he was beginning to think the convoy wasn’t coming, until Parsons in 27 called over, and then he saw her as well. He recognised the silhouette immediately, HMS Siang Wo, his target and their mother ship, playing the role of the enemy. He waved over to Parsons and both boats roared into life and began the charge forwards. A star shell exploded high in the sky, silhouetting the Siang Wo even better.

Now came the tricky part, he liked their firing position, and had the coxswain reduced speed, wait for it, just a bit more, and fire torpedo’s. then the count, three, two, one, torpedoes clear, gun the engines and the two Thornycroft’s, quickly veer out of the way of the torpedoes as their internal engines kicked in.

Now he had them turn to port, Parson behind, racing along, sea spray on his face and joy in his heart. “Ship on port bow” another gun roared and a starshell exploded and he was sure he was as lit up as a Christmas tree. He could see the ship now, HMS Tien Kwang a coastal tanker now in his majesty’s service. The elation in him died, he knew Gandy was going to roast him for this, he’d say he was showing off, it would never be believed he had made an honest mistake. The mode of operation was torpedoes away and then you got away, don’t hang around, and here he was undertaking some kind of sail by!

Commodore Fraser, commanding officer of the Western Squadron stood on the bridge of HMS Siang Wo, alongside its captain, watching. He wasn’t privy to everything that had gone on, but like Gandy in MTB 10, things had seemed pretty good. They’d know more when they met up at dawn in a few hours and had a debrief. What he did know was he was so pleased to be away from that bloody office, and when Layton had suggested on his visit to Penang, he should go on exercise with the 2nd MTB Flotilla, he’d thought it was a great idea. His breakfast, along with many others was going to be spoiled.
Well done my friend. You have a good grasp of what's involved. You have to ambush the convoy, which means remaining undetected till the last possible moment, which is no easy task. I liked how your boat captains kept their engines quite to not to give themselves away. The problem is if the enemy comes in further away than you predicted you have to rev up your engines to close with them, and the noise may give you away. A dark night is good for hiding in, but makes it harder to find your targets in. Communication between boats, especially out of earshot is a big problem.

In action the Japanese will have small escort vessels that the MTB's have to get past. Once someone spotted a flare goes up and all hell breaks loose. Remember they have to aim the boat, that is point the boat at where they expect the target will be. This means the captain has to estimate range to target, course, and speed, and time it will take for the torpedo run. That's a lot do in your head, while you're trying to con the boat, and maintain situational awareness. Consequentially torpedo range is short, most likely well under 1,000 yards. This all takes a lot of training, and no small amount of luck. PT Boats were effective, but nowhere near as effective as shown in the movies.