I mean, there's also the possibility that he were to resign: he absolutely depended on Nancy to keep him on a steady tiller. For all of Reagan's hard-edged conservatism, he was a romantic at heart. It's part of why he got on with Margaret Thatcher so well. It's hard to imagine, but she too had this sort of romantic view of things, definitely with Denis Thatcher, but also used those aspects of her elsewhere; hence Mitterand's famous quote, "She's got the eyes of Caligula and the mouth of Marilyn Monroe."
Now that you say that I could see a situation similar to Woodrow Wilson's wife happen if Reagan doesn't fully recover from the assassination attempt. Obviously the Vice president doesn't have as many duties as the President but I could 100% see a scenario where Nancy, in her role as Second Life, keeps her husband out of the spotlight or even make the decision for example how Reagan should vote on a tiebreaker.

Now that you say that I could see a situation similar to Woodrow Wilson's wife happen if Reagan doesn't fully recover from the assassination attempt. Obviously the Vice president doesn't have as many duties as the President but I could 100% see a scenario where Nancy, in her role as Second Life, keeps her husband out of the spotlight or even make the decision for example how Reagan should vote on a tiebreaker.
Given who got shot where, Nancy is highly unlikely to be in that scenario. Without getting too spoiler-y, keep in mind the multiple permutations of the 25th Amendment that exist. Nixon and Connally both used Section 2. Section 1 was used de facto in Nixon's conviction. There's four sections. Technically, Section 4 only applies to the President, but theoretically, section 2 can shoehorn in for section 4 to be used on the Veep. I'm actually waiting for a con law attorney I know to reply to me on this, but that's my working theory from a political standpoint, where I have more experience.

Given who got shot where, Nancy is highly unlikely to be in that scenario. Without getting too spoiler-y, keep in mind the multiple permutations of the 25th Amendment that exist. Nixon and Connally both used Section 2. Section 1 was used de facto in Nixon's conviction. There's four sections. Technically, Section 4 only applies to the President, but theoretically, section 2 can shoehorn in for section 4 to be used on the Veep. I'm actually waiting for a con law attorney I know to reply to me on this, but that's my working theory from a political standpoint, where I have more experience.
😮👀

Well that clearly bodes ill for Ronnie

Well that clearly bodes ill for Ronnie
It's going to be discussed in the counsel's office. Tip O'Neill and Mike Mansfield are also going to weigh in, since they have to certify any such move. It doesn't mean that he will be removed, but in the immediate aftermath here, paranoia will infect the thought process.

Headlines!
3-5-75 NYT.jpg

I have to say, TimesMachine from the NYT is one of the best alt-history resources on Earth. The way you can get these HQ scans that, with the proper fonts, can create a good facsimile of the legitimate front page is my favorite thing. It adds a realism to all of it.
Two headlines and subheads were from the real-life attempt on Ford, the other two at the bottom left did run OTL March 5, 1975, on the front page below the fold.

If Reagan doesn't make it, who are the most likely candidates for Connally's next VP? Connally needs someone that can appeal to the Right in a similar way like Reagan can. I was thinking Paul Laxalt would be the frontrunner given his friendship with Reagan, but he was just defeated by Harry Reid in the Nevada Senate Election. Connally may be turned off from picking Laxalt as you preferably want someone who has a record of being electable.

If Reagan doesn't make it, who are the most likely candidates for Connally's next VP? Connally needs someone that can appeal to the Right in a similar way like Reagan can. I was thinking Paul Laxalt would be the frontrunner given his friendship with Reagan, but he was just defeated by Harry Reid in the Nevada Senate Election. Connally may be turned off from picking Laxalt as you preferably want someone who has a record of being electable.
Bill Brock, James Buckley, Bob Dole, Daniel Evans.

Bill Brock, James Buckley, Bob Dole, Daniel Evans.
Bob Dole lost his Senate seat and has the baggage of voting against convicting Nixon.

James Buckley also has the baggage of voting against convicting Nixon.

The Right will detest the idea of replacing Reagan with Daniel Evans, who they will deem too liberal.

Bill Brock seems inoffensive, which sometimes is all you need in a running mate.

Or, you know, if it came to it....Gerald Ford. 👀
What if . . . Connally gets Ford confirmed as VP and goes to California to pay respects to Reagan. During Reagan's funeral, Sara Jane Moore assassinates Connally and Ford becomes President.

We've truly come full circle.

In all seriousness, this is an amazing timeline! My favorite moment in TTL so far is Ford giving a rousing speech that rallies support for Nixon's impeachment. It's a great contrast to how in OTL, Ford pardoned Nixon, preventing Nixon from ever being held accountable for his crimes.

Last edited:
Gerald Ford with extra steps
Now that I think about it, those extra steps would help Ford. Ford would have an easier time getting the GOP presidential nomination without a primary challenge from Reagan. Also, both Reagan and Connally getting assassinated would likely create a sympathy vote effect for Ford. Ford would definitely make the argument that we should vote for him in order to not rock the boat.

What if . . . Connally gets Ford confirmed as VP and goes to California to pay respects to Reagan. During Reagan's funeral, Sara Jane Moore assassinates Connally and Ford becomes President.

We've truly come full circle.

In all seriousness, this is an amazing timeline! My favorite moment in TTL so far is Ford giving a rousing speech that rallies support for Nixon's impeachment. It's a great contrast to how in OTL, Ford pardoned Nixon, preventing Nixon from ever being held accountable for his crimes.
Sara Jane won't get within a mile of Connally. This is far too close for a survivor of the Kennedy assassination. The detail will be much tighter now.

Sara Jane won't get within a mile of Connally. This is far too close for a survivor of the Kennedy assassination. The detail will be much tighter now.
True, but Ford becoming president despite the circumstances was just a silly thought of mine. Besides, the timeline is about a Connally presidency, so it wouldn't make sense to have him get assassinated as it would cut the main act short.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, those extra steps would help Ford. Ford would have an easier time getting the GOP presidential nomination without a primary challenge from Reagan. Also, both Reagan and Connally getting assassinated would likely create a sympathy vote effect for Ford. Ford would definitely make the argument that we should vote for him in order to not rock the boat.
Plot twist is this TL is secretly a Fordwank and we're going for a more successful Ford presidency under circumstances better suited to it.

I think the other direction is more likely. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Veep Ford or Baker, both of whom would be fairly easily confirmed.