Get Animated!: The History of Animax in the United States

2002 PART ONE - The Origin of Animax
INTERVIEW WITH STEVE MOSKO - September 14, 2022, the 20th Anniversary of Animax

Steve Mosko: Back in 2001, I was heading Columbia Tristar Television, which was a subsidiary of Sony. (chuckles) Still is, actually, just under a different name.

Interviewer: How did the idea for Animax come about?

Steve Mosko: The idea for Animax actually originated in Japan, as an anime TV channel owned by Sony and several anime producers. It had been quite successful there, and we saw potential in expanding it internationally. So we used the brand for our own series of "do-it-yourself" kids blocks, which basically meant you could pick two or more shows from Columbia Tristar's lineup at the time- you know, Ghostbusters, Godzilla, Men in Black, Jackie Chan... I think we had Transformers at the time? But, you know, the one with the CGI animals? That one. But only overseas. Anyway, pick at least two of them, and you get a big shiny Animax graphics package to tie them together. And that did very well internationally, but we wanted to launch Animax in the biggest market yet... the United States. We tried the DIY block approach first, through syndication, but none of the stations we pitched it to wanted it. "Nobody watches syndicated toons anymore," they all said. "The big toon money's in cable." And they were right.

Interviewer: What was the process like for launching the channel in the United States?

Steve Mosko: It was a challenging process, as we were competing with other major movie studios that already owned their own channels that either focused on or aired a lot of animation... mainly for kids. You had Paramount with Nickelodeon and then Nicktoons, Warner with Cartoon Network and Boomerang, at the time you had Fox with Fox Family, and Disney with... well, Toon Disney. Now Disney X-D or Disney LOL or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. And at some point the main Disney Channel aired cartoons. Why don't they air cartoons much anymore? Disney was a famous animator, for god's sake! (chuckles) So anyway, we decided to team up with Universal, who was also looking to get into the kids business. Actually, I think it was Universal who had the idea of the hybrid channel, since they were having real trouble. We were doing okay, a lot of toon flops on our end, but a couple of hits as well. Universal? Flop after flop after flop, and 90% of that was on the networks. Because why air toons from a competing studio when you can air toons from your own? So Universal had had enough, and decided to try their hand at their own cable channel. But they didn't actually have enough to fill a channel on our own. Neither did we, and they knew it. So with nobody else wanting to team up, we had one of one option. But even that was barely enough, so we needed some third party shows. The Program Exchange... that was a good one. It was barter syndication, so you aired a certain number of commercials for a certain company per show- General Mills, in this case- and in exchange, you got these shows for free. And what shows they were! Garfield, Rocky and Bullwinkle... hell, even Sailor Moon! Cartoon Network had the cable rights to Sailor Moon at the time, but they were losing interest. Still don't know why... these shows were huge hits! Sailor Moon in particular... it and Dragon Ball got Toonami off the ground! But another one that Sony had on their mind was this German company, TV-Loonland. Great name, I know. But a year or two back, Sony had another toon library aside from their own, Sunbow. They owned it through their old Sony Wonder label, which for some godforesaken reason was under Sony Music rather than Sony Pictures. But then Sony Wonder sold off Sunbow and the rest of their TV department to TV-Loonland, and when we were thinking up Animax in the states as its own channel, Sony Wonder was all like "oh sh*t, we f*cked up"- (laughs) Can I- can I say that? Anyway, they were like, "we f*cked up", and we at Sony Pictures were like "you think?" I think the reasoning was that Sunbow was going through a bit of a rough patch at the time... they were pumping out crap like Mega Babies and The Brothers Flub. Not very appealing. But their library... oh God, the library! Not a big one, but... Jem and the Holograms! G.I. Joe! Transformers- the original one, not the CGI animal one. Combine that with Program Exchange, some of our stuff, and some of Universal's stuff like Woody Woodpecker, and you got yourself a grade-A lineup. So we decided to get TV-Loonland on board as our main third-party provider for year one. And then later we bought them out. God, I talk a lot. (laughs)

Interviewer: What made Animax stand out from other kid channels?

Steve Mosko: Well, our focus wasn't just on children's programming. We also wanted to tap into the growing popularity of adult animation, which was a rapidly growing trend in the United States at the time. Cartoon Network had just launched Adult Swim, and we thought "okay, this is something big, but it's not enough." So instead of three hours twice a week, we had eight hours every night. We also had a lot of anime. Well, okay, not a LOT a lot of anime, at least at first... hell, I think at launch, Toonami aired more anime in three hours than we did in 24. But we did include anime, and we were dead-set on including anime. This was for two seasons. One, the original Japanese Animax was devoted entirely to anime at the time. Even today, it still airs more anime than the other feeds. Understandable, given how it's the Japanese feed. And two, Sony was trying to get on the anime boom in the States. We were struggling to get Rurouni Kenshin picked up by US networks- we changed it and cut it and renamed it "Samurai X", which might just be the dumbest. But with Animax, a network that we owned- well, co-owned- and could include cartoons for adults as well as kids, we could air Rurouni Kenshin ... original title and all.

Interviewer: Can you tell us about any particular challenges you faced during the launch of Animax?

Steve Mosko: One of the challenges was convincing cable companies to pick up the network. Some were hesitant, as they felt it was too similar to existing channels like Cartoon Network. Which... you know, fair. You can't quite have a NETWORK dedicated to CARTOONS and not be seen as a clone of CARTOON NETWORK. However, we were willing to go the distance, stand out from the crowd, get as many adults on board as kids, market the everloving motherf*cking sh*t out of it, and boom! Second place in the kid and animation, baby! Behind Nickelodeon, of course. Because it doesn't matter how good your shows are, cause at the end of the day... Nick has SpongeBob. And kids love SpongeBob.

~~~

GET ANIMATED WITH ANIMAX: COLUMBIA TRISTAR AND UNIVERSAL LAUNCH NEW ANIMATION CHANNEL IN THE US - January 15, 2002 (press release)

Animax, a new cable channel dedicated to animation for all ages, is set to launch in the United States this September. Animax is a joint venture between Columbia Tristar Television and Universal Studios, with TV-Loonland and barter syndication service The Program Exchange providing extra programming.

"We are thrilled to be bringing the Animax brand to the United States," said Steve Mosko, President of Columbia TriStar Domestic Television. "With our rich animation libraries, we are confident that Animax will be a destination for animation lovers of all ages."

"Universal has a long history of producing quality animation, and we are excited to partner with Columbia Tristar to bring the Animax brand to the United States," said Rick Finklestein, President of Universal Studios Television Distribution. "We look forward to providing viewers with a wide range of animated programming that will appeal to everyone in the family."

Animax's programming lineup will feature classic cartoons such as "Woody Woodpecker", "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "Mr. Magoo", and "Garfield and Friends", as well as newer series such as "Big Guy and Rusty" and 1996’s "Casper" cartoon. The channel will also showcase action-packed favorites like "Ghostbusters", "Godzilla", "Men in Black", and "The Transformers", as well as female-led "girl power" shows like "Sailor Moon" and "Carmen Sandiego". Additionally, Animax will feature sophisticated adult animation including "Dilbert", "The Critic", "The Savage Dragon", and "Starship Troopers". In addition to popular reruns, Animax will debut exclusive, new-to-America series such as "Rurouni Kenshin", "Dan Dare", and "Fat Dog Mendoza".

In addition to the aforementioned launch series, "Jackie Chan Adventures", "Max Steel", "The Mummy", "Phantom Investigators", and "Casper and Friends" (not to be confused with 1996’s "Casper") are all expected to make their debuts on Animax in 2003. Original and exclusive series, such as new Spider-Man and Astro Boy series, are also expected to debut on the network that year, alongside series from other companies, such as Toei Animation, BRB International, and Nelvana Enterprises. Columbia Tristar currently collaborates with Toei, BRB, and Nelvana in programming Telemundo’s weekend morning blocks.

"We believe Animax will be a great addition to the American television landscape, and we can't wait for viewers to experience the wide range of animated programming we have to offer," said Mosko.

Animax is set to launch this September and will be available in five million households on cable and satellite providers including Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, and Dish Network.

Last edited:
2002 PART TWO - Loesch at the Helm
INTERVIEW WITH MARGARET LOESCH - September 14, 2022

Margaret Loesch: Well, Animax's first choice for president was Betty Cohen, but she was still under contract with AOL Time Warner, so she couldn't take the position. The second choice, Geraldine Leybourne, was also unavailable, as she was in charge of Oxygen Media at the time. That's when they turned to me, and I was happy to take on the challenge.

Interviewer: And what do you think made you the right choice for the job?

Margaret Loesch: I think it was my previous experience in both animation production and heading cable networks. I had previously headed Marvel Productions in the 1980s, producing shows like Transformers and Muppet Babies. And in the 1990s, I was the president of Fox Kids, where I greenlit truly groundbreaking series like Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. And then I worked for a place called the Odyssey Network, a struggling cable channel. Nowadays, it's called the Hallmark Channel, and it's one of the highest rated cable networks... that was me. I did that. Well, some of it, anyway.

Interviewer: That's quite an impressive resume. How did your experience help you when it came to launching Animax?

Margaret Loesch: Well, I had a lot of experience working with animation and children's programming, which was invaluable when it came to creating Animax's programming lineup. And my experience in heading cable networks meant that I knew what it took to create a successful channel. So I was able to take those experiences and apply them to the challenge of launching Animax.

~~~

MARGARET LOESCH NAMED PRESIDENT OF ANIMAX - March 4, 2002 (press release)

Columbia Tristar Television and Universal Studios are proud to announce that Margaret Loesch has been appointed as the president of Animax, the highly anticipated animation-focused cable channel set to launch in September of this year.

Loesch, who previously served as the president of Marvel Productions, the Fox Kids Network, and the Hallmark Channel, brings with her a wealth of experience and a proven track record in launching and managing successful television networks and series.

"Margaret is a highly respected and experienced executive in the animation industry and we are thrilled to have her on board to lead Animax," said Steve Mosko, President of Columbia TriStar Domestic Television.

"Her expertise in programming and branding, coupled with her passion for animation, will be invaluable as we launch and grow Animax into a major player in the cable television landscape."

"I am excited to join the Animax team and work with Columbia Tristar and Universal to bring this new and innovative cable channel to audiences," said Margaret Loesch. "I believe in the power of animation, and I am confident that Animax will be a destination for animation fans of all ages."

Animax will launch with a lineup of original and acquired programming aimed at kids and adults. Animax is set to launch in September, with Loesch leading the team to ensure the channel's success.

Last edited:
2002 PART THREE - A "Brand" New World
KLASKY CSUPO TO CREATE BRANDING FOR ANIMAX - April 9, 2002

Animax, the upcoming animation-focused cable channel from Columbia Tristar Television and Universal Studios, has announced that it has hired Klasky Csupo, through commercial arm Class-Key Chew-Po Commercials, to create its branding. Klasky Csupo, known for its work on popular animated shows such as Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys, previously worked with Columbia Tristar on Animax's international do-it-yourself kids blocks back in 2000.

"We are thrilled to be working with Klasky Csupo again on this exciting project," said Margaret Loesch, president of Animax. "Their previous work on our international blocks was top-notch, and we are confident that they will help us create a dynamic and engaging brand package for our new channel."

Klasky Csupo will expand on Animax's existing branding elements through a variety of promotional menus and interstitials, in addition to more idents. The initial idents, which will center the overall branding, feature a CGI roller coaster ride that takes the audience through various environments, including a factory, a futuristic city, and even an atom, with the Animax logo prominently featured throughout. The idents won a gold medal at the 2000 Broadcast Design Association Awards.

"We are honored to be working with Animax again and excited to help bring its new brand to life," said Terry Thoren, CEO of Klasky Csupo. "The roller coaster ride ident we have created not only captures the excitement and energy of the Animax blocks, but also speaks to the wide array of animation that will be showcased on the new channel."

Dave Foss, director of the ident, added, "The roller coaster ride ident is a thrilling introduction to the Animax brand, and I believe it captures the essence of what the channel is all about - showcasing a wide variety of animation for audiences of all ages."

Animax is set to launch in September and is expected to offer a wide range of animation programming, from classic cartoons to original productions, as well as an eight-hour nightly block catered specifically to adults.

~~~

IDENT FOR ANIMAX - Dave Foss, Class-Key Chew-Po Commercials, 2000

Animax Branding In latinamerica

Locomotion (the channel Sony took over and killed to bring animax to Latin America) for comparison

Animax Branding In latinamerica

Locomotion (the channel Sony took over and killed to bring animax to Latin America) for comparison
Yeah, but this is different. In this timeline, Animax doubles as an animation channel for kids AND adults.

Yeah, but this is different. In this timeline, Animax doubles as an animation channel for kids AND adults.
Yeah Locomotion did started as a general animation channel but was defacto the adult one as broadcasted series no one would have, them become anime only and sony bought it later on, but i was meaning in general terms of graphical design.

Thanks! It IS going to be very interesting!
How'd you like to see Naruto AND Adventure Time on the channel?
Would Columbia spent money in the later? I don't think so unless the channel become a megahit is close to CN, original animation is expensive too, Naruto is feasible and perfect to fill the schedule

Would Columbia spent money in the later? I don't think so unless the channel become a megahit is close to CN, original animation is expensive too, Naruto is feasible and perfect to fill the schedule
Animax does become a major brand very quickly, and Columbia and Universal are willing to spend money on originals.

Animax does become a major brand very quickly, and Columbia and Universal are willing to spend money on originals.
That means either Disney,CN or Nick will commit several misteps, at this point in OTL,CN was a titan but Nick was close second and disney flip flopped a lot ended up costing it a lot in animation(in drama on the other hands, their teen drama were megahits)

That means either Disney,CN or Nick will commit several misteps
Similar to the real channels, actually. (Remember CN Real?) In addition, programs also get swiped because of preexisting relationships, per instance.

Possible Examples (may or may not, but more likely may, happen):
  • Naruto goes here instead of CN because of the involvement of Sony's involvement through Aniplex.
  • Robot Chicken and The Boondocks also go to Animax instead of Adult Swim, also due to Sony.
  • Animax has a relationship with Nelvana, which results in 6teen airing on Animax, which starts a relationship with FreshTV, which results in Animax getting Total Drama
  • GO! Cartoons happens a LOT earlier in this timeline, starting a strong enough relationship with Frederator that Animax becomes Frederator's backup if Nickelodeon refuses a well-liked pilot of theirs. And so Adventure Time goes to Animax, and thus Steven Universe (from Rebecca Sugar, who worked on Adventure Time) does so, as does Craig of the Creek (from a guy who worked on Steven Universe), and other CN shows from AT and SU alumni like OK KO, Victor and Valentino, and Clarence.
  • On an example that benefits someone other than Animax, Animax gets Phineas and Ferb before Disney. IOTL, before Phineas and Ferb, Disney was considering shutting down their TV animation department outside of preschool content. Since they don't get Phineas and Ferb, this happens (although they slowly do open back up, mainly for IP-based shows like, say, Marvel properties), and Alex Hirsch (who worked on Flapjack) instead makes Gravity Falls on Cartoon Network, which leads to GF alumni Matt Braly and Dana Terrace putting Amphibia and The Owl House on CN as well. In addition, Craig McCracken puts Wander Over Yonder on his old home CN as well (his prior two properties were hits for the network, and this was before their reboot madness), which leads to Wander writer Daron Nefcy making Star Vs. for them. Basically, while Animax steals a lot of CN's 2010s cartoons, CN steals a lot of Disney's 2010s cartoons. And of course, Regular Show, Gumball, and the one and only Teen Titans Go still air on CN.

Possible Examples (may or may not, but more likely may, happen):
  • Naruto goes here instead of CN because of the involvement of Sony's involvement through Aniplex.
  • Robot Chicken and The Boondocks also go to Animax instead of Adult Swim, also due to Sony.
  • Animax has a relationship with Nelvana, which results in 6teen airing on Animax, which starts a relationship with FreshTV, which results in Animax getting Total Drama
  • GO! Cartoons happens a LOT earlier in this timeline, starting a strong enough relationship with Frederator that Animax becomes Frederator's backup if Nickelodeon refuses a well-liked pilot of theirs. And so Adventure Time goes to Animax, and thus Steven Universe (from Rebecca Sugar, who worked on Adventure Time) does so, as does Craig of the Creek (from a guy who worked on Steven Universe), and other CN shows from AT and SU alumni like OK KO, Victor and Valentino, and Clarence.
Well, at least Frederator and Nelvana can give Animax a frequent flow of premieres in the US.
  • On an example that benefits someone other than Animax, Animax gets Phineas and Ferb before Disney. IOTL, before Phineas and Ferb, Disney was considering shutting down their TV animation department outside of preschool content. Since they don't get Phineas and Ferb, this happens (although they slowly do open back up, mainly for IP-based shows like, say, Marvel properties), and Alex Hirsch (who worked on Flapjack) instead makes Gravity Falls on Cartoon Network, which leads to GF alumni Matt Braly and Dana Terrace putting Amphibia and The Owl House on CN as well. In addition, Craig McCracken puts Wander Over Yonder on his old home CN as well (his prior two properties were hits for the network, and this was before their reboot madness), which leads to Wander writer Daron Nefcy making Star Vs. for them. Basically, while Animax steals a lot of CN's 2010s cartoons, CN steals a lot of Disney's 2010s cartoons. And of course, Regular Show, Gumball, and the one and only Teen Titans Go still air on CN.
On the bright side, not only do the family trees of Gravity Falls and Adventure Time swap networks, but maybe Sym-Bionic Titan and Generator Rex get treated better, due to Regular Show being the biggest hit in 2010 on CN.

On the other hand, Disney becomes known for preschool cartoons and IP-based adaptations. I consider this a downgrade from their position in the 2000s.

Furthermore, is this true that Disney was considering a downsizing of their staff on television?