Why the Chinese play cricket (an Imperial Federation timeline)

Jan-March 1902: Joining the wider world
~Jan-March 1902: Joining the wider world

January 1902: At the outbreak of the Chinese Civil War, the Guangxu Emperor had strongly argued for the need for a non-political professional military but was unable to convince the Southern Qing Grand Council of the necessity. After the defection of Xu Yingkai and loss of Beijing, the Grand Council revises its position and institutes a series of fundamental reforms. The provincial governors are removed from the military command structure and serving officers prohibited from holding political office in an effort to create a professional officer corp. General Lu Yongxiang is appointed Commander in Chief of the army and Admiral Liu Gungxiong Commander in Chief of the navy, with a separate Minister of War and the Navy sitting in the Grand Council. The reorganisation will also see the radical republicans Sun Yat-sen and Huang Xing brought into the Grand Council with ministerial posts.

January 1902: For many years the US has been interested in obtaining sovereignty over the strategically located Danish Virgin Island in the Caribbean. As the islands have become both a strategic and financial liability, the Danish government is willing to cede the Islands to the US and a treaty has been negotiated whereby the US will purchase the Island in return for ten million dollars {£2,064,594} and guarantees of Danish residents rights. While the treaty will be ratified by the US Congress and the conservative dominated Danish Landstinget, the popularly elected Folketing will reject the treaty, leading to its failure.

January 1902: Governor Wang Zhichun of the Anhui Province in China declares for the Northern Qing, though Liu Guangdi in Jiangsu Province remains loyal, However Wang's defection hands the northern half of both provinces to the Northern Qing, putting the Southern Qing's capital under threat, though the Guangxu Emperor refuses to abandon the city, recognising any withdrawal would further undermine his already tenuous support in northern China.

February 1902: During the Greater Power occupation of Beijing, the Guangxu Emperor was diagnosed with a serious liver illness by European doctors which meant he was unable to father children. He has been undergoing treatment since and shown considerable improvement, with a son Yixuan being born to the Empress Keshun. Despite fears for her and her infant son's safety, the Empress refuses to leave Nanjing, believing it would weaken the morale of the troops loyal to the Emperor.

February 1902: Observing how the expansion of worker's rights in Britain has in greatly improved the efficiency of British industry, Brazilian Prime Minister Joaquim Nabuco attempts to introduce the Lei dos Direitos dos Trabalhadores or law of workers rights. The new law would provide certain minimum conditions of employment, as well as legalising trade unions and the right to strike. Since becoming Prime Minister in 1897, Nabuco has retained the backing of Empress Isabel who has discreetly encouraged the more conservative Catholic elements of Brazilian society to support his government. This has been a vital factor in preventing his conservative opponents in the National Assembly from being able to successfully introduce a motion of no confidence. However she is unwilling to continue her backing regarding this new law, allowing Nabuco's opponents to successfully move a motion of no confidence, bring his government down. Nabuco's term of nearly five years rivals that of Afonso Celso and is indicative of the increasing stability in Brazilian politics. In recognition for his service Nabuco is created Duke of Recife by the Empress. Nabuco is replaced as Prime Minister by centrist Afonso Pena. While Pena will abandon Nabuco's controversial labour reforms, he will continue his policy of encouraging the industrialisation of Brazil.

February 1902: Despite having regained control of Hebei Province, the Dowager Empress Cixi's government has remained in Xi'an due to fear of the remaining Great Power troops in China. However the last units are now finally withdrawn, allowing the her administration to return to Beijing.

February 1902: Since the end of the Franco-Prussian War German population growth has considerably outstripped that of France, leading to the military balance between the two nations to tip considerably in the German favour. This combined with widespread concerns over the involvement of the military in the 1889 coup which led to the fall of the Third Republic results in the appointment of a special committee to investigate reform. The new Emperor, being one of the most vocal advocates of reform, is appointed to head the investigation.

March 1902: To encourage integration into the world economy, the Southern Qing moves from the silver to gold standard, A new currency, the gold yuan is to replace the silver tael. The gold yuan is defined as equal to four shillings and two pence sterling {£0.208} and divided into 100 fen, making one British pence equal to two Southern Qing fen. The Northern Qing however retains the silver tael, set at 37.5 grams of silver {£0.13}.

March 1902: Lord Kitchener's scorched earth strategy is finally beginning to show serious results, with the Boer guerillas operations being severely hampered, with many having already surrendered. Realising continued resistance will mean not only the loss of their independence, but possibly the destruction of the Boer people, many of the more moderate Boer leader are now willing to discuss a peace involving the loss of their independence. For their part, the British are anxious to bring the exceptionally expensive war to an end, and are willing to offer extremely generous terms. In this new environment, pace talks begin between the two sides.

March 1902: Since the outbreak of the Chinese Civil War the Southern Qing's support has been seriously eroded by their signing of the Boxer Protocol, which has led to many troops defecting to the Northern Qing. Seeking to further damage his prestige and hopefully strike a decisive blow, Ronglu, Commander in Chief of the Northern Qing armies orders Xu Yingkai's Beijing Army to launch an offensive in Jiangsu Province with the aim of taking the Southern Qing capital Nanjing. However General Lu Yongxiang, Commander in Chief of the Southern Qing Army, has reinforced the defences of the city with elite troops from Guangzhou Province and placed the defence of the city under General Yin Chang, one of the ablest generals in the Southern Qing Army. Though outnumbered, General Yin conducts a brilliant defensive campaign, holding off the Northern Qing forces with only minimal loss of territory. As part of his strategy, Yin uses the Qing Navy, three quarters of which have remained loyal to the Emperor, for fire support and to land strike forces behind the Northern Qing lines to disrupt their supplies and communications.

March 1902: For many years Venezuela has been wracked by political instability, with one military strongman after another seizing power. Much of the Venezuelan economy is dominated German interests, to whom the Venezuelans have incurred massive debts, though they substantial debts with many other European powers, including Britain, France and Italy. Over the past few years repayments on these debts have become sporadic and occasionally stopping outright. With the situation deteriorating, German investors have been pressuring their government to action to enforce their debts and eventually German Chancellor Bernhard von Bulow agrees to intervene, contacting the other other creditor nations regarding a common front. Responding to the German initiative and hoping to resolve the situation peacefully, the creditor nations propose Venezuela submit these claims to the newly formed International Court of Permanent Arbitration in the Hague.

March 1902: The North Island Main Trunk Line is finally completed in New Zealand. The new railway will greatly improve transport in the North Island of New Zealand, acting as a further spur to economic growth. As part of the plan of railway development, a number of large government rail yards have been built capable of domestic production of locomotives. This is the first significant heavy industry established in New Zealand. These rail yards will soon acquire an international reputation for excellence, even attracting overseas orders not only from within the Empire, but also from nations such as Russia and the Ottoman Empire, as well as smaller states in the Balkans and South America.

March 1902: With most European nations unwilling to supply weapons to China, both the Northern and Southern Qing are having great difficulty equipping their armies. The issue is particularly acute for the Southern Qing as the Northern Qing control both the Hanyang Arsenal while the Chengdu Arsenal is under the control of Viceroy of Sichuan, Deshou who, while remaining undeclared is diverting its production to the Northern Qing. Fortunately Lord Salisbury's government agree to allow the Southern Qing to purchase weapons from British companies. The Southern Qing immediately place a massive order for 60 15-pdr field guns, 20 5” field howitzers, 90,000 0.303” Lee-Enfield rifles, 10,000 0.303” Lee-Enfield carbines, 150 0.303” Maxim guns, 200,000 surplus 0.303” Martini-Enfield rifles plus large quantities of ammunition for £1,000,000 {£996,868}. They also issue a contract with Armstrong-Whitworth for half a million pounds {£499,343} to construct and manage a modern arsenal at Jiangmen in Guangdong Province.

Last edited:
And things continue to unravel in China, i'm so rooting for the Emperor.

Things progressing well for the Brazilian Empire, that's good.

More progress for Britain, yay.

China as at February 1902
China Civil War 0202.png

Base maps from Free SVG Maps and used under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution - Non-Commercial 4.0 Intentional

Last edited:
And things continue to unravel in China, i'm so rooting for the Emperor.
See the map I just posted for the latest changes in territory. But not all doom and gloom for the Southern Dynasty, they've made a very import domestic reform and a major diplomatic breakthrough. They just need to avoid going under to allow these developments to take full effect.
Things progressing well for the Brazilian Empire, that's good.
Brazil IITL has well and truly left Kansas well behind. The governments of Celso and Nabuco have given it over ten years of relative political stability and between the two, they've introduced a series of gradual reforms which are about to bear fruit. The power of the great landholders has been broken and the size of the electorate increased to around 30-40% population. Empress Isabel has been rather important in this. Her support of both Celso and Nabuco is what has allowed them to break the landowners power, but likewise their need to retain her support meant they couldn't move too fast for fear of losing it. Brazil is well on the way to becoming a modern industrialised western style liberal democracy. If things keep going, by the 1930, Brazil should be a major power, with a potential to make the leap to Great Power like Japan.
More progress for Britain, yay.
The end of the war in South Africa is in sight finally at least.

They just need to avoid going under to allow these developments to take full effect.
Let's hope they can hold on.

If things keep going, by the 1930, Brazil should be a major power, with a potential to make the leap to Great Power like Japan.
Whooho! Under the guiding hand of the Braganza, soon to be Orleans-Braganza, Dynasty.

The end of the war in South Africa is in sight finally at least.
Yep, and to move attention somewhere else.

Let's hope they can hold on.
They are now starting to get significant quantities of modern military equipment, which will be a huge help. Plus the areas they've lost are the areas affected by the Boxer War with all the atrocities which went along with it. This is where the anger at them for signing the Boxer Protocol is strongest and consequently , support for the Southern Dynasty is much weaker there. Things will get harder for the Northern Chinese from here on.
Whooho! Under the guiding hand of the Braganza, soon to be Orleans-Braganza, Dynasty.
True, interesting thought, since the French monarchy has just been restored.
Yep, and to move attention somewhere else.
Their main focus will be consolidation. The Boer War has shaken the Imperial establishment quite badly. A nasty, but necccessary, blow to their confidence.

They are now starting to get significant quantities of modern military equipment, which will be a huge help. Plus the areas they've lost are the areas affected by the Boxer War with all the atrocities which went along with it. This is where the anger at them for signing the Boxer Protocol is strongest and consequently , support for the Southern Dynasty is much weaker there. Things will get harder for the Northern Chinese from here on
Let's hope that like steel, they can be made stronger by the fires of their trials.

Let's hope Nappy IV can utilize the new french ancestry of the Brazilian Imperial family to forge a new alliance, Empire to Empire.

Their main focus will be consolidation. The Boer War has shaken the Imperial establishment quite badly. A nasty, but necccessary, blow to their confidence.
They truly needed the humble pie.

I could see this devolving into a static situation, like a larger taiwan-china situation, with two governments both claiming the Mandate of Heaven. However, neither are able to displace the other. Which could also be an interesting pseudo-cold war (or conventional war) between the British-backed southern china and the *insert enemy faction* backed North China.

Something else interesting is what consequences this and the developing Venezuela situation could hold for the Monroe Doctrine. How is America supposed to react if Brazil chooses to ally with a European Power rather than the hegemon of the Western Hemisphere (that's at least how America would like to view itself).

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me find biographic information on Yuan Shikai's grandson Yuan Jiarong. So far all I know is he was the eldest and I think only son of Yuan Keding, he was born in 1904, died in 1996 and appears to have been educated in the US. If anyone can point me at a source where I could find more I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

I could see this devolving into a static situation, like a larger taiwan-china situation, with two governments both claiming the Mandate of Heaven. However, neither are able to displace the other. Which could also be an interesting pseudo-cold war (or conventional war) between the British-backed southern china and the *insert enemy faction* backed North China.
Yep, looking very likely. This was certainly how things in China went in the 3rd Iteration and very much looks like the same path will be followed this time
Something else interesting is what consequences this and the developing Venezuela situation could hold for the Monroe Doctrine. How is America supposed to react if Brazil chooses to ally with a European Power rather than the hegemon of the Western Hemisphere (that's at least how America would like to view itself).
At the point of the TL, Brazil's power is entirely potential. In 1902, the only nation in Central or South America which could possibly follow a strongly anti US foreign policy is Chile, due to the fact they're have the Empire as a patron. But since the British and US are in a de facto alliance at this point, if they did they'd do massive harm to the their relationship with very patron which allows them that freedom. But if things continue the way they are the Brazilians will be the first Latin American nation able to cut out on their own without a Great Power protector. But as I said that is 20-30 years away at this point.

Also interesting is that North China has the potential to develop into a traditionalist revival, perhaps being a birth ground for a Chinese pseudo-fascism? But like many things, such an occurrence would be a long way off.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me find biographic information on Yuan Shikai's grandson Yuan Jiarong. So far all I know is he was the eldest and I think only son of Yuan Keding, he was born in 1904, died in 1996 and appears to have been educated in the US. If anyone can point me at a source where I could find more I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Hello,

Not much out there...
https://inf.news/en/history/e56063c288cbb13780619ade8a3e1b58.html#:~:text=Yuan Jiarong,,and two men.
Jiarong managed to make his way to the US where he majored in geology at Columbia University. Most written works by him have to do with radiocarbon dating and geologic support in paleontology and archeology, making for dry reading

Also interesting is that North China has the potential to develop into a traditionalist revival, perhaps being a birth ground for a Chinese pseudo-fascism? But like many things, such an occurrence would be a long way off.
Part of it depends on where everyone is born. ForEx, Mao is suited for the authoritarian Northern Dynasty, but he'll only be 8 years old when the Civil War ends and is born in the Hunan, which is part of the reformist Southern Dynasty. Zhao Enlai, ideal for the Southern Dynasty, same age as Mao, born in the North (though fairly close to the border). Thankfully Chiang Kai-shek is born in the north. What ever happens, the North will go down the authoritarian path.

Hello,

Not much out there...
https://inf.news/en/history/e56063c288cbb13780619ade8a3e1b58.html#:~:text=Yuan Jiarong,,and two men.
Jiarong managed to make his way to the US where he majored in geology at Columbia University. Most written works by him have to do with radiocarbon dating and geologic support in paleontology and archeology, making for dry reading
Thank you so much, that's actually incredibly useful. It gives a whole range of Yuan Shikai's descendents. Shikai is going to take control of Northern China. Given it will retain a large part of the late Qing corruption and nepotism, his family will be important.

Plus his work hints at Yuan Jiarong's personality. Given he's likely to be the third Northern Emperor, it very useful.

Thank you so much, that's actually incredibly useful. It gives a whole range of Yuan Shikai's descendents. Shikai is going to take control of Northern China. Given it will retain a large part of the late Qing corruption and nepotism, his family will be important.

Plus his work hints at Yuan Jiarong's personality. Given he's likely to be the third Northern Emperor, it very useful.
Any details beyond what I have found you may have to email the Columbia University Department of Geology. Probably because of what happened to Shikai and his family OTL Jiarong did not seem to make use of his historical connections to his grandfather.

Any details beyond what I have found you may have to email the Columbia University Department of Geology. Probably because of what happened to Shikai and his family OTL Jiarong did not seem to make use of his historical connections to his grandfather.
I also just found these three which have a little more information. Given the third generation descendants will be born after Shikai's coup, or at least close enough to it (meaning a radically different upbringing), it gives enough information for my purposes.

How can you not love the Charles Martel? :love:

View attachment 813255
I don't have a problem with how the French ships, look, I mean to use Drachinfel's immortal words "When hotels go to war." The many French seamen who drowned when they rolled over and sank when they got lightly tapped might, but fine by me. My issue is who the hell's bright idea was it to build five individual ships which are identical in performance but also are just different enough that you can't call them a class. Oh yeah that would be Émile Bertin and the Jeune École lol.

Last edited: