TL-191: After the End

I just Reread after the end and overall, I still love the fanfic but there is one issue that I want answered to:
Why is there a Florida-Cuba interstate highway but the technology is decades behind compared to OTL that Europe to Africa tunnel is very expensive and difficult?

It ultimately came down to different policy decisions and priorities in TTL.

How is Andrew Jackson regarded by 2023 in the USA?

During the first two generations after the end of the Second Great War, Andrew Jackson was generally viewed positively by US historians and the general public, because of his military victory against the British in the Battle of New Orleans, and because of his response to the nullification crisis. Jackson was also viewed positively by US political and military leaders in a similar manner to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, James Polk, and Zachary Taylor, as a historical Southern US leader who could be a modern symbol of unity and reunion.

By 2023, the popular and academic view of Andrew Jackson in the USA is far more critical, because of his policies towards the Native Americans.

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm really curious about other things related to it.

1) Was there a treaty similar to Lateran Pact?
2) What are the borders of Vatican City? Is it similar to OTL, does it include Leonine City or are the borders radically different?
3) Was there ever an ecumenical council? If so, what were the main topics discussed?
4) Did a non-Italian pope ever get elected? When and who? Papal name?

Sorry if these questions may be too difficult to answer without doing some accurate research.
This answer includes what I previously wrote about the Second Vatican Council in TTL.

-
The Treaty of Rome of 1955 between the Italian Empire and the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church was analogous to the Lateran Treaty in our world. By 2023, Vatican City has more or less the same boundaries as in our world.

The leadership of the Roman Catholic Church held the Second Vatican Council in TTL from 1979 to 1985. It dealt with many of the same issues for the Catholic Church that the Second Vatican Council addressed in our world. As a result of the Second Vatican in TTL, the Catholic Mass used around the world is usually conducted in various vernacular languages by 2023.

By 2023, there has not been a modern non-Italian Pope.

This discussion of U.S. Presidents, especially the pre-War of Succession Presidents makes me wonder how an early American history course would be taught considering that at least 7 of U.S. Presidents, depending on how you count where a President is "from", were from what would become the Confederacy. In the CSA I would imagine it would be a narrative of inevitable separation culminating in the War of Succession but I wonder how a school/university curriculum in the north would approach the topic, especially post Second Great War when the former Confederate States were under occupation and possibly being prepared to be readmitted to the union.

After the end of the Second Great War, the US education system tended to be most critical of early US leaders who were viewed as having not worked to hold the Union together or strengthen the nation in general, regardless of which region of the USA they were from.

By 2023, early US leaders such as George Washington or James Polk are viewed by the US public and US academics far more favorably than early US leaders such as Franklin Pierce or James Buchanan.

I recently went through the 2000s chapter, and in 2002, it is mentioned that the first search engine was called the Panopticon. Was this reconned to the OptyCon or is that the name of a different search engine?

I wonder what sort of movies one would see depicting life in any little Dixies that pop up across Northern cities. ITTL these neighborhoods full of Southern migrants and their descendants seem to be pretty rough, many having a multitude of gangs that seem to engage in a lot of violence’s

I also wonder what sort of music and literature have been created in these communities in the years following the annexation of the former Confederacy.

Practically most Canada got Assimilate into the US so they are consider Americans instead of Canadians
Now that's depressing. Granted, Canada's story in the actual series is depressing.
I guess having all of the Canadian cultures blended into the larger and assimilated into Americana is definitely a better fate than the Mormons, Euro-Confederates, Native Americans and several other groups have received from the US government.

Now that's depressing. Granted, Canada's story in the actual series is depressing.

Canadian history is not so bad as for CSA which ended to disastrous wars and became genocidal power.

Just wondering how well ex-Confederates are assimilated to American society? Probably bit hard since they had over 80 years time to develope their own identitet and had already developing even before War of Secession.

I recently went through the 2000s chapter, and in 2002, it is mentioned that the first search engine was called the Panopticon. Was this reconned to the OptyCon or is that the name of a different search engine?

The Panopticon in TTL is the most influential search engine on the ComboNet by 2023.

By 2023, OptyCon is the name given to certain kinds of online channels and forums on the ComboNet where people can engage with one another on different topics.

I wonder what sort of movies one would see depicting life in any little Dixies that pop up across Northern cities. ITTL these neighborhoods full of Southern migrants and their descendants seem to be pretty rough, many having a multitude of gangs that seem to engage in a lot of violence’s

I also wonder what sort of music and literature have been created in these communities in the years following the annexation of the former Confederacy.

The mass migration of people from the Midsouth to other regions of the USA began in the 1980s. This was primarily because of economic reasons. The enclaves formed by these migrants in different US cities became popularly known as Dixielands.

There were several themes that were present in many of the songs, poems, novels, and films by migrants from the Midsouth who either moved to or were born in Dixieland enclaves. These themes included the struggle to survive and move up the economic ladder, the suspicion of outsiders and reliance on family, the goal to escape the legacy of the CSA and failing to do so.

Some of the films made by Dixieland migrants and their descendants in the late 20th Century and early 21st Century, such as Enemy Ours (1984), Tupelo’s Way (1992), Caffeinated (1995), North Orleans (2001), and Everglade Cafe (2012) were inspired by older kinds of filmmaking styles in the USA, such as those derived from American Nihilism in the 1970s in TTL.

-
Migrants from the Midsouth brought the region’s music to the various Dixielands, including analogues to what someone in our world might recognize as Bluegrass, Country, and Gospel. Unlike in our world, these genres would not contribute to anything as influential worldwide as Rock and Roll. Popular bands that emerged in the Dixielands in the late 20th Century and early 21st Century were influenced heavily by other kinds of popular music, such as Stomp in the 1980s, Fabrika-Punk in the 1990s, and Ios Sound in the 2010s.

The mass migration of people from the Midsouth to other regions of the USA began in the 1980s. This was primarily because of economic reasons. The enclaves formed by these migrants in different US cities became popularly known as Dixielands.
Did any northern cities become majority Dixian?
There were several themes that were present in many of the songs, poems, novels, and films by migrants from the Midsouth who either moved to or were born in Dixieland enclaves. These themes included the struggle to survive and move up the economic ladder, the suspicion of outsiders and reliance on family, the goal to escape the legacy of the CSA and failing to do so.
What were the reactions of the people that lived in the neighborhoods the Dixians moved to before they became little Dixies?
Some of the films made by Dixieland migrants and their descendants in the late 20th Century and early 21st Century, such as Enemy Ours (1984), Tupelo’s Way (1992), Caffeinated (1995), North Orleans (2001), and Everglade Cafe (2012) were inspired by older kinds of filmmaking styles in the USA, such as those derived from American Nihilism in the 1970s in TTL.
Could you give a brief description of each of those movies?
Migrants from the Midsouth brought the region’s music to the various Dixielands, including analogues to what someone in our world might recognize as Bluegrass, Country, and Gospel. Unlike in our world, these genres would not contribute to anything as influential worldwide as Rock and Roll. Popular bands that emerged in the Dixielands in the late 20th Century and early 21st Century were influenced heavily by other kinds of popular music, such as Stomp in the 1980s, Fabrika-Punk in the 1990s, and Ios Sound in the 2010s.
What are some popular Dixieland Bands?

And is there a problem of police violence directed at people residing in Dixielands?