Grasping the Thistle: A Scottish Series

Well, speaking for myself, this is an interesting start so far, and waiting for more, of course...

I'd like to know more about the Jacobite uprisings...

I thought about doing a larger post on the '15 and '19 uprisings but in truth they pretty much go by the OTL. The main difference is the Montrose Letter, which was a real thing the Old Pretender wrote after the '15 Rebellion. By the time he had landed in Scotland his troops were already defeated and so he left about a month later writing a farewell letter to Scotland. OTL UK Gov't didn't make much of it, but ITTL the new Hamiltonians make huge hay of it and use it as evidence of the Stuart's abandonment of Scotland and the crown.

Don't think I'm giving much away though to say that when the Bonnie Prince makes his journey across the sea, I'm planning to work up a long article for what happens.

It's pretty good so far, yeah. I am especially interested in what will be of some late 19th and 20th century Scottish political figures, once we reach these times.
Glad to hear. Mapping out how I think Scotland would be during the revolutionary decades has been interesting. A lot of interesting speculative articles have been written about the figures and such at the time. Of course, as much as I want this to be a form of "Hard History" the further and further we get away from the original POD the more the history I build will be different because the Scotland forming right now is already different.

Last edited:
Are the Hamiltonians the ruling royal house of Scotland?
The House of Douglas-Hamilton, formerly the Dukes of Hamilton, became the ruling royal house of Scotland following the Dissolution.

In the OTL, the Duke of Hamilton was the senior-most claimant to the throne of Scotland after Sophia of Hanover.

I really like the quality of your work! I would like to know more about the various monarchs of the Douglas-Hamilton Dynasty
Because I'm trying to go through the timeline in some kind of chronological, I'm attempting to find the right time to put up major figures wiki-pages.

For the current Monarchs, the plan I've had is that on their death I'll put up a post and it allows me to give a fuller picture of them than if I did it when they became Monarch. But with each post there is plenty of foreshadowing of both the monarchs and other stuff I intend to write on. If you have anything specific you want to know though, ask away.

Last edited:
Strangways Affair
aUBEBdC.png

nktmRbn.jpg

Last edited:
Premiership of Archibald Campbell 1st Earl of Ilay (1730-1743)
QrdlQ8f.png

Archibald Campbell, 1st Earl of Ilay
3rd Tànaiste of Scotland

"The most powerful man in Dissolution Scotland" - Roger L. Emerson
(1730-1743; Argathelian)

aUBEBdC.png

a6AWEKm.png

Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll, 1st Earl of Ilay, KT PC (June 1682 – 15 April 1761) was a Scottish nobleman, politician, lawyer, businessman, and soldier who served as Tànaiste of Scotland from 1730 until 1743. He remains one of Scotland's longest serving Tànaistes and the period of Scottish history known as the Argathelian Ascendancy, is generally regarded as referring to the time period where he wielded considerable political and patronage powers.

Ilay's tenure as Tànaiste, which came during the reigns of James VIII and James IX, was dominated by Scotland's attempts to re-establish itself as both an independent and colonial nation, rather than a subject or protectorate of either England or France. His term as Tànaiste came to an end during Scotland's disastrous involvement in the War of Jenkins' Ear, also known as the Darien Disaster in Scotland. His influence over Scotland's government however, would last far into the late 1750s, involving the Forty-five Rebellion, the Acadian War, and the start of the Seven Years' War.

While from an English context, Ilay is sometimes referred to as a Whig, largely due to his close relationship with English Prime Ministers Robert Walpole and Henry Pelham. However, Scotland's much more factional political landscape, in comparison to England's, has meant that the labels of Whig and Tory are generally regarded as ill-suited. Argyll himself was generally opposed to the development of a party-political system, and instead preferred the factionalised and more volatile nature of Scottish politics.

Argyll's legacy is defined by the radically different impacts he had on both Scotland's political system and Scottish society more generally. Politically, Argyll remained a conservative figure deeply wedded to Scotland's aristocratic political structures, giving way on little in regard to political reform. While a proponent of the developing ideas around constitutional monarchy, he ensured that political power remained concentrated within Scotland's second estate (the nobility).

In contrast, he also gained a reputation as an outstanding administrator who used patronage to promote the ideals of meritocracy within Scottish society. A significant supporter of the Scottish Agricultural Revolution, the Royal Bank of Scotland, the Scottish Linen Bank, and the Royal New Guinea Company, Scotland's merchant and banking class saw their status and role in society increase exponentially. For his role in this, he is considered by some of be an early father of the Scottish Enlightenment.

Historian Ronald Sunter argued that his success was in large part due to the fortuitous partnerships he developed with other leading figures, including that of his older brother, the Duke of Argyll. For while Ilay was a better political and strategic brain than most, he lacked the social skills that his more gregarious partners had in abundance. Sunter surmises that without their support Ilay's "longevity at the height of Scottish society would have crashed as partisanship developed, yet the floodgates of partisanship held and instead factionalised reigned so he could shine". Shin Matsuzono argued the opposite however, saying that Ilay was "the dominant figure in Scottish politics for nearly thirty years because of his iron grip on the advice to the Crown". Roger L. Emerson concludes that he was one of Scotland's greatest political leaders because "he enabled the nation to pass from the old order to the new, through peace for the majority and bloody victory when required".

Ilay served as Tànaiste for a total of thirteen years, 201 days, making him the third-longest serving Tànaiste of all time, behind only Henry Dundas and William Ewart Gladstone.

Last edited:
Just curious: how big is Scotland, @Ghazghkull?

Good updates, BTW...
In terms of geographic size, mainland Scotland is the same as the OTL (Scotland and England have had the same borders effectively since the Treaty of York in 1237, with the town of Berwick mainly being the only thing that's switched hands over time).

Scotland does have a major colony in the Americas, Nova Scotia. The colony has notional control over all of the Nova Scotia peninsula (known as the Acadian peninsula) but in practice mainly has control over the south and eastern parts of the peninsula. The northern islands (OTL Prince Edward and Cape Breton) remain in the hands of the French whereas OTL New Brunswick remains contested between England, France and the Scots.

Scotland has some small forts in West Africa and are fairly heavily involved in the slave trade with England's American colonies. But Scotland's statesmen have dreams of a larger colonial empire with hopes of following along similar lines to the Dutch - others oppose such actions.

Last edited:
So I've updated the Strangways Affair article, because somehow I managed to miss out the Attempts at marriage section when I was putting it together x'D .

Exactly how I managed to miss it out I have no idea, and only noticed when I re-read it to check the list of potential brides for King James VIII and couldn't find it on the article. Edits don't change anything, just add some context to Strangways herself and the lead up to the Falkland Palace seclusion. Enjoy, next article regarding Franco-Scottish relations and the Polish War of Succession will be out tomorrow.

About the Jacobite Rising that was mentioned in the Strangways Affair article, how did the Jacobite Rising play out if Scotland is independent?
Also does Scotland have a upper house in parliament?

Last edited:
About the Jacobite Rising that was mentioned in the Strangways Affair article, how did the Jacobite Rising play out if Scotland is independent?
Also does Scotland have a upper house in parliament?
The '15 and '19 Jacobite uprisings pretty much go by the OTL. The main difference is the so-called Montrose Letter, which was a real thing the Old Pretender wrote after the '15 Rebellion. By the time he had landed in Scotland his troops were already defeated and so he left about a month later writing a farewell letter to Scotland. OTL UK Gov't didn't make much of it, but ITTL the new Hamiltonian Monarchs make huge hay of it and use it as evidence of the Stuart's abandonment of Scotland and the crown, increasing their legitimacy. As for the '45 Rebellion, we're not there yet but it’s comin yet for a’ that ;).

As for Scotland's Parliament - known as the Estates of Parliament - it's a unicameral legislature. It's membership is split into the Thrie Estaitis (Three Estates in Scots):
  • The First Estate contains the Scottish nobility and the Lords of Parliament (minor Scottish nobles) - ITTL these are known as the Lord Highs, a reference to the Scottish tradition of some nobles being known as the Lord High of Xxx. They are not elected and sit in Parliament by virtue of their noble titles. In the current Parliament this amounts to 71 members.
  • The Second Estate contains Scotland's Shire Commissioners - effectively the Scottish equivalent of English MPs for the Shire constituencies (large rural areas). There are 89 Shire Commissioners in the current Parliament.
  • The Third Estate contains Scotland's Burgh Commissioners - again the equivalent of English MPs but this time from Burgh constituencies (towns and cities). There are 67 Burgh Commissioners in the current Parliament.
  • Despite the Parliament officially having Three Estates, there is technically a Fourth Estate. These members are called Officers of State - i.e. Crown Minister's of Scotland's executive (known as The Articles). They are allowed to sit and vote in Parliament by virtue of their appointment to Crown Offices by the Monarch.
  • In terms of the size of Parliament it's important to note that it's not a fixed number. Because it's a unicameral legislature, technically the Monarch could just create a whole new bunch of nobles and officers of the state to ensure they were able to out vote the elected Commissioners. In order to avoid this, the crafty Scottish legislators passed a bill that said every time a new member of the First Estate is created, a Shire Commissioner is created as well to maintain the balance between the upper nobility and the influence of the commissioners and freeholders (this is OTL as well, they actually did this).
  • However, in an effort to not have to change the numbers every election - I've generally kept the seats in the Estates at 233 (its number during the 1707 Parliament). I'm sure the numbers will vary at somepoint though as the Timeline develops.

Last edited:
I am forecasting FAR into the future, but since it's just going to be England and Ireland from now on. Perhaps this idea will get more traction here in England than in OTL.

Essentially, the founder of Sinn Fein proposed an "Anglo-Irish dual Monarchy" type along the lines of Austria-Hungary with him arguing that the Irish could learn from the Hungarians playing hardball with the Austrians to get co-equal status and replicate it in their own country with regard to England. With Scotland out of the picture, this arrangement could be a lot more likely.