Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
1674053373316.png

Something about this map is different. Different then the next one.
1674053465431.png

What is the difference?

Safavid Empire: Conquest of Shah Ismail

Conquest-of-Shah-Ismail-01.png

Description

After the fall of Selim the Grim at the Battle of Chaldiran, Shah Ismail I set his eyes on expanding his worldly realm across the known world. His feat of triumphs has manifested his visage of a messianic personality into grander heights, paving an empire that stretches from the banks of the Danube to the mighty rivers of the Indus.

He faced foes greater than his own: From the steel-clad Hungarians and Austrians to the monstrous mounts of Lodi of Dehli, Ismail galloped across the known world and crushed them through the sheer determination of his warriors and his ingenuity in adopting great technologies, with thousands of hundreds of people marching on his side.

His empire is diverse as it is mighty. Countless people from every corner of the world are under the authority of the Shah. From the lowly farmer or a prosperous merchant, they fill the empire's coffers with the abundance of their trade. And his court is filled with Christians, Buddhists, and Muslims of different sects standing side-by-side.

He passed away in 1547 as he was struck by a lone during his final campaign against the Mamluk remnants. His death paved a steady decline of the empire as the subjects of the Safavids began to carve his empire. However, his name will forever be written in the annals of history, cementing an epithet worthy of his legacy - Ismail the Great.

Author's Note

If you folks are wondering, this piece is primarily a retread of my old work - [here's the link]. Just like the previous iteration, this map basically an excuse for me to try out some cool design I've been tinkering with, especially when I stumbled upon some cool hillshades from NaturalEarth.com a few months back.

I did have plans to make it rich with detail, like showcasing neighboring states and more map keys but I scrapped them due to feature creep. I was wondering what to add but I slowly appreciate the fact that it's not a cluttered mess.

So, if you're expecting a detailed background as to how Shah Ismail went full Alexander ITTL, unfortunately, you won't find it here. Sorry, my dudes.
I'm guessing they must've had a hard time occupying and conquering Constantinople, judging by the name.

The Caucasian Democratic Federal Republic​

ri4nyud11nca1.png

Formed from the ashes of the collapsing Russian Empire, the Caucasian Republic is a plurinational federation of smaller nations uniting to defend their sovereignty from the vultures of Turkey, Iran, and the Red Army.

ri4nyud11nca1.png

Formed from the ashes of the collapsing Russian Empire, the Caucasian Republic is a plurinational federation of smaller nations uniting to defend their sovereignty from the vultures of Turkey, Iran, and the Red Army.
United Caucasia? Includes Dagestan?!

FbZXwEAUcAA96ki.png

cool map! the country has a week to live. rip cdfr

ri4nyud11nca1.png

Nice map, just a few things. One, I noticed the flag is similar to the Homosexuality flag. That seems like a unique flag for a nation. Two, that is a big Turkish Republic. Three, the capital is Tblisi, nice choice, and Four, this nation should have tried and obtained the entirety of the caucasus.

Nice map, just a few things. One, I noticed the flag is similar to the Homosexuality flag. That seems like a unique flag for a nation. Two, that is a big Turkish Republic. Three, the capital is Tblisi, nice choice, and Four, this nation should have tried and obtained the entirety of the caucasus.
Every word of what you just said was wrong. The flag is based on an early flag proposal for the first Republic of Armenia designed by Martiros Saryan. Turkey isn't big, you can't see the entirety of Turkey in this image even; if anything it's smaller since Kars, Artvin, and Ardahan have been ceded to the Caucasian Republic. Tbilisi is only the capital of the constituent Republic of Georgia, you'll see that Yerevan, Baku, and Anji have the exact same appearance as Tbilisi.

Every word of what you just said was wrong. The flag is based on an early flag proposal for the first Republic of Armenia designed by Martiros Saryan. Turkey isn't big, you can't see the entirety of Turkey in this image even; if anything it's smaller since Kars, Artvin, and Ardahan have been ceded to the Caucasian Republic. Tbilisi is only the capital of the constituent Republic of Georgia, you'll see that Yerevan, Baku, and Anji have the exact same appearance as Tbilisi.
I apologize.
I never said that the flag was inspired by the homosexuality flag. I just said that it looks similar to it.
It looks like Turkey owns parts of Iran, but now that I took a closer look, it was just the map projection that made it look like that.
Tbilisi was the only one I could see clearly.

TL;DR, you showed me that i was wrong about some things, but sometimes people interpret things the way they weren't supposed to be interpreted.

Worked up some Pre-Columbian contact maps. These are all based on current theories/myths/historical evidence;
Feel free to use the information however you want.
ASIA-CHINA.PNG
OLMEC.PNG
POLYNESIAN.PNG
VIKING-NORSE.PNG
WELSH AND FRAUDS.PNG

Every word of what you just said was wrong.
Its not wrong to say that the flag is similar to the pride flag, its just a fact, since both are rainbow colored. And it is also not false to say that it is unique for a nation, since most nations don't have that many colors on their flags.

Worked up some Pre-Columbian contact maps. These are all based on current theories/myths/historical evidence
I know I've expressed this sentiment elsewhere but I do frankly think a map like this is fundamentally dangerous. Reporting these theories uncritically* doesn't make you unbiased, it makes you unwittingly complacent. I've fixated mostly on the
concepts of Welsh contact since I find it particularly niche and particularly oddball. I'm pressed for time so I can't elaborate further, I apologize.
*Yes, I know there's a table here, but you can't be like "Oh of course this claim is disputed, this one's discredited. Not the Welsh people inhabiting the Plains, jury's out on that front.

Last edited:
I know I've expressed this sentiment elsewhere but I do frankly think a map like this is fundamentally dangerous. Reporting these theories uncritically doesn't make you unbiased, it makes you unwittingly complacent. I've fixated mostly on the concepts of Welsh contact since I find it particularly niche and particularly oddball. I'm pressed for time so I can't elaborate further, I apologize.

He does point out that some have been discredited and includes evidence against the theories as well thought.

I know I've expressed this sentiment elsewhere but I do frankly think a map like this is fundamentally dangerous. Reporting these theories uncritically doesn't make you unbiased, it makes you unwittingly complacent. I've fixated mostly on the concepts of Welsh contact since I find it particularly niche and particularly oddball. I'm pressed for time so I can't elaborate further, I apologize.
You have which is why these versions have a for and against column. As before, I like people to make up their own minds not impose my ideas, their beliefs are up to them.

A larger version of the map in this post. After the Russians accept the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk on the initial (more lenient) terms, without the Germans needing to continue the eastern offensives as per Faustschlact OTL, the Germans have less territory in the east to occupy, and decide to add most of the 1 million troops they kept in the east IOTL to the 1918 Spring Offensive. With even larger numerical superiority, the Germans are able to have greater initial success and breakthroughs, gaining substantially more (and more important) territory while pushing the French to momentarily consider suing for peace. But the French and the Entente as a whole persevere, and the German offensive still bogs down and is halted, with the Germans so close to Paris but with very uncertain prospects for their future in the war

Kaiserschlact map.png

(Used this map from Wikimedia as a base)

Out of curiosity , what city are they using as an overall capital?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Worked up some Pre-Columbian contact maps. These are all based on current theories/myths/historical evidence;
Feel free to use the information however you want.
View attachment 803649View attachment 803650View attachment 803651View attachment 803652View attachment 803653
You literally came back from a kick in the last couple hours for posting "the incredibly specific offense of spamming off-topic nonsense in the Map Thread" and you post this?

Seriously?

Let's try another week.

I strongly recommend you take the hint this time.

See ya in 7.

BTW: There is a three image per thread per day limit, so we'll fold that into this action.

You literally came back from a kick in the last couple hours for posting "the incredibly specific offense of spamming off-topic nonsense in the Map Thread" and you post this?

Seriously?

Let's try another week.

I strongly recommend you take the hint this time.

See ya in 7.

BTW: There is a three image per thread per day limit, so we'll fold that into this action.
Just glancing at it, what’s the problem besides the three image rule? It is a collection of maps, so it seems on topic.

Not trying to challenge the decision, just curious about the reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.