Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have loved our trips into the world of business clashings and I adore the write-ups of the films we've had, I do really love these election results.

And holy shit, what a chaotic result! A veritable car crash of chaotic confusion! Seems like we're getting some of the southern realignment early. Disappointed to see that Fay "God's little protective shield" managed to get in but it is what it is. Definitely makes sense with the national mood at the time that Dodrickson wins, same with Bob Seale in Nevada especially given how close that election was in OTL. Interesting to see Dole stick around longer than in OTL, wonder how that's going to affect things. Happy to see Ferrano stick around but disappointed to lose Feingold, even if Klug is better than expected. Keeping Faircloth is an interesting choice, makes sense all in all but that takes out another relevant figure in the political landscape. And of course, Fitz Hollings losing is the biggest shock of them all. Once again, Inglis is not the worst the state can do but even so.

Now to the House. Definitely interesting to see that there is considerably less turnover than might be expected. A sign of the times or just a result of the realignment not being quite there yet? Clem Balanoff's an interesting figure to get involved with the House. Jean Lesing getting in is interesting and makes sense. Kansas is clearly one of the states benefitting from Reform interjecting a bit of competition into the state. You appear to have mislabelled the race between Clyde C Hollaway and Chris John as a Dem hold when Hollaway is recorded as the victor. Delbert Hosemann getting in early is fun, as is Jack Brooks holding on despite it all. Sad that we have to lose Tammy Baldwin and Jay Inslee though, that sucks.

I'm still oddly happy thar Jack Coghill held onto the Alaska governorship. Brown, Scholetter and Groark winning is pretty fun, though I'm not sure about Mortham, wonder how she'll govern. Dick Kempthorne winning feels like we've been put back on track somewhat, as does Vilsack. And Dean Barkley! Well, seems like Reform's really giving some people a bit more of a boost!

And it's good to see some of the SoL personnel get taken down.

In reference to the bold, yeah that should be Rep Hold. It was and R hold on my spreadsheet so that didn't effect the macro amount.

As to the House, I was actually a bit surprised myself and was reluctant to commit to such a small shift in the House until after this current midterm had a small shift Without the Republican overreach over impeachment, at least as far as the electorate saw things, there's no reason for 1998 to behave as anything other than as a regular midterm. But, there's still the lingering problems for Republicans downballot coming from the Gingrich campaign, not just because he lost but how he lost. IOTL, the RNC Chairman went to Dole and bascially said, "you're going to lose, can we save some of the cash to hold on downballot" and he agreed as a longtime Party Man. Here Gingrich wasn't so helpful and so there's still a hangover from the lack of help from the top of the ticket.

In short, trends are trends, but they can be slowed or sped up depending on various actions. Anyway, glad you enjoy these! I enjoy working on them.

First off, thanks again to @jpj1421 for the election help.

And holy shit, what a chaotic result!
Yes, I was amused to see such a mixed result. I wanted "interesting" and he provided for sure!

As to the House, I was actually a bit surprised myself and was reluctant to commit to such a small shift in the House until after this current midterm had a small shift
Yeah, it was strange to see life imitate art in this case. Also interesting to see how the Stripeback trend has muted some of the OTL polarization by giving moderate or non-mainstream candidates an easy way to separate themselves from the national party.

Ok, but how are SCP's attempts at dubbing anime, as well as anime doing in general because we haven't heard from it in a LOOOONNNGGGGGG time, and I know that CapsuMon must have premiered by now.
As mentioned more than once, I don't plan to dig too much into the details on anime dubbing (that's not a particular obsession of mine). Other than a small mention here and there, don't expect to see anything else about it.

In fact, if you and the other Otaku really want more Anime stuff in the TL, I recommend making a guest post.

First off, thanks again to @jpj1421 for the election help.

Yes, I was amused to see such a mixed result. I wanted "interesting" and he provided for sure!

Yeah, it was strange to see life imitate art in this case. Also interesting to see how the Stripeback trend has muted some of the OTL polarization by giving moderate or non-mainstream candidates an easy way to separate themselves from the national party.

As mentioned more than once, I don't plan to dig too much into the details on anime dubbing (that's not a particular obsession of mine). Other than a small mention here and there, don't expect to see anything else about it.

In fact, if you and the other Otaku really want more Anime stuff in the TL, I recommend making a guest post.
Ok.

Two-Thousand Four-Hundred Twenty-Nine Minutes
Off Broadway & On the Tube
From Pizazz! The Fabulous History of Musical Theater from Broadway and Beyond, by Tony Worthy

Based on an idea by Mrs. Khan

The Road to Ruin was a watershed moment in musical entertainment. That’s been established. ‘Nuff said.

But that had an absolutely crazy effect on Broadway and the Small Screen alike. By this point Disney had basically taken over Broadway, which even became a joke in The Road to Ruin. Why wouldn’t it? Disney knew what they’d done. I mean, seriously: Muppets Way Off Broadway, Muppetational!, The Producers, War of the Worlds, Aladdin, The Lion King, even (ironically) The Road to Ruin itself were all produced by La Souris himself! And those are just the successful shows! (Sorry, The Dark Crystal; console yourself with that stage design award.)

Universal, Warner, and Columbia all followed suit, either buying up theaters or grabbing stakes in theater chains. Michael Eisner snagged a big stake in the Nederlander Company for Columbia in 1996 in what was probably the biggest move into theater. So, by the late 1990s Broadway itself was practically locked out for anything that wasn’t already a part of a media conglomerate. If you were a talented up-and-coming theater writer, well, gurl, tough titty. Get a job as a set designer or something because your original show had little to no chance of making it to Broadway unless you were willing to write something based on Daffy Duck.

So, well, talent needed to look elsewhere and the same kind of forces that diverted Ashman and Menken to write for Disney Animation were leading would-be Broadway performers to other opportunities. Sadly, Feature Animation was increasingly in the hands of established stage musical producers (my God, even Sondheim!) so even the sainted Howard’s coattails were cut off!

Meanwhile, Thomas Schumacher was totally done with Broadway and just about totally done with Disney. He’d tried to transfer out of Theater and into Animation, and had done well, but Glen Keane was promoted to the job that he wanted, so he nearly left for Warner or Filmation or Universal. But Bernie Brillstein at MGM pulled him into The Road to Ruin before releasing him back to Theatrical Productions.

But then the Schu-man saw filming on Joss Whedon’s insane Final Girl Musical Episode[1], which aired in ’96. It won an Emmy. Now, most saw a one-time stunt in this, but Tom saw the Future of Television in those tap-dancing demons. Or I should say he saw half of the Future of TV.

He saw the other half Off Broadway.

Specifically, he saw Jonathan Larson. You may have heard of him.

Well, Schumacher, based on the recommendation of Sondheim, with whom he’d been working on adapting Into the Woods and who’d been writing the music for Heart of Ice, went to see Tick, Tick…Boom! Off Broadway in 1995. And when Sondheim tells you that you need to see a show, however small, you see the damned show!

He was floored. I mean, it was so original and groundbreaking! There was such a youthful energy to it. It was like nothing else. True. Meaningful. Addressing serious topics in a meaningful but entertaining way. He approached Larson and asked him what else he was working on. Larson showed him a workshop he was doing of Rent. Schumacher was beyond floored. This was, he realized, the future of musical theater.

Rentpostera.jpg

Larson had lined up an Off-Broadway venue and was fighting to get the show on Broadway, and the Nederlander had showed a lot of interest, but by this point Columbia had a stake in the Nederlander Company and was pushing for them to do their Forrest Gump show (which while I like the film well enough, the show was just awful, just saying). So Schumacher tried to get it a slot at a Disney-linked theater, but they were already booked with Lion King and all. And eventually Schumacher did get Rent on Broadway, but in the meantime he helped set it up Off Broadway.

But that’s just the beginning of the story.

Schumacher took Jamie Tarses at NBC to see Larson. Disney and NBC were in talks for a merger at the time, and it seemed likely that the two would soon work for the same company, but even if the merger fell through both knew that NBC was exactly the network for something like Rent. “We need to get this on Television!” he said. He was thinking of a live performance on NBC, produced by Hyperion. A one-time event to take advantage of an audience primed for a renewed interest in musical entertainment.

She was thinking something more: a TV Series.

“Hear me out, Tom: an ongoing musical drama series,” she told him, pausing to take another long drag on her ubiquitous cigarette (or so I like to imagine it happened – I’m shameless, I know!). “He has the characters. He has the vibe. Final Girl [the Musical episode] polled through the roof with Test Audiences. TV is primed for this!”

Schumacher grabbed Larson and Tarses and flew them both out to LA to meet with Bernie Brillstein.

Now, here’s where things get super-dramatic: on the flight, Larson started having chest pains and other signs of heart attack! They took him straight to Cedars-Sinai to one of the best cardiologists that they knew. He rushed Larson into surgery! Larson had an aortic dissection[2], which let me assure you is as bad as it sounds. Any day it could have ruptured and he’d have died in seconds! They fixed the dissection and he recovered. Whew! The world nearly lost a genius just at the moment he was breaking out! He was later diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, which they see in Hollywood fairly frequently since those with Marfan (like Chewbacca star Peter Mayhew) are often very tall.

But, crisis averted, Schumacher, Tarses, and Larson pushed the idea for Rent: The Series even before it’s 1996 Off Broadway debut. Brillstein was skeptical (naturally) that a TV series could carry a musical experience for more than a single stunt episode, but he agreed to support a Pilot. In the meantime, Larson was asked by Steven Spielberg to write a musical episode for ER, because by this point why not? While all expected George Clooney to steal the show, it would be Ming-Na Wen who became the breakout star from this, leading to her career breakout, starting with a revival of Madame Butterfly. Unfortunately, this “career” was a typecast as “Asian Lounge Singer of questionable repute”. Typical. When Joss Whedon ultimately approached her for a certain Sci-Fi show, asking her to audition for a “hooker with a heart of gold” role, she stood her ground. “Captain or nothing, Joss.” God, I love her.

Anyway.

Rent: The Pilot debuted in early 1998. Anthony Rapp continued his role as the lead (and narrator) Mark, Neil Patrick Harris was recruited to play Roger in his big return to TV, Marcy Harriell played Mimi, Jesse L. Martin reprised his role as Tom, Wilson Cruz was recruited for Angel, the divine Idina Menzel stayed on as Maureen in her TV debut, Fredi Walker stayed on as Joanne, and Taye Diggs reprised his role as Benny. Series choreographer Savion Glover even made recurring appearances as The Squeegee Man, a homeless man with an incredible talent for dance who served as a source for wisdom and wry observation. It was an epically diverse cast for the time, and included lots of demographics like Trans Women (Angel) which was revolutionary for the time.

By this point Tarses had moved on to PFN and Les Moonves had taken over at NBC, only to quickly leave for The WB after getting caught pressuring actresses like Idina for sex in exchange for fame (OMG, what a shithead!). Even before this, musical episodes were starting to become a thing for existing shows, with even Kenosha getting a musical episode (which, let’s face it, as great of a Dramedy[3] as it was, they did not have the cast to pull that off!). So having an all-musical show wasn’t quite as thoroughly insane as it might have been any other year. The Pilot got great numbers and so Rent: The Series was greenlit with the same cast as the Pilot.

Rent: The Series debuted for the Fall ’98 season and it took over the Tuesday Night lineup, becoming the Tuesday Night anchor. The combination of the fun, rocking soundtrack and the youthful energy attracted that coveted 16-40 demographic, grabbing a wide swath of demographics with its diverse cast (basically anyone who was not a racist homophobe was tuning in, and frankly so did a lot of people who were!) and it made NBC a lot of money and helped put them back at the top of the ratings. The death of Angel to AIDS, which had been alluded to for several episodes, occurred late in Season 2 in time for the 2000 Sweeps, and became a “Who Shot JR” level event that drove NBC back to the top of the ratings, becoming second only to the Super Bowl that year.

1ffcb6cdf1302c5b4c1857381fedb34c-rent-obc-hr.jpg

(Image source Playbill)

Many expressed actual shock that they actually killed a popular main character (it would have been like Happy Days killing Fonzie!). Larson told The Today Show “That was one of the main points of the show. The tragedy of AIDS. If you don’t get that decision, then you don’t get Rent.” The ratings took a hit without the popular and scene-stealing Angel (though there were a few flashback appearances, because they’re not evil), but it still made great numbers. Other characters would “die of AIDS” later on as actors left the show (the ultimate “trap door”), to the point where “Rent Character dies of AIDS” became a running gag in comedy circles, with Roger ultimately dying in the finale. It would run for 5 seasons and was cancelled largely because Larson insisted on quitting while he was ahead. A non-Larson-linked spin-off called Breakout, following some of the surviving characters moving to LA, died a quick death. Not from AIDS, but from Ratings.

And, well, obviously to us after the fact, it was a breakout hit, but seriously nobody expected that to happen. Some people say that all the musical episodes and the Tween musical stuff on Teen Disney like Helium Kids and of course The Road to Ruin had “primed the well” for a show as daring as Rent, and maybe they did, but I think that the bigger issue was that by the late 1990s with a whole new millennium looming audiences were sick to death of the same formulaic crap again and again year after year. “Oh, hey, another three-camera Sitcom. Yaay.” “Ooh, look, another Hospital Drama. Hooray.” “How wonderful, yet another Law & Order spinoff. Break open the effing champaign, gurl!”

Let’s face it. Anything truly fresh and original was bound to break out in that era. They could have followed Gary Bussey around with a camera. They could have brought back the $64,000 Question starring Regis Philbin or launched celebrity cooking competitions. They could have mixed The Prisoner with Gilligan’s Island and marketed it as a cerebral action-drama and it would have been a breakout hit at that point. It just happened that TV Musicals became that “new thing”.

So naturally, with Rent setting the stage, as it were, everyone else followed suit and 1998-2008 became “the decade of the TV Musical”. In addition to multiple existing series getting Musical Episodes, there was a flurry of TV Musical series launched between 1999 and 2004. CBS launched the C&W themed musical series Smokey Mountain Jamboree in partnership with Dolly Parton’s Sandollar in 1999 and the hip-hop themed Project made with Oprah’s Harpo Productions in 2001. ABC launched Cheer in ‘99. NBC and Judd Apatow launched Losers in 2000 as a response. ABC re-countered with the Cheer spinoff Glee Club Rejects in 2001. Steve Bochco even resurrected Cop Rock in 2000, and this time made it actually work, eventually bringing over Jesse L. Martin after the end of Rent[4]. PFN asked Trey Parker and Matt Stone to relaunch the totally ahead of its time musical TV series Time Warped, but they instead pitched and got greenlit Gold Rush, an irreverent and surreal comedy musical western that followed prospectors, homesteaders, cowboys, Native Americans, and even Mormon missionaries in the American West; it debuted in 2001 and gained a rabid cult following. The WB launched the musical teen drama The Valley set in the San Fernando Valley of LA in 1999 and made a musical version of the comic Shazam! in 2002. CBS even relaunched The Flintstones as a musical series in 1999, helmed by the talented young Seth MacFarlane[5] in his first solo project, which naturally turned weirdly popular and popularly weird.

And that was just the tip of the iceberg as other musical shows appeared on all five networks and all over Cable and musical episodes became an ongoing stunt episode.

And frankly few if any of them honestly delved into the serious issues that Rent did, at least in a more than a superficial way. Well, Losers and Project both did pretty good by this score. Cop Rock tried, God bless it.

So, yea, Tom Schumacher took a little trip to see an Off Broadway one man show at the suggestion of Sondheim and suddenly TV Musicals are a thing for a decade. They fell out of fashion in the 2010s, naturally, and Musical Episodes, when they happened, were inevitably dripping with irony from that point forward. But just as Disco was reevaluated in the 1990s and 2000s, we’re starting to unironically see Musical TV again.

Larson, of course, has had an ongoing career in stage and screen. Schumacher, of course, became a high-level executive at Disney-NBC Television after this, and a member of the Disney-NBC board. One of the first things that he did was set aside one of the Disney-linked theaters on Broadway exclusively for original productions by talented producers not linked to existing IP.

Lin Manuel was one of its first.

Isn’t it funny how things like this can work out?

[1] Joss Whedon reportedly had wanted to do a Buffy musical episode from the very beginning of the show. Here, production of The Road to Ruin has spurred him to do it sooner.

[2] In our timeline he experienced chest pains, dizziness, and other signs of serious heart issues, but the doctors at Cabrini Medical Center and St. Vincent's Hospital completely missed the dissection and misdiagnosed Larson with flu or stress. He died of a rupture in January of 1996 just as Rent was breaking out Off Broadway. NY State investigators faulted the hospital, noting that with surgical intervention he could have lived. Here, the pressure change of the flight led to a blood pressure change that initiated some of the symptoms.

[3] More on this in an upcoming guest post.

[4] At one point Jerry Orbach will guest star as a corrupt ADA.

[5] Hat tip to @nick_crenshaw82, of course. MacFarlane’s Larry & Steve pitch and pilot were rejected by CBS and Cartoon City for being superficially a bit too much like My Dog Zero and Wallace & Gromit. However, he jumps at the idea of running The Flintstones and ends up pitching it as the first animated musical TV show.

They could have mixed The Prisoner with Gilligan’s Island and marketed it as a cerebral action-drama and it would have been a breakout hit at that point
See spy an allohistorical reference to a certain show from OTL about... surviving... a wilderness location.

I'll take the musicals any day, no matter how good or bad, over the unceasing franchise zombie of that show.

Hmm, Firefly with Ming-Na Wen as Mal? That'd help cover for one of the biggest OTL criticisms of the show (using Chinese culture with no Chinese actors). And I am personally gunning for Nathan Filion to play this show's version of Inara.

Other characters would “die of AIDS” later on as actors left the show (the ultimate “trap door”), to the point where “Rent Character dies of AIDS” became a running gag in comedy circles, with Roger ultimately dying in the finale. It would run for 5 seasons and was cancelled largely because Larson insisted on quitting while he was ahead. A non-Larson-linked spin-off called Breakout, following some of the surviving characters moving to LA, died a quick death. Not from AIDS, but from Ratings.
I swear if this becomes some kind of trope on alt-TVTropes I'm gonna laugh and cry.

So naturally, with Rent setting the stage, as it were, everyone else followed suit and 1998-2008 became “the decade of the TV Musical”. In addition to multiple existing series getting Musical Episodes, there was a flurry of TV Musical series launched between 1999 and 2004.
Not my favorite trend from this timeline, IMO, though I suppose it is unique, I guess.

While all expected George Clooney to steal the show, it would be Ming-Na Wen who became the breakout star from this, leading to her career breakout, starting with a revival of Madame Butterfly. Unfortunately, this “career” was a typecast as “Asian Lounge Singer of questionable repute”. Typical. When Joss Whedon ultimately approached her for a certain Sci-Fi show, asking her to audition for a “hooker with a heart of gold” role, she stood her ground. “Captain or nothing, Joss.” God, I love her.
An alt-Firefly with a female Captain? And it's with Ming-Na Wen? Dude, she could totally carry this show, as much as I will miss Nathan Fillon. Just make sure that it lasts more than 1 season (2? Maybe 3? Please?)

And, well, obviously to us after the fact, it was a breakout hit, but seriously nobody expected that to happen. Some people say that all the musical episodes and the Tween musical stuff on Teen Disney like Helium Kids
Oh yeah, that's a thing. 😉

Outside of the big hit that was Rent: The Series, which I would probably check out due to curiosity, I'd want to watch Seth's Flintstones reboot, being an animated musical TV show, the most.

But the idea that Hamilton is an actual Disney musical? *chef's kiss* Encore! Encore!

Off Broadway & On the Tube
From Pizazz! The Fabulous History of Musical Theater from Broadway and Beyond, by Tony Worthy

Based on an idea by Mrs. Khan

The Road to Ruin was a watershed moment in musical entertainment. That’s been established. ‘Nuff said.

But that had an absolutely crazy effect on Broadway and the Small Screen alike. By this point Disney had basically taken over Broadway, which even became a joke in The Road to Ruin. Why wouldn’t it? Disney knew what they’d done. I mean, seriously: Muppets Way Off Broadway, Muppetational!, The Producers, War of the Worlds, Aladdin, The Lion King, even (ironically) The Road to Ruin itself were all produced by La Souris himself! And those are just the successful shows! (Sorry, The Dark Crystal; console yourself with that stage design award.)

Universal, Warner, and Columbia all followed suit, either buying up theaters or grabbing stakes in theater chains. Michael Eisner snagged a big stake in the Nederlander Company for Columbia in 1996 in what was probably the biggest move into theater. So, by the late 1990s Broadway itself was practically locked out for anything that wasn’t already a part of a media conglomerate. If you were a talented up-and-coming theater writer, well, gurl, tough titty. Get a job as a set designer or something because your original show had little to no chance of making it to Broadway unless you were willing to write something based on Daffy Duck.

So, well, talent needed to look elsewhere and the same kind of forces that diverted Ashman and Menken to write for Disney Animation were leading would-be Broadway performers to other opportunities. Sadly, Feature Animation was increasingly in the hands of established stage musical producers (my God, even Sondheim!) so even the sainted Howard’s coattails were cut off!

Meanwhile, Thomas Schumacher was totally done with Broadway and just about totally done with Disney. He’d tried to transfer out of Theater and into Animation, and had done well, but Glen Keane was promoted to the job that he wanted, so he nearly left for Warner or Filmation or Universal. But Bernie Brillstein at MGM pulled him into The Road to Ruin before releasing him back to Theatrical Productions.

But then the Schu-man saw filming on Joss Whedon’s insane Final Girl Musical Episode[1], which aired in ’96. It won an Emmy. Now, most saw a one-time stunt in this, but Tom saw the Future of Television in those tap-dancing demons. Or I should say he saw half of the Future of TV.

He saw the other half Off Broadway.

Specifically, he saw Jonathan Larson. You may have heard of him.

Well, Schumacher, based on the recommendation of Sondheim, with whom he’d been working on adapting Into the Woods and who’d been writing the music for Heart of Ice, went to see Tick, Tick…Boom! Off Broadway in 1995. And when Sondheim tells you that you need to see a show, however small, you see the damned show!

He was floored. I mean, it was so original and groundbreaking! There was such a youthful energy to it. It was like nothing else. True. Meaningful. Addressing serious topics in a meaningful but entertaining way. He approached Larson and asked him what else he was working on. Larson showed him a workshop he was doing of Rent. Schumacher was beyond floored. This was, he realized, the future of musical theater.

Rentpostera.jpg

Larson had lined up an Off-Broadway venue and was fighting to get the show on Broadway, and the Nederlander had showed a lot of interest, but by this point Columbia had a stake in the Nederlander Company and was pushing for them to do their Forrest Gump show (which while I like the film well enough, the show was just awful, just saying). So Schumacher tried to get it a slot at a Disney-linked theater, but they were already booked with Lion King and all. And eventually Schumacher did get Rent on Broadway, but in the meantime he helped set it up Off Broadway.

But that’s just the beginning of the story.

Schumacher took Jamie Tarses at NBC to see Larson. Disney and NBC were in talks for a merger at the time, and it seemed likely that the two would soon work for the same company, but even if the merger fell through both knew that NBC was exactly the network for something like Rent. “We need to get this on Television!” he said. He was thinking of a live performance on NBC, produced by Hyperion. A one-time event to take advantage of an audience primed for a renewed interest in musical entertainment.

She was thinking something more: a TV Series.

“Hear me out, Tom: an ongoing musical drama series,” she told him, pausing to take another long drag on her ubiquitous cigarette (or so I like to imagine it happened – I’m shameless, I know!). “He has the characters. He has the vibe. Final Girl [the Musical episode] polled through the roof with Test Audiences. TV is primed for this!”

Schumacher grabbed Larson and Tarses and flew them both out to LA to meet with Bernie Brillstein.

Now, here’s where things get super-dramatic: on the flight, Larson started having chest pains and other signs of heart attack! They took him straight to Cedars-Sinai to one of the best cardiologists that they knew. He rushed Larson into surgery! Larson had an aortic dissection[2], which let me assure you is as bad as it sounds. Any day it could have ruptured and he’d have died in seconds! They fixed the dissection and he recovered. Whew! The world nearly lost a genius just at the moment he was breaking out! He was later diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, which they see in Hollywood fairly frequently since those with Marfan (like Chewbacca star Peter Mayhew) are often very tall.

But, crisis averted, Schumacher, Tarses, and Larson pushed the idea for Rent: The Series even before it’s 1996 Off Broadway debut. Brillstein was skeptical (naturally) that a TV series could carry a musical experience for more than a single stunt episode, but he agreed to support a Pilot. In the meantime, Larson was asked by Steven Spielberg to write a musical episode for ER, because by this point why not? While all expected George Clooney to steal the show, it would be Ming-Na Wen who became the breakout star from this, leading to her career breakout, starting with a revival of Madame Butterfly. Unfortunately, this “career” was a typecast as “Asian Lounge Singer of questionable repute”. Typical. When Joss Whedon ultimately approached her for a certain Sci-Fi show, asking her to audition for a “hooker with a heart of gold” role, she stood her ground. “Captain or nothing, Joss.” God, I love her.

Anyway.

Rent: The Pilot debuted in early 1998. Anthony Rapp continued his role as the lead (and narrator) Mark, Neil Patrick Harris was recruited to play Roger in his big return to TV, Marcy Harriell played Mimi, Jesse L. Martin reprised his role as Tom, Wilson Cruz was recruited for Angel, the divine Idina Menzel stayed on as Maureen in her TV debut, Fredi Walker stayed on as Joanne, and Taye Diggs reprised his role as Benny. Series choreographer Savion Glover even made recurring appearances as The Squeegee Man, a homeless man with an incredible talent for dance who served as a source for wisdom and wry observation. It was an epically diverse cast for the time, and included lots of demographics like Trans Women (Angel) which was revolutionary for the time.

By this point Tarses had moved on to PFN and Les Moonves had taken over at NBC, only to quickly leave for The WB after getting caught pressuring actresses like Idina for sex in exchange for fame (OMG, what a shithead!). Even before this, musical episodes were starting to become a thing for existing shows, with even Kenosha getting a musical episode (which, let’s face it, as great of a Dramedy[3] as it was, they did not have the cast to pull that off!). So having an all-musical show wasn’t quite as thoroughly insane as it might have been any other year. The Pilot got great numbers and so Rent: The Series was greenlit with the same cast as the Pilot.

Rent: The Series debuted for the Fall ’98 season and it took over the Tuesday Night lineup, becoming the Tuesday Night anchor. The combination of the fun, rocking soundtrack and the youthful energy attracted that coveted 16-40 demographic, grabbing a wide swath of demographics with its diverse cast (basically anyone who was not a racist homophobe was tuning in, and frankly so did a lot of people who were!) and it made NBC a lot of money and helped put them back at the top of the ratings. The death of Angel to AIDS, which had been alluded to for several episodes, occurred late in Season 2 in time for the 2000 Sweeps, and became a “Who Shot JR” level event that drove NBC back to the top of the ratings, becoming second only to the Super Bowl that year.

1ffcb6cdf1302c5b4c1857381fedb34c-rent-obc-hr.jpg

(Image source Playbill)

Many expressed actual shock that they actually killed a popular main character (it would have been like Happy Days killing Fonzie!). Larson told The Today Show “That was one of the main points of the show. The tragedy of AIDS. If you don’t get that decision, then you don’t get Rent.” The ratings took a hit without the popular and scene-stealing Angel (though there were a few flashback appearances, because they’re not evil), but it still made great numbers. Other characters would “die of AIDS” later on as actors left the show (the ultimate “trap door”), to the point where “Rent Character dies of AIDS” became a running gag in comedy circles, with Roger ultimately dying in the finale. It would run for 5 seasons and was cancelled largely because Larson insisted on quitting while he was ahead. A non-Larson-linked spin-off called Breakout, following some of the surviving characters moving to LA, died a quick death. Not from AIDS, but from Ratings.

And, well, obviously to us after the fact, it was a breakout hit, but seriously nobody expected that to happen. Some people say that all the musical episodes and the Tween musical stuff on Teen Disney like Helium Kids and of course The Road to Ruin had “primed the well” for a show as daring as Rent, and maybe they did, but I think that the bigger issue was that by the late 1990s with a whole new millennium looming audiences were sick to death of the same formulaic crap again and again year after year. “Oh, hey, another three-camera Sitcom. Yaay.” “Ooh, look, another Hospital Drama. Hooray.” “How wonderful, yet another Law & Order spinoff. Break open the effing champaign, gurl!”

Let’s face it. Anything truly fresh and original was bound to break out in that era. They could have followed Gary Bussey around with a camera. They could have brought back the $64,000 Question starring Regis Philbin or launched celebrity cooking competitions. They could have mixed The Prisoner with Gilligan’s Island and marketed it as a cerebral action-drama and it would have been a breakout hit at that point. It just happened that TV Musicals became that “new thing”.

So naturally, with Rent setting the stage, as it were, everyone else followed suit and 1998-2008 became “the decade of the TV Musical”. In addition to multiple existing series getting Musical Episodes, there was a flurry of TV Musical series launched between 1999 and 2004. CBS launched the C&W themed musical series Smokey Mountain Jamboree in partnership with Dolly Parton’s Sandollar in 1999 and the hip-hop themed Project made with Oprah’s Harpo Productions in 2001. ABC launched Cheer in ‘99. NBC and Judd Apatow launched Losers in 2000 as a response. ABC re-countered with the Cheer spinoff Glee Club Rejects in 2001. Steve Bochco even resurrected Cop Rock in 2000, and this time made it actually work, eventually bringing over Jesse L. Martin after the end of Rent[4]. PFN asked Trey Parker and Matt Stone to relaunch the totally ahead of its time musical TV series Time Warped, but they instead pitched and got greenlit Gold Rush, an irreverent and surreal comedy musical western that followed prospectors, homesteaders, cowboys, Native Americans, and even Mormon missionaries in the American West; it debuted in 2001 and gained a rabid cult following. The WB launched the musical teen drama The Valley set in the San Fernando Valley of LA in 1999 and made a musical version of the comic Shazam! in 2002. CBS even relaunched The Flintstones as a musical series in 1999, helmed by the talented young Seth MacFarlane[5] in his first solo project, which naturally turned weirdly popular and popularly weird.

And that was just the tip of the iceberg as other musical shows appeared on all five networks and all over Cable and musical episodes became an ongoing stunt episode.

And frankly few if any of them honestly delved into the serious issues that Rent did, at least in a more than a superficial way. Well, Losers and Project both did pretty good by this score. Cop Rock tried, God bless it.

So, yea, Tom Schumacher took a little trip to see an Off Broadway one man show at the suggestion of Sondheim and suddenly TV Musicals are a thing for a decade. They fell out of fashion in the 2010s, naturally, and Musical Episodes, when they happened, were inevitably dripping with irony from that point forward. But just as Disco was reevaluated in the 1990s and 2000s, we’re starting to unironically see Musical TV again.

Larson, of course, has had an ongoing career in stage and screen. Schumacher, of course, became a high-level executive at Disney-NBC Television after this, and a member of the Disney-NBC board. One of the first things that he did was set aside one of the Disney-linked theaters on Broadway exclusively for original productions by talented producers not linked to existing IP.

[1] Joss Whedon reportedly had wanted to do a Buffy musical episode from the very beginning of the show. Here, production of The Road to Ruin has spurred him to do it sooner.

[2] In our timeline he experienced chest pains, dizziness, and other signs of serious heart issues, but the doctors at Cabrini Medical Center and St. Vincent's Hospital completely missed the dissection and misdiagnosed Larson with flu or stress. He died of a rupture in January of 1996 just as Rent was breaking out Off Broadway. NY State investigators faulted the hospital, noting that with surgical intervention he could have lived. Here, the pressure change of the flight led to a blood pressure change that initiated some of the symptoms.

[3] More on this in an upcoming guest post.

[4] At one point Jerry Orbach will guest star as a corrupt ADA.

[5] Hat tip to @nick_crenshaw82, of course. MacFarlane’s Larry & Steve pitch and pilot were rejected by CBS and Cartoon City for being superficially a bit too much like My Dog Zero and Wallace & Gromit. However, he jumps at the idea of running The Flintstones and ends up pitching it as the first animated musical TV show.
Awesome!

And Teen DIsney?

Is that where all the tween stuff that aired on DIsney Channel when I was growing up(Hannah Montana, Liv and Maddie, Stuck in the Middle, Andi Mack, etc.) IOTL air ITTL?

One of the first things that he did was set aside one of the Disney-linked theaters on Broadway exclusively for original productions by talented producers not linked to existing IP.

Now I have an idea for a musical which mocks this trend.

While all expected George Clooney to steal the show, it would be Ming-Na Wen who became the breakout star from this,
Maybe reading too much into it, but I'm taking this as a deep cut reference to how the Coen Brothers cast Clooney in Oh Brother Where Art Thou due to thinking he'd have at least some of his aunt Rosemary's singing ability, but were quite disappointed with the results and ended up dubbing him.

Talk about a "West Side" Story!
Happy Gnu Year, all! Hope you have a good one. Time to start working on breaking those resolutions.
Gnu_head.jpg

Chapter 15, The Aggravating Art of Adaption (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Where Did I Go Right? (or: You’re No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead), by Bernie Brillstein (with Cheryl Henson)

Frankly some of the best adaptions are the ones where you take something classic, like Romeo & Juliet, and adapt it for modern audiences, like West Side Story. In this way you have something classic and beloved, but also hip and modern, and if you’ve done it right (like with West Side Story) you have an equally beloved classic.

And yea, many of you see where I’m going with this already.

I can’t say I’m the hippest guy when it comes to rap or hip-hop. Are those the same thing, or subtly different? The hell if I know. But back in the mid-‘90s while The Road to Ruin was defying all expectations and becoming a worldwide phenomenon Spike called me up and told me that he had a friend looking to make a musical.

I wasn’t a part of the film side anymore, but I heard him out. “Sure,” I said, “What have you got?”

He told me, and I hardly knew what to say. A rapper named Tupac Shakur had approached him for a modern-day Romeo & Juliet musical in the West Side Story vein, but with hip-hop. “He calls it a real ‘West Side’ story, if you get what I’m saying.”

I didn’t get it, but I thought it over anyway. A hip-hop musical? Somehow, I doubted that suburban housewives would be lining up down the street to see it, but Rent had surprised us all and I was sure at the time that it at least had a niche appeal, so I heard him out.

He showed up the next day with Tupac and his friend Biggie in tow and I dragged in Tom Schumacher, who was still over on the MGM side. I knew about Tupac by reputation. He and Biggie were building a two-coast rap empire and Tupac was hot in Hollywood with an Oscar nom under his belt. Rumor had it that he’d be playing a role in the upcoming Star Wars film. He was also good, which as always is more important than hot in the long run. And his idea was straight forward enough. Like WSS it would be a retelling of the Shakespeare classic, but featuring a mostly-black cast and set in LA in the present day. Like WSS it followed street gangs rather than merchant clans, the Monarchs and the Caps in this case. Tupac would play the Mercutio-type mentor role of Mercury, with his young Romeo-like protégé Rolls, to be played by Chris Kelly of Kris-Kross fame. Aaliyah was tapped for the Juliet role, Jewel, backed by Biggie as the sociopathic Tybalt-type character of Baller. Other hip-hop stars like Ice Cube, Ice-T, Snoop Dog, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah, Biz Markie, and Chris Smith (the other half of Kris-Kross) would play supporting roles. Tupac and Biggie’s friends Freddie Mercury and Kurt Cobain would have small roles as essentially the Friars[1]. Tupac wrote the screenplay with Spike, Spike would direct, and Tupac and Biggie collaborated on the sound track.

Kris_Kross.JPG

Chris Smith (L) and Chris Kelly (R) in 1996

Now, I won’t lie. It was a hard sell. Not only were they trying to fill the Bard’s shoes, but Sondheim’s too. Tupac and Spike had some big feet in the metaphorical sense, but it took some big swinging baitsim to even try and stand with those giants. And that’s before the race thing comes into it, which, let’s face it, was a thing that you couldn’t ignore. Admittedly, though, Sondheim had defied the odds and made Puerto Ricans play with white audiences even back when half the country still had segregated bathrooms.

And talking with Tupac won me over. He related how R&J played when he was growing up. He mentioned about how much Shakespeare in particular resonated with him[2]. How timeless it was. How much the Bard’s words were still applicable even in East LA.

And best yet from a monetary standpoint, he was doing everything “real” as he called it, filmed on location on the streets when he could or on sound stages when he couldn’t. The choreography would be like what you saw on MTV at the time. No big effects or Busby Berkeley numbers. No fancy costumes. No elaborate sets. Just some nice cars and costume jewelry. All in all, Spike told me they could do it for under $30 million.

Sold.

They titled it Crossed (though they styled it cЯoSsɘD on the poster) which was a play on the whole “star-crossed” thing and perhaps a callback to Kris-Kross, but I’m guessing on that latter part. It also caused unending confusing within the studio since Selena was in post on her Crossed by the Border, which was also in part a musical.

So with Crossed, MGM really pushed its way out of their comfort zone, and honestly some of the rappers were a little out of their comfort zone working with the openly gay Tom Schumacher as MGM’s Executive Producer, though Spike stuck up for him. It seemed an odd mix at the time to anyone on the outside, but art recognized art and soon all were working together to make something great. Some have asked me how I could work with “gang bangers”. Please, I’ve dealt with gangsters all my life, from the Five Families of New York to the drug gangs of LA that hung on the periphery of the music scene. And Tupac isn’t a “banger”, he just “writes what he sees”. But in the end, I wasn’t really an active part of the movie. I’d just set up the deal. I was NBC by this point, not MGM. Give “props” as Tupac would say to Tom.

And yet, right from the start drama happened, and over the soundtrack, specifically who was releasing it. Tupac and Biggie had their own minor label by this point, and wanted to release the music that they wrote. Hyperion Music, of course, wanted to release it under the MGM label. And, naturally, Jive’s R. Kelly, who was mentoring and managing Aaliyah, wanted Jive to release it. Jive became the compromise label since Hyperion had a 40% stake in it by this point, and we agreed to a profit-sharing arrangement that satisfied all, with the official release bearing all three labels and Tupac and Biggie and Aaliyah all free to release their own “remix” albums.

But the bigger drama was, needless to say, the deal surrounding R. Kelly and Aaliyah. Geraldo and other muckrakers were making hay about a rumored “secret illegal wedding” between the then-15 Aaliyah and the then-27 Kelly back in 1994. Naturally having Disney underwrite Kelly’s label was like having a dead whale wash up on vulture island. Geraldo brought up fucking Kevin Spacey again, and started insinuating that there was a “pattern of behavior” here. The Legal Weasels shut him up, or at least got him to modulate his accusations, but not before the internet and talk radio blowhards grabbed the ball and ran with it. We had to launch some serious damage control after that.

And while I’m legally not at liberty to divulge all that happened next, I will say that Kelly soon left Jive and Aaliyah found a new manager there. We soon bought up a controlling interest in Jive and set some clear boundaries on what was permitted and what most assuredly was not. Kelly’s crimes, of course, eventually caught up to him, but that’s another story.

And just to be absolutely clear, Disney and MGM do not tolerate child abuse. We have, I will let you know, spent millions of dollars over the years that we were not legally obligated to spend, mind you, to protect our underaged performers. We love Aaliyah, and we’ve provided her and her family with whatever resources that she’s needed to heal from the trauma of it all and rehabilitate her name, which as the victim was unfairly smeared.

But despite all of that drama, production continued. For the most part it went well. Spike had the respect of all of the cast and worked with them to craft exactly the story that they wanted to tell, and MGM did their part and stayed the hell out of the way other than work with Spike to get a T-rated cut approved for wide release. Since Tupac specifically wanted young people to see it, he was amenable to making sure the language and drugs and violence stayed within bounds.

In fact, about the biggest production problem beyond the usual “egos at play” stuff you get in any production was when they were filming at-night on-location in East LA. Some actual real gangsters mistook them at first for a rival gang. At first Biggie ran his mouth, or so I hear, and things almost turned ugly before one of the gangsters recognized Biggie and Tupac. Suddenly the gang was hanging on the set and providing “security” and getting a quick gig as extras, which soon almost caused its own issues when one of the gangsters wouldn’t take “no” for an answer with Aaliyah! Security intervened and it almost got really ugly. Spike, like a boss as they say, smoothed it over with a stuffing of bills into a pocket, got his shots, and got the hell out of there.

Well, the dallies looked good and ultimately the final film looked great. The test audience gasped and cried at the pivotal scene where Biggie’s Baller guns down Tupac’s Mercury and Kris Kelly’s shocked and teary-eyed Rolls in turn guns down Baller! Though anyone who knew their Shakespeare, or even their Sondheim, knew that it was coming, it was still shocking to see two of hip-hop’s greatest bleeding away on the street in the rain. Kris Kelly and Aaliyah had good chemistry together and while hip-hop is not exactly my thing, even I was moved with the emotional depth of the lyrics and accompanying cinematography.

It was a winner. I even showed it to Sondheim, who was doing Into the Woods and writing the music for Heart of Ice. Sondheim nodded, appreciating some of the musical and cinematographic nods to West Side Story. He asked me to arrange a meeting with Tupac and Biggie, which I did. Sondheim pushed for a Broadway release of a stage adaption, but Tupac insisted that this was “an LA story” and so they debuted the stage musical release of Crossed at the newly renovated Ahmanson Theatre in LA[3].

Talk about getting the approval of the big man himself! I joked to Tupac about getting a Ouija board to see what the Bard thought. “Bernie, man, get the fuck out of here!” he laughed.

Well, the big moment came. Could a hip-hop musical play on the big screen? We debuted on December 10th, 1998, against some stiff competition and debuted at #3, leading to some momentary panic. However, we were #1 in most urban centers, including LA, and were up to #2 across the nation by the next weekend. Soon word of mouth drove a steady uptick in attendance until it became a sleeper hit, particularly once the Academy chimed in with a few nominations. Spike’s $29.4 million film ended up netting a good $88 million by the time all was said and done. Nothing that reached the top ten, but a solid performer that went on to even greater appreciation in hindsight[4]. I hear that schools are playing it now when they talk Shakespeare. It’s certainly connecting to the youth a lot better than West Side Story at the moment, as loathe as I am to admit it.

Crossed is one of those films that I’ll look back on as a watershed in art, and in my career. While I was just the facilitator, I still felt glad that I had a critical hand in making it happen. I bet they’ll be talking about Crossed a century from now, wondering how such a pivotal film could go “unnoticed” in its day.

[1] Hat tip to @MNM041 for casting assistance.

[2] As Tupac told the New York Times in 1995: “And I love Shakespeare. He wrote some of the rawest stories, man. I mean look at Romeo and Juliet. That’s some serious ghetto [expletive]. You got this guy Romeo from the Bloods who falls for Juliet, a female from the Crips, and everybody in both gangs are against them. So they have to sneak out and they end up dead for nothing. Real tragic stuff.

“And look how Shakespeare busts it up with Macbeth. He creates a tale about this king’s wife who convinces a happy man to chase after her and kill her husband so he can take over the country. After he commits the murder, the dude starts having delusions just like in a Scarface song. I mean the king’s wife just screws this guy’s whole life up for nothing. Now that’s what I call a b----.”

[3] Sondheim always strove to push the limits on musical theater himself and appreciated it in others, becoming an early supporter and mentor for Jonathan Larson, who broke the mold in the 1990s with the at the time revolutionary rock & roll musical Rent.

[4] Its popularity will only grow through the years until it becomes a beloved Classic that’s seen as ahead of its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.