The Alternate Cabinets Thread

Cabinet Nominations of Henry Cabot Lodge
(in my One Term Wilson TL)
Secretary of State: Sen. Henry A. du Pont
Secretary of the Treasury: Corp. Vice Pres. George Walbridge Perkins (1917), Bank Pres. George M. Reynolds (1920)
Secretary of War: Sen. John W. Weeks
Attorney General: Sen. George A. Sutherland
Postmaster General: RNC Chair Charles D. Hilles
Secretary of the Navy: Fmr. Amb. Robert Bacon (1917), Rep. George Edmund Foss (1919)
Secretary of the Interior: Fmr. Gov. L. B. Hanna
Secretary of Agriculture: Uni. Pres. Raymond A. Pearson
Secretary of Commerce and Labor: Econ. Raymond Robins

Cabinet of 32th President of the United States of America John Nance Garner (1933-1937):
President: Speaker John Nance Garner (D-Texas) 1933-1937
Vice President: Vacant 1933-1937
Secretary of State: Senator William Gibbs McAdoo (D-California) 1933-1937
Secretary of Treasury: Banker Melvin A. Traylor (D-Illinois) 1933-1934, Manager Owen Young (D-New York) 1934-1937
Secretary of War: Former Assistant Secretary of War Henry S. Breckinridge (D-New York) 1933-1937
Attorney General: Representative Martin Dies Jr (D-Texas) 1933-1937
Postmaster General: Sam Rayburn (D-Texas) 1933-1937
Secretary of the Navy: Former Naval Officer Lewis Compton (D-New Jersey) 1933-1937
Secretary of the Interior: Governor George Dern (D-Utah) 1933-1936, Former Governor William H. Murray (D-Oklahoma) 1936-1937
Secretary of Agriculture: Representative Wright Patman (D-Texas) 1933-1937
Secretary of Commerce: Businessman Jesse H. Jones (D-Texas) 1933-1937
Secretary of Labor: Former Reconstruction Finance Corporation Advisor Thomas Gardiner Corcoran (D-Rhode Island) 1933-1937

Cabinet of 33th President of the United States of America Huey P. Long:
President: Senator Huey P. Long (Common Wealth- Louisiana) 1937-1938
Vice President: Representative William Lemke (CW-North Dakota) 1937-1938
Secretary of State: Senator William E. Borah (R-Idaho) 1937-1938
Secretary of Treasury: Former Governor Alfred E. “Al” Smith (D-New York) 1937-1938
Secretary of War: General Smedley D. Butler (CW-Pennsylvania) 1937-1938
Attorney General: Former Governor Oscar Kelly “O.K.” Allen (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Postmaster General: Former Lieutenant Governor John B. Fournet (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938
Secretary of the Navy: New Orleans Mayor Robert S. Maestri (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Secretary of the Interior: General Lytle Brown (Ind-Tennessee) 1937-1938
Secretary of Agriculture: Farmers’ activist Aaron L. Sapiro (CW-California) 1937-1938
Secretary of Commerce: Former Governor James A. Noe (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Secretary of Labor: Former Representative Edward Keating (D-Colorado) 1937-1938

The rest are great but Smith was the human embodiment of the corporate liberal Wall Street elite, he was a centrist capitalist through and through. Very different to Long's "share the wealth" policies.

Long planned for Smith to become the Director of the Budget and also planned to make it a Cabinet Position.

I had an idea of maybe having Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. as Secretary of the Treasury or Secretary of Commerce since he was a businessman but what do you guys think?

Cabinet of 33th President of the United States of America Huey P. Long:
President: Senator Huey P. Long (Common Wealth- Louisiana) 1937-1938
Vice President: Representative William Lemke (CW-North Dakota) 1937-1938
Secretary of State: Senator William E. Borah (R-Idaho) 1937-1938
Secretary of Treasury: Former Governor Alfred E. “Al” Smith (D-New York) 1937-1938
Secretary of War: General Smedley D. Butler (CW-Pennsylvania) 1937-1938
Attorney General: Former Governor Oscar Kelly “O.K.” Allen (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Postmaster General: Former Lieutenant Governor John B. Fournet (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938
Secretary of the Navy: New Orleans Mayor Robert S. Maestri (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Secretary of the Interior: General Lytle Brown (Ind-Tennessee) 1937-1938
Secretary of Agriculture: Farmers’ activist Aaron L. Sapiro (CW-California) 1937-1938
Secretary of Commerce: Former Governor James A. Noe (CW-Louisiana) 1937-1938, Vacant 1938
Secretary of Labor: Former Representative Edward Keating (D-Colorado) 1937-1938
Here was Long’s planned cabinet in My First Days in the White House written by him.

The rest are great but Smith was the human embodiment of the corporate liberal Wall Street elite, he was a centrist capitalist through and through. Very different to Long's "share the wealth" policies.
Yeah, I know, in 1932 he literally run on a “There is a crisis? So, what? Let the poors starving and get out of business so better people can have the chance to manage the economy! Now, can we return to the very main theme of this century, alcohol consumption?” platform. So, it’s perfectly possible Long was humorous on it (even his program included a balanced budget, after all). But Long winning by third party means he still has no majority in Congress and he can’t simply bribing and intimidating all Congressmen as he did down in Louisiana. The Kingfish wisely cultivated an image as maverick and populist but he was unusually tricky when he came to deal with his interests, so I can see he nominating Smith to appease the Congress and bankers worried about his economic policies. Public works are managed by other departments, so he can easily sideline him by executive orders and, if economy doesn’t take off, he can blame Smith for the failure. However, you have a point, in fact I’m reserving the right to refresh the list if I find some name more suitable for Treasury (any suggestions?).
Long planned for Smith to become the Director of the Budget and also planned to make it a Cabinet Position.

I had an idea of maybe having Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. as Secretary of the Treasury or Secretary of Commerce since he was a businessman but what do you guys think?
Yep, but his choice for Treasury, Senator James Couzens, died in 1936, so I guessed it would be easier switching Smith to Treasury and leave the Director of Budget’s position out of Cabinet, especially with an hostile Congress not open to make him favors. JPK Sr would surely get a seat from Long thanks his friendship with Father Coughlin and his open mind about offering bribes to get what he wants but still a man with a such shadowy reputation (liquor and movie business-mob-connected-Wall Street speculator) could find some resistance from Congress and businessmen.

Yeah, I know, in 1932 he literally run on a “There is a crisis? So, what? Let the poors starving and get out of business so better people can have the chance to manage the economy! Now, can we return to the very main theme of this century, alcohol consumption?” platform. So, it’s perfectly possible Long was humorous on it (even his program included a balanced budget, after all). But Long winning by third party means he still has no majority in Congress and he can’t simply bribing and intimidating all Congressmen as he did down in Louisiana. The Kingfish wisely cultivated an image as maverick and populist but he was unusually tricky when he came to deal with his interests, so I can see he nominating Smith to appease the Congress and bankers worried about his economic policies. Public works are managed by other departments, so he can easily sideline him by executive orders and, if economy doesn’t take off, he can blame Smith for the failure. However, you have a point, in fact I’m reserving the right to refresh the list if I find some name more suitable for Treasury (any suggestions?).

Yep, but his choice for Treasury, Senator James Couzens, died in 1936, so I guessed it would be easier switching Smith to Treasury and leave the Director of Budget’s position out of Cabinet, especially with an hostile Congress not open to make him favors. JPK Sr would surely get a seat from Long thanks his friendship with Father Coughlin and his open mind about offering bribes to get what he wants but still a man with a such shadowy reputation (liquor and movie business-mob-connected-Wall Street speculator) could find some resistance from Congress and businessmen.
Hmm, how about another Smith who was largely involved in the commerce sector and a strong proponent of Long's Share Our Wealth plan, Gerald L. K. Smith. Sure I doubt his nomination would go through but it's an interesting idea to ponder, yk. Also I'm not sure if JPK and Long were on the best of terms, not sure if this is just my AH knowledge kicking me in the butt with tricking my OTL mind. Maybe Kennedy could be better suited for Secretary of Commerce?

Hmm, how about another Smith who was largely involved in the commerce sector and a strong proponent of Long's Share Our Wealth plan, Gerald L. K. Smith. Sure I doubt his nomination would go through but it's an interesting idea to ponder, yk. Also I'm not sure if JPK and Long were on the best of terms, not sure if this is just my AH knowledge kicking me in the butt with tricking my OTL mind. Maybe Kennedy could be better suited for Secretary of Commerce?
GLK Smith has virtually no chance to get Congressional approval and Long didn’t owe any favors worth of a such struggle. Some other names I thought:
- Frances Townsend
Pro: he was close to Long and promoted the Townsend Plan, one of the first old-age social security proposal.
Con: he is 80, so a very old man. Plus, he was investigated by Congress back in 1936 and condemned for contempt of Congress, so I doubt he can get Congress green light.
- Sheridan Downey
Pro: he is a supporter of Townsend Plan and a progressive but enough sensible to good offers to change heart in a Long Administration (IOTL he run as Upton Sinclair’s running mate and then as liberal challenger to Senator McAdoo, only to become a conservative Senator close to oil and agribusiness interests). Bonus points if he is able to win California’s Lieutenant Governor race.
Con: he has no experience in dealing with international finance or banking.
- Will H. Kindig
Pro: he is a broker with some financial experience and he supports the Ham and Egg movement, a social security proposal very similar to the Townsend Plan. By the way, I can see Huey the Populist selling magnificently something called Ham and Egg Plan.
Con: he is only a city councilman. Maybe if he can win the California’s State Controller race would be better but still he would be a virtually unknown entity in Washington (but maybe this could be in his favor).

I hereby claim the first post of 2023 for myself. I know there's a few Bernie cabinets here already but I wanted to make one myself. Every name except the VP courtesy of the Progressive Cabinet Project by Data for Progress.

Sanders 2020 cabinet.
President:
Bernie Sanders
Vice President: Val Demings
Secretary of State: Russ Feingold
Secretary of Defense: Barbara Lee
Attorney General: Maura Healey
Secretary of Treasury :Robert Reich
Secretary of Interior:Deb Haaland
Secretary of Agriculture: John Boyd
Secretary of Commerce: Tom Steyer
Secretary of Labor: Julie Su
Secretary of HHS: Abdul El-Sayed
Secretary of HUD: Marcia Fudge
Secretary of Transportation: Phil Washington
Secretary of Energy: Jay Inslee
Secretary of Education: Randi Weingarten
Secretary of Veteran Affairs: Tammy Duckworth
Secretary of Homeland Security: Julian Castro
EPA Administrator: Mary Nicols
UN Ambassador: Tom Perriello
Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers:Sandy Darity
Trade Representative: Katherine Tai
SBA Administrator:Chokwe Antar Lumumba
Office and Budget: Pramila Jayapal
CIA Director: Martin Heinrich
Director of National Intelligence: Ron Wyden
National Security Advisor: Robert Malley
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Katie Porter
National Economic Council: Dean Baker
Domestic Policy Council: Heather McGhee
OIRA Administrator: Rajesh Nayak

SBA Administrator:Chokwe Antar Lumumba
Better suited for HUD Secretary IMVHO, though that wouldn't open up a House seat in Ohio for Nina Turner to run for (she'd be a good pick for White House Chief of Staff).
Office and Budget: Pramila Jayapal
I think he wouldn't pick Jayapal for the cabinet, and definitely not such a low level position like OMB Administrator, as she would most likely be aiming her sights on the Speakership come 2023.
CIA Director: Martin Heinrich
Director of National Intelligence: Ron Wyden
Would Bernie really pick two Senators if the Democrats are only just barely holding onto a 50 seat majority?
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Katie Porter
I feel like she'd stay in Congress until running for Senate in 2024.
Secretary of Veteran Affairs: Tammy Duckworth
Again I don't think Sanders would risk a Senate seat like that by nominating Duckworth to the cabinet. Would probably set her up for Secretary of Defense later on in a future Democratic administration.
Vice President: Val Demings
I personally think Bernie would go with Elizabeth Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, Nina Turner, or Rashida Tlaib as his running mate over Val Demings.

Better suited for HUD Secretary IMVHO, though that wouldn't open up a House seat in Ohio for Nina Turner to run for (she'd be a good pick for White House Chief of Staff).
Yeah getting Nina a opportunity to get into the house was a major factor in choosing Fudge.

I think he wouldn't pick Jayapal for the cabinet, and definitely not such a low level position like OMB Administrator, as she would most likely be aiming her sights on the Speakership come 2023.
I can't speak to the relationship between the two but she was the one who stood out the most in the section about this post. Plus considering it's taken her this long just to be appointed leader of the Progressive Caucus, I don't think she had a realistic shot at speaker.
Would Bernie really pick two Senators if the Democrats are only just barely holding onto a 50 seat majority?
The section regarding these two positions only had three candidates and the third one didn't impress me as much.
I feel like she'd stay in Congress until running for Senate in 2024.
Remember in this scenario she's being offered the job in 2020. If anything she could view as a resume padder for when she runs for Senate. If she had even considered running by this point.
Again i don't think Sanders would risk a Senate seat like that by nominating Duckworth to the cabinet. Would probably set her up for Secretary of Defense later on in a future Democratic administration.
Illinois is a pretty Blue state, I think it'd be worth the risk. Plus she's been considered for the job for about a decade at this point.
I personally think Bernie would go with Elizabeth Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, Nina Turner, or Rashida Tlaib as his running mate over Val Demings.
Demings is there as the sole concession to the moderate/conservative wing of the party. Plus she could help with African Americans, a voter block Bernie notoriously struggles with.

Last edited:
Trump 2000 Cabinet:

President:
Businessman Donald J. Trump of New York (Reform)
Vice President: Media Proprietor Oprah G. Winfrey of Illinois (Reform)
Secretary of State: Former General Colin L. Powell of Virginia (Republican)
Secretary of the Treasury: Businessman John F. Welch, Jr. of New York (Independent)
Secretary of Defense: Senator John S. McCain III of Arizona (Republican)
Attorney General: Mayor of New York City Rudolph W. L. Giuliani of New York (Republican)
Secretary of the Interior: Former Senator William W. Bradley of New Jersey (Democratic)
Secretary of Agriculture: Representative Charles W. Stenholm of Texas (Democratic)
Secretary of Commerce: Representative Robert J. Portman of Ohio (Republican)
Secretary of Labor: Labor Leader James P. Hoffa of Michigan (Independent)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Governor Howard B. Dean III of Vermont (Democratic)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York (Democratic)
Secretary of Transportation: Former State Representative Ray Metcalfe of Alaska (Republican)
Secretary of Energy: Physicist John S. Hagelin of Iowa (Reform)
Secretary of Education: Reverend Alfred C. Sharpton, Jr. of New York (Democratic)
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Senator Joseph M. Cleland of Georgia (Democratic)
Secretary of Homeland Security: Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut (Democratic)

Any Suggestions, Comments, or Changes I Should Make?

Last edited:
Trump 2000 Cabinet: WIP

President: Businessman Donald J. Trump of New York (Reform)
Vice President: Media Proprietor Oprah G. Winfrey of Illinois (Reform)
Secretary of State: Former General Colin L. Powell of Virginia (Republican)
Secretary of the Treasury: Businessman John F. Welch, Jr. of New York (Independent)
Secretary of Defense: Senator John S. McCain III of Arizona (Republican)
Attorney General: Governor George E. Pataki of New York (Republican)
Secretary of the Interior: Former Senator William W. Bradley of New Jersey (Democratic)
Secretary of Agriculture: ???
Secretary of Commerce: Governor John E. Bush of Florida (Republican)
Secretary of Labor: Labor Leader James P. Hoffa of Michigan (Independent)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: ???
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York (Democratic)
Secretary of Transportation: ???
Secretary of Energy: ???
Secretary of Education: ???
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: ???
Secretary of Homeland Security: Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut (Democratic)

Any Suggestions, Comments, or Changes I Should Make?
May I suggest Rudy Giuliani for Attorney General instead of Pataki (or DHS could work but I don't think Pataki would accept an appointment from Trump), Rob Portman for Secretary of Commerce instead of Jeb (no way he'd accept a job from the guy who beat his brother), Howard Dean or Jim Ramstad for Secretary of Health and Human Services, Al Sharpton for Secretary of Education, John Hagelin for Secretary of Energy, and Max Cleland for Secretary of Veterans Affairs.