The Death of Russia - TL

Imagined that actually canon and they recorded then uploaded on the internet
There'll be people begging the government to let the vigilantes go and rightfully defending them.
No Ai-Qaeda and the White nationalist are mortal enemies and would not ever work together even though they did have Common enemy
I did hear about white nationalists praising al-Qaeda and even ISIS in the past so this isn't too far out there.

There'll be people begging the government to let the vigilantes go and rightfully defending them.
I even think they're going to release them
I did hear about white nationalists praising al-Qaeda and even ISIS in the past so this isn't too far out there.
Yeah but not all nationalist going to work with Al-Qaeda especially since of "Superior race" than them and Plus more likely they will blame every Muslim for Al-Qaeda then working with them.

Pierce:
Hey unfair! I wanted this to happen in America!
Yep the man is basically insane enough to commit Nuclear Holocaust against the world to "Pacify the White race" by destroying it.

Barkashov was the bastard who committed it but Pierce was the scum who architected it

I feel like even if they don't immediately find out, Pierce will state how the Nashists should have succeeded. That should be enough to draw unwanted attention, with people connecting Pierce's book to the events in Russia, queue Pierce becoming the most hated man in America, and Pierce being forced to wear a bulletproof vest and hide a pistol on his person in public.

I feel like even if they don't immediately find out. I feel like Pierce will state how the Nashists should have succeeded. That should be enough to draw unwanted attention, with people connecting Pierce's book to the events in Russia, queue Pierce becoming the most hated man in America, and Pierce being forced to wear a bulletproof vest and hide a pistol on his person in public.
Dude's going to be how the Nazi feel after 1945 and live for the rest of his life hiding

What would've happened if the Castro's weren't removed from power and managed to send troops to the communists? I wouldn't be surprised if they were among the nuclear casualties.

What would've happened if the Castro's weren't removed from power and managed to send troops to the communists? I wouldn't be surprised if they were among the nuclear casualties.
Castró either going to be moving power earlier or be moved to North Korea levels of isolation around the world

So an observation on pop culture. Looking at the mentions of EVA and Berserk, and the mentions that the "Grimdark age of fiction" stops in the 2010s I wonder how grimdark the collapse of Russia makes the Japanese anime and gaming industry

For anime, I can see these things happen:
  • Tomino never gets over his depression, most likely he kills himself, Gundam remains excessively Grimdark of Universal Century, even if alternate timelines are adapted. We'd be lucky to get even an ending like IBO(which ended in all the protagionists dying but a case can be made that the setting can move in a positive direction)
  • More Super Robot genre might deal with excessively dark themes "grimdark" is no longer isolated to "Tomino", "Eva", or "Real Robots"
  • LOGH might end with Reinhard going full "power corrupts" and becoming another Tyrant, history is ultimately a tragic cycle
  • Rebuild of EVA might still happen but it will be much later
  • Uroborchi's anime would still be leaning on the grimdark.
For Japanese video games I can see these themes manifest
  • Mario might remain optimistic because there is no way to grimdarkify Mario....however, Metroid might go full Grimdark and Zelda might have more bittersweet and openly dark narratives
  • Pokemon might legitimately delve into themes like death outside the ghost Marowak and the Onyx grave, like have villains or Pokemon die on screen, anime might legitimately go with the "Was it all a dream?" and "Pokemon leave humans forever" ending
  • Chrono Trigger might end with the “best” ending being bittersweet at most, no way to bring back Chrono(so he goes full OTL!Aerith, Alys, Lavitz and Galuf…TTL!Aerith has a far darker fate if you’d read just a few spaces ahead)…and there will be endings where even if Lavos is stopped, there is a chance humanity might still destroy themselves by their own hands and the “future refuses to change”
  • Final Fantasy V ending with the party completely perishing against Neo-Exdeath and Final Fantasy VI ending in the world being irrepairable even through Kefka is defeated, with all the protagionists never recovering from their trauma.
  • Final Fantasy VII...whoo boy, fun fact: the devs did not originally intend for only Aerith dying, I can see even worse tragedies here. I can legitimately see Cloud losing both woman he may have loved here and the infamous idea to "nuke the party members that you don't have on the final raid on Shinra" plan coming to fruition, leaving a extremely weakened AVALANCHE to fight Hojo and later Sephiroth. Even worse, the game would end with Aerith's spirit, driven mad by the evils of humanity, fucking turn the Lifestream+Holy on humanity and Meteor, leading to the extinction of Humanity and Red as the only survivor(which was the interpretation Kitase unironically tried to go with)
    • ....which will lead to a lot of shock and backlash. Compilation never happens because "everyone dies" and Remake if it happens will end Part 3 with a "every good character and every side character that died in OG lives..... only Aerith and the villains still die"(her death is a bit too significant to fully remove imho and I think this is where remake is going OTL), and Part 3 would end with Aerith's spirit, aware of how the other timeline ended but moved by her friends heroism and a new generation decisively choosing the right path, choosing to spare humanity and the final scene heavily implying humanity lived in peace with the Planet
    • I could see Crisis Core still happen, but Zack will be much more morally greyer rather than "badass soldier, perfect bro for Cloud and perfect boyfriend for Aerith" that we got with OTL CC, which was alluded to in the OG game OTL but was changed with a glorifying narrative for CC. Given how much trauma FFVII will cause, there would be no "LTD/shipper discourse" for this game at all and no one would use CC for LTD/shipper discourse
  • Xenogears, which is already very dark might very well be Final Fantasy VIII....and the vague hint that fate is defied and that the future could be different being stomped into the ground with a genuinely downer ending
    • Overall, after FFVII, FF series will be almost completely different
    • If FFXIV still happens the same way as OTL, it would be when media becomes optimistic again. Given that media stops being grimdark the Garleans will not implode into Civil War--the image of a Fascist state imploding might have a lot of trauma or hit too close to home. Rather the Garleans will have to be destroyed by external invasion and the plot of Endwalker will be a "Heroic WW2 liberation of Europe esque final fight against the Garleans", with Zodiark being the final boss, but Zenos escapes and he and the Endsinger will be patch content rather than release content. This might make Golbez into an expansion villain and 7.0 set in the Void.
  • Skies of Arcadia will still be made and will still be leaning towards optimistic--it was noted for being noblebright at a time where most RPGs were nobledark or bittersweet, if not outright grimdark....however it will be much more nobledark and have a bit more deaths(I would not be surprised if they have Fina go full OTL!Aerith here) and it would be much less popular due to its' optimism, so a even bigger defination of cult classic(which it already was)
  • Likely Kingdom hearts is never released
  • Likewise....a lot of optimistic JRPGs will not be made or end up being stillborn franchises due to the relentless misery. I can see Tales series being a Stillborn Franchise and Trails series never appearing or appearing much later
  • Mother 3, which was dark already and had a ambigious ending(akin to OTL FFVII), might go full "unambigiously everyone dies" like ttl pre-remake FFVII
  • MSG might take a even darker direction, and Volgin made even more evil than in canon, we might also have more Russian villains as well other than in the Cold War era with Volgin and his henchmen

Last edited:
So an observation on pop culture. Looking at the mentions of EVA and Berserk, and the mentions that the "Grimdark age of fiction" stops in the 2010s I wonder how grimdark the collapse of Russia makes the Japanese anime and gaming industry

For anime, I can see these things happen:
  • Tomino never gets over his depression, most likely he kills himself, Gundam remains excessively Grimdark of Universal Century, even if alternate timelines are adapted.
  • More Super Robot genre might deal with excessively dark themes "grimdark" is no longer isolated to "Tomino", "Eva", or "Real Robots"
  • LOGH might end with Reinhard going full "power corrupts" and becoming another Tyrant, history is ultimately a tragic cycle
  • Rebuild of EVA might still happen but it will be much later
For Japanese video games I can see these themes manifest
  • Mario might remain optimistic because there is no way to grimdarkify Mario....however, Metroid might go full Grimdark and Zelda might have more bittersweet and openly dark narratives
  • Pokemon might legitimately delve into themes like death outside the ghost Marowak and the Onyx grave, like have villains or Pokemon die on screen, anime might legitimately go with the "Was it all a dream?" and "Pokemon leave humans forever" ending
  • Final Fantasy V ending with the party completely perishing against Neo-Exdeath and Final Fantasy VI ending in the world being irrepairable even through Kefka is defeated, with all the protagionists never recovering from their trauma.
  • Final Fantasy VII...whoo boy, fun fact: the devs did not originally intend for only Aerith dying, I can see even worse tragedies here. I can legitimately see Cloud losing both woman he may have loved here and the infamous idea to "nuke the party members that you don't have on the final raid on Shinra" plan coming to fruition, leaving a extremely weakened AVALANCHE to fight Hojo and later Sephiroth. Even worse, the game would end with Aerith's spirit, driven mad by the evils of humanity, fucking turn the Lifestream+Holy on humanity and Meteor, leading to the extinction of Humanity and Red as the only survivor(which was the interpretation Kitase unironically tried to go with)
    • ....which will lead to a lot of shock and backlash. Compilation never happens and Remake if it happens will end Part 3 with a "every good character and every side character that died in OG lives..... only Aerith and the villains still die"(her death is a bit too significant to fully remove imho and I think this is where remake is going OTL), and Part 3 would end with Aerith's spirit, aware of how the other timeline ended but moved by her friends heroism and a new generation decisively choosing the right path, choosing to spare humanity and the final scene heavily implying humanity lived in peace with the Planet
  • Xenogears, which is already very dark might very well be Final Fantasy VIII....and the vague hint that fate is defied and that the future could be different being stomped into the ground with a genuinely downer ending
    • Overall, after FFVII, FF series will be almost completely different
    • If FFXIV still happens the same way as OTL, it would be when media becomes optimistic again. Given that media stops being grimdark the Garleans will not implode into Civil War--the image of a Fascist state imploding might have a lot of trauma or hit too close to home. Rather the Garleans will have to be destroyed by external invasion and the plot of Endwalker will be a "Heroic WW2 liberation of Europe esque final fight against the Garleans", with Zodiark being the final boss, but Zenos escapes and he and the Endsinger will be patch content rather than release content. This might make Golbez into an expansion villain and 7.0 set in the Void.
  • Likely Kingdom hearts is never released
  • Likewise....a lot of optimistic JRPGs will not be made or end up being stillborn franchises due to the relentless misery. I can see Tales series being a Stillborn Franchise and Trails series never appearing or appearing much later
  • Mother 3, which was dark already and had a ambigious ending(akin to OG FFVII), might go full "unambigiously everyone dies"
  • MSG might take a even darker direction, and Volgin made even more evil than in canon, we might also have more Russian villains as well other than in the Cold War era with Volgin and his henchmen
Great job awesome post 👍

I feel like even if they don't immediately find out, Pierce will state how the Nashists should have succeeded. That should be enough to draw unwanted attention, with people connecting Pierce's book to the events in Russia, queue Pierce becoming the most hated man in America, and Pierce being forced to wear a bulletproof vest and hide a pistol on his person in public.
Rather than saying they should have succeeded I think he'd say that the reason they failed was because they werent "true aryans" like the "saxonic stock" and so they perished alongside all the "inferior races"(nevermind his own obsession with slavic women) rather than rising from the ashes like his idealised american "master race"

Wonder how A Song of Ice and Fire and the Game of Thrones adaptation do in this TL speaking of grimdark.
I could see some of the bloodshed of Westeroes be based on the worst elements of the Time of Troubles, or the violence of the 2RCW transplanted to a medieval setting. Perhaps have Euron be inspired by Barkashov's atrocities.

For other grimdark works, I can see Imperium drawing more on Orthodox Russian symbols for 40K

Rather than saying they should have succeeded I think he'd say that the reason they failed was because they werent "true aryans" like the "saxonic stock" and so they perished alongside all the "inferior races"(nevermind his own obsession with slavic women) rather than rising from the ashes like his idealised american "master race"
I think he would just double down on his claim that he wasn't a success at all and Barkashov was a damn Russian but "Did follow the Turner Diary very well"

But regardless do is going to either hide or got mobbed

I could see some of the bloodshed of Westeroes be based on the worst elements of the Time of Troubles, or the violence of the 2RCW transplanted to a medieval setting. Perhaps have Euron be inspired by Barkashov's atrocities.

For other grimdark works, I can see Imperium drawing more on Orthodox Russian symbols for 40K
Which Imperium? Also know that you say it ASOIAF gives away huge Time of Troubles vibes.

Anyways I think Mitridates(who'll have a field day here when he logs on again only to see we talking about Pierce) is right that most people will think the idea that the Nashists who got this close to unleashing a nuclear apocalypse from Russia were somehow inspired by this one obscure far right american author is ridiculous and wont buy it at all
Not that that will stop Pierce from getting lynched but ya know

Maybe have the Lannisters be more explicitly Andal-supremacist in their rhetoric and actions, viewing the Northmen as "barbarians" who need to be "civilized" and all that?