The Death of Russia - TL

I should have clarified it in the post better - the Edmonton, Borden and Kingston strikes were primarily on the CFBs attached to the cities, so Edmonton's is actually decently north of the city, ensuring that a good chunk of the southern part of the city survives. Halifax, unfortunately, was centered on the port so their casualty rates were bad.

Last edited:
I should have clarified it in the post better - the Edmonton, Borden and Kingston strikes were primarily on the CFBs attached to the cities, so Edmonton's is actually decently north of the city, ensuring that a good chunk of the city survives. Halifax, unfortunately, was centered on the port so their casualty rates were bad.
So, for Edmonton, the damage to civillian infrastructure was largely to the suburbs and not the "main" city?

So, for Edmonton, the damage to civillian infrastructure was largely to the suburbs and not the "main" city?
Yes, so more a five-figure death toll rather than six.

For my part, I am a little surprised that Cheyenne Mountain got nuked, like it almost seems like a failure on NORAD's part to save their own HQ
It's going to be part of the mythos of the day - the brave NORAD commanders who worked to save the cities full of civilians even as they knew missiles were coming for them.

Last edited:
Ten trillion rubles says they'll be getting Karelia and the Kola Peninsula.

It is not going to be easy task. Most difficult part is not take them but integration to Finland. There is still massive Russian population and economically Karelia and Kola are really badly behind of Finnish economy. It was case already before the war and it would be slightly worse despite that Vyborg and Murmansk were only cities nuked on region which was planned to be part of Greater Finland during WW2.

I should have clarified it in the post better - the Edmonton, Borden and Kingston strikes were primarily on the CFBs attached to the cities, so Edmonton's is actually decently north of the city, ensuring that a good chunk of the southern part of the city survives. Halifax, unfortunately, was centered on the port so their casualty rates were bad.
Fair enough, but that still cripples the city and its economy, and with it the province's. Fewer people die, yes, but it still makes most of my prior points accurate.

It's going to be part of the mythos of the day - the brave NORAD commanders who worked to save the cities full of civilians even as they knew missiles were coming for them.
well - at least they survived though
It is not going to be easy task. Most difficult part is not take them but integration to Finland. There is still massive Russian population and economically Karelia and Kola are really badly behind of Finnish economy. It was case already before the war and it would be slightly worse despite that Vyborg and Murmansk were only cities nuked on region which was planned to be part of Greater Finland during WW2.
I believe that UNTAR will eventually give way to a confederation of sorts between the surviving oblasts that are - for all intentions and purposes - all as independent as the states within the Holy Roman Empire had been.

Perhaps - UNTAR can even transform into UNPAR due to the world's sheer inability to fill up the region with something else.

That was totally epic
Russia officially died screaming and unleashing its last kicks in it's death throes. Can't blame Vlad for signing off .... If my country died I likely join it
Asia, South America, Africa got off very lightly or never hit at all.
Man it must had be madness being part of those Patriot crews while they did all they could to save America and mostly won.
Rip NORAD you did all you could and America still standing.
Man if NYC was hit... That would had sucked big hit
I would had been a toddler during this but I sure the rest of the 90s would have really suck financially for my family in the aftermath as the global economy just went down.
Also I guess bomb shelter are going to be a mandatory on cities and other locations in the future.
Thank the gods some folks in the west actually thought of sending the kids away from the cities.
Now we see how fucked up the environment going to be as cities and other places burn for several days.
I really hope the world won't be seeing a long winter

Map - April 10th 1996
dfkrlhk-814cc022-0832-4d88-97c8-843f31b2d2f0.png

Pending approval by @Sorairo in case changes are needed. Until then, I'll consider Komi and the Uralic states as wiped out.
This is perhaps the first map I regret ever making.

Last edited:

Pending approval for @Sorairo in case changed need to be made. Until then, I'll consider Komi and the Uralic states as wiped out.
So ends Russia, in a blaze of fire and fury. How Peter the Great would have wept had he seen this.

Last edited:
So ends Russia, in a blaze of fire and fury. How Peter the Great would have wept had he seen this.

Peter would have wept at a lot of russia's history OTL, countries been through a lot.

But yeah pretty much this is the end of russia as a unified country.

Pending approval for @Sorairo in case changed need to be made. Until then, I'll consider Komi and the Uralic states as wiped out.

Given that thousands of nukes fell in Russia, a full list would almost be impossible, but certainly anywhere that had an OTL population over half a million has been hit, and a good chunk of towns below that.

An few odd thoughts on the where the nukes landed on the US.
1) *ZERO* nukes landed in a state that had abolished slavery at the beginning of the US Civil War. They were either in Slave States that stayed in the Union (Camp David, Maryland and Fort Knox), Slave States that Seceded (most of the list) or weren't yet states (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming) or weren't even part of the US (Anchorage Alaska)
2) *The only US city that has a pro sports team (NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL) to get nuked was Denver (Rocky Flats) which to some degree shows how little the Soviets were updating things, Rocky Flats shut down in 1992. Next largest city to get a really close hit is El Paso (Fort Bliss and to some degree White Sands) . Note, for post war politics (1996 presidential election), the Mexicans might be heavily involved in the post April 10 recovery in El Paso.
3)Oddly enough from the standpoint of 2022, I *think* more of the sites that received Nukes are in states that voted for Clinton in 1992, with Clinton having taken Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Colorado and New Mexico.
4) For a *Significant* percentage of the american population (New York, New England, the Upper midwest, and the Pacific Northwest) the closest nuke to land landed on Canada! (this is sort of similar to #1)
5) The nuke that would probably cause the least deaths (<10,000) are NORAD, White Sands and Camp David.
6) States that would lose the largest percentage of their population are Alaska and Colorado, not sure what would be in third place, either Texas (Fort Bliss & Fort Bragg) or Georgia (Fort Benning and Fort Stewart)

And one final thought not related to the US, how did the Romanians manage to tick of *anyone* in this conflict that Constanța got a nuke?

Given that thousands of nukes fell in Russia, a full list would almost be impossible, but certainly anywhere that had an OTL population over half a million has been hit, and a good chunk of towns below that.
OK, I’ll try to work with that. About Komi and the Uralic states, do I leave them as wiped out or do I reinstate them.

it would be a state-level, multi-decade endeavour to catalogue all of that