Casualties of The Fight (World War, The Race's Invasion Of Earth)

This is something that has always been on my mind since I finished the series; what were the casualties of the Race's invasion of Earth? They certainly had to be in the millions on both sides, but how high were they?

Any thoughts? c:

the Race COULDN'T have had "millions" of casualties, they didn't bring "millions" with them in the first place.

They thought they were going to be overrunning a planet of barely-clothed savages, not an industrialized society with firearms, tanks and planes. as a result, they didn't bring a huge amount of troops and equipment.

I would imagine that the US would have much higher casualties similar to Soviet casualties in OTL especially with losses sustained in the very beginning on the invasion when the US sent in untrained militia volunteers.

The Race had to have brought millions of soldiers with them; sure, they were 100% expecting a walkover but you still need garrisons to hold down the populace.

It is also said that, when it came to equipment, they sent much more than they would have needed. It is fair to say that they likely did the same with manpower

the Race COULDN'T have had "millions" of casualties, they didn't bring "millions" with them in the first place.

They thought they were going to be overrunning a planet of barely-clothed savages, not an industrialized society with firearms, tanks and planes. as a result, they didn't bring a huge amount of troops and equipment.
No, their casualties were at least a million or so troops, especially when factoring in the atomic bombs that wiped out whole advancing armies, like Moscow, Denver, and a few others. Lord already knows that millions upon millions of humans are dead, especially with how many cities got wiped out.

No, their casualties were at least a million or so troops, especially when factoring in the atomic bombs that wiped out whole advancing armies, like Moscow, Denver, and a few others. Lord already knows that millions upon millions of humans are dead, especially with how many cities got wiped out.
https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Atomic_bomb#List_of_explosive-metal_weapons_used Moscow was never nuked.

Considering that Tokyo was nuked in 1943 and the city had 7,3 million in 1940 according to wikipedia that alone almost give us a civilian number of 10 million deaths.

In the end of the war the Race was taking troops from fully occupied places so that they could use them against Germany, Soviet or USA. The race also lost 12 starships filled with colonists and there might have been 100 000 lizards on each since they were going to colonize.

Since they came to colonize and wanted the troops to build cities as well as troops they must have broguht at least 10 million male lizards that was not only soldiers but also engineers.

https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Atomic_bomb#List_of_explosive-metal_weapons_used Moscow was never nuked.

Considering that Tokyo was nuked in 1943 and the city had 7,3 million in 1940 according to wikipedia that alone almost give us a civilian number of 10 million deaths.

In the end of the war the Race was taking troops from fully occupied places so that they could use them against Germany, Soviet or USA. The race also lost 12 starships filled with colonists and there might have been 100 000 lizards on each since they were going to colonize.

Since they came to colonize and wanted the troops to build cities as well as troops they must have broguht at least 10 million male lizards that was not only soldiers but also engineers.
The attack on the colonization fleet apparently killed a few million lizards from what's been said. I've got the whole series on audible, and based on the number of ships and colonists brought over, a few million dead tracks pretty well. There's also Sydney and Melbourne that got nuked, followed by the ethnic cleansing of Australia of its human population. Millions died on both sides of the war, without question.

The plant life and wildlife the colonists brought with them was starting to have negative effects on the parts of Earth they occupied

Here are the cities that were nuked in the fighting from 1942 to 1944.

Berlin - 1942, The Race; the population of Berlin in 1939 was 4,338,756.
Washington D.C. - 1942, The Race; the population of D.C. in 1940 was 663,091.
Near Kaluga - 1943, USSR; used on troop concentration of unknown size. Casualties and losses of material were said to be heavy. They were SO heavy that operations were halted on the corresponding front.
Tokyo - 1943, The Race; the population of Tokyo in 1940 was 6,778,804.
Oels - 1943, Germany; used on troop concentrations of unknown size. Casualties and losses of material were said to be heavy. They were SO heavy that operations were halted on the corresponding front.
Munich - 1943, The Race; the population of Munich in 1940 was 834,500.
Chicago - 1943, USA; used on major troop concentrations of unknown size. Casualties and losses of material were said to be heavy. They were SO heavy that operations were halted on the corresponding front.
Seattle - 1943, The Race; the population of Seattle in 1940 was roughly 368,302.
Miami - 1943, USA; the population of Miami in 1940 was roughly 172,172.
Pearl Harbor - 1943, The Race; I am unable to find any good stats for the population of Pearl Harbor in the 40s, but the population of the territory of Hawaii in 1940 was about 423,330.
Rome - 1943, Germany; the earliest population figure I can find for Rome is from 1950, which is about 1,884,000.
Hamburg - 1943, The Race; the population of Hamburg in 1940 was 1,711,877.
Outside Denver - 1944, USA; used against major troop concentrations of unknown size. Casualties and losses of material were said to be heavy. They were SO heavy that operations were halted on the corresponding front.
Somewhere Between Orlando and Apopka, Florida - 1944, The Race; used against major troop concentrations of unknown size. Following the strike, The Race was able to push out of Florida with relative ease.
Sydney - 1944, The Race; the earliest population I can find id for Sydney in 1954, which was about 1,863,217.
Melbourne - 1944, The Race; the population of Melbourne in 1940 was roughly 1.1 million.
Alexandria - 1944, Germany; the earliest population figure I can find for Alexandria was for 1950, which was roughly 1,037,000.
Copenhagen - 1944, The Race; the population of Copenhagen in 1940 was 731,707.
Saratov - 1944, USSR; used on major troop concentrations of unknown size. Casualties and losses of material were said to be heavy. They were SO heavy that operations were halted on the corresponding front.
Magnitogorsk - 1944, The Race; the population of Magnitogorsk in 1940 was around 203,688.

As you can see, the civilian toll from Atomic Bombs ALONE has to be in the millions if you include the fallout after the strike. The largest city hit was Berlin by a longshot, which would have resulted in many casualties instantly.

I was more wondering about the possible military casualties inflicted during the fighting, and as I said in my first post, it has to be in the millions on both sides.. but more so on the side of humanity. The technological disparity is a major factor in the high death toll, along with the fact that the major nations were reaching into the bottom of the barrel for manpower, which can be seen when Mutt Daniels is allowed to volunteer despite the fact he was almost sixty by 1942. They needed all hands on deck. I haven't even thought about those who would have died from hunger and/or cold during the fighting. It is possible the overall toll may surpass the Second World War of the OTL, and that is quite the feat.

BY the end, both sides were exhausted; humanity was starting to feel the strain of long wars on their home soil while the Race was suffering disastrous supply problems and was starting to tear away at the garrisons for men to keep the many fronts going.

Last edited: