To the Victor, Go the Spoils (Redux): A Plausible Central Powers Victory

Excellent update, as always. 1920 will be fascinating politically. On the GOP side, perhaps a run by Lodge or Coolidge or for the Progrssive wing maybe Hi Johnson. Harding would not be anybody;s first choice, and the outcome of the war eliminates Pershing as well. If there is a financial crisis or severe labor unrest it seems like the more conservative candidate will have an edge. "Return to normalcy" was OTL a very popular meme.

Wilson trying for a third term despite leading the USA into its first outright military defeat is certainly a bold strategy, but as the update said it's in character for him

He had a stroke in 1919 in otl
My favorite theory is that the stroke was from post-viral syndrome after the flu ("Long Flu"), coupled with the stress from Versailles and trying to argue the US into the League of Nations. But the post-viral link can't be proven, and he's definitely under a lot of stress ITTL too.

Wilson not having a stroke means he's just going to haunt the Democratic Party until he dies, which could conceivably be not until his 80s.

Wilson not having a stroke means he's just going to haunt the Democratic Party until he dies, which could conceivably be not until his 80s.
As per tradition, the life force of old timey Dems is powered by racism, and the more virulent it is the longer they live. Fortunately Wilson isn't politically based in a state south of Maryland or he'd be threatening to live until he's 100.

Last edited:
As per tradition, the life force of old timey Dems is powered by racism, and the more virulent it is the longer they live. Fortunately Wilson isn't politically based in a state south of Maryland or he'd be threatening to live until he's 100.
Would explain Stennis and Eastland et al, lol

Would explain Stennis and Eastland et al, lol
1671051854172.jpeg

Basils

Banned
Tbf I think having the French and English become extremist after an alternate economic crash makes a lot of sense rather than them just immediately falling to communist revolution.
Or even just a nation swinging one direction radically due to threats by the other side

Or even just a nation swinging one direction radically due to threats by the other side
Nah I feel having an alt 1930s crash caused by Germany, the US or UK destabilising the global financial markets prob will cause France and Russia to go insane and cause WWII.

PS if a-h collapses do you see Germany annexing Austria and Czechia.

Austria and the Sudetenland? Maybe. Annexing the rest of Czechia? Probably isn't going to happen.
Probably yeah.

It's more that I don't see the Austrians wanting to go their own way when Germany won WWI and is the strongest country in Europe ittl, and I'd think Austria would retain a bit of the Med coast they had too.

Nah I feel having an alt 1930s crash caused by Germany, the US or UK destabilising the global financial markets prob will cause France and Russia to go insane and cause WWII.

PS if a-h collapses do you see Germany annexing Austria and Czechia.
Ironically Germany is somewhatg protected from the impact of a global economic crash as their economy was so severed during the war they have no real financial links to any of the powers that could trigger a crash.

Of course that also carries the added downside that the economy will also get no outside investment and thus take longer to recover, but hey - there's a cloud for every silver lining.

Austria and the Sudetenland? Maybe. Annexing the rest of Czechia? Probably isn't going to happen.
I disagree. Annexing the Czech lands, or at the very least setting up some kind of autonomous federal unit separate from German Bohemia, within the empire, would be extremely likely. It was part of the Holy Roman Empire, the German confederation, and “Austria proper,” so letting it go would likely anger the Austrians. Not annexing it also makes the eastern border considerably longer than it needs to be, though admittedly less of an issue being surrounded by puppets. You also have to consider that the Czechs may see the old kingdom of Bohemia as theirs, in entirety, and present a risk to the Bohemian Germans in a future conflict. And despite the nationalist rhetoric of the German unification, it didn’t stop them from taking on a bunch of poles, nor did it stop them from annexing a bunch of Frenchmen in the Franco-Prussian war. The Czechs are nowhere near populous enough to be anything more than a sizable ethnic minority, which may even benefit certain parties in the German government considering many may prefer Czech ethnic parties instead of rival German political parties. And despite the non German nature of the territory, if the German empire annexed German Austria, but left the Czechs out of it, I’d argue many Germans would be pissed. As part of the Holy Roman Empire and the German confederation, the Germans would’ve considered those territories German by right, even if not by nationality, and it would be a national embarrassment to willingly refuse the political unification of the old Holy Roman Empire, when given the opportunity, as that was the entire point of German nationalism in the first place. I’d almost argue it’s more likely for the German empire to willingly refuse to annex the Germans in western Hungary, although that too is unlikely. Furthermore, from the Kaiser’s perspective, annexing the entirety of the old HRE would completely cement the Prussian/Berlin-based dominance of ALL of Germany, and make whichever Kaiser who accomplished it the hero that German children hear about when they’re put to sleep. After beating the shit out of France, twice, carving western Russia into pieces, dominating the old ottoman balkans, and finally reuniting the entire German Reich, at the expense of the Austrian’s non German empire, it would be immensely symbolic as the moment Prussia/Germany has beaten every single one of its traditional foes, and established Germany as the unquestionably dominant power of continental Europe.

I disagree. Annexing the Czech lands, or at the very least setting up some kind of autonomous federal unit separate from German Bohemia, within the empire, would be extremely likely. It was part of the Holy Roman Empire, the German confederation, and “Austria proper,” so letting it go would likely anger the Austrians. Not annexing it also makes the eastern border considerably longer than it needs to be, though admittedly less of an issue being surrounded by puppets. You also have to consider that the Czechs may see the old kingdom of Bohemia as theirs, in entirety, and present a risk to the Bohemian Germans in a future conflict. And despite the nationalist rhetoric of the German unification, it didn’t stop them from taking on a bunch of poles, nor did it stop them from annexing a bunch of Frenchmen in the Franco-Prussian war. The Czechs are nowhere near populous enough to be anything more than a sizable ethnic minority, which may even benefit certain parties in the German government considering many may prefer Czech ethnic parties instead of rival German political parties. And despite the non German nature of the territory, if the German empire annexed German Austria, but left the Czechs out of it, I’d argue many Germans would be pissed. As part of the Holy Roman Empire and the German confederation, the Germans would’ve considered those territories German by right, even if not by nationality, and it would be a national embarrassment to willingly refuse the political unification of the old Holy Roman Empire, when given the opportunity, as that was the entire point of German nationalism in the first place. I’d almost argue it’s more likely for the German empire to willingly refuse to annex the Germans in western Hungary, although that too is unlikely. Furthermore, from the Kaiser’s perspective, annexing the entirety of the old HRE would completely cement the Prussian/Berlin-based dominance of ALL of Germany, and make whichever Kaiser who accomplished it the hero that German children hear about when they’re put to sleep. After beating the shit out of France, twice, carving western Russia into pieces, dominating the old ottoman balkans, and finally reuniting the entire German Reich, at the expense of the Austrian’s non German empire, it would be immensely symbolic as the moment Prussia/Germany has beaten every single one of its traditional foes, and established Germany as the unquestionably dominant power of continental Europe.
I know it has been said before but I believe it bears repeating that this hinges on the wholesale collapse of A-H, an eventuality that I see as low in likelihood.