Football in "Children of Men".

"Children of men" is one of the worst dystopias ever written, not due the state that the world finds itself in (as there are many worse in the aspect of living conditions and opression), but due the premise of mankind going sterile in 2009. Basically in 2027 they find a pregnant women and history goes on after it.

So, there are a bunch of commercials in the movie, and on in special got my attention. The football one:

0:55 of the video.

So, football is ongoing, something expected since the average age of acting players is 18-34, so in fact by 2027 the last young people of the last generation would be joining the football scene, something very sad but also interesting to think of.

Going on spoilers, it seems at the end that the woman who got pregnant have been saved and now mankind found a way to be fertile again, due the sound of children at the end of the movie. This brings the idea of how would football survive in this scenario. As such let me set a few things.

First, let's set that the end is that the cure is discovered, but it take times to spread it everywhere. Since the UK has one of the most functioning government left and the state is very totalitarian in nature, they successfully spread it in ten years, so birth rates return around in 2037, when the youngest football players will be 28. This mean it is going to take 18 more years for a new generation of players to be active again.

How would that play out? The 2009 generation will be 46 when the 2037 generation is able to play. How would the transition be like? Would the teams keep players active in their 40s? Would the British league stop the British football tournaments after most of the players are over 30 and use that generation to train the new ones?

I think older people would just continue playing as older people do play football but the game would have to be readapted around them.

Like people quit after 35 more cuz they can't keep up with the younglings than the human body becoming suddenly unable to kick ball.

Last edited:
I think older people would just continue playing as older people do play football but then game would have to be readapted around them.

Like people quit after 35 more cuz they can't keep up with the younglings than the human body becoming suddenly unable to kick ball.

I see, so this brings an interesting thing to the league's.

Basically they could set leagues to cover people in the 40s and 50s, and then establish new leagues for the upcoming generations of people. We got sub17 leagues in Brazil for players aged 14-17, so in Children of men we could end having sub17, the normal leagues, then 35+ and 45+ leagues.

I consider Children of Men one of my favorite films, definitely my favorite social sci-fi movie, and I am always disappointed by the lack of discussion about it on this forum. That said, fixating on football in this world is a very specific focus, which while odd to me is also a perfectly fine use of the material.

I would suppose that since Britain is portrayed as the last bastion of functioning civilization they would have the most operating FCs. I would expect that with their dire immigration situation they've got a lot of masses upon their shores. Perhaps some of them can play sports, in which case wealthy owners would have the pick of the litter. One could imagine a shadow underground industry of sports talent scouts who scour the dangerous camps, navigating the outlaw outcast societies, looking for talented fugees to sponsor citizenship for to play for their teams.

Imagine Adam Sandler from his new Netflix basketball scout movie traversing the decay and disorder of Bexhill, looking for players. Now there's a story.

I consider Children of Men one of my favorite films, definitely my favorite social sci-fi movie, and I am always disappointed by the lack of discussion about it on this forum. That said, fixating on football in this world is a very specific focus, which while odd to me is also a perfectly fine use of the material.

I would suppose that since Britain is portrayed as the last bastion of functioning civilization they would have the most operating FCs. I would expect that with their dire immigration situation they've got a lot of masses upon their shores. Perhaps some of them can play sports, in which case wealthy owners would have the pick of the litter. One could imagine a shadow underground industry of sports talent scouts who scour the dangerous camps, navigating the outlaw outcast societies, looking for talented fugees to sponsor citizenship for to play for their teams.

Imagine Adam Sandler from his new Netflix basketball scout movie traversing the decay and disorder of Bexhill, looking for players. Now there's a story.

If you want I can make a fast edit to turn this into a unified "Children of men" thread.

Good grief, CHILDREN OF MEN is a quite a lot to take in: thank goodness our timeline’s Big Plague only killed individuals (albeit far too many individuals) instead of doing a horribly effective job of bringing Human civilisation to the brink of the abyss.