The Death of Russia - TL

This is going to interesting places. The fall of stalingrad being a likely catalyst for a nuclear exchange, albeit a hopefully limited one due to the utter disrepair of the soviet nuclear weapons and launch systems. It does give a slight bit of hope that a ICBM has a lot of points of failure. I expect some to not launch, plenty to miss their targets completely or blow up in the sky and a good number to be duds.
And on that note, this makes me wonder if Nemtsov, Aksyuchits, and Lebed get nuked as well (as a final act of spite by either Anpilov or Barkashov) or whether this would "merely" involve the Stalinists and the Nashists blowing each other up?

Last edited:
I do hope that section eventually involves a certain vladimir dieing a completely pointless and amusing death at some point though.

I just hope that Arkan (that Serbian bastard) will be eaten by his pet tiger.

And on that note, this makes me wonder if Nemtsov, Aksyuchits, and Lebed get nuked as well (as a final act of spite by either Anpilov or Barkashov) or whether this would "merely" involve the Stalinists and the Nashists blowing each other up?

It seems that Kaliningrad and Vladivostok will not be nuked ITTL. Not so sure about Lebed.

Since the author has mentioned several times that there will be successful mushroom nukes, I think we can't put too much faith in the hilarious (as well as convenient) scenario of ICBMs in the hands of Petrograd detonating in the silo, falling halfway, do not detonate and generally do not work.

Although seeing what has been seen so far, I suspect that something like Anpilov will launch missiles in all directions will happen, but it will happen that:
-All missiles fired at the West will mysteriously miss. Maybe one will go off in a crowded city inside a NATO country, but that will be it.
-This will provoke a NATO nuclear automatic response that will turn European Russia into a radioactive wasteland.
-The missiles fired at Siberia will destroy the Lebed government, effectively eliminating any possible restoration of Russia from Siberia. (All the other governments seem to have little or no interest in re-establishing Russia as a concept.)
-The nuclear exchange between Petrograd and Stalingrad will be sure to pulverize both governments and their remnants, if NATO missiles were not enough.

-All missiles fired at the West will mysteriously miss
I dont think Sorairo will do that because that also fits in the "hilarious and convenient" category of not happening
I wont put past the West getting nuked but I think you're right that its more probable it wont happen or at least wont be the focus of this story since its about Russia kicking the bucket

I dont think Sorairo will do that because that also fits in the "hilarious and convenient" category of not happening
I wont put past the West getting nuked but I think you're right that its more probable it wont happen or at least wont be the focus of this story since its about Russia kicking the bucket
Whatever happens, we know for a fact that even if the West gets nuked, it's not a crippling attack by any means, since it's heavily implied several times that the First World is still chugging along in the 21st century. I honestly think that if the West does get nuked, it's going to be three or four cities tops. Tragic, but something that they will recover from by modern day.
I'd be more worried about nukes going off in the Middle East, since we still haven't heard back from bin Laden. I'd keep an eye on Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, they are, I think, two most likely targets for nuking, outside of Russia that is (after which Israel might well Samson Option all the other big cities of the Middle East, although that might be too Footprint of Mussolini-esque for Sorairo to do a second time)

I'd also like to draw attention to a certain quote from the latest chapter
It is unknown whether Anpilov was bluffing with this statement
It is unknown. And that's from a book written after the fact, after all the nukes have been detonated. So to me that implies that even as Anpilov nuked the other Russian states, he ultimately didn't nuke the West, likely because he died before he could. I'm pretty sure that's the only way we can't know if he was bluffing or not

To avoid the distressing Russian parts...

I think the GOP rallies behind Colin Powell - they all but begged him to run in 96 in OTL, and while he declined in a time of peace and plenty, here the call to service in dark times may be too great to refuse.

Powell/Kemp (he will still need a prolife VP) would be a hell of a ticket in OTL 96. Here? It's a coronation.

-The missiles fired at Siberia will destroy the Lebed government, effectively eliminating any possible restoration of Russia from Siberia. (All the other governments seem to have little or no interest in re-establishing Russia as a concept.)
Tyson was named an Ambassador to Siberia owing to him being a Dennis Rodman-equivalent in his fanboyism for Lebed while a serial killer was arrested in 2011, so I think any nuclear strikes in Siberia would "merely" leave Lebed with mussed hair, so to speak.

-All missiles fired at the West will mysteriously miss. Maybe one will go off in a crowded city inside a NATO country, but that will be it.

I don't think that it is Anpilov how launches missiles to NATO countires. Perhaps it is OBL who does that. And it would be too ASB that hundreds of missiles just would disappear, are missed or just not work. Even Soviet tech is not that shit. Probably one or two cities (probably in USA are hit.

-This will provoke a NATO nuclear automatic response that will turn European Russia into a radioactive wasteland.

More plausible is that Petrograd and Stalingrad governments nuke each others.

-The missiles fired at Siberia will destroy the Lebed government, effectively eliminating any possible restoration of Russia from

Some nukes are surely shot to Siberia.

-The nuclear exchange between Petrograd and Stalingrad will be sure to pulverize both governments and their remnants, if NATO missiles were not enough.

This surely happens.

Intresting and horrible thing about these nukes is that it would leave massive amount of radioactivity which would spread to Finland, Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine. Probably small amount to other countries too. And this might cause short nuclear winter too.

I'd be more worried about nukes going off in the Middle East, since we still haven't heard back from bin Laden. I'd keep an eye on Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, they are, I think, two most likely targets for nuking, outside of Russia that is (after which Israel might well Samson Option all the other big cities of the Middle East, although that might be too Footprint of Mussolini-esque for Sorairo to do a second time)

If OBL decides hit to Israel it is probably Tel Aviv or some important harbor city like Jaffa. I have hard to imaginate that even he would dare hit to Jerusalem. It is extremely important city to Muslims and such action would severely damage his cause. And if Israel is attacked, I can't see it going to nuke whole middle East. It was just sole terrorist group not a Mid-Eastern country. It would be just seen as overkilling and stupid action.

Since the author has mentioned several times that there will be successful mushroom nukes, I think we can't put too much faith in the hilarious (as well as convenient) scenario of ICBMs in the hands of Petrograd detonating in the silo, falling halfway, do not detonate and generally do not work.

Although seeing what has been seen so far, I suspect that something like Anpilov will launch missiles in all directions will happen, but it will happen that:
When did the author mention successful mushroom nukes?

I just hope that Arkan (that Serbian bastard) will be eaten by his pet tiger.

It seems that Kaliningrad and Vladivostok will not be nuked ITTL. Not so sure about Lebed.

Vladivostok I think might have a nuke or two thrown at it; Anpilov might decide to nuke the FEK specifically because it's a religious state, while the USSR was state atheist. Whether they actually work is a different question.

And for Lebed, well... there is "if I'm going down I'm taking you with me," and the fact that he's aligned against the communists and the fascists, so he'd be an obstacle in trying to reunite Russia.

Vladivostok I think might have a nuke or two thrown at it; Anpilov might decide to nuke the FEK specifically because it's a religious state, while the USSR was state atheist. Whether they actually work is a different question.

There has been mentioned FEK being still exist in 2022 so even if nuked it is not seriously damaged.

And for Lebed, well... there is "if I'm going down I'm taking you with me," and the fact that he's aligned against the communists and the fascists, so he'd be an obstacle in trying to reunite Russia.

Agree with that. Surely Anpilov has decided if he can't rule Russia no one else either too.

When did the author mention successful mushroom nukes?
I can't remember the exact quote, but in some of the omens he gave about the future, he implied that not only biological and chemical weapons were going to be used, but also nuclear weapons. And given how the TL has fared so far, I'm leaning that this attempt to nuke will result in a radioactive crater and not some hilarious situation where the nuke makes a little "pop" and breaks into rusty shards. because up to that point it had degraded.

I can't remember the exact quote, but in some of the omens he gave about the future, he implied that not only biological and chemical weapons were going to be used, but also nuclear weapons. And given how the TL has fared so far, I'm leaning that this attempt to nuke will result in a radioactive crater and not some hilarious situation where the nuke makes a little "pop" and breaks into rusty shards. because up to that point it had degraded.
its more that its called 'world war iii within a nation' and that the heartlands of Russia are fucked means that Lebed and FEK prob won't be be the damaged powers. Personally I think the Communists and Fascist will nuke each other.

its more that its called 'world war iii within a nation' and that the heartlands of Russia are fucked means that Lebed and FEK prob won't be be the damaged powers. Personally I think the Communists and Fascist will nuke each other.
Well, at the very least, I imagine Lebed, the FEK, and Kaliningrad to be targeted as well by either the Dark Triumvirate of Dugin, Barkashov, and Dobrovolsky or Anpilov's Stalinists out of spite, even if it seems they'll get their hair mussed at most instead of being totally destroyed like the Stalinists and Nashists.

I think it would be interesting to address two subjects:
What the Russian Antarctic stations did (by the time of the collapse of a Russia only Vostok, Progress, Mirny, Bellingshausen, Druzhnaya IV and Novolazarevskaya were active). Since I assume that any post-Russian state will be too busy to care about what’s happening at the bottom of the world.

What the submarines around the world did, Russia had about 260 submarines in 1994 and about 65 nuclear capable submarines.

I think it would be interesting to address two subjects:
What the Russian Antarctic stations did (by the time of the collapse of a Russia only Vostok, Progress, Mirny, Bellingshausen, Druzhnaya IV and Novolazarevskaya were active). Since I assume that any post-Russian state will be too busy to care about what’s happening at the bottom of the world.

What the submarines around the world did, Russia had about 260 submarines in 1994 and about 65 nuclear capable submarines.

Submarines probably depends their locations and what their commapnders say. At least IIRC Kaliningrad has captured whole Baltic Sea Navy.

Not really, though yeah, just a little surprised you're planning to send Alksnis this TL to see what he'd think of it.

After all, it's not the craziest idea...

BECAUSE THEORETICALLY, YOU CAN TRY TO WRITE TO BARKASHOV.

Of course, I will not do this, and his VK page has been successfully blocked on the territory of the Russian Federation at the request of the Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation.