Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the Kung Fu Panda bit, lmao. It even sparked discussion among Chinese people as to why Westerners could create a film that celebrates Chinese culture that was more enthusiastic and authentic than the Chinese themselves. While I don't think it's going to spark the same discussion ITTL, inevitably there will be a film from the West that's going to start that discussion.

What do you mean? As in a decline of LGBTQ representation or appeasement towards Chinese audiences?
I sincerely hope that both happen regardless (i.e. KFP happens in some way or another, and the Chinese animation sector picks up - right now it's mostly lame DTV-level stuff like the Russians).

Meaning that American studios start going out of their way to tailor the movie toward PRCs and their censors. It doesn't even work most of the time, because there's already several Asian movie industries - which means they don't watch Hollywood just to see other Asians - and the censors often censor them anyway (or add random product placement everywhere) just because they feel like it.
... And the less said about crap like the Mulan remake, the better.

Last edited:
I really like The Poet and the Dragon. I think it was an excellent idea to go with an original tale, and I really like the thematic exploration of love and relationships.

By avoiding that documentary about the Dali Lama, I guess there was less resistance on the Chinese side of things, which explains its better performance than OTL Mulan (and of course avoiding the 'they adapted my childhood story wrong!' feeling that so many Disney films fall into).

9M4X2
Top 9 Important Moments in X2 (That Audiences Totally Missed at the Time)
From Nerdgasm.net, June 16th, 2008

X-Men 2: Rise of the Sentinels, simply called “X2” by everybody except the most pedantic nerds, was a popular addition to the growing Marvel Movie Universe or MMU (Earth #307135 for you super-nerds), making a cool $264 million at the Box Office when it appeared in the summer of 1998. Between its epic clash between Magneto's extremist Brotherhood of Mutants and Professor Xavier's titular X-Men, it's shocking revelations on the Weapon X program and Wolvie's epic clash with Lady Deathstrike and Hydra's subtle role in the program, and of course the titular rise of the co-titular Sentinels themselves (technically Mark I's), there was lots of dynamic superhero action[1].

But few audiences at the time appreciated the sneaky ways in which Marvel slipped in important hints, foreshadowing, and plot points for Things Yet to Come. Here are our Top [number] Important Mo...oh, just read the title, nerds!

#1: Agent Gyrich's hidden character arc begins

3426843-captainamerica01306.jpg
Avengers-Infinity-War-Captain-Marvel-Kevin-Feige.jpg

Agent Gyrich in the Comics vs. the MMU (Image sources Comics Vine and Heroic Hollywood)

Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson took the MMU by storm as the jaded and sarcastic SHIELD Agent Henry Peter Gyrich, Director Nick Fury's #2. But only the most dedicated nerds would have predicted the secret character arc that would play out in tiny “blink or you'll miss them” moments over the course of the MMU. And they all started here. Agent Gyrich began in the comics as an opponent to the Avengers and then later menaced the X-Men as an anti-mutant bigot, which should have been our first clue to where things were going. When Gyrich appears at Xavier's School to talk with the Professor, his not-so-subtle distaste for Xavier and the Mutants is palpable. And yet nobody at the time could have known just where this subtle set-up would lead!

#2: When a Trask meets a Zemo

1670499117194.png

Bolivar Trask (Image source Marvel Database wiki)

Played by the diabolically charming Andy Garcia, Bolivar Trask of Trask Industries, the builders of the titular (huh-huh, we love that word, huh-huh) Sentinels, is shown to be the “power behind the throne” (along with cameos by Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw), with the exclusive Hellfire Club being the place where Senator Kelly and the Reverend Stryker receive their orders, so to say. So when Trask, Shaw, and Frost are shown to have a meeting with one Helmut Zemo (Birol Ünel), identical grandson to the evil Hydra agent Baron Heinrich Zemo who appears in Captain America (as Kitty Pride secretly watches), you know that heinous fuckery is afoot! The next few films would reveal the full story, of course...

#3: Mutant Origins and Captain America Teased

cap3pd.jpg

(Image source TV Tropes)

During Gyrich’s discussions with Professor X and during Trask and Zemo's meeting, we get hints about an “event” in 1945 that seems to have led to the current “spike” in Mutation rates. It’s suggested through discussions of “background levels” of some atmospheric radiation and “dramatic increases above the pre-war baseline” of mutant numbers. During Logan and Sabertooth's dramatic interactions at the Weapon X facility, we also get hints that Hydra and Baron Heinrich Zemo's “Project Odin” super soldier experiments from World War II formed the basis for the clandestine experiment. While the specifics were not yet called out, the coming films, starting with The Mighty Thor, Captain America, and Fantastic Four: Rise and Fall in 1999, would begin giving answers to these quick hints.

#4: Hints about the Fate of the Fan4

d_9rmyfwkaeutsc.jpg-large.jpeg

(Image source Variety)

In Black Panther, released later the same year, we're introduced to a still-of-the-same-age Reed Richards in 1998, over three decades after we last saw him. There's a hint to this when Trask Industries, which builds the Sentinels, is shown to inhabit the Baxter Building and the former Richards Laboratory. There is a toss-away line about the space being “abandoned in ‘63” when “the Four vanished”. What happened? Viewers would have to wait for 1999's Fantastic Four: Rise and Fall for the full answer. Furthermore, some of the damage caused when the X-Men and the Brotherhood fight inside the Baxter Building reveals Reed's old hidden safe, setting up an important moment in the Fan4 sequel.

#5: Stryker's Tragic Backstory reveals a Dark Twist ahead

17157c0b41bbf1a79195a9f4419b87e315d33e62_00.jpg

Jason Stryker (Image source Amino Apps)

The Reverend Colonel William Stryker (Malcolm McDowell), introduced as a bitter, bigoted Falwell-like figure in X1, is given some humanity when it’s revealed that he killed his wife and (he believed) infant son Jason in a rage after discovering that the child was a Mutant, with Trask and the Hellfire Club revealed to have covered up the crime (hence their sway over him). Feeling like Mutants were the children of Satan, and (it is suggested) harboring repressed guilt over his crimes, he leads the Crusade against Mutanthood. But when it is revealed that Weapon X project leader and then-Lieutenant Colonel Thunderbolt Ross (under the guidance of Shaw and Frost) had experimented upon his very much living son as part of the Weapon X program, and that the jaded Jason Stryker (Michael Vartan) is the merciless figure behind the secret Mutant-murdering “enforcement arm” of the Sentinels paramilitary organization known as the Purifiers, the suggestion is that even the members of Hellfire are pawns in a much larger game.

#6: Thunderbolt Ross and the Military Industrial Complex

ThunderboltRoss.jpg

Thunderbolt Ross (Image source wikimedia)

And speaking of Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross, the Hulk-hunting Air Force General Officer, played by Chris Cooper, may not have had a big role in this film, but his brief appearance hinted at the extent of the Military Industrial Complex in the MMU, it’s shadowy links to SHIELD, Hydra, the Hellfire Club, and the Sentinels, and the complex web of links between these organizations. How deep does the rabbit hole go? Stay tuned, kids!!

#7: More References to the Starks and Stark Industries

partytony-1268663231.jpg

(Image source Town Square)

Tony Stark had not yet been formally introduced as of X2, and neither had his actor, and yet his presence looms all the same. First hinted at in The Incredible Hulk, Tony's reputation as a prodigal party boy precedes him. And while his father Howard, played by the Epic Mustache Delivery System known as Tom Sellick, made a brief appearance in The Fantastic Four in 1997, Tony himself would not actually appear until the Fan4 sequel the next year, and then only as a cameo and not yet donning a suit of iron. But Trask will make references to Stark Industries and its brilliant robotics expert Helmut Zemo, in particular hoping for a way to glean some of those corporate secrets for his "next iteration" of Sentinels. Much would come of these passing lines...

#8: Erik Lehnsherr: Name-Dropper

1670498950915.png

(Image source Comic Adventures wiki)

Early in the film, the Brotherhood of Mutants are watching a news report about Senator Kelly and the Sentinels (a scene of humorous domesticity before the deep, dark events of the film). Magneto bemoans the name, offhandedly saying “The true Sentinels of Liberty would never have stood for this!” Sabretooth, confused, asks who he’s talking about, to which Magneto is evasive. The meaning behind this line would be revealed in next year’s Captain America, where we found out that Mags and Cap go back a looong time[2].

#9: The Phoenix Appears...Briefly

x2-phoenix-2.jpg

The Force is Strong with her... (Image source Cinematic Slant)

And finally (and most critically), just as Jean Grey’s eyes briefly displayed the fire of the Phoenix while saving the X-Jet in X1, so does the Phoenix itself make the briefest of appearances. When Magneto threatens to squeeze Professor Xavier to death with an iron beam and rip Wolvie apart, Jean...gets...pissed. Not only does the glow appear in her eyes as she casts him and the rest of the Brotherhood away, but her whole body is briefly aglow with the frothing, fiery power of a certain celestial firebird, complete with the hint of wings. Naturally, X3 would give the whole MMU The Bird.

. . .​

And there you go, 9 things in X2 that are so important in hindsight, but that most missed when the film debuted.

Do you have any other important X2 moments that we missed? Anything that critically informs the MMU ahead? Let us know below in the comments, nerds!!

[1] The movie will explore the similarities between Project Odin, Weapon X, Project Wideawake (which developed the Sentinels), Project Avenger, and the conspiracies behind them in an exploration of the Military-Industrial Complex and its awkward ties to politics, the economy, and the government.

[2] This one by @Nathanoraptor.

Last edited:
I thought the R&D venture to develop the Sentinels would be called "Project Wideawake."

Since Robert Downey Jr. was already Supes, not to mention being too dead take on any roles now, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Tony Stark will be Timothy Daly, who looked just like the usual Eighties/Nineties OTL depiction in The Avengers, various team-up books, and his own book.

Also, how are they going to keep both Cap and the original modern thermonuclear family interesting as characters, if they are both exploring variants of the Temporal Fish Out of Water theme? We have two different sets of New Yorkers who missed the full highlights of the Civil Rights movement. I'm quite certain Steve (Rogers) won't be around to invstigate Watergate and Iran-Contra (and get fired for the latter, making way for Johnny Walker Red, White, and Blue Label).

Five words: Hugh Jackman as Tony Stark.

Want more? Apparently IOTL he was considered for the role but he was too focused on Wolverine to consider it.

Since Robert Downey Jr. was already Supes, not to mention being too dead take on any roles now, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Tony Stark will be Timothy Daly, who looked just like the usual Eighties/Nineties OTL depiction in The Avengers, various team-up books, and his own book.

Five words: Hugh Jackman as Tony Stark.

We already have an actor for him - and it ain't Tim Daly or Hugh Jackman.

(It's Nicolas Cage - as mentioned in my Lost World post in the Guest Thread. Cage was also considered for the role OTL when the film was still in development hell).

X-Men 2: Rise of the Sentinels, simply called “X2” by everybody except the most pedantic nerds, was a popular addition to the growing Marvel Movie Universe or MMU (Earth #307135 for you super-nerds), making a cool $264 million at the Box Office when it appeared in the summer of 1998. Between its epic clash between Magneto's extremist Brotherhood of Mutants and Professor Xavier's titular X-Men, it's shocking revelations on the Weapon X program and Wolvie's epic clash with Lady Deathstrike and Hydra's subtle role in the program, and of course the titular rise of the co-titular Sentinels themselves (technically Mark I's), there was lots of dynamic superhero action[1].
We van count this as another win for Disney. Also I love that it's still called X2.
Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson took the MMU by storm as the jaded and sarcastic SHIELD Agent Henry Peter Gyrich, Director Nick Fury's #2. But only the most dedicated nerds would have predicted the secret character arc that would play out in tiny “blink or you'll miss them” moments over the course of the MMU. And they all started here. Agent Gyrich began in the comics as an anti-mutant bigot, which should have been our first clue to where things were going. When Gyrich appears at Xavier's School to talk with the Professor, his not-so-subtle distaste for Xavier and the Mutants is palpable. And yet nobody at the time could have known just where this subtle set-up would lead!
They pulled a Trask on him! I'm actually really curious how this will effect the comics, if they ever make an Ultimate Universe I can see them including this Gyrich or maybe he becomes Director of Shield for some time like Maria Hill in OTL.

Also I wonder how much they'll play with real world racism thanks to him now being black. I can already see a scene where he will spew bigoted rhetoric at the X-Men only to be hit with the remark that some people say the same about his people.
Played by the diabolically charming Andy Garcia, Bolivar Trask of Trask Industries, the builders of the titular (huh-huh, we love that word, huh-huh) Sentinels, is shown to be the “power behind the throne” (along with cameos by Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw), with the exclusive Hellfire Club being the place where Senator Kelly and the Reverend Stryker receive their orders, so to say. So when Trask, Shaw, and Frost are shown to have a meeting with one Helmut Zemo (Birol Ünel), identical grandson to the evil Hydra agent Baron Heinrich Zemo who appears in Captain America (as Kitty Pride secretly watches), you know that heinous fuckery is afoot! The next few films would reveal the full story, of course...
Speaking of Trask I love the casting, also the Hellfire Club and Emma Frost are always a treat. The juxtaposition of Ref. Stryker in a lingerie club literally named after Purgatory is also just perfect. The Shepherds will feel attacked.
During Gyrich’s discussions with Professor X and during Trask and Zemo's meeting, we get hints about an “event” in 1945 that seems to have led to the current “spike” in Mutation rates. It’s suggested through discussions of “background levels” of some atmospheric radiation and “dramatic increases above the pre-war baseline” of mutant numbers. During Logan and Sabertooth's dramatic interactions at the Weapon X facility, we also get hints that Hydra and Baron Heinrich Zemo's “Project Odin” super soldier experiments from World War II formed the basis for the clandestine experiment. While the specifics were not yet called out, the coming films, starting with The Mighty Thor, Captain America, and Fantastic Four: Rise and Fall in 1999, would begin giving answers to these quick hints.
This really reminds me of the Ultimate Universe again with its revelation that Mutants are failed experiments to recreate Captain America. Wonder if that will sweep over to 616 too. Can't wait for Cap!
In Black Panther, released later the same year, we're introduced to a still-of-the-same-age Reed Richards in 1998, over three decades after we last saw him. There's a hint to this when Trask Industries, which builds the Sentinels, is shown to inhabit the Baxter Building and the former Richards Laboratory. There is a toss-away line about the space being “abandoned in ‘63” when “the Four vanished”. What happened? Viewers would have to wait for 1999's Fantastic Four: Rise and Fall for the full answer. Furthermore, some of the damage caused when the X-Men and the Brotherhood fight inside the Baxter Building reveals Reed's old hidden safe, setting up an important moment in the Fan4 sequel
So the Four went missing in 63? Interesting I'll say it has something to do with the Negative Zone, but I'm really curious how they will handle this story arc and how it will differ from Caps fish out of water story.
And speaking of Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross, the Hulk-hunting Air Force General Officer, played by Chris Cooper, may not have had a big role in this film, but his brief appearance hinted at the extent of the Military Industrial Complex in the MMU, it’s shadowy links to SHIELD, Hydra, the Hellfire Club, and the Sentinels, and the complex web of links between these organizations. How deep does the rabbit hole go? Stay tuned, kids!!
Wow, didn't expect it to get this deep, while many accuse the MCU from pandering to the military you certainly can't say that about the MMU. I bet once we get an Iron Man movie the depiction of Rhodey as a positive depiction of a a military man will stand out more.
Tony Stark had not yet been formally introduced as of X2, and neither had his actor, and yet his presence looms all the same. First hinted at in The Incredible Hulk, Tony's reputation as a prodigal party boy precedes him. And while his father Howard, played by the Epic Mustache Delivery System known as Tom Sellick, made a brief appearance in The Fantastic Four in 1997, Tony himself would not actually appear until the Fan4 sequel the next year, and then only as a cameo and not yet donning a suit of iron. But Trask will make references to Stark Industries and its brilliant robotics expert Helmut Zemo, in particular hoping for a way to glean some of those corporate secrets for his "next iteration" of Sentinels. Much would come of these passing lines
(It's Nicolas Cage - as mentioned in my Lost World post in the Guest Thread. Cage was also considered for the role OTL when
Tony Stark being more if a mystery than the centrepiece is probably the biggest difference between the MMU and the MCU, I wonder what kind of energy Cage will bring to the role. Will he play it straight or will his Stark be kind of a lunatic inventor?
And finally (and most critically), just as Jean Grey’s eyes briefly displayed the fire of the Phoenix while saving the X-Jet in X1, so does the Phoenix itself make the briefest of appearances. When Magneto threatens to squeeze Professor Xavier to death with an iron beam and rip Wolvie apart, Jean...gets...pissed. Not only does the glow appear in her eyes as she casts him and the rest of the Brotherhood away, but her whole body is briefly aglow with the frothing, fiery power of a certain celestial firebird, complete with the hint of wings. Naturally, X3 would give the whole MMU The Bird.
Cool set up! Although that makes me wonder: Is the Phoenix a cosmic entity here or just a part of Jean? Perhaps a manifestation of her rage that will eventually become uncontrollable?

Regardless I'm glad we're talking our time and will get a proper Dark Phoenix saga in the MMU. I bet the guy trying to make it a reality but keeps getting screwed over by Fox would be glad to see this.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Hmm. I think I'd like this, but there's a definite sense of too much going on at once, and specifically too much setting up things that aren't going to pay off until future movies. Then again, that's what the article is specifically focusing on, so maybe I wouldn't be that aware of it if I was actually watching it.

Thanks again, all, and a special thanks to David Wostyn for reviewing The Poet and the Dragon for accuracy/appropriateness.

I take it the Chinese International Market (TM) will carry them the rest of the way? For better or worse, the rest of Hollywood's bound to start paying attention.
Seems inevitable that Emerging Market of Billions with Disposable Cash will attract Hollywoo in one way or another.

So, ITTL, I guess the trope about how death gods are generally portrayed as villains even when this isn't the case in the original myths would be "Everyone Hates Yan"?

(I notice you even gave him blue flames...)
Possibly so. The blue flames were inspired by traditional Chinese art depicting Diyu, not a coy reference to Hades, actually.

I thought the R&D venture to develop the Sentinels would be called "Project Wideawake."
It should have been, actually, good call. Consider it retconned.

Also, how are they going to keep both Cap and the original modern thermonuclear family interesting as characters, if they are both exploring variants of the Temporal Fish Out of Water theme?
I'm really curious how they will handle this story arc and how it will differ from Caps fish out of water story.
Stay tuned, but in short, the characters each come from a different time period and have different personality dynamics.

Hmm. I think I'd like this, but there's a definite sense of too much going on at once, and specifically too much setting up things that aren't going to pay off until future movies. Then again, that's what the article is specifically focusing on, so maybe I wouldn't be that aware of it if I was actually watching it.
You answered your own question in the second sentence, actually. The point of the article is specifically about the little set-ups that fans at the time didn't notice. Quick, passing moments like a name drop or a brief cameo. Gyrich's character arc, for example, is visible only in hindsight; here he's just a rather shady Government Agent poking into things at the Xavier Academy (they haven't even mentioned SHIELD yet!). Jason Stryker and the Purifiers play a larger role as Act II/III antagonists, and the Hellfire Club is a central antagonist, but the Thunderbolt Ross appearance is little more than a cameo, the appearance of Zemo is a single scene that mostly (to the audiences) ties the HC to "something darker" as yet unknown, and Stark is a passing comment.

Generally, audiences (other than the most pedantic fanboys devouring Easter Eggs) are more focused on the clash between Xavier and Eric on how to deal with the rise of the Sentinels or the subplot involving Logan and Sabes and the Weapon X Program than really wondering or caring that the HC is meeting with someone named Dr. Zemo, who is just another Creepy Background Guy whose importance is only visible in hindsight.

But yes, you can see how they're trying to front-load some story elements for later, much like they did with Age of Ultron iOTL. These "growing pains" as they try to create a Movie Universe will become more apparent in upcoming posts. And yes, some critics and fans will have some issues with them "trying to pack too much in". Such is the challenge of a Cinematic Universe!

I don't want to be presumptuous but I do have a few possible ideas.

1.) A backstory for Emma Frost in that she was Xavier's first student.

In the comics her original backstory was that she was sent to the looney bin. Later stories gave her an abusive father in Winston Frost; my idea is that Emma was thrown in to avoid embarrassing the family (they didn't know she had powers.) Charles discovered her early on and rescued her, showing that no she wasn't insane and that her powers could be a gift. He also forced Winston to back off (something that Winston held against him due to a dislike of loosing), and Emma actually found romance and happiness with Sean Cassidy (a shout out to them having sexual tension in the 90s). They even had a daughter Teresa. Unfortunately, Winston came back and moved to forcibly take custody of Teresa using every underhanded method he could think of (he's friends with the judge, he drags Sean's degenerate brother Tom into the custody hearing, goes after the Cassidy parents, who were far more of a family to Emma than her own family was barring her gay brother). His reasons are that he considers his kids disappointments in their own way, and wants Teresa to be his new heir.....something that horrifies Emma due to her own shitty childhood.

Xavier and Magneto were unable to help her, and when Emma was at her most desperate Sebastian approached her and offered her the help she needed. Emma took the deal, and Sebastian helped her utterly destroy her father and take over his company (we see a flashback of him being dragged out of the building while ranting angrily). However her increasing ruthlessness drove Sean away from her, and to add insult to injury she also lost Teresa, which just makes her even more bitter and cold.

I can easily see Emma bringing this up to Jean during the movie, as an attempt to undermine her faith in Charles (and it's somewhat effective because it's 100% true, even if Emma's accounting is somewhat biased).

2.) Nathaniel Essex, the Devil Doctor. At least one fanfic had Essex be one of the people who experimented on Magneto in the camps, and I honestly think that's a brilliant twist. Essex's comics backstory also works pretty well since he ties in with Eugenics (one of the biggest bastardizations of Evolution). I was also imagining that Gambit (if he shows up) is a clone of Essex's dead son Adam (albeit made free of the genetic defects that killed Adam.) It gives even a monster like Essex a humanizing moment since after all these years he STILL mourns his beloved son.

Last edited:
Taking One for the Team
Chapter 4: Henson’s Dilemma
From Dis-War Two: The Great Disney Proxy Culture War of 1998, by Taylor Johnson

By August, the Good Shepherd Group, an ironic name in Henson’s opinion, had acquired 7% of the outstanding shares and Turner 5%. Even if they quit now, they could prove a thorn in the side of Disney Management. If they could get more support, including from some of the Disneys (many of whom were still socially conservative in certain respects), they could remake the company at the next Shareholder’s meeting in September, likely without him in it.

Both Diane Disney Miller and Roy Disney assured him that he had their support, even if their open distrust of each other complicated matters in that regard, but even so, with Ted Turner’s plans for his 5% stake as yet unknown, Sid Bass fully acknowledging to the board that he and his family were under pressure, and the plans of GE and even many Knights Errant suspect, life was clearly about to get complicated. In 1984 he’d largely retreated from the drama surrounding the ACC buyout attempt, but there was no escape from it as Chairman and he was thrust into the middle of it all. CEO Stan Kinsey and President/COO Dick Nunis worked closely with him on the matter, but he had them concentrate on “running the ship” while he took point on the stock battle.

Yet where the buyout of fifteen years prior had left him stressed and worried, he approached it all this time with a “Zen-like” (to quote CEO Stan Kinsey) calm that kept the board focused and unified. Though dreamy-eyed and still stooped from years of Muppets-based contortionism that his chiropractor was still struggling to sort out – not the tall, focused “executive leader” image that most would have strived for in his position – there was an “old master” vibe to the man that encouraged the rest of the board to follow him. He’d proven his honesty and reliability, never tried to mislead the board, and they trusted his decisions. But they also knew that he’d approach things pragmatically in the business sense, and show a willingness to bend, but not break, on certain areas.

And yet despite the outward calm, Henson was still worried. He knew that he was the focus of the ire leading to this takeover attempt, a convenient scapegoat for what the Shepherds saw as the moral decay of a once-great company. While even Falwell likely knew that Henson hadn’t made all of the controversial decisions in a vacuum, he was a convenient strawman in what was really a battle in a larger culture war being fought between those who Henson saw as “radical reactionary racists stuck in a past best left behind” and “the forces of American diversity, progress, and futurism”. The “Old Scheme” vs. the “New Dream” made manifest.

Obviously, he could admit to himself, they saw things the other way around.

And yet Henson was still Henson, the guy who “hated to be a bother”, and he was internalizing the struggle. The Disneys, despite their mutual distrust, said that they backed him. Spielberg, Lucas, and Jobs all pledged their support and urged him to fight. And yet all of the fuss surrounding him wore him down.

On August 6th, Hiroshima Day, Henson noted in his Red Book, he was approached by a man who called himself “Mr. E.” Mr. E. claimed to have information that he’d “find helpful”. Against his better judgement, but urged on by his old friend and supporter Al Gottesman, they met E., who showed them photographs of a famous televangelist, one of the Shepherds, in a compromising position with another man. It was a bombshell in the making. The Shepherds prided themselves on their “moral authority”, and yet here was a prominent member in the midst of what appeared to be what the Shepherds would classify as an unforgivable sin, even if Henson himself couldn’t have cared less. If this image made the rounds, it could damage or break apart the Shepherds by demonstrating hypocrisy. E. asked for fourteen million dollars for the images, noting that the televangelist in question had offered twelve million.

Gottesman urged Henson to take the deal, but Henson hesitated, and asked E. for a day to “think things over”. Henson certainly didn’t share the Shepherd’s beliefs that said televangelist was committing anything wrong or sinful per se, even as the gall of the hypocrisy stung him (said Televangelist was an outspoken homophobe who pushed “gay conversion therapy” and advocated criminalization of homosexual portrayals in the media). And yet certainly, this was a potent weapon in his arsenal as he fought against the invaders.

“Weapons”, “arsenal”, “invaders” …was this the language that he now used? The peacenik who hated corporate boardrooms and Robert’s Rules of Order now the Corporate Warrior? Should he read Sun Tzu and hang a katana behind his desk next?

Henson looked at the potential fork in the road before him. If he compromised here, where would he compromise next? If he could work with blackmailers, could he work with racketeers? White collar criminals? Perhaps he could cook the books or offshore some profits to dodge taxes? He looked back at the earlier compromises that he had made. He talked at length with Roy and Diane about Walt, and the “two sides” of the man, the beloved public figure and the ruthless businessman who many felt treated employees like subjects. Would he follow the same path? “Uncle Jim” vs. “Chairman James M. Henson?”

Jim Henson made his decision: he politely turned down Mr. E., who presumably sold the photos to the subject in question[1].

He also came to another conclusion, one that would disarm the Shepherds and presumably prevent a larger and uglier proxy war.

On August 9th, Nagasaki Day, Jim Henson assembled the Full Disney Board of Directors, including the Associate Directors, and announced his plans to retire as Chairman of the Walt Disney Entertainment Company.

Stocks at a Glance: Walt Disney Entertainment (DIS)

August 6th, 1998

Stock price: $107.72

Major Shareholders: Henson family (19.4%), Roy E. Disney family (12.9%), Disney-Miller family (12.9%), General Electric (10.5%), Bass Brothers (8.7%), Bill Marriott (5.7%), Amblin Entertainment (1.3%), Apple Comp. (0.7%), Lucasfilm Ltd. (0.7%), Suspected “Knights Errant” (4.9%), Shepherd Group (7.3%), Columbia Entertainment (5.2%), Other (9.1%; ~8% Institutional Investors)

Outstanding shares: 498.6 million

[1] While a perverse part of me was tempted to let Jim Henson “break bad” as it were, it seemed utterly out of character, even for a man subtly changed by his new circumstances.

It is very gratifying to see Jim stick to his true sense of identity. One of the best aspects of this TL is how the responsibility and pressure has changed Jim, but also how he has changed the world around him as well.

And that last line...

I have an inkling that just getting rid of Jim won't leave the Shepards satisfied.

Wow....

Wasn't expecting this. @Geekhis Khan.

One little thing here - is this a bait-and-switch to chase the Shepherds off (I draw emphasis to the word "plans" - and given this is only Chapter 4 of the book, it seems to imply the game's not over), or is this.... how it ends?

I have an inkling that just getting rid of Jim won't leave the Shepards satisfied.

I mean, he still has shares in the company - big ones - so he's not "rid of" per se. (Even if this isn't a "game isn't over yet", Henson could always choose his own replacement and convince the Disneys, Spielberg and Lucas to back them, so the plan to get Katz in goes pear-shaped - mind you, I think that's out of the question anyway).

Last edited:
I get the feeling those photos will still come up, just in the hands of say, gossip magazines or someone far less scrupulous than Henson.

Well Jim's career at Disney was good while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end.

Hopefully a post-Chairman Henson Disney will not fall into an audience-alienating era.

Well Jim's career at Disney was good while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end.

Hopefully a post-Chairman Henson Disney will not fall into an audience-alienating era.

Again, he still has big shares in the company (and has long-term meaningful links to it - well, after eighteen years, you have to), so he's not out of Disney per se - even if this isn't a "darkest before the dawn" moment, Henson could always choose his own replacement and convince the Disneys, Spielberg and Lucas to back them. So this isn't "the end" for his career at Disney per se.

Isn't he also Chief Creative Officer too? It's not like he is going to be fully out of Disney but he is definitely going to lose a large amount of his creative control by retiring as Chairman.

Status
Not open for further replies.