What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

Well no, it is not like that.
I myself think it's apart of a couple of tropes coming together into a toxic mess that tends to create that particular cocktail.

One is ''under or nazi dog'' people tend to admire underdogs and rebels, indeed just add rebel trope will increase a books popularity by a bit. Of course to prevent the audience from rooting for the potential rebel one must twist their placing by making the country their are trying gain freedom from the real rebels if that makes sense. By that they turn the rebel country often into a seeming reincarnation of Nazi's or a clone not because they are just evil rather they do it because that way they claim a tradition of victory and oppression that was very successful and in turn the country fighting them can claim to be in turn the tradition of righteous victims of oppression fighting them and or inheritors of the enlightenment. The trend of referring to them as thugs is a example, it brings mind someone scary that would make the reader uneasy as a person than two states clashing with the old nation likely having a massive advantage in resources, manpower, economy compared to just one province.

Two Nazi's are evil so everyone evil must be Nazis', yeah I know it's not wrong but it is definitely a thing, I myself do think it's apart of what people call the secular devil thing with Hitler being the modern one. Often times a civil war is portrayed as a battle for a nations soul, something a author will always have mixed feelings on given every nation has it's greatness and fault and often happens one side get's the bad traits and the others good, with these evil traits in turning leading to the path of the modern devil, the Nazi.

Three absolutism, AH is often great but one must admit it's got a thing for everything ending in absolutes, perfect nation or the worst nation ever ect, in other words even if they are not Nazis the rebels and loyalists will behave as if this a war of complete and total extermination from the beginning with no one doubting it's better to drown the other side in their blood if need be to win. Complete victory or complete destruction is all that awaits each side. No one will consider signing a peace deal unless it's complete submission even if it means another war starts.

Four It must matter, the idea of a nation being neutral or apathic to it is wrong so as a result the rebels must make enemies with the whole world that way you won't have neutral.

Let's see
1) US presidential elections, detailed with the exact color of the shirt worn by the running mate's nephew's former girlfriend three years before
2) the same but with CSA instead of USA
3) the same, but with both USA and CSA
4) the Habsburgs being stupidi and doing stupid, senseless stuff
5) the Habsburgs losing any war they find themselves in
6) the prussians being super-duper-smart and winning any war they join
7) the american civil war
8) the CSA winning the war, but then crumbling because they are Habsburgs...eh, Sorry, I meant, because they are backward and generally "bad people"

This is more to do with comments than writers, but I am often finding a surprising number of people very... Unwilling to see history actually change? Like someone sets up changes that should logically have massive consequences cascading over years and generations, but a lot of commenters seem to want to insist that things will still go mostly the same:

Christianity will not only exist but radically expand across the world.
Japan will stupidly invade the US regardless of of changed circumstances.
Europe will successfully colonize the planet and start the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Just as a joke for the thing of Christianity, as joke: Viva Cristo Rey, as they say in Mexico specially ("Long live Christ the King" - Cristero thing if I am not wrong).

Last edited:
This is more to do with comments than writers, but I am often finding a surprising number of people very... Unwilling to see history actually change? Like someone sets up changes that should logically have massive consequences cascading over years and generations, but a lot of commenters seem to want to insist that things will still go mostly the same:

There are some things that are easier to change than others, as far as PODs go. It's probably not going to mean nearly as much to the Atlantic Slave Trade whether or not Poland reforms as a united kingdom under the Silesian Piasts as whether or not the Almohads fall apart, despite the significant effects of the former POD.

Casimir III having a son vs. Isaac I (of the Byzantine empire) living and reigning another decade probably don't matter that much either, despite their effects in other ways.

Edited to add: Just noting this as far as that given what PODs people seem to do a lot of.

Last edited:
There are some things that are easier to change than others, as far as PODs go. It's probably not going to mean nearly as much to the Atlantic Slave Trade whether or not Poland reforms as a united kingdom under the Silesian Piasts as whether or not the Almohads fall apart, despite the significant effects of the former POD.

Casimir III having a son vs. Isaac I (of the Byzantine empire) living and reigning another decade probably don't matter that much either, despite their effects in other ways.
While this is true, I was very much musing on major changes like Cortez eating dirt near instantly and as a result not managing to make the necessary allies to topple the Aztecs, thus not inciting the idea the 'New World' was an easy conquest that you could just extract mountains of gold from. Or like, stuff happens and as a result Japan never invades Manchuria but is instead stuck in a pacific ocean pissing contest with Europe ETC. The general reaction from many posters to ideas like this has often been "OK, but the slave trade will still form just like OTL, and colonialism will also happen mostly the same just with some names flipped around, also Christianity will still become the dominant faith " ETC.

Austrian-oriented greater Germany.
I am guilty of this abomination...

Christianity will not only exist but radically expand across the world.
Japan will stupidly invade the US regardless of of changed circumstances.
Europe will successfully colonize the planet and start the Atlantic Slave Trade.
While its nothing new that I do like Christianity I have to agree with you here

The trend as I see it is that every person or event MUST be butterflied away right after the POD or else the TL is ASB(butterfly purism) but also it HAS to end up like OTL because OTL is the definitive version of how things should be and things happened this way because they were fated by geography/economics/social trends that are unavoidable(like ethnic nationalism for example) and the AH is limited to stick with the OTL events(but with everyone butterflied away) plus the modification they made to OTL(like the byzantines surviving)

And is mostly Prussian Germany - or just to do the inverse, Austrian-oriented greater Germany.
Basically everyone loves Germany so much that they always want them to be superior to anyone else and you're nice stronger than ever even though it's out of left field of Althist Works

While its nothing new that I do like Christianity I have to agree with you here

The trend as I see it is that every person or event MUST be butterflied away right after the POD or else the TL is ASB(butterfly purism) but also it HAS to end up like OTL because OTL is the definitive version of how things should be and things happened this way because they were fated by geography/economics/social trends that are unavoidable(like ethnic nationalism for example) and the AH is limited to stick with the OTL events(but with everyone butterflied away) plus the modification they made to OTL(like the byzantines surviving)
Sorry XD I tend to read a lot of stuff centered on civilizations that faced colonialism so Christianity tends to come up a lot.

That does seem to be a sort of recurring and underlying theme to a lot of these comments, like some minor changes might happen who's name is on something, an area gaining a small subculture of immigrants or refugees, but actual big changes after the initial one just seem to be rejected due to the weight of OTL history.

That does seem to be a sort of recurring and underlying theme to a lot of these comments, like some minor changes might happen who's name is on something, an area gaining a small subculture of immigrants or refugees, but actual big changes after the initial one just seem to be rejected due to the weight of OTL history.
Big changes bad small changes good, essencially
People and subcultures must change but.dont touch the World Wars!

Big changes bad small changes good, essencially
People and subcultures must change but.dont touch the World Wars!
Mhm pretty much yeah.
Its hilarious cos I discussed an alt history idea with someone else before and outlined WW2 for it and they were like "No, no, WW2 would not be happening in this timeline" XD

Honestly I think another part that gets to me about it is this trend does nothing to stop the "What if the Nazis/South won" Alt histories, and like... Their relative success in OTL is already straining credulity, but apparently they get a pass for major changes?

They're always going to have to be a pop culture post that for some reason always have the exact same plot character and story but changed nationality for cause changed

It really does overwhelming to see how many posts are like that especially on images / photos of Alternate world threads

I think if you want a big change, and I'm writing this here instead of getting caught up in talking Cortez or 20th century Japan, you need a really big POD.

For example, if you want France to fall apart to the extent of "there is no King of the Franks/France" crowned at all in the early 15th century, you really need a POD well before Philip II, I think. You can have a lot of things happen differently with him dying in infancy or never born or dying without a male heir, and some of them lead to a France not much like ours - but "France" being "What if the Romance-speaking parts of the Holy Roman Empire were a separate kingdom?" to your timeline would take a lot more than just unfavorable comparisons of TTL's kings of West Francia and OTL's.

That some people really like WWII even while also liking having the Byzantine emperor own an airship seems to come from a different headspace than I think I can really get into, so I have nothing to add on that.

Last edited:
Mhm pretty much yeah.
Its hilarious cos I discussed an alt history idea with someone else before and outlined WW2 for it and they were like "No, no, WW2 would not be happening in this timeline" XD
I made fun of this with my Carthaginian Byzies
Like "oh look Carthage won, whats happen to the byzantines now?" even though the Eastern Roman Empire shouldnt even exist in that timeline, like at all

With the Carthage's version of Byzantium being in Italy and composed of ethnic latins XD
Also they randomly adopt a evangelical greek religion from OTL, because of course they have to, but instead of Christianity its Marcionism XD