couple questions:

would the official mourning for the Holy Roman Emperor "delay" Angoulême's coronation at all - out of a respect? Or perhaps superstition (its April 1844 and so far there've been three royal deaths in as many months, the duc d'Orléans is blind and senile, probably unable to play his role at the event).

is it ASB to imagine that what's happened is what finally drives Frankie to "take the plunge" and marry Amalie (or would it be impossible for him to do so without setting Leopold/Eugène against any future "undeniably legitimate" children - Amalie's only 31yo)? Would she want to? After all, there was no protection for her being the mother of his children, what protection would there be in a piece of paper? After all, Josephine was cast aside despite the pope marrying she and Napoléon I.

How Coppolian can Corsican revenge be. Has Frankie man of necessity and, ex conjoined, twin?
A man of necessity. But like Henri and Angoulême, i was imagining that Frankie usually screws you over (here, using Metternich's "police state" and "informers" is to his advantage) using the system to do it.

couple questions:

would the official mourning for the Holy Roman Emperor "delay" Angoulême's coronation at all - out of a respect? Or perhaps superstition (its April 1844 and so far there've been three royal deaths in as many months, the duc d'Orléans is blind and senile, probably unable to play his role at the event).
As his wife is first cousin of the late Emperor is likely who Louis XIX will delay his coronation until the end of mourning (as at least Marie Therese and Caroline, who was Franz’s niece need to observe the mourning)
is it ASB to imagine that what's happened is what finally drives Frankie to "take the plunge" and marry Amalie (or would it be impossible for him to do so without setting Leopold/Eugène against any future "undeniably legitimate" children - Amalie's only 31yo)? Would she want to? After all, there was no protection for her being the mother of his children, what protection would there be in a piece of paper? After all, Josephine was cast aside despite the pope marrying she and Napoléon I.
Pretty unlikely who Frankie and Amalie would marry as that would be dangerous for their children and she would not be more protected against attacks

About the chapter I will say only: poor Frankie, poor Amalie and poor kids. Luckily Frankie goy out of his state and had taken his revenges…
Still he was way too generous to both Metternich and Marie Louise…
The others deserved plenty their deaths

My deepest condolencias For Frankie and Amalie. Metternich and Marie Louise can rot in he'll For all i care.
Things Will be very different in Austria with Frankie in charge, that's For sure, and different For the better

Louis XIX Will definitely delay the coronación out of respect.

And i highly doubt Frankie and dear Amalie would Mary at this point.

Last edited:
May All The Factious Troubles Cease
Soundtrack: Joachim Nicolas Eggert - Symphony no. 4 in C Minor 'War and Peace'

*exterior* *Stockholm* *we see the funeral cortège of King Carl XIV moving slowly through the streets of the capital*
*exterior* *Corvey* *a messenger arrives with the news for Prince and a (pregnant) Princess Vasa*
*exterior* *Vienna* *gardens of the Palais Augarten* *Frankie is putting 4yo Eugène on a pony* *6yo Leopold is already sitting patiently on one next to his brother* *Eugène looks a little scared [1]* *he keeps looking at the little calèche that Nardus and Lorenz are sitting in*
Eduard, Graf von Woyna, Former Austrian Ambassador to Sweden: his Majesty, King Oscar, is very concerned about Austria's position, having formerly shown such clear favour for the Prince of Vasa.
Frankie: *gently leading Eugène's pony* and does his Majesty have anything to be concerned about, Graf?
Woyna: he wonders whether Austria would...contest the succession.
Frankie: does he now. *idly* why would he wonder that? We didn't contest the succession in Paris in 1830. Or when the comte de Chambord rode in. Does King Oscar believe that we should have a reason to contest it?
Woyna: your Serene Highness' request to allow the reburial of the late King Gustaf has caused concerns.
Frankie: *gives reins to Eugène* *gently* keep your eyes in front. He'll go where you want *lets the pony walk on unaided for a few paces* I don't see the French grumbling because I allowed King Charles' corpse to be exhumed from the Stephanskirche and sent back to Paris.
Woyna: admittedly, sir, this is somewhat different.
Frankie: *watching Eugène* of course. This would be akin to my father leading the search for the corpse of St. Louis [XVI].
Woyna: exactly, sir.
Frankie: not exactly, sir, Graf von Woyna. I simply requested that King Oscar show respect to the body of a man who was king of Sweden. Is his throne so unstable that the mere presence of a corpse can topple it?
Woyna: of course not, sir. However, he fears that to agree to this would be to reignite the Gustavian hopes. There are many Swedes who pass through Corvey to see Prince Vasa.
Frankie: and there were many Englishmen who passed through Rome to see the Stuarts. Did that put them back on the throne?
Woyna: *remains silent*
Frankie: *hurries forward to right Eugène who's sliding off the saddle the way he keeps turning to look for his dad*
Woyna: *irritably walks after him*
Frankie: it was merely a request of King Oscar. I made the same request of his father when King Gustaf died. If it's not to be, then he can say no and there will be nothing further said about the matter.
Woyna: that's all it would take?
Frankie: I have no desire to go to war with Sweden. Particularly not now that the Crown Princess of Denmark [Maria Nikolaïevna] has borne her husband a son [2] and Russian grip on the Baltic might seem to be tightening. It would not be in Austrian interests to make an unnecessary enemy. Or to drive her into the arms of Prussia, when we desire nothing but friendship.
Woyna: his Majesty will be greatly relieved to hear that.
Frankie: why should he ever should've believed otherwise I chalk up to my stepfather's rantings *turns the horse around and lets it amble with Eugène back to the starting point*
Woyna: *swallows nervously [3]* of course, sir. His Majesty knew he could rely on your support for his request.
Frankie: what request is that?
Woyna: his Majesty has made a request that Prince Gustaf declare publicly that he does not intend to press the rights accruing to him or his descendants for the Swedish throne.[4]
Frankie: *chews inside of his cheek as Eugène arrives back at starting point* *having stayed on the horse the whole way* *he still looks a little skeptical about the pony but he isn't quite as worried as he was*
Woyna: your Serene Highness is to be congratulated on having a son who is so fearless at such a young age.
Frankie: and your king should not have done what he did. *signals for Leopold to ride towards him*
Woyna: it is a simple matter of form, I assure you, sir.
Frankie: no. It makes your king look weak. As though he fears a limping man [5] sitting at Corvey. He wishes to worry about stoking the Gustavian hopes? He will not do it by allowing the king's body to return but he will do it by his request. He makes mentioning the man's name or claim to the throne in Sweden treason, and yet blindly commits such a gaffe? Why didn't he just put a for sale sign on the palace in Stockholm?
Woyna: your Serene Highness exaggerates. His Majesty was only driven by concerns that Prince Vasa might...look at what the count of Chambord has done in France...and land in Sweden.
*Leopold arrives*
Frankie: does his Majesty trust me so little? *motions for Leopold to ride back[6]*
Woyna: it has nothing to do with you, sir.
Frankie: on the contrary. It has everything to do with me Graf von Woyna. My former commanding officer and a known acquaintance of mine...would the king like to accuse Austria of plotting to depose him? I have already heard the whines of Monsieur Guizot from London that that is what I have done in Paris. To ensure a friendly regime from Lisbon to the Rhine.
Woyna: that is not what his Majesty meant at all, sir.
Frankie: yet that is what it sounded like, Graf von Woyna. I wish for order. For peace. If that were to marry my cousin in Portugal off to the Chinese emperor to have obtained such a peace, I would've done so. The same for France: how many imperial soldiers did I offer the comte de Chambord for his "takeover"? Ten thousand? Fifty? A hundred? Or none. The empire simply refused to get involved in matters which did not concern us. The same as we will not get involved in either supporting your master's demand of Prince Gustaf, or any response that Prince Gustaf may or may not make to such a demand. I apologize if my answer concerns your master, but Austria will not take part in it.

*cut to drawing room of Augarten Palais* *Sophie, Grand Duchess of Baden, her sisters, Amelia and the Dowager Duchess of Oldenburg are taking tea with Amalie* *Amalie looks quiet, pale and, frankly, a bit withdrawn* *Karoline and Therese are playing with Sophie's daughters, Marie and Cäcilie and the duchess of Oldenburg's daughters, Christine and Hedwig [7]*
Sophie: Amalie, meine liebling, I cannot tell you how grateful we are that you and Franz have been spared from any further torments at the hands of those vile men.
Amalie: it means a great deal for me to hear that, Madame, both from you and from the queen of France.
Sophie: of course, dear. It's an insult to kings everywhere that some...jumped up footman like Prince Metternich should be allowed to display such utter contempt for the wishes of their sovereign.
Amelia: *quieter* will you return to Venice, now that the cloud has passed?
Amalie: *shakes head sadly* I have said to Franz that I do not wish to go. I don't think I could face that city again. To see those children *you can see the subject distresses her*
Oldenburg: *pats hand sympathetically* that's perfectly understandable. If I were the queen of France, I can't say that I would've wanted to see Paris again either.
Amalie: but she went anyway.
Sophie: because she was obliged to. One cannot be like Madame Bernadotte [Désirée Clary] and remain abroad when your husband is called to his position. You are under no such obligations. If you do not wish to return to Venice, then I do not think he should be able to force you.
Amalie: he doesn't wish me to return either. He's even offered that we should get married. To prevent such a thing from happening.
Amelia: *the air of superiority of an old maid* a wedding ring would not have stop what has happened, dear. It would've happened regardless. If Metternich was willing to *quietly* arrest your children, he would've no doubt have done what he did. Franz is foolish if he believes otherwise.
Sophie/Oldenburg: *both look at their sister like "really?"
Oldenburg: that doesn't mean that he doesn't need you, Amalie. If you do not remain near to hand, with him embarking on what will possibly be the most difficult period of his life, his attention will be divided- worrying about you.
Sophie: and Metternich will exploit that, without a doubt, to attack him for not keeping an eye on the affairs of state[8]. To make his comeback. And then, Amelia is right, he will be coming for revenge. It is why the Swedes refused to accept Gustaf as king and elected Bernadotte. Why the French deputies wait around for the other shoe to drop. As unpalatable as it may be for you to remain in Vienna, it is just as unpalatable for him.
Oldenburg: what about Schloss Eichfeld? Didn't his grandfather leave it to him[9]?
Amalie: Frankie doesn't like the place.
Sophie: he's a man, like any other. Gustaf would sleep on straw in a barn if it meant sleeping next to Marianne. And I think he would do the same for you

*cut to the Hofburg* *in one of the council rooms* *all of the late emperor's brothers are assembled* *quite a few of the younger generation - like Albrecht of Teschen and his brothers, Stephan of Hungary, Archduke Rainer's sons - are present as well*
*Frankie walks in with Franzi* *he puts Franzi in the emperor's chair at the head of the board* *and takes his position - as he always did under his grandfather - at the man's left*
Frankie: gentlemen, we are assembled here to discuss important business. In fact, the last business that my grandfather commended to my care before he sadly died. As you are all, no doubt aware, my assumption of the regency has not been without its hiccups. However, his Majesty of blessed memory foresaw this...rift...in the family. *looks pointedly at Ludwig, Johann and Rainer at the far end of the table*
*several archdukes squirm uncomfortably*
Frankie: his Majesty was also concerned with the burgeoning size of the house of Habsburgs. And how to plan for it's increase. *unfolds piece of paper* *reads* it is thus my wish that the family be divided into two parts: the famille civile and the famille imperiale. The civil family is to consist of the emperor, empress, their children and heirs, as well as the dowager. The rest of the family shall be the famille imperiale. The famille imperiale will be made up of the siblings and their descendants of previous emperors. The emperor is to remain sovereign over both, in matters regarding their marriage, any marriage contracted without the consent of the emperor, shall be deemed - without need of judgement - null and void. *looks pointedly at Johann and Ludwig* The children of such a marriage are to be considered illegitimate and neither their father nor their mother will be able to claim any inheritance or income to which they would otherwise be entitled-
*pin drop silence* *as Ludwig and Johann - both og whom have married morganatically - realize that they've just been cut off*
Frankie: *still reading* furthermore, it is our wish that while all members of the family, lawfully begotten, shall continue to bear the style of "Imperial and Royal Highness", it is our wish that this style be reserved for only the sons, grandsons and eldest male-line grandson of an emperor. With any further relation simply bearing the style of "His/Her Royal Highness, the prince or princess of Lorraine"-[10]
Ludwig: you think you can come in here with a forged letter like that and-
Karl of Teschen: it's no forgery, Ludwig. His Majesty discussed the same thing with me before he passed. Up to and including the restriction of the title of archduke to the eldest of our sons, with the younger sons being only duke of Austria as our illustrious ancestors, Frederick III and Ferdinand II, intended.
*again the pindrop silence*
Joseph: *looks at Ludwig [who was offered the Palatinate of Hungary]* what diffrence does it make to you, Ludwig? Neither you nor Johann are married or have any children anyway *tone is like "right?"* so it's not as though you would be forfeiting any inheritances or titles.
Frankie: *to Franzi* would you like to call a vote, your Imperial Highness? On whether or not we are to honour our grandfather's wishes or discard them?
Franzi: *nods* may we see the votes of all in favour? *raises his own hand*
*Karl, Joseph, Albrecht and Stephan all raise their hands* *slowly the hands of Maximilian of Modena, Cardinal Sigismund, Archbishop of Trier, Friedrich of Teschen and Sigismund's brothers, Leopold and Ernst* *really, the only opposition comes from Ludwig, Johann, and Karl of Teschen's second and youngest sons* [11]
Franzi: then it is decided. The ayes have it.

*fade to blacl

[1] basing this on Frankie's "supposed" son, Emperor Maximilian: Max hated learning to ride as a boy because he always fell off the horse. His instructors would roughly pick him up and shove him back on, despite his tears and protests. Not saying Frankie is doing that to Eugène, but it might just be that the little boy is understandably nervous. I imagine there's not a lot of place in Venice for him to learn to ride.
[2] @Jürgen @King of Danes can speculate how this will "affect" things with Denmark going forward
[3] Woyna is in a very difficult position. While he's not necessarily a Metternichian himself, his wife is lady-in-waiting/mistress of the robes to Archduchess Rainer; and when Metternich was gravely ill in 1840, there was some speculation that Woyna would be his successor at the foreign office.
[4] Oscar demanded this OTL as well
[5] Gustaf apparently suffered from a limp and a slightly crooked spine, brought on OTL by a childhood attack of rickets. He apparently rendered the limp "less noticeable" by having the sole of one shoe built up.
[6] basing this on how parents teach kids to ride a bike (even if horseriding and cycling are massively different), where they let you ride only so far by yourself, but they're always watching you. Only problem is that ponies don't come with training wheels
[7] these are her OTL sons who died in infancy. Cecile's allowed to keep custody of her daughters because the new duke of Oldenburg (Ekaterina Pavlovna's son) has children of his own already.
[8] Sophie's aware that her husband's "powers" in Germany is dependent on Frankie, so as much as she might not like him or not like his methods, she's throwing her chips in there. And while it sounds like they're attacking Amalie, the fact is that these are three women who grew up with divorced parents who lived separately. They also lived through being deposed. Their advice is less "chin up, buttercup" than trying to "troubleshoot" a solution. She might be wanting to get as far from Vienna/Venice as possible, they know Frankie is going to go after her. She's likely going to take the kids with her as well, which means he'll be distracted. So, keep her in (or at least near) Vienna is a way of keeping him focused. It's not that Frankie needs them to intercede, but they're both going through grief at the loss of a child, and Frankie's going through some more grief at the loss of his grandfather/betrayal by his uncles. He is in a vulnerable place right now, and Amalie might be the only one who's got a "handle" on him
[9] Schloss Eichfeld was personal property of Maria Karoline of Austria, Queen of Naples, and, as eldest son of her eldest daughter's eldest daughter, I could see Frankie having had a good reason to "inherit" it if the duchesse de Berri doesn't have a reason to buy it in 1837. Why not ask Henri to return Frohsdorf (not like he needs it, now)? Because D. Carlos or D. Miguel might have taken up residence there. Would not be unthinkable that Henri's offered use of the place to one of them (Miguel's probably been living somewhere other than OTL since his residence from the 1830s - Schloss Bronnbach in Baden - was likely being shelled by an invading French force), And as Isabel II's getting closer to majority age in Spain, I could see them getting antsy about D. Carlos. Less that he'll try a coup or something, but that he'd probably try to rally his supporters should the king and queen decide something he doesn't like.
[10] this is the usual restriction that takes place when a family tree grows too lush. It's less trimming back and more trying to ensure that there aren't so many "draws" on the "family money". Not sure about the "prince/ss of Lorraine" bit, but Austria was never a kingdom so "prince of Austria" sounds weird, "prince of Habsburg" as well. And to simply say "prince of Hungary and Bohemia" would be dificult, given how long those places have been associated with Austria. What this does is that it actually tightens the grip of the emperor on the family. There may have been horse-selling behind the scenes between the late emperor and Karl, Joseph and the Tuscany/Este branches (that they their "family money/estates" stay separate from the main Habsburg "cash cushion")
[11] this is not turkeys voting for Christmas twice a year, but rather all men who have benefited from Frankie (or at least would've lost had Metternich stayed in power). Ludwig and Johann's opposition is caused by the fact that either way they "lose". If they vote for it, they're unlikely to get any thanks from Frankie, if they vote against it, they can at least hope to delay. Karl Ferdinand and Wilhelm of Teschen votes against it because he's the only one who hasn't received anything from Frankie yet. And, TBH, in Karl Ferdinand's case, that might rankle, since his brother, Archduke Friedrich, is both governor of Genoa and acting First Sea Lord of Austria. But Ludwig and Johann, since they're out of the family (similarly to Lucien Bonaparte), they've lost their power to sting. The only way they can get that back is if they side with Metternich. Which may be what Frankie's counting on

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @Vitruvius

Last edited:
As his wife is first cousin of the late Emperor is likely who Louis XIX will delay his coronation until the end of mourning (as at least Marie Therese and Caroline, who was Franz’s niece need to observe the mourning)
Louis XIX Will definitely delay the coronación out of respect.
So likely six months - the end of "full mourning", following six months was "half mourning" - postponement then? To, say...August/September?
Pretty unlikely who Frankie and Amalie would marry as that would be dangerous for their children and she would not be more protected against attacks
And i highly doubt Frankie and dear Amalie would Mary at this point.
hope you don't mind that I've included your sentiments above
About the chapter I will say only: poor Frankie, poor Amalie and poor kids.
My deepest condolencias For Frankie and Amalie
thank you
Luckily Frankie goy out of his state and had taken his revenges…
Things Will be very different in Austria with Frankie in charge, that's For sure, and different For the better
hope you approve of how he took his vengeance on his [great]uncles
Still he was way too generous to both Metternich and Marie Louise…
. Metternich and Marie Louise can rot in he'll For all i care.
I did originally consider Frankie's soldiers abandoning Metternich and the man getting killed by the mob setting his coach alight
The others deserved plenty their deaths
agreed

So likely six months - the end of "full mourning", following six months was "half mourning" - postponement then? To, say...August/September?
Sounds good.
hope you don't mind that I've included your sentiments above
Don't mind in the slightest, but glad to see Amalie will continue to support frankie
thank you
Always
hope you approve of how he took his vengeance on his [great]uncles
I very much approve
I did originally consider Frankie's soldiers abandoning Metternich and the man getting killed by the mob setting his coach alight
May they rot in disgrace and failure.

probably a stupid question, but what would happen if Angoulême/Henri (as part of their rebuilding Paris) orders the Thiers Walls dismantled? After all, as Gustaf Vasa notes on his visit to Paris when his father dies, "walls are just as good for keeping people in as it is for keeping people out". And one of the things of the Revolution was that the king had built the walls around Paris in order to more effectively tax the goods coming in and exiting

@Fehérvári @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @marcinL should/would the Silesian Weavers' Uprising still occur in June 1844? OTL it was against Prussia's free trade policy (according to wiki), because industrialization basically killed the industry in many places. Would Austria's policies (technically still Metternich's) cause a lesser/worse result than OTL. Or would the war have acted as a sort of release valve?

@Fehérvári @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @marcinL should/would the Silesian Weavers' Uprising still occur in June 1844? OTL it was against Prussia's free trade policy (according to wiki), because industrialization basically killed the industry in many places. Would Austria's policies (technically still Metternich's) cause a lesser/worse result than OTL. Or would the war have acted as a sort of release valve?
If not else, the war certainly restricted trade (atleast) to some degree, so even if it does still happen, I would say it should be delayed.

I think wartime restrictions would even hasten it's happening.

If not else, the war certainly restricted trade (atleast) to some degree, so even if it does still happen, I would say it should be delayed.
I think wartime restrictions would even hasten it's happening.
so coin toss then?

Still hoping that Frankie can rule France.
he's gonna be a bit busy in Germany until 1848/1849, and its gonna be damnably awkward now that he's been regent of their traditional enemy

And honestly from how he’s been portrayed here. He’s better not near a crown
oh?

probably a stupid question, but what would happen if Angoulême/Henri (as part of their rebuilding Paris) orders the Thiers Walls dismantled?
It's only 1843 (I think) and the walls weren't finished until 1846 OTL. With all the chaos in France in the last few years, it's unlikely that much work has been done. So it's more a matter of halting construction than demolition. And the construction process included seizing a lot of land, and also declaring even more land reserved to be the field of fire in front of the works.

Stopping all that would make the owners happy. And save a lot of money.