Under the Southern Cross we Stand, a sprig of Wattle in our hand

Good portrayal of a tricky political issue and good to see that Caroline is aware of the fragility of her position as the first female Protector.
It's a political reality. The fact is, the position involves very little real power in most circumstances. Like most modern heads of state outside an executive president set up, it fulfills an important function, but a mainly ceremonial one. This is one of those other circumstances where there is capacity to make a decision, but no matter the decision made, it will be resented by one side or the other.

Now she would have to see both George Dibbs and Chris Watson.
I think you mean John Watson.
I thought they gained it much earlier:
The composition of the People’s House was to consist of a variable number of members for each State, based on electoral districts, each comprising 10,000 eligible voters, but at least one for each state. Eligible voters comprised all men over 21 and all women over 30 resident for more than 12 months in Australasia. It was left to the discretion of State governments whether natives were eligible to vote, ultimately leaving them eligible only in Tasmania, Aotearoa and New Zealand.

12 March 1891, - Saving the Tiger
12 March 1891, Australasian Club, William Street, Melbourne, Australasian Protectorate

Tasmanian Premier Henry Dodson rose to meet his guest. "Mr Prime Minister."

"Hmmph. I may be Prime Minister for long, Henry. I am afraid this mess is the sort of thing that could bring down governments. In addition, I was in the process of trying to wind down and retire, now I have had this thrust upon me. I am rising 77 years of age and I wonder if I will ever be allowed to retire."

"What will the girl do?"

"She is a woman of 30, Henry, hardly a girl. She had a good brain and her father taught her well enough. She will reject the bill, I am quite certain on that. It's how she frames that rejection that really matters. Now, how are things in Tasmania?"

"Well enough. The mining boom on the West Coast is ever ongoing. Tin, gold, silver, lead, zinc, copper, they have even found osmiridium."

"What is that?"

"Some naturally occurring alloy that they apparently use in pen nibs, Adye."

Adye Douglas considered his next question. "Are you still keen on promoting Tasmania as a tourist destination?"

"Of course, it has been very much in my sights and remains one of my main objectives," replied Dodson.

"Well, I suggest your government remove that ridiculous bounty on the tiger, my friend. It would not do for the animal on the State's coat of arms to go extinct. In addition, nature lovers actually travel to the state to see the thing. Most have no idea that the chances of that happening for such a shy animal are very low.

In fact, if I was you, I would introduce a system where farmer may be able to be compensated for tigers attacking sheep, which you know full well are 90% of the time domestic dogs, in any case."

It was to be a far reaching conversation, resulting in the Tasmanian Tiger surviving in the Far North East and East Coast, far North West and Savage River areas, as well as Bruny Island, where it was later introduced.

12 March 1891, - Decision made
12 March 1891, Protector's Palace, Melbourne, Protectorate of Australasia

Caroline Plantagenet had seen George Dibbs, the Opposition Leader. It did not require an extensive conversation to make it clear in her own mind that the man's position was entirely based on political expediency. What he stood for, what he really believed himself, remained unknown. She had gently challenged him on his point of view, but the man was all piss and wind. It had become clear in the last few days that Dibbs, although a senior statesman of the Liberal Protectionists and nominally their leader, relied almost exclusively on the support of the coming man in the party, Edmund Barton and his lieutenant, Alfred Deakin. She felt it was only a matter of time before both surpassed Dibbs.

John Watson had been pleasant and urbane, but then again, so were Deakin and Barton. She recalled the key parts of the conversation she had with Watson.

"I wonder what it is you hope to achieve with this legislation Mr Watson? Do you have a particular antipathy towards those of Asian or Pacific Islander descent. Or even people of mixed blood, such as myself?" Caroline Plantagenet's tone hardened on the later sentence.

Watson drew a deep breath. "No, Your Excellency, I do not. Everyone has a place in this world. We have expanded our borders, expanded our horizons to include people from Pacific Islands locations. If I am truly honest, I was uncomfortable with this at first, but have become more comfortable with it in time. However, it is the people, all of the people, that we need to look after. We need to look after Australasian workers, whose conditions of work are the envy of all other countries world wide.

However, the day will come, and perhaps is not far distant, when we will look round to see the globe girdled with a continuous zone of the black and yellow races, no longer too weak for aggression or under tutelage, but independent, monopolizing the trade of their own regions, circumscribing the industry of the Europeans; invited to international conferences and welcomed as allies in quarrels of the civilized world. Witness this government's treaty of alliance with China. The citizens of these countries will then throng our country, more so even than now, we will be subject to inter-marriage. It is idle to say that if all this should come to pass we shall wake to find ourselves elbowed and hustled, thrust aside by peoples whom we looked down upon as servile and thought of as bound to minister to our needs. If we do nothing, this will be inevitable. We need to preserve our way of life.. Perhaps I could be more temperate with my own language, but the last is the crux of this. We need to preserve our way of life."

"Mr Watson. John. You have known me a long time, as you knew my father. Do you consider me to be Australasian, even though my mother was a Maori?"
"Your Excellency, of course..."
"What about Hugh Glass, or even his mother for that matter. You are both members of the Savage Club, after all..."
"Hugh is a good man, of course, but he is not like most Chinamen, or half Chinaman I suppose."
"What about George Chung-Gon. George has been a Senator for Northern Australia for 20 years, only of the most long lived in Parliament?"
"I have nothing against George, he looks after his employees, seem a good man."

Caroline Plantagenet felt she had more of a handle on Watson now. For many, this was how it was. They could have non white friends, even people they admired. Yet in their mind, these were always the exception. The "good" yellow, brown or black people. Not like the other, unseen and unknown mass of people out there that they were sure were bent on the destruction of their way of life. At least if this heinous proposed legislation did not propose to remove residents already in Australasia. At least yet.

"John, where you see differences, aliens, I see people who simply want a better life. I cannot for the life of me see how, after 40 years of immigration, that people have not fitted in. Do they come with different customs? Yes. Yet, if you look past this to the second generation, most have been schooled here, grown up here. They adopt, in 98% of cases, our culture, whilst still retaining a smattering of their own. Many have the right to ask ‘how long do you have to be here and how much I have to love this country before I am accepted?’ Can you understand that point of view?"

"Yes, I..."

Finally, she had made up her mind. "John, tomorrow I will issue, in conjunction with the Chief Justice, a rejection of the Immigration Exclusion Bill(1891). Despite our conversation here, and I ask you to think on what was discussed, the reason, indeed the sole reason, I shall be doing so is based on the following.

I see my role, as my father explained to me, as to simply support parliament as the primary organ of decision making in this country. I have investigated this and taken advice and the only conclusion I can come to is the following. Parliament is an expression of the people's will. If the full compliment of members were present on the day the bill was submitted, it would have duly been rejected on the nay of the Speaker. That being the case, I am bound to make the same determination.

As you are well aware, my role is only to advise and resolve any constitutional impediments. I cannot remove a government unless I believe they have acted unlawfully. If, you and your party gains the ascent in parliament, you are, of course, welcome to resubmit this bill, although I personally hope you would not do so."

Last edited:
That is a very good way of presenting her position. It folds really nicely into both her role and the role of Parliament as a whole.

Also a really nice look at the hypocrisy of racist beliefs in practice.

It was to be a far reaching conversation, resulting in the Tasmanian Tiger surviving in the Far North East and East Coast, far North West and Savage River areas, as well as Bruny Island, where it was later introduced.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. This has made my day, kinda timely as well I was just reading an article about how they found the hide of the last tiger: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12...er-remains-found-in-museum-cupboard/101733008
I wonder how tameable they are, I have a vague memory that Quolls can be decent pets.

Last edited:
20 August 1891 - Chistchurch Class cruisers
20 August 1891, PNS Christchurch, Port Nicholson, Aotearoa

Rear Admiral William Panter took the salute from the forecastle of the protected cruiser. Naval design had changed so much over the last ten years that the four Christchurch Class cruisers, when completed in 1885-86, were already a dated design. Refits in 1890-91 had seen all four lose their rigging and masts, as well as two 6 inch guns, but gain a proper bridge structure and an extra 9 inch weapon, with both being equipped with more modern turrets.

The Christchurch Class had been followed by the more modern Adelaide Class, on a similar tonnage and armament, but with a more powerful power plant. It gave the navy six cruisers, as well as seven torpedo gunboats and 8 smaller torpedo boats, as well as a transport, a collier, sail training vessel. Two battleships would commission in the next six to nine months. In addition, three more battleships, nine cruisers and 6 torpedo boats were under construction.

By 1894, the older ironclads, along with the older sailing rig screwed sloops, the older gunboats and the iron hulled corvettes and frigates would all be retired and the Protectorate Navy would be a modern looking force consisting of 5 battleships, 15 cruisers, seven torpedo gunboats, 14 torpedo boats, a transport, a collier, a mine-layer and a sail training vessel.

Now this is a nice butterfly.
Yes, it is indeed. My father insisted he saw a tiger when he was a boy as long as he lived. Said it was during the early war years (around 1940). He wasn't the sort of person to make stuff up, either.

Yes! One of Australia's most iconic animals surviving to the modern day. Absolutely beautiful
Sadly it's another iconic animal lost to us. I have no doubt they lived in the wild post 1936, but I'm pretty sure they are gone now.

That is a very good way of presenting her position. It folds really nicely into both her role and the role of Parliament as a whole.

Also a really nice look at the hypocrisy of racist beliefs in practice.
For many people, it's all about the unseen masses. They can have friend from one ethnic group or another and think "yeah, he/she is OK." But still think, yeah, but the rest of them, they are no good.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. This has made my day, kinda timely as well I was just reading an article about how they found the hide of the last tiger: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12...er-remains-found-in-museum-cupboard/101733008
I wonder how tameable they are, I have a vague memory that Quolls can be decent pets.
Yeah, they are an animal I would love to have alive today. Quolls can be hand reared, especially Eastern Quolls. The bigger spotties are quite ratty and do not respond as well to being handled.

26 Decemeber 1891, - Boxing Day Test
26 December 1891, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Aurelia, Protectorate of Australasia

Australasia might have separated from her former mother country in Britain, but there hardly any lack of enthusiasm for the game of cricket. Caroline Plantagenet stifled a snigger when one older gentleman's head whipped around at the sight of her taking a seat with her husband in the member's pavilion. Women had first voted in an election in Australasia as early as 1860, however, women were not admitted to the venerable Melbourne Cricket Club. However, as it's Patron, she was, of course excepted.

She herself loved the game, a legacy inherited from her own father. The lingering bitterness of the country splitting from the United Kingdom had certainly made for an engrossing encounter whenever Australasia played visiting English teams or sent teams to England for what were now described as "Test Matches", including a riot and pitch invasion in 1878. Despite England being regarded as the home of cricket, Australasia was catching up. From the very first tour in 1873-74, led by the famous W.G Grace, matches had been hard fought, Australasia had first won in 1876/77, followed by a famous win at Lords in 1878, her first in England. Australasia had won 11, England 19.

The ease of rail commuting, despite the distances involved, was to stimulate the growth of a domestic competition between the Australian states. This had commenced in 1883-84, based on a grant provided by her late father, who had sold off the only possession not mortgaged when his late father had died, a sugar plantation in Jamaica. backed from money from the Glass family, this had been used to kick start a competition. Initially, it's teams had been Aurelia, New South Wales and South Australia. However, it had proven to be a great commercial success, with large crowds. Capricornia was to join in 1885-86, be followed by New England, Tasmania, New Zealand and Riverina in the current season.

Of course, cricket was not the only use of the ground. The other sport drawing large crowds was Australian Rules Football. Despite only having a life of less than 30 years, it was drawing enormous crowds and was very popular in all states except New Zealand, Fiji, New South Wales and Aotearoa, where English Rugby Rules developed as the leading winter sport instead. It's lack of popularity spoke volumes of the rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. In Melbourne, the brutal nature of the game appealed to all sections of society, especially to the miners. The Auelian Football Association consisted of Melbourne, Geelong, Carlton, North Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Fitzroy, South Melbourne, Richmond, Footscray, Hawthorn-East Melbourne, Williamstown, Port Melbourne and Collingwood.

29 December 1891, - Adye Douglas goes
29 December 1891, Woolahara, Sydney, New South Wales

Parliament had been in recess for over a month when he was to receive the telegram. It was from Adye Douglas.

"My own and family sickness require I stay in Launceston. STOP. Recommend you as deputy immediately take over leadership and position of Prime Minister. STOP. If I return will be only as loyal back-bencher. STOP. Have telegraphed Protector. She will confirm position and swear in new cabinet before resumption in March. STOP. Adye"

George Reid had just become Australasia's sixth Prime Minister, Adye Douglas's desire to remove himself from the pressures of the Prime Ministership and his own flagging health finally catching up with him. It was coming at a more difficult time. Unemployment was slowly creeping up, rents were rising and wages, for so long rising even beyond the cost f living, were beginning to stagnate. The gold and mineral rushes, for so long a feature of events, were also starting to slow in all other areas than Swan River. It would be a challenging assignment, especially with an election due in 14 months.

Last edited: